Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

Online
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 20:20

TheStroBro wrote:So basically you have an under-developed philanthropic arm. You need to have to CEO and Board chair hosting dinners and getting checks from people who seem to like Rugby. It's called being a non-profit and member organization. The National Team is not a member service. So membership fees shouldn't go to subsidizing that. The National team is supposed to be a revenue generator. Good crowds against Maori and Uruguay led to how much in the bank account? Our Finances are shit down here to, but you can't tell me that your board doesn't have any friends to shake down for money


This is my point. Right now the National Team makes no money so they need to increase the amount of money it makes or drastically reduce their costs.

User avatar
Posts: 2026
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby iul » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 20:31

RC has gotten very fat. 50 employees? WTF??!

Online
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 20:48

iul wrote:RC has gotten very fat. 50 employees? WTF??!


No kidding! Look at the Salaries: 1.6 Million Bucks!

User avatar
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 17:23

The reality is that RC knows that they have you over a barrel and nothing will be done. Nobody is going to quit playing because of a $20 increase in fees. Everyone will pay, some will gripe on Facebook, others will gripe on this forum or other forums but in the end nothing will change. The only way this will change is if the clubs force the provincial unions into acting. They are the only ones with any power in this situation. What are you going to do, punish your kid and not pay the increased fees and not let him play mini's this year? Are you going to give up playing the sport that you love, with your good friends, down at the club over $20. Nope... not going to happen. Until the clubs take a stand at their provincial AGM's and the provincial unions in turn take that same stand with the national union, no change will ever take place.

When the local club stops being the place to drink beers with our buddies and becomes the place where we begin to advocate for grassroots rugby change will come.

Posts: 25
Joined: Tue, 18 Oct 2016, 17:59
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby north walian » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 17:54

Impressed with Quattrin for The Arrows, could be a contender for the hooker spot.

Posts: 92
Joined: Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 21:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Was_a_Kat » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 18:00

I will say that as a former player/club exec/Union exec/youth coach etc., I have never felt a greater disconnect with RC than I do now. I’ve always supported the national teams, but at this point RWC 2019 is irrelevant to me as a fan. Wake me up in 8 years and tell me if they have righted the ship.

User avatar
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 21:57

Yup. Bring on the MLR.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Posts: 1073
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 00:47

Arrows have signed a partnership with Hurricanes.

Posts: 227
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:22
Location: Beamsville, ON, Canada
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby GentsRugger » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 01:57

TheStroBro wrote:Arrows have signed a partnership with Hurricanes.

I don't exactly know what this means or what it will do for them but I would think it will help them in some way. Whether it be with sending players the Arrows way, coaching, or helping on the business side of things. This shows good initiative on the Arrows part.
Hopefully this helps show the MLR they're serious and here to stay.
I can't wait to go to the game Saturday and I hope they get a good attendance..

Posts: 4014
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 11:00

Where are the Arrows likely to play? MY understanding is the field where the Wolfpack play has turf that isn't to WR standards.

Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 11:56

thatrugbyguy wrote:Where are the Arrows likely to play? MY understanding is the field where the Wolfpack play has turf that isn't to WR standards.


York University.

Posts: 4014
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 12:07

There's a big 'ole athletics track around it from the images I've seen. Maybe they could put some temporary stands on the other side.

Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 12:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:There's a big 'ole athletics track around it from the images I've seen. Maybe they could put some temporary stands on the other side.


This game will be at the Alumni Stadium. Which if you're looking at it via Google Earth is the other one near the railway station.

User avatar
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 14:50

Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Posts: 1073
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 14:53

thatrugbyguy wrote:There's a big 'ole athletics track around it from the images I've seen. Maybe they could put some temporary stands on the other side.

What's the problem with tracks? Home side has 3k Seats. York has previously brought in temporary bleachers before.

The pitch fits just fine.

Working Class Rugger wrote:
This game will be at the Alumni Stadium. Which if you're looking at it via Google Earth is the other one near the railway station.


It's actually York Lions Stadium, not Alumni Field where the football team plays.

User avatar
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 15:37

TheStroBro wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:There's a big 'ole athletics track around it from the images I've seen. Maybe they could put some temporary stands on the other side.

What's the problem with tracks? Home side has 3k Seats. York has previously brought in temporary bleachers before.

The pitch fits just fine.

Working Class Rugger wrote:
This game will be at the Alumni Stadium. Which if you're looking at it via Google Earth is the other one near the railway station.


It's actually York Lions Stadium, not Alumni Field where the football team plays.


They've moved it to the football stadium cus the grass isn't ready.

https://ontarioarrowsrugby.com/2018/04/ ... home-soil/
For fans heading to the Arrows’ home opener this Saturday, please note that the match venue has been shifted to York University’s Alumni Stadium. While the match was originally scheduled to played on the adjacent York Lions Stadium (located just steps away from York Alumni Stadium), York University officials advised the club that due to the prolonged spell of cold, wet weather, the natural grass at York Lions Stadium is not yet ready for competition.

York University officials are confident that the playing surface will be ready for the Arrows’ next home match: a fixture against Boston Mystic River Rugby Club on Saturday, May 5 (4:30 p.m. kickoff).

“We’re looking forward to playing on the natural grass surface against Boston, and perhaps additional matches later this season,” added Webb. “We’ll have more information in the coming weeks.”
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Posts: 84
Joined: Tue, 28 Feb 2017, 03:39
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 15:39

jonny24 wrote:The RC fiasco made it onto CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/w ... -1.4613891



I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess it's just going to fade into being now. Everyone will play. No major changes will take place at the top end and the men's team will still go 0-4 at the RWC if they make it (possibly with a morale-boosting "See! We're on the right track!" upset).

I genuinely believe they won't make any changes unless there's a complete crash and burn, such as not getting past the Repechage. Though even then, we've been doing pretty much the surface bandaid 'solution' to the top end, with not much (please enlighten if I'm wrong) to address the grassroots issues, from which - ultimately - national team players are developed.

User avatar
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 16:24

Used2BwithIt wrote:
jonny24 wrote:The RC fiasco made it onto CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/w ... -1.4613891



I shouldn't be surprised, but I guess it's just going to fade into being now. Everyone will play. No major changes will take place at the top end and the men's team will still go 0-4 at the RWC if they make it (possibly with a morale-boosting "See! We're on the right track!" upset).

I genuinely believe they won't make any changes unless there's a complete crash and burn, such as not getting past the Repechage. Though even then, we've been doing pretty much the surface bandaid 'solution' to the top end, with not much (please enlighten if I'm wrong) to address the grassroots issues, from which - ultimately - national team players are developed.


You're probably right. If we were to miss out, by the sounds of it the funding shortfall would be much too big to make up just from dues? Like if they lose out millions, they can't just go jacking dues by hundreds. So obviously our national programs and high performance programs etc would almost have to be scrapped, or cut way back. But I'm not sure how much at the grassroots would change. Each clubs runs itself, we give money to the bodies not receive funding, so we'd all still exist and could continue to schedule leagues and matches. Perhaps coaching and ref training would increase, if maybe RC subsidizes those? Does RC provide funding to the provincial unions?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

User avatar
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 18:29

A bit more thinking about York U.

First, ho boy do I feel old, I had been thinking that the Canada-Wales match there was in 2012, turns out it was actually 2009! Which does make sense, I was in high school and brought a girl with me so I don't remember much of the match. Attendance was 8,450 according to CBC, with temporary end zone stands and some bleachers added to the other side, along with popup tents for I guess "club" seating.

But I was looking on Google, and the pitch at the newer Lions Stadium looks pretty small. I scaled it as best as I could, and it looks like it's only about 100m x 60m, with a slight curve on one side.
Image

Assuming you'd want a few meters on either side, and min. 6m goal areas, it's probably only going to be a 95m x 55m playing field.

I compared that to Alumni Field, where Canada played and where the Arrows first game will be. It's a bit better size-wise at 73.8m width of grass, which would allow for a regular 68-70m wide field. And being a football field obviously 110yds/ just over 100m between goal lines, and 20yd/18.3 m goal areas. But it's now artificial turf, with I'm assuming permanent lines, so that's not a great look long-term. It does also have stand significantly closer to the field, at 7.3m/ 24ft, vs 19.5m/64ft.

Image
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

User avatar
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:25
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 03:10

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8924985249

Here's the Wolf Pack traveling roster for their "game" against Seattle. I think it's the same group heading to Utah as well. I know there's a number of players they wanted to start who are unavailable due to injury and work commitments. I saw a lot of these guys play last weekend in the Calgary Mavericks vs Edmonton Gold exhibition and I really don't have my hopes up. The lads have heart and skill but most haven't played since September and looked sloppy and rusty despite regular off-season training.

Posts: 4014
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 06:21

jonny24 wrote:A bit more thinking about York U.

First, ho boy do I feel old, I had been thinking that the Canada-Wales match there was in 2012, turns out it was actually 2009! Which does make sense, I was in high school and brought a girl with me so I don't remember much of the match. Attendance was 8,450 according to CBC, with temporary end zone stands and some bleachers added to the other side, along with popup tents for I guess "club" seating.

But I was looking on Google, and the pitch at the newer Lions Stadium looks pretty small. I scaled it as best as I could, and it looks like it's only about 100m x 60m, with a slight curve on one side.
Image

Assuming you'd want a few meters on either side, and min. 6m goal areas, it's probably only going to be a 95m x 55m playing field.

I compared that to Alumni Field, where Canada played and where the Arrows first game will be. It's a bit better size-wise at 73.8m width of grass, which would allow for a regular 68-70m wide field. And being a football field obviously 110yds/ just over 100m between goal lines, and 20yd/18.3 m goal areas. But it's now artificial turf, with I'm assuming permanent lines, so that's not a great look long-term. It does also have stand significantly closer to the field, at 7.3m/ 24ft, vs 19.5m/64ft.

Image



I know it's a pain in the arse to change field markings for different sports but I have no idea how players in North America can play on these fields with so many different coloured markings on the ground. Surely there's a better solution than what's currently being used.

Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 04:44
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby cien_almas » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 05:02

Seattle Seawolves beat Prairie Wolf Pack by 45-7 or so.

Wolf Pack had multiple players who were only playing 2nd division rugby last year.

Neither team organized enough to put out a press release, announce the game on twitter, or release pre-game lineups. Not a good look.

Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 05:07

cien_almas wrote:Seattle Seawolves beat Prairie Wolf Pack by 45-7 or so.

Wolf Pack had multiple players who were only playing 2nd division rugby last year.

Neither team organized enough to put out a press release, announce the game on twitter, or release pre-game lineups. Not a good look.


It was a scrimmage. Literally no other team has really bothered making a big song and dance about their own in the past.

Posts: 31
Joined: Sat, 10 Oct 2015, 18:20
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby mb.rugger89 » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 14:15

Working Class Rugger wrote:
cien_almas wrote:Seattle Seawolves beat Prairie Wolf Pack by 45-7 or so.

Wolf Pack had multiple players who were only playing 2nd division rugby last year.

Neither team organized enough to put out a press release, announce the game on twitter, or release pre-game lineups. Not a good look.


It was a scrimmage. Literally no other team has really bothered making a big song and dance about their own in the past.


Normally i couldnt care less about what the "regional" team does, but in this instance they could be trying to promote the game more, especially after the bad press from Rugby Canada's ridiculous fee increase.

Posts: 1073
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 16:56

cien_almas wrote:Seattle Seawolves beat Prairie Wolf Pack by 45-7 or so.

Wolf Pack had multiple players who were only playing 2nd division rugby last year.

Neither team organized enough to put out a press release, announce the game on twitter, or release pre-game lineups. Not a good look.


47-7. It was a closed scrimmage, but the Wolf Pack did live tweet it. They have a match against Utah this week which should be livestreamed.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests