Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Posts: 6971
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 00:36

ficcp wrote:Victor : It is good to know that Rugby is played in ABCD, an area always associated with large factories, warehouses and commercial companies. It looks a good stadium which could incentivate the activity among the local clubs. I hope Corinthians get a high attendance.
I remember Sao Caetano football team which was a succesful oufit wining the Libertadores Cup, some years ago. I understand is not any longer in first division.


Yes, São Caetano is now in the Brazilian 4th division and São Paulo's 2nd division... But they weren't Libertadores champions. They were runners up, losing the final at home against Olimpia in 2002. They played the Brazilian top division for the last time in 2006.

You might remember as well Santo André won the Brazilian Cup (one of most shocking champions ever) in 2004 and played Libertadores in 2005. Santo André played the Brazilian top division for the last time in 2009.

The São Caetano and Santo André are rivals.
Last edited by victorsra on Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 00:48

That's a pretty good crowd size given the circumstances.

Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 00:54

thatrugbyguy wrote:That's a pretty good crowd size given the circumstances.


And that's a pretty good result for the Chilean franchise. The league was shaping up to be more competitive than many had hoped.

Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 01:04

Yes, the results so far seem to be very promising indeed. Another thing to note is that the views for the matches played so far on Youtube are generating more views than Major League Rugby. So there's definite interest in this new competition.

Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 05:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:Yes, the results so far seem to be very promising indeed. Another thing to note is that the views for the matches played so far on Youtube are generating more views than Major League Rugby. So there's definite interest in this new competition.


Well, it's a good quality of Rugby for a start up which helps. But so has the MLR so far this season. I think the established Rugby communities in Sth Am are driving the views.

Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Thomas » Sun, 15 Mar 2020, 07:47


User avatar
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Canalina » Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 12:38


Posts: 717
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 14:39

South Americans, what do you think will be the future of this competition? I was impressed with what I saw before it all had to be called off. The existing teams are all good, but 5 is too few. I have heard it mentioned that Uruguay wants to have another team in SLAR. Would Argentina want to add another or do they already have all the professional teams they want? What is the ideal number of teams for this league?

Posts: 646
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Raven » Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 16:19

As a rugby fan, I´d say the level of play may not yet be there (however it´s only the first round of the first season!), but it´s quite healthy what´s going on; nice number of fans in the stands, quality (free) streaming for people around the world, interesting players across the park of all teams. It will certainly make a difference in the region.

And although I agree with wanting to have more teams involved, investors aren´t easy to find to back these franchise projects. Bigger markets and economies struggle as much (take GRR as i.e and how long it took to get China in...), so IMPO it´ll take a bit longer than expected to see a second team from any country. Only if Nacional from Uruguay wants to emulate Penarol because of the historical rivalry, and if Cafeteros Pro takes the leap of faith everyone is encouriging them to do (in 2021) then there might be a chance of seeing 2 more sides next season, but to plan further ahead it would be difficult. I don´t want to put words on his mouth, but surely Victorsa would also like to see how the venture Corinthians / CBRu works and weather this is the path they both want to continue after their hectic / turbulent last minute arrangement for this season....

Another thing that´s unclear is weather Argentina wants to have another franchise, and how would they run it. Another side with only Argentines?, it is undeniable that they can probably raise another good squad for this competition, by spreading some Jaguares between both sides (perhaps even more than this time), splitting the current Ceibos squad + adding some more Pumitas, as well as other players that may have been dropped from the system at some point and may get another chance. But the season is not long enough to keep them all year on a payroll and although many of these players could then continue playing for Jaguares XV in the Currie Cup and the ARC, many of them would be out of competition for quite some time as they wouldn´t be allowed to play for their (amateur) clubs with the rules they have now (they can only do so once).

Posts: 717
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 17:01

From what you say it seems that 7 teams is the most we can hope for; the current 5 plus Cafeteros and Nacional. That's ok. Seven is a good number of teams; same as CEC Bank Superliga and same as Currie Cup Premier Division.

Posts: 6971
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 19:19

Raven wrote:As a rugby fan, I´d say the level of play may not yet be there (however it´s only the first round of the first season!), but it´s quite healthy what´s going on; nice number of fans in the stands, quality (free) streaming for people around the world, interesting players across the park of all teams. It will certainly make a difference in the region.

And although I agree with wanting to have more teams involved, investors aren´t easy to find to back these franchise projects. Bigger markets and economies struggle as much (take GRR as i.e and how long it took to get China in...), so IMPO it´ll take a bit longer than expected to see a second team from any country. Only if Nacional from Uruguay wants to emulate Penarol because of the historical rivalry, and if Cafeteros Pro takes the leap of faith everyone is encouriging them to do (in 2021) then there might be a chance of seeing 2 more sides next season, but to plan further ahead it would be difficult. I don´t want to put words on his mouth, but surely Victorsa would also like to see how the venture Corinthians / CBRu works and weather this is the path they both want to continue after their hectic / turbulent last minute arrangement for this season....

Another thing that´s unclear is weather Argentina wants to have another franchise, and how would they run it. Another side with only Argentines?, it is undeniable that they can probably raise another good squad for this competition, by spreading some Jaguares between both sides (perhaps even more than this time), splitting the current Ceibos squad + adding some more Pumitas, as well as other players that may have been dropped from the system at some point and may get another chance. But the season is not long enough to keep them all year on a payroll and although many of these players could then continue playing for Jaguares XV in the Currie Cup and the ARC, many of them would be out of competition for quite some time as they wouldn´t be allowed to play for their (amateur) clubs with the rules they have now (they can only do so once).


I don't agree because you are not looking at the real season.

How is Argentina's professional season now?

1st semestre - 2 professional squads in Argentina, in 2 competitions: Jaguares and Ceibos
2nd semestre - 3 competitions that overlap! Los Pumas (TRC), Argentina XV (ARC) and Jaguares XV (Currie Cup).

To have 3 squads at the same time now they'll probably use Pumitas or Argentines from other SLAR franchises. This means a 3rd professional squad in the first semestre won't be bad at all. But a 2nd SLAR franchise needs a private investor, that's the question.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 717
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 20:57

victorsra wrote:
Raven wrote:As a rugby fan, I´d say the level of play may not yet be there (however it´s only the first round of the first season!), but it´s quite healthy what´s going on; nice number of fans in the stands, quality (free) streaming for people around the world, interesting players across the park of all teams. It will certainly make a difference in the region.

And although I agree with wanting to have more teams involved, investors aren´t easy to find to back these franchise projects. Bigger markets and economies struggle as much (take GRR as i.e and how long it took to get China in...), so IMPO it´ll take a bit longer than expected to see a second team from any country. Only if Nacional from Uruguay wants to emulate Penarol because of the historical rivalry, and if Cafeteros Pro takes the leap of faith everyone is encouriging them to do (in 2021) then there might be a chance of seeing 2 more sides next season, but to plan further ahead it would be difficult. I don´t want to put words on his mouth, but surely Victorsa would also like to see how the venture Corinthians / CBRu works and weather this is the path they both want to continue after their hectic / turbulent last minute arrangement for this season....

Another thing that´s unclear is weather Argentina wants to have another franchise, and how would they run it. Another side with only Argentines?, it is undeniable that they can probably raise another good squad for this competition, by spreading some Jaguares between both sides (perhaps even more than this time), splitting the current Ceibos squad + adding some more Pumitas, as well as other players that may have been dropped from the system at some point and may get another chance. But the season is not long enough to keep them all year on a payroll and although many of these players could then continue playing for Jaguares XV in the Currie Cup and the ARC, many of them would be out of competition for quite some time as they wouldn´t be allowed to play for their (amateur) clubs with the rules they have now (they can only do so once).


I don't agree because you are not looking at the real season.

How is Argentina's professional season now?

1st semestre - 2 professional squads in Argentina, in 2 competitions: Jaguares and Ceibos
2nd semestre - 3 competitions that overlap! Los Pumas (TRC), Argentina XV (ARC) and Jaguares XV (Currie Cup).

To have 3 squads at the same time now they'll probably use Pumitas or Argentines from other SLAR franchises. This means a 3rd professional squad in the first semestre won't be bad at all. But a 2nd SLAR franchise needs a private investor, that's the question.


I think there are enough professional Argentinian rugby players in South America for those 3 teams. Jaguares squad is quite big, and playing for Olimpia Lions, Selknam and Peñarol there are another 18 Argentinian players. However, if Argentina need a few more professional players, the easiest and cheapest way to that, and to support SLAR would be to have a Jaguares reserves team play in SLAR. They would probably only have to add about another 10 players to the squad, rather than set up a whole new team somewhere else.

Posts: 646
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Raven » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 12:32

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
victorsra wrote:I don't agree because you are not looking at the real season.

How is Argentina's professional season now?

1st semestre - 2 professional squads in Argentina, in 2 competitions: Jaguares and Ceibos
2nd semestre - 3 competitions that overlap! Los Pumas (TRC), Argentina XV (ARC) and Jaguares XV (Currie Cup).

To have 3 squads at the same time now they'll probably use Pumitas or Argentines from other SLAR franchises. This means a 3rd professional squad in the first semestre won't be bad at all. But a 2nd SLAR franchise needs a private investor, that's the question.


I think there are enough professional Argentinian rugby players in South America for those 3 teams. Jaguares squad is quite big, and playing for Olimpia Lions, Selknam and Peñarol there are another 18 Argentinian players. However, if Argentina need a few more professional players, the easiest and cheapest way to that, and to support SLAR would be to have a Jaguares reserves team play in SLAR. They would probably only have to add about another 10 players to the squad, rather than set up a whole new team somewhere else.


The second part of the year has 3 competitions, but as Chester said you´d also be able to pick players from other franchises plus MLR to compete in the ARC (maybe a handful between both), and don´t forget the players in Europe can now be called to be part of the National team, so it wouldn´t be a surprise to get 6 or 7 from European Leagues (top of my mind now would be Lavanini, Pieretto, Bosch -Hooker in La Rochelle-, Cordero, Matera, Sanchez, Isa, maybe Urdapilleta and perhaps finally give a chance to Pato Fernandez and Gomez Kodela both doing well in Lyon, dunno if Moyano and Imhoff could be in that list too given the amount of back 3's already in the mix..., or Herrera given that he´s dropped his level)

Of course the base of Jaguares XV will have to be made up of Ceibos and Jaguares (as well as Pumitas and players of amateur clubs) as the Currie Cup 1st Div isn´t a national competition that would enable the UAR to bring players from other teams to participate. So all players brought from abroad would be basically for July Tests, The Rugby Ch. and ARC.

Don´t get me wrong, I do agree with that a 2nd SLAR team from ARG would be fantastic (Tucuman, Rosario and "Cuyo region" with Mendoza or San Juan being potential hosts can be a tangible possibility) but I don´t see it being a must nor something they have to aspire to in the short run as things stand right now. And yes, I don´t think a second private investor can appear that easily to have another franchise soon.

Posts: 51
Joined: Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 13:38

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby TuMachNach » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 12:41

Hey guys, SLAR has announced that the competition is suspended till 2021.

https://twitter.com/SLARugby/status/1239884485107294213

User avatar
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 12:58

Wise decision, to me

Posts: 304
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 14:19
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby sammo » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 12:59

Canalina wrote:Wise decision, to me


I agree, it all seemed rushed anyway, especially in the case of Brazil/Corinthians.

Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Thomas » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 13:05


Posts: 6971
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 13:24

very lucky for Brazil.... the Corinthians project was a nightmare...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 41
Joined: Fri, 29 Nov 2019, 13:20
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Pedro1 » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 16:42

The league should have aimed for a 2021 start anyway. The question now is how much of a financial impact this canceled season will have? I assume players still need to be paid whether they play or not...?

Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Thomas » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 16:52

Where the players on guaranteed contracts or performance based?

Posts: 6971
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 16:58

in the case of Brazil, the players are already payed by the Brazilian Rugby Union. Their contracts are with CBRu, not the franchise. So, nothing happens.

The problem is with the other teams...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 646
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Raven » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 17:40

I would assume part of the reason why they decided this, is A) the fact that many countries are closing borders B) players had time-limited contracts, so even if they started again in 3 months some of them would have to leave, or negociate the extention almost while the league was being played.

Unfortunate to see it end so abruptly.

The fact that they have now pushed it to 2021 doesn´t mean they will have more time... they might again start hiring players in November / December anyway...!

Posts: 6971
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 19:03

National teams players will probably stay. But some players might decide to move to Europe if they receive offers. Santiago Arata will play for Castres in 2020-21, for exemple.

But the future of foreign players (the Namibians, Portuguese, South Africans, Fijians, Tongans...) is obviously uncertain.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 22:49
Location: Córdoba
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby argie » Wed, 18 Mar 2020, 01:13

Some foreign players are paid by World Rugby. Specially PIs and Namibians.

And the sports were cancelled all over the world. It is not yet known how this pandemic will evolve.

Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 19 Mar 2020, 13:24

Postponement for another year could end up being a blessing in disguise. I felt that 2021 was a better year to start for the league anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests