Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Continental Club Rugby League

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Continental Club Rugby League

Postby Edgar » Wed, 22 Jan 2020, 20:14

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
I have asked my Muslim friend about this. He explained they only get offended regarding their religion. The crescent moon and star is not a religious symbol. The name Saracens and the logo is not offensive.

I've lived in the Middle East for the past 15 years and am pretty certain they wouldn't care less. For one thing, they have slightly more important things to worry about these days, and for another, the vast majority will hardly be aware of the game's existence - let alone the use of historical (European) terms from the Medieval holy wars.

Saracens, as far as I know, was a generic term for Muslims, possibly meaning 'followers of Sara (wife of Abraham),' though there are various theories on this. Apparently the club was set up as a rival to a neighboring team named the Crusaders (long since disappeared). All a bit of fun, & if anything, Muslims might even be a little chuffed.

Where rugby is played throughout the Middle East they have themselves shown an inclination for historical nicknames, like the Istanbul Ottomans and Beirut Phoenicians. This can be no more offensive in the 21st century than other 'historical' team-names like the Vikings, Warriors, Celtics and Pirates.

Personally I think Saracens is a great name, as well as something unique to rugby as the word has long since fallen out of common usage. It has also been taken up by other rugby clubs around the world. When you hear the name Saracens today, you think of rugby.

The issue of offensive nicknames is quite a rabbit hole to go down, but the controversy seems a storm in a teacup to me. There are a few exceptions. Crusaders was fine - until the Christchurch massacre last year, after which it probably should've been dropped for reasons of sensitivity.

Redskins is outrageous to begin with, as it's basically the 'N' word for Native Americans. Chiefs, on the other hand, is fine, and in the case of the New Zealand rugby franchise it seems to be well-supported by Maori. Neither is the term exclusive. Even the cops have chiefs. The logos are a different matter, however.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Jan 2020, 20:48

"Saracens were founded in 1876 by the Old Boys of the Philological School in Marylebone, London (later to become St Marylebone Grammar School). The club's name is said to come from the 'endurance, enthusiasm and perceived invincibility of Saladin's desert warriors of the 12th century'. The fact that their local rivals were called the Crusaders may also have been a factor"

This is the official history of the name Saracens. They were basic playing Holy Wars. And Saracens amalgamated with neighbouring club Crusaders two years later.

We could say it was almost a tribute to Saladin's army.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 22 Jan 2020, 21:10

victorsra wrote:"Saracens were founded in 1876 by the Old Boys of the Philological School in Marylebone, London (later to become St Marylebone Grammar School). The club's name is said to come from the 'endurance, enthusiasm and perceived invincibility of Saladin's desert warriors of the 12th century'. The fact that their local rivals were called the Crusaders may also have been a factor"

This is the official history of the name Saracens. They were basic playing Holy Wars. And Saracens amalgamated with neighbouring club Crusaders two years later.

We could say it was almost a tribute to Saladin's army.

Yes I think it is. My Muslim friend is very interested in his Muslim history as well as his religion. When I asked him about the Saracens he talked about Saladin's army and his face lit up. He likes the Saracens name. It's nice to remember historical heroes and ancient tribes. Naming your club Saracens is no different to naming it Huns or Spartans. Today there are no Saracens nor are there any victims of Saracens, so there is no one to be offended.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 08:13

Still no traces of a calendar?

It's a pity that polish rugby can't be part of this. It's many years that Poland seems promising in rugby (national team games shown sometime in prime time tv and playing in big stadiums) but their national team remains always at the same level (middle of the REC Trophy) and their clubs can't make a step up and never participated to the Continental Shield

PS: I don't think Saracens as a people ever existed. I think it was just the way we europeans called the people coming from North Africa and Middle East. So somehow they still exist

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 08:47

The draw is on January 30th, as it has always been expected.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 10:05

Canalina wrote:Still no traces of a calendar?

It's a pity that polish rugby can't be part of this. It's many years that Poland seems promising in rugby (national team games shown sometime in prime time tv and playing in big stadiums) but their national team remains always at the same level (middle of the REC Trophy) and their clubs can't make a step up and never participated to the Continental Shield

PS: I don't think Saracens as a people ever existed. I think it was just the way we Europeans called the people coming from North Africa and Middle East. So somehow they still exist

It will be interesting to see what happens with this competition if it can survive. If into turns into a fully fledged league I could see Poland eventually joining. They could basically have the Belgian, Dutch, Portuguese, Polish national teams as franchises, Frankfurt could hire the rest of the German national squad players and of course the Russian, Romanian and Georgian clubs.

It could also remain as just a club competition which would probably be easier to implement in terms of organisation and finances, but competitive balance could be an issue and the lack of professional club infrastructure compared to the Russian's and Romanian's.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 17:13

Confirmation that VRAC is bidding for Challenge Cup spots. They have included in their bid letters of support from both FER and Valladolid mayor:
https://twitter.com/TetoTorres68/status ... 36096?s=19

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 17:27

And who else?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 17:32

If qualification matches for Challenge Cup have been canceled, main tournament must also be canceled.
Winners will be detemined at a meeting of EPCR leaders by comparing letters from city mayors of teams represented in tournament.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 17:06

victorsra wrote:And who else?

Still no words from italian clubs
I'm pretty sure that all or almost all the top clubs are bidding for a place (Calvisano, Petrarca, Valorugby, maybe Rovigo, maybe not Fiamme Oro), but nothing about emerged so far

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 13:57

Continental Club Rugby League inaugural fixtures:
Dinamo Bucuresti v Enisei-STM
Frankfurt 1880 v Slava Moscow
Steaua Bucuresti v VVA Podmoskovye
Baia Mare v Krasny Yar
https://rugger.info/news/30915

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 14:11

Probably my Slava was lucky ,but its better to ask RugbyLiebe about it ... 8-)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 14:29

Vova12 wrote:Probably my Slava was lucky ,but its better to ask RugbyLiebe about it ... 8-)

Germany is always worth a trip ;-)

To complete the information

"All games will be held April 4-5, the response of the 18-19th.

The winner of the Yenisei-STM - Dynamo pair in the semifinals will meet the winner of the Frankfurt 1880 - Slava pair, and the best in the VVA-Moscow Region duel - Steaua will compete with the winner of the Baia Mare pair - Red Yar. "

The dates of the semifinal and final matches will be announced later." (Source: google transloter of the link above)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 14:44

I'm wonder what Dinamo is looking in this competition. Their level is really low.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 20:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Germany is always worth a trip ;-)

Where can find data of team players?
I cant find anywhere. I will do match program. So can send you one. 8-)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 20:21

RugbyLiebe wrote:

does it mean home and away QFs?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 20:45

victorsra wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

does it mean home and away QFs?

what else can it mean?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 20:58

A simple map
I just don't like a lot the name: "Continental Club Rugby League" is a bit confusing (rugby league? So is it XIII?) and characterless.
And why didn't they use "European", instead of "continental"? It would have been less generic

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 21:12

I prefer it with a K. Kontinental Rugby League, like the Kontinental Hockey League.
Canalina, you can add China to your world map, now it has been confirmed that the sixth GRR team is Shanghai.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 21:28

The name is realy bad. "Rugby League" too.

Kontinental League Rugby would be better. Or Rugby Kontinental League.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 21:31

victorsra wrote:The name is realy bad. "Rugby League" too.

Kontinental League Rugby would be better. Or Rugby Kontinental League.

Yes it's the word order. Kontinental League Rugby would be fine. KLR, like MLR.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 21:34

I'd like "The Peeled Potato Cup", because the logo remember me the peel of a potato...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 21:56

If I'm not mistaken Russians already name it unofficially as Kontinental Liga.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby DKTibo » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 22:12

I'm from Frankfurt 80, I like the fact it exists. But damn only 8 teams...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 22:39

Armchair Fan wrote:If I'm not mistaken Russians already name it unofficially as Kontinental Liga.
Well, Rugby Kontinental Liga would be fine. Unless it is weird in Russia. In Latin languages would be...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum