COSFA 18 vs 17 FTM

Makis Stadium, Andohatapenaka, Antananarivo
Attendance: Approximately 15,000 (paying) spectators
Erratum Stadium: Attendance: 20.000 (paying) spectators

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Edgar » Mon, 20 Jan 2020, 08:09

Nelspruit, now known as Mbombela, is the capital of the Mpumalanga province just 60kms from Mozambique and 50km from eSwatini. There is a huge difference between its urban population - just 60,000 - and metropolitan population - over half-a-million, which I believe has something to do with the abundance of black townships surrounding the city. It's main rugby stadium - a multi-purpose venue built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup - seats 40K.

The All Blacks could be facing the world champion Springboks in the test rugby outpost of Nelspruit this year.

Reports in South Africa suggest that the city in the north-east of South Africa close to the Mozambique border could host the Rugby Championship test on September 26.

It seems a strange choice given the hype of the occasion – the first test between rugby's biggest rivals since the Boks won the World Cup in Japan after the All Blacks had taken the previous two tournaments.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/118 ... -2020-test

Perhaps they could pay a visit to Mozambique while they're at it, like the 1971 All Blacks did :roll:

Also, eSwatini has one of the largest rugby communities in the world per capita with 11K players from a population of just 1.3 million :geek:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 20 Jan 2020, 09:31

I believe the British and Irish Lions will also play a game in Nelspruit. The Mpumulanga Pumas are probably the strongest South African union and team which does not play in either Super Rugby or Pro 14. I think they probably would like to get into one of those tournaments. I personally would like to see the Mpumulanga Pumas in the Pro 14, with a Super Rugby team such as the Blue Bulls moving to the Pro 14 also.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Mon, 20 Jan 2020, 17:19

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I believe the British and Irish Lions will also play a game in Nelspruit. The Mpumulanga Pumas are probably the strongest South African union and team which does not play in either Super Rugby or Pro 14. I think they probably would like to get into one of those tournaments. I personally would like to see the Mpumulanga Pumas in the Pro 14, with a Super Rugby team such as the Blue Bulls moving to the Pro 14 also.

The Springboks' only tests at the venue, apparently, were during a 4-Nations tournament in 2013, also involving Scotland, Italy and Samoa, and a one-off international against Wales in 2015, which the hosts won by 31 points to 30.

#Kenya Cup results from the weekend:

Kabras Sugar * 34 Kenya Harlequin 3

Stanbic Mwamba 13 * Top Fry Nakuru 18

Resolution Impala 39 * Menengai Oilers 29*

Nondescripts 11 Homeboyz RFC 37 *

BlakBlad 44 * Western Bulls 0

Kisumu 7 KCB *55

http://www.ragahouse.com/news/item/matc ... ft-results

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 20:03

Mauritania, apparently still suspended from World Rugby, has a three team club championship up and running. At the weekend Fennecs defeated Riyad Tigres in an all-Nouakchott affair. Looks like all the points came from unconverted tries! The third team, Les Requins d’El Mina, are also from the capital:

Le score final du match Fennecs 45 – 30 Tigres .

Rendez-vous est pris le dimanche 26 janvier 2020 pour le match Requins d’El Mina contre les Fennecs d’Amoukrouz, au stade Olympique de Nouakchott.

Le classement de la première journée :

1er Les Fennecs d’Amoukrouz (05 points, 9 essais, +15)

2e Les Tigres de Riyad (00 point, 6 essais, -15)

3e Les Requins d’El Mina (00 point)

https://fr.africanews.com/2020/01/21/ma ... -rugby-xv/

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Wed, 22 Jan 2020, 08:11

Uganda results from the weekend:

Nile Special Stout Rugby Premier League results

Mongers 20-00 Impis

Warriors 09-43 Heathens

Rams 25-11 Rhinos

Kobs 23-11 Pirates

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/kobs-shine- ... ague-loss/

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 22 Jan 2020, 11:43

Photo from the first day of the Mauritania XVs championship, see http://www.rugbyafrique.com/mauritanie- ... v/?lang=fr

" le terrain sablonneux " - no kidding, but then again I don't suppose there is much grass around Nouakchott.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Jan 2020, 13:30

Why exactly were they suspended?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Pitcairn IslandPitcairn Island

Postby Adamstown 7's » Fri, 24 Jan 2020, 11:18

What happened to Rugby in Tanzania?
They were once fairly competitive in the African competitions and were, of course, a part of the old East African Rugby team too, although most of the players originally were mostly white settlers from Kenya.
Kenya and Uganda are 2 of the stronger teams in African Rugby in 2020 so what went wrong with Tanzania? They were also founding members of Confederation of African Rugby if I'm not mistaken.
They haven't been on the radar for a while now, has anyone heard any news regarding their return to international Rugby?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 24 Jan 2020, 20:26

Mauritania: No active competition, apparently. Lack of finances and infrastructure also a problem, and finally the national team - Les Oryx - stopped playing midway through the previous decade. Their only win from 9 games had been against Libya, 10-5, in a development competition 10 years ago. I believe an active senior competition is prerequisite for World Rugby membership. This is why Nigeria was also banned. NB: Fennecs is the only survivor of the 4-team club championship that operated early last decade. The other two teams now involved are new.

Tanzania: The Twigas (Swahili for 'Giraffes),' have played about 20 internationals, attaining a reasonable standard and beating Kenya 'A' 12 years ago. They also reached the Africa 2nd division South final in 2007 but lost heavily to Botswana. They don't appear to have been very active during the past decade, notwithstanding various 7s tournaments on the continent. Colonized by the Germans before the British, they have never had much of a rugby tradition.

Kenya's Kiwi 7s coach Paul Feeney spoke to World Rugby media ahead of this weekend’s Hamilton 7s, while star players Willy Ambaka and Collins Injera say “it’s all about having fun.” http://www.ragahouse.com/news/item/inje ... hero-buffa

Kenyan International Geoffrey Okwach has been named the Most Promising player -Boys category at the Sports Personality of the Year Award (SOYA) Gala held in Mombasa.

The winger is away with Kenya 7s awaiting his World 7s Series debut as Kenya take on the field at 2:41 am in the Hamilton 7s. Okwatch was part of Kenya Under 20 squad that won the Barthes Cup in April 2019 beating Namibia 21-18 at the KCB Sports Club to qualify for the World Junior Trophy.

He was with the team at the World Junior Trophy impressing once again on the wing as Kenya finished sixth in the competition.
https://www.scrummage.co.ke/2020/01/24/kenya-7s-geoffrey-okwach-named-most-promising-personality-at-soya/

Meanwhile, Ougadougou will be hosting a friendly XVs encounter between the local University and Veterans' teams on Sunday, which seems to be the cause of much excitement across Burkina Faso:

Gabon

RCG 17 vs 22 Vautours XV
Erco XV 11 vs 15 SOOF Rugby Club

Équipe J V D N PT BO BD Diff Pts Total
SOOF 2 2 0 0 8 0 0 11 8
Erco XV 2 1 1 0 5 0 1 14 6
Vautours 2 1 1 0 5 0 1 -2 6
RCG 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 -5 2
RCL 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 -18 1
POG 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

January 25

Kenya Cup 12 results

Kenya Harlequin vs Homeboyz 3-48
Kisumu vs Kabras Sugar 13-59
Western Bulls vs KCB 8-29
Impala vs Nondies 28-18
Top Fry Nakuru vs Menengai Oilers 19-17
Mwamba vs BlakBlad 15-14
http://www.ragahouse.com/news/item/matc ... ve-results

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 22:32

Uganda:

Week 6 Nile Stout Rugby results:

Impis Rugby FC 13-68 Kobs Rugby Club

SHELL Rimula Rhinos 21-33 Mongers RUGBY CLUB Entebbe

Black Pirates Rugby Club 13-15 RAMS RUFC

Toyota Buffaloes 13-10 9 Barrels Warriors RFC.9 Barrels Warriors RFC.

Hima Cement Heathens RFC 56-00 Jinja Hippos Rugby Club

Oh, & that game in Ougadougou: Match amical ORC 10 Vs 07 Vétéran

RUGBY UNION RETURNS TO NIGERIAN NATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVAL

LAGOS, Nigeria, January 27, 2020 – Rugby Union is set to return to the National Sports Festival 2020 after a ten year absence having missed out in the last three editions held in Lagos, Rivers and Abuja.The Nigerian National Sports Festival is a biennial multi-sport event organized by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the National Sports Commission for athletes from the 36 States of Nigeria.

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/rugby-union ... -festival/

SA coaching still a white boys' club?

SA Rugby president Mark Alexander says the governing body is unsatisfied with the makeup of the coaching staff of South Africa’s Vodacom Super Rugby franchises.

As it stands, none of the South African franchises have coaching staff headed up by a black head coach.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/alexander- ... formation/

Interview with outgoing Ghana president Herbert Mensah:

“I remember watching Namibia play for the first time in the World Cup. I remember watching Japan play for the first time in the World Cup—and all of them receiving 100 points. And people laughing and saying ‘ha, ha, ha’. And then I roll the clock forward and watch Japan beat Ireland in this (2019) World Cup and giving the other nations a really tough time. I watched Namibia, and so on and so forth, do a lot better at this World Cup. I watched Uruguay came through. So the gaps are closing and it is only through though competitions like this (new Africa Cup) that we are seeing what might be and where we might go, and I think it’s something truly to behold.”

https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2020/0 ... kindled-2/

New web site for Algerian rugby (says they now have 13 clubs): https://www.dzrugby.com/site/
Last edited by Edgar on Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 00:41

I suppose you nee to look at what nations will excell at rugby moving forward.
The economic and corrupt nations of several African nations does not help put them on a path to success,although corruption happens generally in all levels of political and sporting teams.
Namibia is not really a nation that succeeds at sport in general.
Zimbabwe is in an economic meltdown,who has bigger issues.

Teams like Kenya who succeed on 7s world stage have a mountain of issues,the big thing they have going is proven world class athletes at various sports and and a huge population.
East Africa teams like Nigeria,Ghana,Senegal,Cameroon,Cote de ivoire have huge potential,they have big populations,do well on sporting levels in various sports and genetically suited to rugby. If and its a big IF they can get right people in charge then there is potential.
The North Africans need to develop youth levels to compensate the French legionnaire. They have many sports they are adequate at like Volleyball,Handball,Basketball but not being in the top dozen in the world.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 02:27

Adamstown 7's wrote:What happened to Rugby in Tanzania?
They were once fairly competitive in the African competitions and were, of course, a part of the old East African Rugby team too, although most of the players originally were mostly white settlers from Kenya.
Kenya and Uganda are 2 of the stronger teams in African Rugby in 2020 so what went wrong with Tanzania? They were also founding members of Confederation of African Rugby if I'm not mistaken.
They haven't been on the radar for a while now, has anyone heard any news regarding their return to international Rugby?

I trained once with Arusha Rhinos, seemed like there we're 2.75 Clubs (dar, arusha as two expat Driven Clubs with füll 15s Teams, who play an annual series, tanga more local but no full Team, and, i think, Iringa, some touch and a riotous Tournament). Overall, honestly, Nothing local, Just expats/the tiny White Immigrant Population/a handful of locals trying to make things Happen.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 07:00

Edgar wrote:
New web site for Algerian rugby (says they now have 13 clubs): https://www.dzrugby.com/site/

That's a nice website. I hope it gets kept up-to-date. 13 clubs is pretty good, if they're all active. Namibia, the second best national team in Africa, doesn't have many more clubs than that. There's an Algeria Rugby promo video on that site which is also really good.
This gives me confidence in Algerian rugby. I really think they could challenge Namibia for the Africa spot in the 2023 Rugby World Cup, and for years to come.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 17:05

Over a dozen clubs is very good considering the game was only reintroduced there a decade or so ago. Having a national team that could potentially be very strong could accelerate that growth too. I would like to see them schedule some November fixtures vs European opposition. Someone like Belgium for example. Or even a French club.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 17:58

4N wrote:Over a dozen clubs is very good considering the game was only reintroduced there a decade or so ago. Having a national team that could potentially be very strong could accelerate that growth too. I would like to see them schedule some November fixtures vs European opposition. Someone like Belgium for example. Or even a French club.

That would be fantastic. Yes, probably Belgium would be about the right standard for a worthwhile game.
As long as it doesn't clash with the finals of the Africa Cup of Nations. The group stages are in June & July but I can't find the dates for the semi final and final.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 08:07

Namibia going nowhere - Burger:

Namibia surprised everyone with their performance against New Zealand, he added, but was critical of the way the team played against Italy and South Africa because they conceded easy tries.

“We have a lot of talent in this country, we must just do things right. We have less than 900 players while other countries have lots more than us,” he noted.

He urged stakeholders to put money into the sport, mentioning that in Georgia money was injected into rugby, hence their team is doing extremely well.

Burger said the loss of head coach Phil Davies will have a massive negative impact for the national team.

Full story: https://www.namibian.com.na/87467/read/ ... l---Burger

Ghana bans coach for 52 weeks:

ACCRA, Ghana, January 27, 2020 – Ghana Rugby has issued a reminder of the World Rugby “Code of Conduct” to the Ghana Rugby Family following the stiff sanctioning of a club coach for misconduct because he neglected to accept and observe the authority and decisions of a referee during a Ghana Rugby Women’s Club Championship match in Accra.According to the statement issued by Ghana Rugby, the coach was not happy with a decision by the match official early in the match, and from that point onwards he challenged most of the Match Official’s calls from his position in the technical area.

In issuing the sanction Ghana Rugby’s Judicial Officer, Mr Chester Anie, said that there will be little or no tolerance for misconduct or foul play in 2020.

“Rugby is a Game underpinned by the values of respect and discipline and open and public challenges to these values as inscribed in the Rules and Regulations of World Rugby, and therefore Ghana Rugby, will not be tolerated,” Anie said.

The President and Board Chairman of Ghana Rugby, Mr Herbert Mensah, endorsed the sanctions and said, “Such behaviour not only breaks down the integrity of the Game of Rugby, but it also impacts on the safety and welfare of our players. The recent initiation of our EagleWise programme is another step towards making the Game enjoyable but also safe to all those participating in the Game.”

The Laws of the Game of Rugby Union states that, “The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.” in Law 6, Clause 5.

Full story: http://www.rugbyafrique.com/ghana-rugby ... ons-coach/

National Flag:
Pitcairn IslandPitcairn Island

Postby Adamstown 7's » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 14:13

Edgar wrote:Namibia going nowhere - Burger:

Namibia surprised everyone with their performance against New Zealand, he added, but was critical of the way the team played against Italy and South Africa because they conceded easy tries.

“We have a lot of talent in this country, we must just do things right. We have less than 900 players while other countries have lots more than us,” he noted.

He urged stakeholders to put money into the sport, mentioning that in Georgia money was injected into rugby, hence their team is doing extremely well.

Burger said the loss of head coach Phil Davies will have a massive negative impact for the national team.

Full story: https://www.namibian.com.na/87467/read/ ... l---Burger

Ghana bans coach for 52 weeks:

ACCRA, Ghana, January 27, 2020 – Ghana Rugby has issued a reminder of the World Rugby “Code of Conduct” to the Ghana Rugby Family following the stiff sanctioning of a club coach for misconduct because he neglected to accept and observe the authority and decisions of a referee during a Ghana Rugby Women’s Club Championship match in Accra.According to the statement issued by Ghana Rugby, the coach was not happy with a decision by the match official early in the match, and from that point onwards he challenged most of the Match Official’s calls from his position in the technical area.

In issuing the sanction Ghana Rugby’s Judicial Officer, Mr Chester Anie, said that there will be little or no tolerance for misconduct or foul play in 2020.

“Rugby is a Game underpinned by the values of respect and discipline and open and public challenges to these values as inscribed in the Rules and Regulations of World Rugby, and therefore Ghana Rugby, will not be tolerated,” Anie said.

The President and Board Chairman of Ghana Rugby, Mr Herbert Mensah, endorsed the sanctions and said, “Such behaviour not only breaks down the integrity of the Game of Rugby, but it also impacts on the safety and welfare of our players. The recent initiation of our EagleWise programme is another step towards making the Game enjoyable but also safe to all those participating in the Game.”

The Laws of the Game of Rugby Union states that, “The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.” in Law 6, Clause 5.

Full story: http://www.rugbyafrique.com/ghana-rugby ... ons-coach/

They were beating Canada in that game if it weren't for the pesky weather!

As far as clubs in Namibia, I'm sure I read recently that there were 28 senior mens teams but don't quote me.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 15:06

Kenya has been named host of the African U20s for the next 3 years running. Good to see them get an international XVs tournament . :thumbup:

The Barthés Trophy is the only junior tournament in Africa and 8 national U20 teams compete for the title. Participating teams in 2020 (in order of the current ranking): Kenya, Namibia, Senegal, Madagascar, Tunisia, Zimbabwe, Côte d’Ivoire, Zambia.

Pool A:
Kenya
Madagascar
Tunisia
Zambia

Pool B:
Namibia
Senegal
Zimbabwe
Côte d’Ivoire

Match Schedule:

April 19, 2020
M1: KEN vs ZAM
M2: MAD vs TUN
M3: NAM vs CIV
M4: SEN vs ZIM

April 22, 2020
M5: Loser M1 vs Loser M2
M6: Loser M3 vs Loser M4
M7: Winner M1 vs Winner M2
M8: Winner M3 vs Winner M4

April 26, 2020
M9: A4 vs B4
M10: A3 vs B3
M11: A2 vs B2
M12: A1 vs B1

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/kenya-rugby ... ournament/

No Uganda, surprisingly. Presumably they didn't qualify :shock:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 15:12

Well done to Africa. Bogdan_DC might be right about Rugby Europe. Kind of a joke that they field more teams than Europe, where travelling is extremely easy.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 15:23

But not everybody's happy with the decision :roll:

THE president of the Namibia Rugby Union, Corrie Mensah, on Wednesday expressed dismay at Africa Rugby's decision to award Kenya the right to host the u20 Barthes Cup for the next three years.

"It's an absolute setback for Namibian rugby. We were also asked to tender for one year, but now to find out that it has been awarded to Kenya for three years is quite a shock. I will send a letter to Rugby Africa to seek clarity about the situation, because we definitely did not have a three-year option, and we don't know on what grounds Kenya got it" he said.

Namibia's defeat to Kenya at the u20 Barthes Cup in Nairobi last year brought an end to their dominance in recent years after they had won the tournament from 2013 to 2018, and also saw Kenya qualifying for World Rugby Junior Trophy for the first time in 10 years.

https://allafrica.com/stories/202001300652.html

More from Herbie: African rugby is in a good place :thumbup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk8OBBr ... _hbwOJEgTQ

Kenya 7s news:

National 7s circuit 2020 dates:

July 25, Kabeberi 7s -Meru
August 1, Christie 7s -Nairobi

Aug 15, Kakamega 7s -Bull Ring
Aug 23, Driftwood 7s -Mombasa

Sep 5, Dala 7s -Kisumu
Sep 12, Prinsloo 7s -Nakuru

http://www.ragahouse.com/news/item/kabe ... 20-circuit

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 18:41

And Namibia also thinks it is wrong they have hosted Kenya 4 years in a row in the senior Africa Cup (2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018)? Cynicism.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Wed, 05 Feb 2020, 08:40

Nigeria to host this year's West African Championships. In the last year's inaugural series, Ivory Coast pipped Nigeria by a point after both nations had beaten hosts Ghana.

LAGOS, Nigeria, February 5, 2020 – Addressing journalists at the weekend in Lagos on the side lines of their Board meeting, NRFF (TheNRFF.com) president, Kelechukw Mbagwu said the body decided to host the tournament to create more awareness for the sport in Nigeria as well as expose the players to test matches with top Rugby Nations in West Africa.He promised that the federation will strive to host more international championships in 2020, adding that they were mapping out plans to reposition Rugby in Nigeria.

Mbagwu also added that NRFF was delighted that Rugby will make a return to the National Sports Festival in Edo State after a 10 year absence.
“The Black Stallions won the President Cup last year in Ghana and Rugby Africa gave Nigeria the nod to host this championships to boost Rugby development in the country. “The NRFF’s focus is to continue promoting Rugby in Nigeria this year and to this end, the Rugby Union League will kick off after the National Sports Festival. “I can assure you that plans are also in place to have Women’s Rugby Sevens League and the Men’s Sevens Circuit in the country.”

Speaking on former Technical Director, Ntiense Williams who was sacked last year, Mbagwu said, “We have received a letter from the Ministry of Sports to look into the matter and seek for a way to resolve the issue. “But at this point, it should be brought to notice that Williams is an employee of NRFF and the body has the right to sack any of its staff found guilty of any misconduct. “Any issue regarding the former technical director will be discussed when the committee brings out its report. At this point Williams remains sacked,” he said.

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/nigeria-to- ... wars-2020/

Ghana Rugby AGM:

The Ghana Rugby Football Union (Ghana Rugby) (Ghana.Rugby) has elected new Officers and Board Members at their just ended Special General Meeting (SGM) held in Osu, Accra.Mr Herbert Mensah was elected unopposed as President of Ghana Rugby and was subsequently appointed as Board Chairman. http://www.rugbyafrique.com/ghana-rugby ... d-members/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfkQQuA ... j5WQwlLci4

News from Lesotho:

THE Federation of Lesotho Rugby (FLR) 2017 league champions — Maseru Warriors got off to a good start this season beating Mabote Beavers 16-9 in the league opener at Makoanyane Barracks on Saturday. https://lestimes.com/maseru-warriors-of ... ood-start/

End of Super Rugby as we know it?

Crusaders boss Colin Mansbridge says his champion organisation “wouldn’t be frightened” of a new look Super Rugby structure as debate rages around the merits of South Africa’s place in the southern hemisphere competition. https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/supe ... umNA1Phug4

Madagascar national championship final this weekend:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 05 Feb 2020, 13:01

That Colin Mansbridge interview is a painful read, talking about a northern hemisphere timezone and a southern hemisphere timezone. Geography is obviously not his strong point.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Feb 2020, 15:34

Chester-Donnelly wrote:That Colin Mansbridge interview is a painful read, talking about a northern hemisphere timezone and a southern hemisphere timezone. Geography is obviously not his strong point.

“If we ended up with an evolution, if there was a northern hemisphere time zone type thing and a southern hemisphere one – Asia, Pacific, Australasia – that would be exciting as well."

You've misread that. He says, that there is a time-zone centered around the PI nations and one around the Northern Hemisphere nations (he means 6N with that). South Africa would be in the later. I think what he said makes 100% sense.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum