Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Posts: 713
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 25 Mar 2020, 18:17

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... mpionship/

Ed Griffiths pledges to save the RFU Championship. I will be interested to see what changes he brings. Hopefully he'll get some midweek matches shown on TV.

User avatar
Posts: 3179
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby 4N » Wed, 25 Mar 2020, 21:09

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Hopefully he'll get some midweek matches shown on TV.


Yes that would be a good idea.

Posts: 6964
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 13:21

https://www.planetrugby.com/rugby-austr ... -survival/

Rugby Australia in record deficit...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 5776
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 22:31

No surprise. This whole situation has shone a light onto just how bad things are financially for not just rugby, but the NRL, AFL, etc. The sports have been living on borrowed time with TV money.

Posts: 6964
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 22:43

What could happen? That Brumbies-Rebels merge? Castle said there is a possibility of another team cut in Super Rugby...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 02:34

victorsra wrote:What could happen? That Brumbies-Rebels merge? Castle said there is a possibility of another team cut in Super Rugby...


May be merge. But most likely the Rebels would be cut and the Brumbies would assume their territory. An option could be cut them loose and let them move across to GRR.
Last edited by Working Class Rugger on Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 5776
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 02:37

Brumbies would essentially split games between Canberra and Melbourne in that case. They should have taken Twiggy's money.......

Posts: 6964
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 06:02

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 5776
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 08:55

It's all at risk at the moment. We are genuinely at the stage where Australian rugby could fall beyond repair. I'm talking about us not even being a T1 nation anymore. For the first time since the game turned pro I believe players will start turning to Rugby League because the opportunities will be far more stable. I only see one path - go back on their hands and knees crawling to Andrew Forrest for help. In return Twiggy would want to see complete structural reform of the game nation wide and for West Australia to have an equal voice to NSW and Queensland moving forward. It's time they swallowed their pride, admit they made a mistake and ask for help.

Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 10:43

It wouldn't surprise me, if this Corona-Crisis leads to the formation of the Nations League. If Australia falls, New Zealand will also have even more troubles.

Lets see if there are idiots in charge (then we will have a closed nations league) or people who understand business.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 6964
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 14:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:It's all at risk at the moment. We are genuinely at the stage where Australian rugby could fall beyond repair. I'm talking about us not even being a T1 nation anymore. For the first time since the game turned pro I believe players will start turning to Rugby League because the opportunities will be far more stable. I only see one path - go back on their hands and knees crawling to Andrew Forrest for help. In return Twiggy would want to see complete structural reform of the game nation wide and for West Australia to have an equal voice to NSW and Queensland moving forward. It's time they swallowed their pride, admit they made a mistake and ask for help.

Wasn't Castle behind Force's exclusion. Maybe she'll try an approach.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 3179
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby 4N » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 14:29

No it was her predecessor Bill Pulver. He left in part because it was a very unpopular decision.

Posts: 6964
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 16:44

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. Maybe Twiggy and Castle could reach a deal.

I might be wrong, but the decision to keep the Rebels was based on market value, thinking about a new TV deal, right? That clearly helped nothing, as the broadcasting/adverstising markets are changing. It would've been more logical to have kept who wanted to invest money and had stronger community support: Force.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2258
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby sk 88 » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 16:57

I struggle to see Australia falling out of T1.

Principal reasons:
1) Grassroots & schools. These are fairly resilient and certainly the top of the pile falling over will not affect them materially, schools play for their own reasons & strong coaching culture at grassroots won't disappear over night. That's a boiling frog/climate change type slowly building problem (assuming it exists more than in any other country)
2) Current players. So on the field the current internationals are what matter, and these don't seem to be bad at all. If they end up earning less or play abroad ... so what? It won't make a difference long term. Rugby league already take a slice, in future they may take a bigger slice, two or so posts above its said they're in as bad a state! So presumably not a sure thing.
3) International playing calendar. Who else are NZ going to play? That's not a joke its a serious point, to a certain point your level of play is determined by your opposition. No one is cancelling the Bledisloe Cup long term (it may or may not happen this year).

Super Rugby may well collapse, those teams may well go back to being state representative teams that act more like State of Origin, domestic Aussie pro players may well earn less for a period of 5 years and may well play for teams with different names in a new competition. Australia may trend to more the level of Argentina or "bad Scotland", and get turned over by Fiji/Tonga/Samoa a little more regularly. But that's still Tier 1 rugby.

And real controversial one, it might be better for the game if the top T1 unions were a bit worse. Make the international game more competitive would make it more interesting.

User avatar
Posts: 3179
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby 4N » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 16:58

victorsra wrote:Exactly, that's what I'm saying. Maybe Twiggy and Castle could reach a deal.

I might be wrong, but the decision to keep the Rebels was based on market value, thinking about a new TV deal, right? That clearly helped nothing, as the broadcasting/adverstising markets are changing. It would've been more logical to have kept who wanted to invest money and had stronger community support: Force.


I see what you are saying now but “wasn’t Castle behind Force’s exclusion” would actually mean she was in favor of kicking them out.

Yes I agree with all of that and did at the time. The Force have stronger grassroots support, were better on the field, and should not have been cut from SR.

Posts: 6964
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 17:37

4N wrote:
I see what you are saying now but “wasn’t Castle behind Force’s exclusion” would actually mean she was in favor of kicking them out.


I mean she wasn't working for RA at that moment, so maybe this could help a dialogue. Specialy because RA under her administration recognised GRR. Maybe Twiggy would be ok to talk about working more together.

And real controversial one, it might be better for the game if the top T1 unions were a bit worse. Make the international game more competitive would make it more interesting.


Everybody will struggle. It is even likely that difference will get worse.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 20:30

victorsra wrote:
4N wrote:
I see what you are saying now but “wasn’t Castle behind Force’s exclusion” would actually mean she was in favor of kicking them out.


I mean she wasn't working for RA at that moment, so maybe this could help a dialogue. Specialy because RA under her administration recognised GRR. Maybe Twiggy would be ok to talk about working more together.

And real controversial one, it might be better for the game if the top T1 unions were a bit worse. Make the international game more competitive would make it more interesting.


Everybody will struggle. It is even likely that difference will get worse.


Forrest has actually been complementary of Castle in his dealings with her. In fact, most everyone who's had dealings with her have said she's actually a very good operator.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: welshdragon2000 and 20 guests