Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

18th November Wales vs Georgia

National Flag:
WalesWales

18th November Wales vs Georgia

Postby Figaro » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 08:26

Stadiwm y Principality, Caerdydd, Kick off 14:30 GMT. The historic first match between the two sides. Live on BBC 2 Wales /iPlayer (I believe), probably only available in the UK, though presumably there will be live streams, Georgian coverage, etc. etc.

Wales Team: TBA

Georgia Team: TBA

I've got tickets for this, I'm stoked! :D

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: 18th November Wales vs Georgia

Postby fullbackace » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 08:35

This week can not end fast enough.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 09:55

A loss of less than 10 would be moral boost for Georgia and give them hope for 2019. They're going for the win though which is the correct attitude to have.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 10:03

4 more days, waiting for Wales squad.
Looking forward for strongest Wales squad and battle ready Dragons.

New year will be sooner than i thought.

Any clues of welsh squad?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 10:13

Any Georgians on the forum coming to Cardiff?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 10:46

I'd imagine Wales won't name their squad until Thursday.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 11:50

A very important game for Georgia, but not for Wales. Later is fully focused on ABs. As for Georgia one more painful loss (20+ points) may psychologically destroy them (both players and fans). Anyway, we are going to find out is our team really progressing or not.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 11:52

BigG wrote:A very important game for Georgia, but not for Wales. Later is fully focused on ABs. As for Georgia one more painful loss (20+ points) may psychologically destroy them (both players and fans). Anyway, we are going to find out is our team really progressing or not.

Feels to me like the most important and interesting T1/T2 clash this Autumn.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 12:00

Figaro wrote:
BigG wrote:A very important game for Georgia, but not for Wales. Later is fully focused on ABs. As for Georgia one more painful loss (20+ points) may psychologically destroy them (both players and fans). Anyway, we are going to find out is our team really progressing or not.

Feels to me like the most important and interesting T1/T2 clash this Autumn.

Agree, because Wales have not the strongest squad for our game. Bearing that in mind it is a brilliant opportunity to measure Georgia's strength (potential).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 12:26

Is hard to see if you are progressing in a game like this because Wales can beat by 20+ almost any team in the world. Probably a game in Tbilisi is much accurate to rate your progress.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby Amateur_IK » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 12:48

Figaro wrote:Stadiwm y Principality, Caerdydd, Kick off 14:30 GMT. The historic first match between the two sides. Live on BBC 2 Wales /iPlayer (I believe),
probably only available in the UK, though presumably there will be live streams, Georgian coverage, etc. etc.
:D

In France.
Live on BeinSport Max 8.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 13:16

Looking at the chart of Principality stadium ticket sales, it is realistic to expect at least 50K at the stadium (if the chart is accurate of course). Georgia getting tier 1 tests is already sign of progress. Now they have to seize this opportunity and play with discipline and without nervousness. If you look at the games against Ireland, Scotland and Argentina, lot of points Georgia conceded was when their player was sin binned. DISCIPLINE, mental toughness and some luck is the recipe for success. I don`t expect Georgia to win, but I would like them to play a nice complete game for 80 min, instead of just showing up for one half.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 13:22

The game is a bigger deal for Wales than you might think; we have a lot of injuries and are trying to develop a new playing style. We have been really poor against T2s in Autumn in the past e.g. beating Japan by 3 points last year, plus narrow victories over Fiji and Tonga in past Autumns and even losing against Samoa back in 20112.

Losing to Australia this time was no big surprise and the consensus seems to be that there were promising signs under the circumstances despite losing yet again. The expectation will be that they will put Georgia away by a lot, but perhaps more important is the manner of the win: if an attractive running/passing game doesn't work against a comparatively weaker team, with a history of weak backs, then who will it work for? There's more riding on this than you might think and a loss would be a huge, huge embarrassment.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 14:46

No offence to Walsh 1st line but i think Gatland must field their best 1st line to stand ground against Nariashvili-Bregvadze-Chilachava.
best choice is:
Samson Lee - Ken Owens - Tomas Francis and i think even they will struggle a lot in scrums. I cant imagine how will Leon Brown stand against Mikheil Nariashvili who is a beast! I remember how Nariashvili was bulling on Adam Jones in 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbx-OAZ ... o9CIxlf2cW

We will know the squads after tomorrow. Waiting for strongest squad by Wales not experimental!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 15:31

If the scrum will be powerful I would rather they play Leon Brown than Tom Francis, the latter is pretty mediocre. I agree that a front row of Smith-Dee-Brown though might be a bit light, but we will see. Scrums alone won't win you the game (like Wales used to back in 2012), you need an excellent defence, good discipline and a word-class goal kicker to do that. Georgia certainly don't have all of those things!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 19:11

I'm Preistland - Patchell at 10-12, with Scott Williams at 13 then we will probably see Jamie Roberts coming off the bench early in the second, especially if its closer than Gatland was expecting.

I absolutely cannot wait for this match!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 19:26

Figaro i agree scrums are not crucial but they are important + Lelos love to scrum and thats only advantage Georgia has.

But i think its about respect not to "loose" too many scrums to t2 nation.

+ Georgian defense is not perfect but Lelos can field descent defense that is what i expect them to do in 18th.

Kicker is a problem but after last week i feel like Matiashvili is not going to miss any points from penalties.

Wales is far better team thats for sure. But i am quite optimistic about the match.

Cant wait.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 19:36

I disagree, these tests are in a way start for 2019 world cup prep, coaches have a lot more in mind than scores.

Figaro
I agree that a front row of Smith-Dee-Brown though might be a bit light, but we will see. Scrums alone won't win you the game (like Wales used to back in 2012), you need an excellent defence, good discipline and a word-class goal kicker to do that. Georgia certainly don't have all of those things!
No we don't but those are exactly our strengths. Unlike Pacific Islands and Japan who are dangerous because of their relentless attack and speed our strong points are quite opposite. Scrumming, Kicking(Until Mekos form started to deteriorate in 2011, and now we have matiashvili), Defense. Which is why imho we've been struggling with Tier 1. Speedy attack is a lot more effective than relentless defense, because Defense always breaks one or two times but if you can't answer the opposition with tries it's over. The good ole pick and go from 5 meters might work once or twice per game but it takes enormous effort from the forwards whereas combinations in the back line take little energy and a lot of creativity.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
SwedenSweden

Postby AXLstockholm » Wed, 15 Nov 2017, 02:27

GeoRugby wrote:Looking at the chart of Principality stadium ticket sales, it is realistic to expect at least 50K at the stadium (if the chart is accurate of course). Georgia getting tier 1 tests is already sign of progress. Now they have to seize this opportunity and play with discipline and without nervousness. If you look at the games against Ireland, Scotland and Argentina, lot of points Georgia conceded was when their player was sin binned. DISCIPLINE, mental toughness and some luck is the recipe for success. I don`t expect Georgia to win, but I would like them to play a nice complete game for 80 min, instead of just showing up for one half.

Good to hear a decent crowd is expected this weekend.

I believe if Georgia can restrict Wales to margin of less than 10 points by halftime, the inexperience of the Welsh may show with some self doubt creeping in by the second half. Tier 2 nations are so much fitter than previous years, they should be on par with Wales for most of the game.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 15 Nov 2017, 08:15

AXLstockholm wrote:
GeoRugby wrote:Looking at the chart of Principality stadium ticket sales, it is realistic to expect at least 50K at the stadium (if the chart is accurate of course). Georgia getting tier 1 tests is already sign of progress. Now they have to seize this opportunity and play with discipline and without nervousness. If you look at the games against Ireland, Scotland and Argentina, lot of points Georgia conceded was when their player was sin binned. DISCIPLINE, mental toughness and some luck is the recipe for success. I don`t expect Georgia to win, but I would like them to play a nice complete game for 80 min, instead of just showing up for one half.

Good to hear a decent crowd is expected this weekend.

I believe if Georgia can restrict Wales to margin of less than 10 points by halftime, the inexperience of the Welsh may show with some self doubt creeping in by the second half. Tier 2 nations are so much fitter than previous years, they should be on par with Wales for most of the game.

Actually 50k would be a comparatively small crowd for a Wales match at the Millenium Stadium (74k seats); if it is indeed the size of the crowd I think it'll be the smallest for some years. They usually sell out all Six Nations and All Blacks games and get 60k+ for everything else. They sold out vs. Japan last year, a fact which was attributed to the lower priced tickets - the cheapest were £20 as opposed to £35 for the other Autumn games - so I'm not really sure why Georgia isn't selling better as the pricing scheme is the same. The Pacific Island teams usually get a better crowd than that as well. The only thing I can think is that Japan and Fiji are more "glamorous" opponents with a reputation for exciting play, whilst Georgia are a bit of an unknown quantity. Plus Japan were still coasting the glory of beating SA a year before. Whatever - I'm sure it'll be a great experience!

Wales almost never put T2 opponents to the sword and have quite a poor record in the Autumn, so I suspect that our win here (and yes I do still think we'll win) will probably be quite laboured. I'm hoping it will be more exciting than that though.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 11:13

Wales side to play Georgia:

1. Nicky Smith
2. Kristian Dacey*
3. Leon Brown*
4. Adam Beard*
5. Cory Hill
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Cross*
8. Seb Davies*
9. Rhys Webb
10. Rhys Priestland
11. Hallam Amos
12. Owen Watkin*
13. Scott Williams
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Liam Williams

Reps: Elliot Dee*, Wyn Jones*, Tomas Francis, Josh Navidi, Taulupe Faletau, Aled Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Williams

Bold = first choice players (considering current injuries)
* = <5 caps

Very strange squad. Seb Davies is a lock, no idea why he is starting at 8 and then 2 number 8s on the bench. Scott Williams, Alex Cuthbert, Rhys Priestland and Dan Lydiate are out of favour at the moment but are very experienced internationals with 40+ caps each. This is a 2nd XV but it's not a Lions Tour youth squad, and the bench is very strong.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 11:17

Uhh Wales want to lose ?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 11:18

14 of the 23 were involved in some capacity against Australia

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 11:23

in some capacity

including - but not limited to - WATER BOY :!:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 11:24

I think this team give Georgia a sniff but Gatland will send the big boys later in the game to finish the job. The opening minutes will be very important.
LE. Shuhei Kubo...not this guy again.At least he is assistant and his intervention in the game will be limited but he is a joke of a ref :)

Next

Return to Rugby Forum