Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 09:09

Once again, there is no guarantee they would welcome us.

I'm not a fan of the idea, I just think I understand the rationale behind it.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 09:44

I am not in favour of having European teams in SLAR. I feel like rugby is out of step with environmental concerns of unnecessary travel. Professional rugby should exist within countries or regions. I am not completely against travel, but I think rugby teams should be undertaking intercontinental travel only once or twice a year, for a tour or to play in a tournament. An Iberian team of Spaniards and Portuguese players touring South America, playing SLAR teams would be a better option, and something I would definitely like to watch.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 12:58

Revista Veintidós quotes FER sources denying any talk with SLAR, Hourcade or their entourage
https://twitter.com/veinti2/status/1248587690280452096

Yet opposition candidate talked about SLAR as a viable alternative for Spanish rugby less than 48 hours ago...

Unread postby 4N » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 15:46

while Russia and Romania would follow Georgia to Currie Cup

That’s probably the worst rugby idea I have ever heard. Romania joining the Italian league would make a lot more sense.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 16:05

I honestly believe intercontinental leagues will suffer a major blow after covid-19. And I'm not talking exactly about travel. I'm talking about global recession.

SLAR's success in the near future lies in the ONLY real market it has: Argentina. Unfortunatly Argentine rugby is too complex and their economy is not doing well.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 17:13

4N wrote:

That’s probably the worst rugby idea I have ever heard. Romania joining the Italian league would make a lot more sense.

I have suggested that before, on this forum, and I was shot down. Italians and Romanians don't like the idea. They mostly just want to just play in their own national league.

Unread postby 4N » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 17:53

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
4N wrote:

I have suggested that before, on this forum, and I was shot down. Italians and Romanians don't like the idea. They mostly just want to just play in their own national league.

If they are looking for something cross border it’s a better alternative than basing a team thousands of miles away during their offseason.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 17:58

it is difficult to predict what will happen with the sports economy after covid19. But those leagues operating in the borderline of professionalism may need to step back to an amateur operation. Why? Because they usualy rely on small/local sponsors (that will struggle now) and on local government (that will have less resources to invest in things like pro teams). Professional national teams will probably be more comercialy viable than clubs, but, as I said in another thread, intercontinental competitions might become inviable/too costly. Of course there is always the possibility of millionaires/billionaires funding teams/leagues, but this possibility existed before covid19 anyway...

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 18:34

4N wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
4N wrote:

If they are looking for something cross border it’s a better alternative than basing a team thousands of miles away during their offseason.

I completely agree.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Higgik » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 20:38

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
4N wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
4N wrote:

I completely agree.

Yes, a combined league would work well and maybe in the longger term, both unions could be looking to France to combine their leagues into one league of say 32 teams 16 in each division.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 20:58

I don't see any reason to do that. It won't create more money or fans, but would add more costs.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 02:40

victorsra wrote:I don't see any reason to do that. It won't create more money or fans, but would add more costs.

If the Kontinental Club Rugby League had gone ahead this year, teams from Romania would have flown to Siberia to play rugby. Italy is a much closer destination. But I guess the Russians would have paid for the flights. There's no money in Romanian rugby or Italian rugby. Flying to Romania would be a big cost, compared to travelling to another north Italian town on a coach. I do however think the Top 12 champions should play the Superliga champions. Surely that could be marketed, sponsored and televised and would cover costs at least.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 14:38

I don't see a reason for an Italian fan to have more interesting in an Italian-Romanian league than in the current Italian Top 12. And I don't see any reason for a Romanian fan to have more interesting in an Italian-Romanian league than in the current Superliga. It won't bring more money and will only offer less chances for each club to be champions.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Unread postby Canalina » Sun, 12 Apr 2020, 05:31

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
victorsra wrote:I don't see any reason to do that. It won't create more money or fans, but would add more costs.

If the Kontinental Club Rugby League had gone ahead this year, teams from Romania would have flown to Siberia to play rugby. Italy is a much closer destination. But I guess the Russians would have paid for the flights. There's no money in Romanian rugby or Italian rugby. Flying to Romania would be a big cost, compared to travelling to another north Italian town on a coach. I do however think the Top 12 champions should play the Superliga champions. Surely that could be marketed, sponsored and televised and would cover costs at least.

No, it wouldn't be marketed nor televised and probably it would not cover the costs, I assure you : )
No one in Italy feels rivalry with Romania and neither a special affinity, so the duel wouldn't have real meaning for us; it would be just a sort of unusual friendly game.
For an hypothetic Top12 champion v Superliga champion I predict 300 spectators on the stands in Italy; I don't know how much in Romania

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 17 Apr 2020, 14:47

Interview with Jean Luc Jadoul, CEO of the Brazilian Rugby Union: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... o-covid-19

We asked him about the future of Corinthians Rugby and he says all possibilities are on the table.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 12 May 2020, 13:46

Interview with Fernando Portugal, Corinthians and Tupis coach. Lots of infos about how the Brazilian teams work http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... o-ovalcast

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 22 May 2020, 21:06

Sudamerica Rugby launched an app, that is in fact focused on SLAR: https://www.sudamerica.rugby/espanol/su ... -3?nid=412

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby Tobar » Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:49

I just downloaded it. It’s surprisingly a well made app considering the fact that nonprofit organizations usually don’t have the best apps, especially for a niche sport.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum