Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 22:11

welshdragon2000 wrote:The combine finished 59-31 to the Americas team, consisting of 7 Uruguayans, 7 Brazilians and 1 Chilean, against Glendale Raptors. Is there a replay of this game anywhere or did anyone watch it and have any opinions to share on the game regarding who played well and caught the eye?

Here is a replay: http://infinityparkatglendale.com/live-stream/

I've only skimmed it, but basically everyone on the RA team played well and would significantly improve the level of MLR. Decent defence for a scratch team as well.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 22:21

welshdragon2000 wrote:The combine finished 59-31 to the Americas team, consisting of 7 Uruguayans, 7 Brazilians and 1 Chilean, against Glendale Raptors. Is there a replay of this game anywhere or did anyone watch it and have any opinions to share on the game regarding who played well and caught the eye?

Solid game, about what I wanted to see from the Raptors since they lost to the CAAs. They've gotten better, fixed some holes but still need a lock.

And from the Rugby Americas team, I expected a good team to show out and they did. All of the South Americans should receive contracts because they were good. If you took that put together team they'd probably win MLR this season.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 00:27

TheStroBro wrote:

Solid game, about what I wanted to see from the Raptors since they lost to the CAAs. They've gotten better, fixed some holes but still need a lock.

And from the Rugby Americas team, I expected a good team to show out and they did. All of the South Americans should receive contracts because they were good. If you took that put together team they'd probably win MLR this season.

More of a thought experiment than an actual suggestion. But say if the LSR doesn't eventuate do you think MLR would be open to at least one or may be even two combined Latin American teams entering MLR (backed by their Unions and WR) and where would you base them (assuming that in order to compete they'd have to be based somewhere in Nth America).

Again, more of a thought experiment as in reality I'd see these guys plus others being contracted to the respective present and future MLR franchises.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 13:29

I say wait until we know what's happening with the South American Pro League before entertaining that idea. But good to hear the South Americans played well. The entire Americas continent is going to benefit if there are opportunities allowed for players in the North and South to play in each others pro leagues. The competitiveness in the ARC will rise as a result.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 15:52

Working Class Rugger wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

More of a thought experiment than an actual suggestion. But say if the LSR doesn't eventuate do you think MLR would be open to at least one or may be even two combined Latin American teams entering MLR (backed by their Unions and WR) and where would you base them (assuming that in order to compete they'd have to be based somewhere in Nth America).

Again, more of a thought experiment as in reality I'd see these guys plus others being contracted to the respective present and future MLR franchises.

You wouldn't need dedicated teams, just have no quotas and let the teams sign who they like. If there is a properly pro salary level MLR without recruiting restrictions in South America (or even without recruiting restrictions on non-Arg South Americans) you'd get a large number pretty quickly, spread out 3 or 4 per team.

You don't need to ghetto them into one team and make that town's team entirely foreign.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 15:53

Guilting World Rugby into paying towards it though is a pretty sound idea!

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 18:25

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... -for-2020/

Toronto Arrows confirmed.

DC confirmed for 2020. LA dropped.

Positive news on Toronto and DC.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 19:37

Love the new logo for the Arrows.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 20:19

sk 88 wrote:http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/11/02/mlr-confirms-arrows-for-2019-dc-for-2020/

Is LA really out? There is room for 13 teams in a 12-matches regular season.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 20:35

victorsra wrote:
sk 88 wrote:http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/11/02/mlr-confirms-arrows-for-2019-dc-for-2020/

Is LA really out? There is room for 13 teams in a 12-matches regular season.

Heard a couple things that saw them fall short. One being they didn't have the necessary funding levels on hand. But apparently the biggest one was the Legion who claimed LA as part of their territory. Which neither SD or LA Rugby fans agree with but that's how it worked out. Next season will be a 16 game regular season for all teams. And likely the same in 2020 but I'm willing to bet we'll see the league split into two conferences.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 22:09

I think I preferred the old logo and colour scheme for Toronto. But regardless, we'll have 12 teams by season 3 which is great.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 23:27

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Heard a couple things that saw them fall short. One being they didn't have the necessary funding levels on hand. But apparently the biggest one was the Legion who claimed LA as part of their territory. Which neither SD or LA Rugby fans agree with but that's how it worked out. Next season will be a 16 game regular season for all teams. And likely the same in 2020 but I'm willing to bet we'll see the league split into two conferences.

So...they had the money. But that's about it.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 02 Nov 2018, 23:50

That's like Sydney trying to claim Newcastle as its territory.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 00:16

grande wrote:Love the new logo for the Arrows.

I kinda hate it lol. Looks like a not coloured in AC Milan. I don't think it represents Toronto very well... I also liked the Ontario name.

We'll see if it grows on me, but for now.... I'm glad I have one of the original hats.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 03 Nov 2018, 02:31

thatrugbyguy wrote:That's like Sydney trying to claim Newcastle as its territory.

Yep.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 18:39

Schedule will be live tomorrow.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 22:44

Today we interview Josh Reeves and he confirmed: he signed for Utah Warriors.

Josh Reeves is the NZ-born Brazilian national team fly-half.

Wilton Murilo Rebolo, Brazil's first rower, will also play the MLR, but I don't know in which team yet.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 07 Nov 2018, 08:32

16 games in 19 weeks is a really nice balanced calendar. 8 home games should be enough to begin to develop a proper income base for the league/teams to develop from.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 11:48

2019 Schedule is up. Toronto with 8 games on the road first up. Whilst I expected them to start the season with away games I didn't think it would be 8 straight weeks.

https://www.usmlr.com/schedules/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 17:09

Tough with the weather and scheduling around the test matches. If we didn't have those test matches in the summer that we're planning around then it'd be easier to do a March-August schedule or something like that.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 17:14

Tobar wrote:Tough with the weather and scheduling around the test matches. If we didn't have those test matches in the summer that we're planning around then it'd be easier to do a March-August schedule or something like that.

Not really, World Rugby says professional competitions have to be seasons complete in June because of the new Window. So if we ever have a minor league system they can play whenever, but the top competition has to be complete.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 23:54

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:Tough with the weather and scheduling around the test matches. If we didn't have those test matches in the summer that we're planning around then it'd be easier to do a March-August schedule or something like that.

Not really, World Rugby says professional competitions have to be seasons complete in June because of the new Window. So if we ever have a minor league system they can play whenever, but the top competition has to be complete.

Which is really inflexible. What if in 20 years Canada wants our own league? We only play April May June, because of a WR rule?

**I know this will never happen, but still.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 00:54

jonny24 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Which is really inflexible. What if in 20 years Canada wants our own league? We only play April May June, because of a WR rule?

**I know this will never happen, but still.

When do you play 7s?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 02:19

Seasons having to be complete by June is a rule I've never heard of before.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 04:13

thatrugbyguy wrote:Seasons having to be complete by June is a rule I've never heard of before.

That's why the moved the Test Window to July.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum