Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby MLB3BB2 » Mon, 25 Jun 2018, 17:43

Re: The Eagles match vs Ireland in November, I'd be surprised if Ireland field their best team. For one, they'll be coming off three matches vs Tier 1 teams, including the ABs the week prior; also, it's just before a pair of key European Champions Cup matches. Since they pair up the 1st and 2nd seeds on back-to-back weekends in December, Leinster will be facing Wasps twice and they'll want some fresh players for those matches. As a former Leinster coach, I expect Joe Schmidt to work with them on that. But even if it's Joey Carbery or Ross Byrne at 10 instead of Sexton, I still expect Ireland to win it. However, it should be a good contest and will be great to see how far the Eagles have come. The APC should be a good warm-up for the MLR-based players, before the players based abroad join in for the November tests.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 01:33

At least it might mean the US have the best Irish flyhalf on the pitch!

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 02:11

MLB3BB2 wrote:Re: The Eagles match vs Ireland in November, I'd be surprised if Ireland field their best team. For one, they'll be coming off three matches vs Tier 1 teams, including the ABs the week prior; also, it's just before a pair of key European Champions Cup matches. Since they pair up the 1st and 2nd seeds on back-to-back weekends in December, Leinster will be facing Wasps twice and they'll want some fresh players for those matches. As a former Leinster coach, I expect Joe Schmidt to work with them on that. But even if it's Joey Carbery or Ross Byrne at 10 instead of Sexton, I still expect Ireland to win it. However, it should be a good contest and will be great to see how far the Eagles have come. The APC should be a good warm-up for the MLR-based players, before the players based abroad join in for the November tests.

Yeah IRE will have at least some fringe guys in for that game. trouble is as we saw last year with the 2nd string IRE team in the US and Japan that they were pretty hot themselves. And as I said, it will be the final game of the tour and year for the US. Those games are always hard mentally when you're tired. Players can have one eye on the plane home. And make no mistake by the time the whistle blows for the end of the game in Dublin it will have been quite a long year for many of the US players who started playing in the ARC way back at the start of the year. NZ fans often consider the last game of the year up in Europe a banana peel for ABs. Even in Buenos Aires coming home a couple of times from Europe we almost came a cropper in the early 2000s! Just as well the US guys aren't playing the RC as well! :lol: In all seriousness I hope the players get some really decent rest time in July and August, and through to September for the domestic guys.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 02:12

btw has anyone had an update on how Mikey Teo is doing?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 07:59

WalesOnline are reporting that Samu Manoa is singing for Cardiff Blues. Probably good news for the US national side if true as the Blues have been very willing to let Scully play for the US.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 08:21

Figaro wrote:WalesOnline are reporting that Samu Manoa is singing for Cardiff Blues

I love this typo. :lol:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 08:25

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Figaro wrote:WalesOnline are reporting that Samu Manoa is singing for Cardiff Blues

I love this typo. :lol:

:lol:
Well it is Wales. You do what you can to fit in. :thumbup:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 21:59

Any info on Mitchel MacCartney? I find it bizarre to see a young American player signing with a second-tier Spanish club considering how MLR is buzzing:
http://rugbyspain.com/2018/07/primer-fi ... accartney/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 22:52

Never heard of him before. Is he good?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 22:56

No clue, that's why I'm asking :D

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 12:47

Well you’re closer to him than we are!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 03:37

Wallabies and Eagles might be playing next year in San Francisco Bay area.

http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2018 ... l?spref=tw

Interesting it mentions games.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 14:24

According to what I found he played for Wheeling Jesuit University. is that a good Rugby Club??

Postby 4N » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 14:36

It's a newer university side with good support from the school and some quality athletes. Not the top tier.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 14:57

Wheeling Jesuit is the alma mater of Eagle Peter Malcolm who didn't play in MLR this year because of an ACL tear. There is another WJU alum playing for Austin but I forget who (Chris Schade?). It was given varsity status around 6 years ago and seemed to be taking it to the next level but apparently the administration isn't giving them as much support as they thought they were going to get - already going through 3 coaches and apparently a decent amount are transferring out.

https://www.florugby.com/articles/59682 ... -gets-real

Not sure if you can read the article without a subscription so here's part of the article (there's a video too and they talk about WJU at around 7 mins).

But Malcolm, who will play for the Collegiate All-Americans against Oxford University in September, saved his strongest words for Wheeling Jesuit. WJU started a varsity program six years ago, but after putting together a playoff D1A program, the administration seemed to sour on the sport. Wheeling Jesuit went through three coaches in as many years and, tellingly, started a football program this year.

"It started to seem pretty evident to me... that they don't care about us as much as they gave the impression six years ago," Malcolm said, adding that WJU "pulled the rug out from under us."

It was clearly a very personal situation for Malcolm, who battled to save the program last year.

Long story short, he should know Malcolm and at least 1 other player in MLR. If anyone was targeting him I'd imagine that it would be Austin.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 15:04

Adding to my post, here is something else I found about him. Looks like he transferred out of WJU and went to University of South Carolina. He also spent time with the USA 7s residency camp.

Mitchel MacCartney is the first incorporation of the Cajasol Sciences for the 2018-2019 season.
Chesapeake, Virginia (USA), 25 years old, 93 kg and 1.88 meters tall, is a powerful player, forceful in defense and very fast in attack. It occupies center positions and can also play wing.
He comes from the University of South Carolina RFC. Previously he has played with Wheeling Jesuit University Rugby, Norfolk Blues RFC, USA 7's National Residency Camp and Las Vegas Select 7's (Elite International Devision)
Mitchel tells us that he is very happy to come to Science. "I've always wanted to live in Spain, when the opportunity to play with the Sciences became real, I was clear about other offers from Europe"

http://rugbyciencias.com/mitchel-maccar ... o-2018-19/

Postby 4N » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 15:09

Malcolm is very promising. Hopes he makes a full recovery. Another one out of Florida, like Dolan and Baker...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 17:50

Florida's an interesting place (and no, not just because there is an entire subreddit called Florida Man). There is no central city....Miami and lots of South Florida is beaches, vacation and immigrants from Latin America; central Florida is Disney and northern Florida is swampland (basically Deliverance). But they've got lots of college football powerhouses like Florida, Florida State and UMiami (well, they used to be).

Fun fact - the guy who convinced Cam Dolan to play rugby is his high school buddy, Shane Young....aka co-founder of Memphis Inner City Rugby. This guy's done great things for USA rugby in more ways than one.

Postby 4N » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 18:17

Miami up to West Palm is a huge urban area. Lots of people from everywhere. Tampa too although there are more retirees and it’s not as big.

I don’t know anything thing about the Memphis program but looking up Young he is an alumni of Teach for America (union-busting). Boo.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/10/tfa- ... w-orleans/

Teach for America is an elite funded movement that slaps a phony "civil rights" gloss on union busting & laying off working class teachers

https://mobile.twitter.com/ckilpatrick/ ... 5268932608

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 18:27

Even if one agrees that TfA is a union busting organization (many would disagree with that), that doesn't mean that every alumnus of the program is for that or even would be aware of that possible impact. Pretty much every TfA person I've ever met has been a genuine do-gooder who has done it out of a desire to make a positive impact in low income communities.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 19:16

4N wrote:Miami up to West Palm is a huge urban area. Lots of people from everywhere. Tampa too although there are more retirees and it’s not as big.

I don’t know anything thing about the Memphis program but looking up Young he is an alumni of Teach for America (union-busting). Boo.

Teach for America is an elite funded movement that slaps a phony "civil rights" gloss on union busting & laying off working class teachers

Teach For America is a program that puts teachers in underserved inner city areas. This is the intent of the teachers who sign up for it at least.

Miami to West Palm is a huge urban area but they have shit fans. If you ever watch a Dolphins or Marlins game you'll notice the bright emptiness of seats. Whenever the Mets/Jets play down there it's a home game.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 19:46

4N wrote:Miami up to West Palm is a huge urban area. Lots of people from everywhere. Tampa too although there are more retirees and it’s not as big.

Huh? TFA is a great program putting teachers in under-served communities that would never find themselves in that space. My only issue with the program is that they only require a two year commitment from the teachers that go into the program.

Postby 4N » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 20:12

Marlins have no fans because of their history (fire sale any time they are good) and the Phins don’t play in the best location. Southeast Florida is like LA, it’s difficult to get around and mostly has people crammed near the water, so it stretches quite a bit. It takes about two hours to get from the north end of the metro to the south.

Re: TFA. Charter schools and wet behind the ears college kids are not what inner city students need. Kudos to the guy on the rugby program. Anything that gets kids exercising and bonding is good. I say this as the founder of an U19 team at a lower middle class public school. Launched it with a friend (ex Marine) with no help from anyone else, including the school or local union. Unfortunately it only lasted a few years due to lack of support, though they did win a D2 area title so that was good. I think about 5 or 6 kids from that team ended up enlisting in the military. They were a great bunch, very determined and beat some established programs. Wish it still existed but I live a long way away now.

But again credit to this guy for introducing young kids in a tough environment to the sport and I hope they get as much enjoyment out of it as I have.

Postby 4N » Mon, 30 Jul 2018, 13:31

Three players from Kahuku (Hawaii) High School named in USA youth 7s team. :thumbup:

https://www.usarugby.org/2018/07/mens-e ... mpic-team/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 30 Jul 2018, 14:47

Cool, Hawaii should have more rugby players.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum