Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 22:12

Thomas wrote:One thing is not clear for me, are the new franchises owned by

Sudamerica Rugby? The Unions? or will they eventually be privately owned?

What is the business model? Make a loss and eventually make profit? Has anything been released on how this franchises will be managed?

Kinda sorta the Pro14/Super Rugby model where some teams might be owned by individuals and others are owned partially by the Unions and the Competition is owned by the Unions...which of course makes for a mess!

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 22:37

Tobar wrote:Ceibos are 100% owned by private investors

I don’t think the private investor has 100%. He only handles the commercial side of the venture. The UAR is the one compensating the players > http://uar.com.ar/2019/11/29/argentina- ... -de-rugby/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 03:27

carbonero wrote:
Tobar wrote:Ceibos are 100% owned by private investors

I don’t think the private investor has 100%. He only handles the commercial side of the venture. The UAR is the one compensating the players > http://uar.com.ar/2019/11/29/argentina- ... -de-rugby/

Like a minor league baseball team!

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 21:14

Some signings for SLAR:

Ceibos
Tomás Cubilla (Argentina) https://twitter.com/slarugby/status/120 ... 94977?s=21

Peñarol
Guillermo Pujadas (Uruguay)
Diego Arbelo (Uruguay)
https://twitter.com/ignaciochans/status ... 29986?s=20

Selknam
Ignacio Silva (Chile) https://twitter.com/slarugby/status/120 ... 03969?s=21

Lions
Renato Cardona (Paraguay) http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/1 ... pia-lions/

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 21:26

ESPN will broadcast every game. This has ESPN 3 written all over it so let’s hope they open streams for the ones that don’t have digital cable packages (or ESPN Play). They are also negotiating free-to-air options in each market.

Ceibos could host matches outside of Córdoba in cities like Mendoza, Rosario, Santa Fe and Paraná. They will play three friendlies in February.

Source: http://rugby.com.ar

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 21:47

Will ESPN host all the games for every country? Or are you hearing this just for Argentina so far. ESPN seems to be the home of rugby in South America so it makes sense to include, especially because there is already a market which shows games. They even show the ARC so they are clearly interested in matches that most may not care as much about.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 22:34

ESPN has presence in every market so they shouldn’t have problems hosting games.

However, SLAR wants free-to-air channels to pick them up because ESPN would never broadcast them in basic cable. Most ARC matches here go in ESPN 3. Nobody watches that channel.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 22:35

I asked ESPN Brasil, still no answer. But most likely yes.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 23:08

Start was pushed to March 6 due to the carnaval. Friday night games in the summer but as the climate cools they could play on Sunday afternoons > https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/pineyrua ... -regiones/

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 00:04

carbonero wrote:Start was pushed to March 6 due to the carnaval. Friday night games in the summer but as the climate cools they could play on Sunday afternoons > https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/pineyrua ... -regiones/

Those are big news. We, Argentina, can have the matches in HD with Televisión Pública (free-to-air channel). Moreover, ESPN is supposed to be the holder of all the matches.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 00:17

Hey guys, who else likes the idea of opening a new subreddit about SLAR?

I like this forum but it's certainly not that easy to arrive here. The idea of that subreddit is to share and discuss all we can find about that league in Spanish and Portuguese. That should help people who aren't so diehard fans of rugby and don't speak English to get into the league (or become diehard fans as most of us).

I don't know whether we should ask for permission to Sudamérica Rugby or not. Maybe it's only matter of starting one and see.

So, what're your thoughts?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 00:50

MLR Reddit was started by Americans I believe, so I doubt there's an issue with you starting one. I'd contribute, but I don't speak Spanish, lol.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 06:43

I was wondering how come nobody did already.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 14:19

TuMachNach wrote:Hey guys, who else likes the idea of opening a new subreddit about SLAR?

I like this forum but it's certainly not that easy to arrive here. The idea of that subreddit is to share and discuss all we can find about that league in Spanish and Portuguese. That should help people who aren't so diehard fans of rugby and don't speak English to get into the league (or become diehard fans as most of us).

I don't know whether we should ask for permission to Sudamérica Rugby or not. Maybe it's only matter of starting one and see.

You can go ahead and make it whenever you want - we made the MLR sub (Stro and I are admins).

Just be mindful of the fact that it’s going to take a long time to get traffic over there, especially if your plan is to have more Spanish/Portuguese speakers there. From what I see, there aren’t tons of South Americans (who are also rugby fans) who use Reddit - it’s very popular among Americans and Europeans which has helped grow MLR. Someone made a T2 rugby sub and no one really went there sadly, probably because it’s too broad of a topic to bring people in. I also saw plenty of redditors say “but rugby isn’t that big so you’re just fragmenting the community and I like seeing the occasional T2 rugby post (and just upvoting and moving on)”

I say go for it, I will definitely join. But it’s going to take a lot of work to get an active following and it will likely be just you posting for some time. But Reddit is much better for discussing specific stories rather than an entire topic like SLAR or the REC. I would say that if you keep it to just Spanish then that will hinder its growth. Post whatever stories you find though - if they’re in Spanish then people can read and respond in Spanish and if they’re in English they can do the same.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 14:59

carbonero wrote:Start was pushed to March 6 due to the carnaval. Friday night games in the summer but as the climate cools they could play on Sunday afternoons > https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/pineyrua ... -regiones/

Why is he speaking again about 6 teams in 2020?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 15:29

It's technically still 6 teams, though in reality it's 5 teams playing for the actual league. But of course saying 6 teams sounds better than saying 5 teams.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 18:16

Just noticed that this mentions games will also be shown on Public TV. Is this common for rugby? And is this referring to free-to-air TV?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 18:43

Tobar wrote:

Just noticed that this mentions games will also be shown on Public TV. Is this common for rugby? And is this referring to free-to-air TV?

Sounds like: No

carbonero wrote:ESPN has presence in every market so they shouldn’t have problems hosting games.

However, SLAR wants free-to-air channels to pick them up because ESPN would never broadcast them in basic cable. Most ARC matches here go in ESPN 3. Nobody watches that channel.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 19:16

Tobar wrote:Just noticed that this mentions games will also be shown on Public TV. Is this common for rugby? And is this referring to free-to-air TV?

Yeah, it is free-to-air. TV Pública only broadcasts Argentina every four years during the RWC

I doubt they can get them to carry the league. The channel has stable programming. Giving Friday prime time to rugby doesn’t seem plausible. Maybe I’m wrong. Also, we are in the middle of a change of government. I don’t know who the fuck is part of the negotiations.

The other possibility is DeporTV. Owned by the public sport agency, it is a digital channel in Buenos Aires but a lot of cable providers outside of the capital have it in their basic bundle. Still, there are plenty of OTA options. I imagine SLAR is talking to local channels in the Córdoba region.

TheStroBro wrote:Sounds like: No

Not really. You can have games simultaneously in free-to-air TV and in ESPN channels. That happens during the RWC.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 21:21

carbonero wrote:
Tobar wrote:Just noticed that this mentions games will also be shown on Public TV. Is this common for rugby? And is this referring to free-to-air TV?

Yeah, it is free-to-air. TV Pública only broadcasts Argentina every four years during the RWC

I doubt they can get them to carry the league. The channel has stable programming. Giving Friday prime time to rugby doesn’t seem plausible. Maybe I’m wrong. Also, we are in the middle of a change of government. I don’t know who the fuck is part of the negotiations.

The other possibility is DeporTV. Owned by the public sport agency, it is a digital channel in Buenos Aires but a lot of cable providers outside of the capital have it in their basic bundle. Still, there are plenty of OTA options. I imagine SLAR is talking to local channels in the Córdoba region.

Well, TDA (Televisión Digital Abierta) plattform in Argentina is a huge win for us. I know that TDA (DeporTV belongs to it) is available in almost the whole country. I have no idea whether that works in Tierra del Fuego or not, because if that do so, the whole Argentina have access to TDA. TV Pública could be an immense roulette because all depends on the new Goverment whether they want to create "Fútbol para todos" again or give that space to Rugby (That's without counting possible Cadenas Nacionales or a show which follows the guidelines of the new Goverment).

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 21:45

Tobar wrote:
TuMachNach wrote:Hey guys, who else likes the idea of opening a new subreddit about SLAR?

You can go ahead and make it whenever you want - we made the MLR sub (Stro and I are admins).

Just be mindful of the fact that it’s going to take a long time to get traffic over there, especially if your plan is to have more Spanish/Portuguese speakers there. From what I see, there aren’t tons of South Americans (who are also rugby fans) who use Reddit - it’s very popular among Americans and Europeans which has helped grow MLR. Someone made a T2 rugby sub and no one really went there sadly, probably because it’s too broad of a topic to bring people in. I also saw plenty of redditors say “but rugby isn’t that big so you’re just fragmenting the community and I like seeing the occasional T2 rugby post (and just upvoting and moving on)”

I say go for it, I will definitely join. But it’s going to take a lot of work to get an active following and it will likely be just you posting for some time. But Reddit is much better for discussing specific stories rather than an entire topic like SLAR or the REC. I would say that if you keep it to just Spanish then that will hinder its growth. Post whatever stories you find though - if they’re in Spanish then people can read and respond in Spanish and if they’re in English they can do the same.

Yep, I understand this is a matter of time to get traffic over a new subreddit. As I see it, SLARurgby subreddit should not have the same problems of being seen as a something that is fragmenting the community because the main idea is to share ideas with all the people that arrive there and mainly in Spanish/Portuguese (many rugby subreddit are in English and not all the fans understand it). Nevertheless, this should be open to all people who want to post something interesting in English or another language but people who speak another language should undertand that, maybe, a few/none undestand that language. Imagine if someone who speaks Spanish and doesn't understand a word in English post something interesting in MLRugby subreddit, How will those redditors response if that guy can only answer in Spanish?

On the other hand, thanks for the good vibres. I am thinking this would be better to open the subreddit as soon as 2020 begins because many of the news about the league will start next year, near the KO date.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 21:57

I'd say make the subreddit now, no reason to wait. As long as you remain consistent and post news/discussion posts whenever you find it, by the time the league launches then there will already be plenty of news articles and discussion points for new fans who are unsure of what to expect. You can also crosspost important updates from r/SLARugby to r/rugbyunion so that you pull over some of those fans. You can also start to crosspost some things over to r/argentina which seems to have a pretty active community.

From my experience on r/Colombia, there are a lot of people who post and reply in English, however there are many times where everyone speaks in Spanish on the threads. Surely if you post an article in Spanish it will likely attract more Spanish speakers than English speakers so the discussion will vary.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 23:21

I don't know much about Reddit, but is there a way to link both the SLAR and MLR threads together? Might be useful to have both North and South American leagues working with each other.

Postby Raven » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 23:29

With Leguizamon close to Seattle and Gonzalez Iglesias in the verge of securing a season in Japan, the 3rd Jaguares castaway is Bautista Ezcurra who is likely to stay in Argentina playing for Ceibos as there aren’t a load of teams looking to hire him and he still has a running UAR contract.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby TuMachNach » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 00:16

Tobar wrote:I'd say make the subreddit now, no reason to wait. As long as you remain consistent and post news/discussion posts whenever you find it, by the time the league launches then there will already be plenty of news articles and discussion points for new fans who are unsure of what to expect. You can also crosspost important updates from r/SLARugby to r/rugbyunion so that you pull over some of those fans. You can also start to crosspost some things over to r/argentina which seems to have a pretty active community.

r/argentina is a really active subreddit but only a few redditors follow Rugby. Sadly, most of these redditors are against Rugby because of some nonsense prejudice. If you understand Spanish, you would see that almost all r/argentina community is what we should avoid to come to a subreddit about rugby in SouthAmerica but none could lose with trying it.

About articles or post in English, there's always someone who can write and answer in English. That's not a problem.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum