Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 13:33

I realy want to know who is paying for the Malaysian and Chinese teams to happen. It is realy hard to believe Valke and BoP are paying for this. They are probably receiving. In the case of Malaysia it might the the Malaysians themselves, but that Chinese team looks like to be Forrest himself.

But whatever who is paying for the Lions, now finaly we have the GRR ready. I hope it is a success because obviously rugby needs Asia.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 340
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Hinato » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 13:34


Posts: 643
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Raven » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 13:45

Well, Forrest now has a confirmed rep from the former Tri Nations with Valke and BoP tuned with a bit of asian make up. HOpefully these 2 sides will be better drilled than the other 4 that participated in previous seasons / showcase series.

I am all for Asia having a strong transcontinental League, but pretty much against Western Force thrashing teams week in week out... Has anyone heard about the Koreans? I suppose that venture will be postponed until next season then.

Posts: 781
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Edgar » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 15:37

Yes, this has been known for some time, but good to see the official confirmation. So the world's most populous nation is going to have a professional rugby franchise based in its largest city. That can only be good news. Games kick off in just over a month with the Lions heading to Fiji for a baptism of fire. There's a huge amount of work ahead in getting the Chinese public involved, of course, but with the women's 7s team competing at the Olympics in July this is clearly going to be a watershed year for the sport on the mainland. Their first home-game will be against Malaysia's Valke on March 21, followed by a "derby" match with the Hong Kong Tigers a week later. The latter fixture has the potential to really capture local imaginations - and a good result will go even further.

https://www.rapid.rugby/china-and-new-z ... evolution/

Image

Just how many teams is that sharing the same nickname now? British & Irish, Gauteng, Wellington provincial team, Spain and Kenya are both dubbed the Lions in their own languages, Morocco are the Atlas Lions, Chicago in the USA, and now we've got the Olimpia Lions from Paraguay and China Lions in GRR. Others :?:
& most of these places don't actually have any lions :roll:

Posts: 643
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Raven » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 17:01

thatrugbyguy wrote:They pick a really bad time to start a rugby team in China.


I´ll second this comment now given the amount of flights being cancelled....

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 17:29

Edgar wrote:Yes, this has been known for some time, but good to see the official confirmation. So the world's most populous nation is going to have a professional rugby franchise based in its largest city. That can only be good news. Games kick off in just over a month with the Lions heading to Fiji for a baptism of fire. There's a huge amount of work ahead in getting the Chinese public involved, of course, but with the women's 7s team competing at the Olympics in July this is clearly going to be a watershed year for the sport on the mainland. Their first home-game will be against Malaysia's Valke on March 21, followed by a "derby" match with the Hong Kong Tigers a week later. The latter fixture has the potential to really capture local imaginations - and a good result will go even further.

https://www.rapid.rugby/china-and-new-z ... evolution/

Image

Just how many teams is that sharing the same nickname now? British & Irish, Gauteng, Wellington provincial team, Spain and Kenya are both dubbed the Lions in their own languages, Morocco are the Atlas Lions, Chicago in the USA, and now we've got the Olimpia Lions from Paraguay and China Lions in GRR. Others :?:
& most of these places don't actually have any lions :roll:


Shanghai Zoo has both lions and South China Tigers apparently.

Posts: 5719
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 13:04

victorsra wrote:I realy want to know who is paying for the Malaysian and Chinese teams to happen. It is realy hard to believe Valke and BoP are paying for this. They are probably receiving. In the case of Malaysia it might the the Malaysians themselves, but that Chinese team looks like to be Forrest himself.

But whatever who is paying for the Lions, now finaly we have the GRR ready. I hope it is a success because obviously rugby needs Asia.


Forest has apparently been talking to fellow billionaires for a while.

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 13:41

So he found a Chinese investor?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 5719
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 15:18

I don't know the details, but it's been long rumoured he's been hunting for fellow billionaires to invest in the competition. Perhaps he's found them.

Posts: 1623
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 17:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:On a sitenote: China Rugby Football Association is the worst name I've ever seen a Rugby union federation bear. Looks like they couldn't decide if they play Association or Rugby.


Must be the language, maybe it makes more sense in Chinese. But the Wikipedia adds more to your comment - “CRFA also organises American football events within China.” I guess they’ll just put anything as long as it gets people out there.

Posts: 781
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Edgar » Mon, 03 Feb 2020, 16:25

China Lions already have a Facebook site. Not much on it yet, however, but it's in English: https://www.facebook.com/chinalions/

Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 10:05

Tobar wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:On a sitenote: China Rugby Football Association is the worst name I've ever seen a Rugby union federation bear. Looks like they couldn't decide if they play Association or Rugby.


Must be the language, maybe it makes more sense in Chinese. But the Wikipedia adds more to your comment - “CRFA also organises American football events within China.” I guess they’ll just put anything as long as it gets people out there.


Probably Football finally reunited as one sport :lol:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 20
Joined: Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 17:22
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby theDarky » Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 17:40

Dont forget that football means "a foot-long ball" ... we can create new versions if needy ^^

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 17:57

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Tobar wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:On a sitenote: China Rugby Football Association is the worst name I've ever seen a Rugby union federation bear. Looks like they couldn't decide if they play Association or Rugby.


Must be the language, maybe it makes more sense in Chinese. But the Wikipedia adds more to your comment - “CRFA also organises American football events within China.” I guess they’ll just put anything as long as it gets people out there.


Probably Football finally reunited as one sport :lol:



https://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/di ... word=rugby

橄榄球 gǎnlǎn qiú football played with oval-shaped ball (rugby, American football, Australian rules etc)
拉格比 lā gé bǐ rugby (loanword); Rugby school in England
英式橄榄球 yīngshì gǎnlǎnqiú English-style football; rugby


So, basicaly they call all sports with oval ball by the same name and just ad the country of origin.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 02:50

I don't know if this is by accident or design, but the final round of the World Rugby Pacific Challenge (Tonga A vs Samoa A, and Fiji Warriors vs Japan A) at the ANZ stadium Suva, is on the same day as the opening round of Global Rapid Rugby 2020, with Fiji Latui playing at home. I am assuming that has been done deliberately, and the crowd will be treated to a triple header.

Posts: 643
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Raven » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 09:04

Chances of that being done deliberately are slim, can Fiji Latui and Fiji Warriors be completely different squads? I thought the whole concept of Latui was give more games to the Warriors... them playing twice that day seems a clash of that idea.

Migght be wrong my assumption though.

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 17:59

Raven wrote:Chances of that being done deliberately are slim, can Fiji Latui and Fiji Warriors be completely different squads? I thought the whole concept of Latui was give more games to the Warriors... them playing twice that day seems a clash of that idea.

Migght be wrong my assumption though.


Saturday 14 March 2020
World Rugby Pacific Challenge
Fiji Warriors vs Japan A
Global Rapid Rugby
Fijian Latui vs China Lions

Which is the stronger opposition? Maybe the Japan game is the bigger fixture.

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 18:02

I guess Japan A is a team without Top League players...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 20:06

victorsra wrote:I guess Japan A is a team without Top League players...


My understanding is it is basically an under 23 Japan team. I would expect the players to be playing in the Top League or for university teams.

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 20:22

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
victorsra wrote:I guess Japan A is a team without Top League players...


My understanding is it is basically an under 23 Japan team. I would expect the players to be playing in the Top League or for university teams.

I mean this is in the middle of Top League...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 28
Joined: Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 15:33
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Thesjhughes » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 09:57

I just listened to an interview from the Bay of Plenty rugby chairman on the China Lions venture unfortunately the interview was on Behind pay wall driving malls patreon page.Basic summary it sounds like the rapid rugby has a 10 year License from world rugby.And Bay of Plenty is being negotiated with China for the last two years for the partnership and the partnership is not just global rapid rugby it’s help to develop rugby in China.
https://drivingmaul.com/2020/02/12/behi ... rugby-ceo/

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 13:53

Thesjhughes wrote:I just listened to an interview from the Bay of Plenty rugby chairman on the China Lions venture unfortunately the interview was on Behind pay wall driving malls patreon page.Basic summary it sounds like the rapid rugby has a 10 year License from world rugby.And Bay of Plenty is being negotiated with China for the last two years for the partnership and the partnership is not just global rapid rugby it’s help to develop rugby in China.
https://drivingmaul.com/2020/02/12/behi ... rugby-ceo/

Hard to believe. Negociating for 2 years to only reach an agreement now AFTER the release of the fixtures?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 3065
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby 4N » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 16:47

So are we going to hear about postponements or venues changes in GRR soon?

https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/ar ... tober-date

Posts: 781
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Edgar » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 17:21

Just a month away from kickoff now and, yes, there are doubts as to whether the Chinese entry will even be able to take part due to the Corona Virus epidemic. They were due to debut in Fiji on March 13.

They might simply need to play away from home the first season, in which case the obvious alternative home-base must be the Bay of Plenty province which is supporting them. Rotorua and Tauranga are within a 3-hour drive of Auckland international airport.

If a replacement is called for, Tonga would seem a likely candidate, given Fiji and Samoa will both be involved. I imagine they will be intending to join the comp as an expansion franchise in the future anyway.

Certainly it does not seem an insurmountable obstacle, though it would be disappointing if mainland China were not involved directly this year after all. Their inclusion in the new league was nothing to sneeze at.

Global Rapid Rugby organisers are hoping the newly-announced China-based team can be retained for the inaugural season despite the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Last week, Andrew Forrest’s new rugby union competition announced that the Shanghai-based China Lions would be the sixth and final team for the 2020 debut of the $1 million GRR.


But one day later, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that people who have visited or transited through mainland China would be banned from visiting Australia.

Other countries are following suit with their own travel bans as the world attempts to contain the coronavirus.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-coro ... pid-rugby/

Posts: 6586
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 17:43

GRR is unlucky. When finaly they solve things, coronavirus appears...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rey200 and 7 guests