Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby Canalina » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 07:57

A map with the venues of the JRWC (in blue), the venues of the 6N U20 (green), the venues of the women 6N (red), the venue of the national U20 academy (in yellow) and the venues of the Pro14 franchises (in black).
The central and southern fans are not very happy... It has anyway to be said that the main national team 6N games are always in Rome and that the recent stages of the various national teams (men, women, U20, men 7s) have been hosted not only by Calvisano and Parma (in the north) but also by Rome and Napoli

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 14:02

Coppa Italia, final match: Rovigo v Petrarca, on the field now

Live: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2598377223718996

Rovigo never won the cup in his history

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 19:24

An impressive result for Zebre today. A very heavy loss for Calvisano. After this season I would like to see Calvisano replace Dragons in the Pro 14, with Dragons moving to the English Championship.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 15:34

Rovigo won the national cup, 10-3 in the final game versus the old rival Petrarca Padova. Rain and mud, just one try in the whole match. These are some nice images recorded from the field just after the end of the game; Rovigo is in red&blue(&brown) shirt.
I heard during the match that there are two players from the World Cup in italian Top12, I didn't know: James Faiva (Tonga, Petrarca) and Lasha Lomidze (Georgia, Lazio). It's an honor for our championship

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 11:19

The Top12 is not even at its half but the race to the play-off is definitively restricted to five teams: Rovigo (41), Valorugby (37), Calvisano (34), Fiamme Oro (33), Petrarca (28). Already too far Mogliano, Viadana, Florence and the other teams, with Lazio in bottom position and seriously risking the relegation after many years in the top category

Rovigo has never lost a game so far (they won also the national cup last week) but they don't seem dominating, they are just a little step over the rivals; all may still happen from here to the title final in may

This the individual scorers ranking so far
https://blog.rugby.it/?p=10740

Postby 4N » Thu, 06 Feb 2020, 22:07

Braley to Treviso. Good news, having him and Allan play together at domestic level should be helpful.

https://benettonrugby.it/callum-braley- ... ton-rugby/

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 12:56

Chester-Donnelly wrote:An impressive result for Zebre today. A very heavy loss for Calvisano. After this season I would like to see Calvisano replace Dragons in the Pro 14, with Dragons moving to the English Championship.

Well the Dragons have reached the Challenge Cup Quarterfinals, whilst Calvisano lost all their games. So yeah, why not. And let's throw in the Khazakhstani champions to replace Connacht, who can play in the Sri Lankan premiership instead.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 13:43

But then you would have an odd number of teams in the Sri Lankan championship :|

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 18:05

Figaro wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:An impressive result for Zebre today. A very heavy loss for Calvisano. After this season I would like to see Calvisano replace Dragons in the Pro 14, with Dragons moving to the English Championship.

Well the Dragons have reached the Challenge Cup Quarterfinals, whilst Calvisano lost all their games. So yeah, why not. And let's throw in the Khazakhstani champions to replace Connacht, who can play in the Sri Lankan premiership instead.

Dragons are actually doing ok. It is Ospreys that should be replaced.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 18:41

In fact 16 teams is much better for the schedule... 18 matches for each team (15+3) would solve PRO14 fixtures problems as they dont want rounds clashing with national teams.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 11:05

Today the last round of the first half of the championship offers two big bangs between the leading four teams
Rovigo (42) v Valorugby (41)
Calvisano (35) v Fiamme Oro (38)

Both start at 15.00 (14 GMT) and will be live (geoblocked? I don't know) here
https://www.facebook.com/Federugby/vide ... 841090309/
https://www.facebook.com/Federugby/vide ... 481770184/

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 09:15

Disappointing to see this this kind of thing happening:

It was the verbal insult that hit Maxime Mbanda the hardest, even after his car had been smashed and he was threatened with a crowbar.
The rugby star doesn't think of Italy as a racist country, but that can make the moments he is on the receiving end of abuse even harder to stomach.
Mbanda, a backrow forward who has played 20 times for the Italian national team, felt compelled to speak out on social media following an incident last year when he was cut up by another driver while visiting his parents in Milan.
"I did the wrong thing," Mbanda recalls to CNN Sport. "I stopped the car and got out.
"The first thing he said to me when he saw me he was like, 'f*cking n*gga go away and go back to your country.
"It was a phrase that I hadn't heard for years, maybe when I was 16 or 17."

Story continues here: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/28/spor ... index.html

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 07:58

Top12 restarts this saturday with 4 out of 6 games beyond closed doors, id est without spectators
Anyway the government is planning to stop all the sport official activities for some months (3? 4?), so the chances to have this season of Top12 erased are quit high. The alternative option is to keep playing many games, or all of them, without spectators

National Flag:
EritreaEritrea

Postby io.porcorosso » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 08:11

Canalina wrote:Top12 restarts this saturday with 4 out of 6 games beyond closed doors, id est without spectators
Anyway the government is planning to stop all the sport official activities for some months (3? 4?), so the chances to have this season of Top12 erased are quit high. The alternative option is to keep playing many games, or all of them, without spectators

Actually, it is not 3-4 months, not at all. It has been thought, but not decided yet, to stop sport events or to proceed with them without public, for just 30 days.
https://www.r1823.it/2020/03/03/ultima- ... r-un-mese/
Specifically on the TOP12 there has not been any suspicion of interruption. Just for next round, in some regions it has been requested to play without public.
https://www.r1823.it/2020/03/04/top-12- ... te-chiuse/

There's already an infodemia ongoing, please do not increase it.
There're more probability to be killed by a gun instead of corona virus.

Cheers PR-WSM

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 08:46

They are two different dimensions: a shotgun can't spread, a virus spreads.
If there are still few deaths due to the coronavirus is because of this giant effort to keep it controlled; it's not a groundless fear

The Top12 has already been suspended in the past round

National Flag:
EritreaEritrea

Postby io.porcorosso » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 13:32

Canalina wrote:They are two different dimensions: a shotgun can't spread, a virus spreads.
If there are still few deaths due to the coronavirus is because of this giant effort to keep it controlled; it's not a groundless fear

The Top12 has already been suspended in the past round

We will see at the end if we would have been over panic or not. For the moment there's clearly an infodemia, that does not help at all.

TOP12 just shifted one round, and it will be played, even with closed stadiums, regularly this weekend.

Cheers PR-WSM

National Flag:
EritreaEritrea

Postby io.porcorosso » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 17:45

It has been confirmed by FIR that one of the Challenge Cup slot will be for the TOP12 winner.

Cheers PR-WSM
https://www.r1823.it/2020/03/04/top-12- ... ampionato/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 19:37

io.porcorosso wrote:It has been confirmed by FIR that one of the Challenge Cup slot will be for the TOP12 winner.

Cheers PR-WSM

I wonder how this will be decided now. A playoff between Rovigo Delta and Calvisano maybe.

National Flag:
EritreaEritrea

Postby io.porcorosso » Sun, 22 Mar 2020, 08:15

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
io.porcorosso wrote:It has been confirmed by FIR that one of the Challenge Cup slot will be for the TOP12 winner.

Cheers PR-WSM

I wonder how this will be decided now. A playoff between Rovigo Delta and Calvisano maybe.

Who knows?
On the last interview the FIR president has not stated anything on the Challenge Cup.
He has just said that if the championship will restart within the 18th of April, we could see it ending in late June. But this assume that we could be free to play from the third week of April.

At the present time first two position are hold by Rovigo and Valorugby. It has never been discussed about closing the championship with a single final between the first two position, so I doubt it will be taken into consideration also for the CC slot.

My personal opinion is that after this storm, they will value if there's time enough to complete it. If not, they will just cancel it and give the slot to the first of the present table.

Actually, this is just my thoughts, I believe that also clubs will have the possibility to say their side and to participate to the decision.

Cheers PR-WSM

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 04 Apr 2020, 20:00

The doctors of Benetton and Zebre at the forefront of the health emergency

The doctors of the franchises are making their contribution to win a very important game

https://www.onrugby.it/2020/04/03/i-medici-di-benetton-e-zebre-in-prima-linea-per-lemergenza-sanitaria/?fbclid=IwAR04wC0HIdCZ4h3wLQBjBVF--GP162hmjptvq48e_32xGOVA2P5RvsuTagY

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 07 Apr 2020, 18:55

In Italy the lockdown is having a slow but increasing success: the number of infected people is still rising, but the daily amount of new infected persons passed from 6,000 of ten days ago to today's 3000, hospitals and intensive care units are becoming day by day a little less over-pressed and one of our smallest regions, Molise, registered zero new cases both yesterday and today.
So keep strong and focused in your nation too; I'm sure your curve will soon start to flat and to go down if you remain diligent on respecting all the stay-at-home precautions

The daily new amounts in the last 7 days in Italy, if you are interested
https://i.imgur.com/7ZR4Fqp.png

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum