Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Continental Club Rugby League

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Continental Club Rugby League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 22:47

victorsra wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:If I'm not mistaken Russians already name it unofficially as Kontinental Liga.
Well, Rugby Kontinental Liga would be fine. Unless it is weird in Russia. In Latin languages would be...

I like that because the 'Kontinental" seems Russian and the "Liga" is Latin.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 22:49

I mean the order of the words. "Rugby" as the first word sounds weird in Latin languages, would never work. Not sure about how Slavic languages work.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 03:06

DKTibo wrote:I'm from Frankfurt 80, I like the fact it exists. But damn only 8 teams...

I think 8 teams is fine to begin with. These are the best teams in Russia and Romania. Their talent is already concentrated around these teams. Their domestic professional leagues are obviously important, but they do have some easy games against the bottom clubs. There will be no easy games in the Kontinental Liga.
They should only add teams that will strengthen the league. Probably Timisoara Saracens and a Georgia team would be good additions.
These are countries with cold winters and a split season, like Canada. I would like their season to be split between the Kontinental Liga in autumn, and each country's Premier League in spring (or the opposite), like how the South African teams play Super Rugby in one block (4 teams) and Currie Cup (7 teams) in another block.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 18:22

I had the chance to ask the coaches of Calvisano and Valorugby about the next Challenge Cup: basically they both declared to be not interested on taking part to the next edition (Calvisano coach: "you should ask this question to my club director but I think that to play in Challenge Cup we should have a different roster and a different club structure, it's honest to say that this year we were out of our habitat in that competition". Valorugby coach: "now I want to win the national title, then we could start to think if to be interested in this bidding you are talking about"), but overall I had the feeling that they were not aware at all about the EPCR request to present a bid. I had not the chance to ask them a second question and to investigate more deeply.
My hypothesis is that EPCR sent that letter only to the T2 federations and that they have other plans for the italian clubs

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 18:37

victorsra wrote:I mean the order of the words. "Rugby" as the first word sounds weird in Latin languages, would never work. Not sure about how Slavic languages work.

In Russian will denote various things.

Регби лига , регбилиг - 13
Регбийная лига - 15

Translation into English in both cases is - rugby league.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 20:14

ohhhhhh now it is clear why it sounds strange when translate, but makes sense in Russian.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 09:04

Is this for Russian speakers only or for an Continental audience?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 09:59

About the next Challenge Cup: in Spain just Vrac Valladolid is interested, I doubt there are clubs able to take part in such competition in Portugal and Belgium, in Italy the main coaches seem not aware of the EPCR invitation (and few interested about the Challenge), in Germany the Frankfurt team has chosen the Kontinental Liga, the russian and romanian teams made the same move, so who is going to take part in the next Challenge Cup? Valladolid and...? Maybe Heidelberger RK? No other names come to my mind

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 11:24

Canalina wrote:About the next Challenge Cup: in Spain just Vrac Valladolid is interested, I doubt there are clubs able to take part in such competition in Portugal and Belgium, in Italy the main coaches seem not aware of the EPCR invitation (and few interested about the Challenge), in Germany the Frankfurt team has chosen the Kontinental Liga, the russian and romanian teams made the same move, so who is going to take part in the next Challenge Cup? Valladolid and...? Maybe Heidelberger RK? No other names come to my mind

That is disappointing. I thought Italy might be working towards having a third Pro 14 team. Maybe Calvisano. I thought they have done ok in the European Challenge Cup this season.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 11:37

amz wrote:Is this for Russian speakers only or for an Continental audience?

In Russian - Континентальная регбийная лига. Continental Rugby League.
Well, or you can write Continental League Rugby . 8-)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 11:49

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Canalina wrote:About the next Challenge Cup: in Spain just Vrac Valladolid is interested, I doubt there are clubs able to take part in such competition in Portugal and Belgium, in Italy the main coaches seem not aware of the EPCR invitation (and few interested about the Challenge), in Germany the Frankfurt team has chosen the Kontinental Liga, the russian and romanian teams made the same move, so who is going to take part in the next Challenge Cup? Valladolid and...? Maybe Heidelberger RK? No other names come to my mind

That is disappointing. I thought Italy might be working towards having a third Pro 14 team. Maybe Calvisano. I thought they have done ok in the European Challenge Cup this season.

After the 42-0 in Wales many italian fans are saying that we can't cope with two franchises and that we should have just one. Some other fans are saying that we should quit from the Celtic League because we were more performant when Zebre didn't exist and Benetton played in the national championship. I don't think that anyone of these two scenarios is going to be realized but the hypothesis of a third franchise seems at the moment even more unlikely

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 14:02

Canalina wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:

After the 42-0 in Wales many italian fans are saying that we can't cope with two franchises and that we should have just one. Some other fans are saying that we should quit from the Celtic League because we were more performant when Zebre didn't exist and Benetton played in the national championship. I don't think that anyone of these two scenarios is going to be realized but the hypothesis of a third franchise seems at the moment even more unlikely

That's very depressing.

Maybe Georgia will enter their Currie Cup team.
Or maybe Timisoara Saracens. They're not in the Kontinental Liga.

Both pretty unlikely.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Tiernster » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 21:32

That Georgia Currie cup team would be more then competitive after 2 months in South Africa. Would be interested in seeing that happen

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 14:40

Russian Wiki article about Continental Liga
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Континентальная_клубная_регбийная_лига

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 15:42

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 05:35

Just an addition to the posts of some weeks ago about the trans-national club championships in the world: we may add All Ireland League, the upper level of irish rugby championship. I learned today (searching info about the Dalriada Cup played by Ireland Club XV and Scotland Club XV) that also the All Ireland League, as the Irish national team, involves the Ulster region, which politically lies in Great Britain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Irela ... ugby_union)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 07:17

Canalina wrote:Just an addition to the posts of some weeks ago about the trans-national club championships in the world: we may add All Ireland League, the upper level of irish rugby championship. I learned today (searching info about the Dalriada Cup played by Ireland Club XV and Scotland Club XV) that also the All Ireland League, as the Irish national team, involves the Ulster region, which politically lies in Great Britain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Irela ... ugby_union)

Yes it does, but in sports such as rugby and cricket Ireland is considered a single country. I don't think anyone in Britain and Ireland would consider the All Ireland League to be a trans-national championship although I cannot deny that technically it is. If we are going to go to that level of pedantry we should also include the English Championship because Jersey is not part of England.

National Flag:
EritreaEritrea

Postby io.porcorosso » Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 11:41

Nation does not mean State.
Ireland is simple Irish.
So I think that we cannot consider a transnation championship.

Else, San Marino is playing in the Italian OPES/UISP Championship.

Cheers PR-WSM

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 08:17

Are there some news about this competition?
Are they going to call out this first edition?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 08:37

Most likely not take place.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 22 Mar 2020, 06:20

Predictable news and maybe you have all already read it: the Kontinental League's first edition is postponed to next year

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum