Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Oceania

Posts: 3211
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 08:08

Edgar wrote: Their glory days, as we all know, were in the 1990s when they were able to tap into their New Zealand-based diaspora.


Ehm, 15 New Zealand born players in the RWC squad is what you would call a healthy tap into their diaspora, right?
Source: http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/0 ... -rwc-2019/

I know where you are coming from, but the still extremely lax rules are not the reason why they don't perform that well anymore.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
Location: United Federation of Planets

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 13:29

This news item is not far off a year old, but I discovered it recently and it may have been missed. Highlights the challanges of organised competition when only one ground for rugby exists throughout numerous islands.

Playing for Island, Playing for Country, Playing for Oceania: Tuvalu Rugby at Home and Abroad/

Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby victorsra » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 21:44

Very cool.

Those countries that are formed by atolls are much more difficult for outdoor team sports because of the lack of space. The same field is also the only one for soccer.

At least Tuvalu and Kiribati have a field. The Marshall Islands capital Majuru has none and it remains the only country in the world with virtually no soccer - and I guess no rugby... at least not field rugby or field soccer... maybe in the beach.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3211
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 17 Jan 2020, 07:44

Fascinating stories. Wasn't aware that the Marshall Islands have 53k inhabitants :shock:
Nice short story I've found why they don't do soccer (and probably rugby).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sATZpL6JccY
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Fri, 17 Jan 2020, 09:23

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Edgar wrote: Their glory days, as we all know, were in the 1990s when they were able to tap into their New Zealand-based diaspora.


Ehm, 15 New Zealand born players in the RWC squad is what you would call a healthy tap into their diaspora, right?
Source: http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/0 ... -rwc-2019/

I know where you are coming from, but the still extremely lax rules are not the reason why they don't perform that well anymore.


But the rules have been tightened up quite significantly since the 1990s, when Samoa took on the appearance of New Zealand's 'B' team. There were other factors at play, of course. This was the shamateur era and many of those players were pro's from the Auckland region - competing mostly against amateurs - even at the 99 World Cup, as it took some of the leading nations a decade or so to manage the transition. You are right that they are continuing to tap into their Kiwi diaspora. All I'm saying is that Samoa is still a far more competitive rugby nation today than it was prior to the 1990s.

At least Tuvalu and Kiribati have a field. The Marshall Islands capital Majuru has none and it remains the only country in the world with virtually no soccer - and I guess no rugby... at least not field rugby or field soccer... maybe in the beach.


Probably something to do with the 67 nuclear bombs America exploded in the islands after WWII, leading to mass evacuations and rampant cancer among the returnees - so that they had to be evacuated again as recently as the seventies. The native, ethnic Micronesian population continues to live in abject squalor alongside a substantially more privileged military community. The bikini was named for the explosion, not the atoll. :(

Posts: 3211
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 17 Jan 2020, 09:57

Edgar wrote:Probably something to do with the 67 nuclear bombs America exploded in the islands after WWII, leading to mass evacuations and rampant cancer among the returnees - so that they had to be evacuated again as recently as the seventies. The native, ethnic Micronesian population continues to live in abject squalor alongside a substantially more privileged military community. The bikini was named for the explosion, not the atoll. :(


See the youtube-video I posted above. 54k people are living there and they don't have enough space for a pitch (the evacuations might be a part of the space problem though).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 14:29

Mashallah

Injured New Zealand rugby star Michael Fatialofa could be out of intensive care next week as his feeling and movement is being restored, his wife says.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/118 ... MYr8N-L5qs

Flying Fijian Asaeli Tikoirotuma has been included in the Fijian Latui extended training squad for the 2020 Global Rapid Rugby season.


https://fijivillage.com/sport/Tikoirotu ... on-2s5kr9/

Police won the Coral Coast 7s tournament in Fiji this morning, an event which included international selections from as far afield as France and the US:

Cup Final: Police 17 - 14 Mango Bay
Plate Final: Kombat Uluinakau Babas 19 - 12 Redwing.
Bowl Final: Raiwasa Taveuni 19 - 10 Shangri-La's.
Shield Final: Sigatoka River 17 - 12 USA Falcons

Image

https://www.facebook.com/FijisCoralCoast7s/
https://fijivillage.com/sport/Police-su ... e--925krs/

Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby victorsra » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 14:52

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Edgar wrote:Probably something to do with the 67 nuclear bombs America exploded in the islands after WWII, leading to mass evacuations and rampant cancer among the returnees - so that they had to be evacuated again as recently as the seventies. The native, ethnic Micronesian population continues to live in abject squalor alongside a substantially more privileged military community. The bikini was named for the explosion, not the atoll. :(


See the youtube-video I posted above. 54k people are living there and they don't have enough space for a pitch (the evacuations might be a part of the space problem though).


Sport: Marshall Islands to host 2022 Micronesian Games https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... sian-games

First time they host the Micronesian Games, the region's multisports event. Maybe they'll build somehow a field?

Looking at Majuru with Google Maps you can see a softball field downtown and a baseball field in the far west, realy far from downtown. Closer ton the main urban area I only see space besides the airport...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 156
Joined: Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 06:54
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Hernan14 » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 16:18

victorsra wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Edgar wrote:Probably something to do with the 67 nuclear bombs America exploded in the islands after WWII, leading to mass evacuations and rampant cancer among the returnees - so that they had to be evacuated again as recently as the seventies. The native, ethnic Micronesian population continues to live in abject squalor alongside a substantially more privileged military community. The bikini was named for the explosion, not the atoll. :(


See the youtube-video I posted above. 54k people are living there and they don't have enough space for a pitch (the evacuations might be a part of the space problem though).


Sport: Marshall Islands to host 2022 Micronesian Games https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... sian-games

First time they host the Micronesian Games, the region's multisports event. Maybe they'll build somehow a field?

Looking at Majuru with Google Maps you can see a softball field downtown and a baseball field in the far west, realy far from downtown. Closer ton the main urban area I only see space besides the airport...


The sports in the Micronesia Games will be: Athletics, basketball, beach volleyball, fast-pitch softball, lawn tennis, Micronesian All-Around, spear fishing, swimming, table tennis, va’a canoe paddling, volleyball, weightlifting and wrestling

They will build a track that will also act as a coastal protection: https://marshallislandsjournal.com/game ... -launched/

I think it will be located here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/7%C2% ... ?hl=es-419

Yes, confirmed, there will be: "The new track field will stretch as far as five acres starting from Marshall Islands Club (MIC) toward the late Billy Sawej’s residence in Jenrok (heading north)."...The highlight is mine, the mention of Billy Sawej made me remember when I was a kid and someone asked how to go somewhere and we used someone's houses to indicate how to get the place... those old days :)

https://marshallislandsjournal.com/gree ... -facility/

And apparently football is practiced regularly, but especially in Kwajalein Atoll :geek:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesm/marshchamp.html
https://oceaniafootball.hpage.com/non-f ... lands.html

Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby victorsra » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 16:39

That Kwajalein field is inside USA military zone I believe: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kwaja ... 67.7351935

That's not where Marshalese people live https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein ... mographics They live in another island of the atoll: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ebeye ... 67.7373396

Well, makes sense why it is so important for soccer and rugby to have a multisports field in Majuru.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 156
Joined: Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 06:54
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Hernan14 » Sat, 18 Jan 2020, 20:24

victorsra wrote:That Kwajalein field is inside USA military zone I believe: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kwaja ... 67.7351935

That's not where Marshalese people live https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein ... mographics They live in another island of the atoll: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ebeye ... 67.7373396

Well, makes sense why it is so important for soccer and rugby to have a multisports field in Majuru.


"the only results that are known are from the small league based on the island of Kwajalein which is almost entirely made of the American Army staff based on the island"..."The local football field on Kwajalein which is used by US Army staff."..." The teams are mainly made of American military personnel"...All in the links...anyway, it's true, all they look like as navy seals ;)

Image

Image


I think, the marshallese people need and deserved some other more important things than a multisports field in Majuro: https://hellomarshallislands.weebly.com/poverty.html

Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 04:33

Hernan14 wrote:
victorsra wrote:That Kwajalein field is inside USA military zone I believe: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kwaja ... 67.7351935

That's not where Marshalese people live https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein ... mographics They live in another island of the atoll: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ebeye ... 67.7373396

Well, makes sense why it is so important for soccer and rugby to have a multisports field in Majuru.


"the only results that are known are from the small league based on the island of Kwajalein which is almost entirely made of the American Army staff based on the island"..."The local football field on Kwajalein which is used by US Army staff."..." The teams are mainly made of American military personnel"...All in the links...anyway, it's true, all they look like as navy seals ;)

Image

Image


I think, the marshallese people need and deserved some other more important things than a multisports field in Majuro: https://hellomarshallislands.weebly.com/poverty.html

Well, it is also a seawall at least...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 08:12

New story but a familiar issue for the Pacific Islands, who continued to be deprived of some of their best players at World Cups:

GENEVA — Rugby players from the South Pacific islands are being caught up in a tug-of-war because their European clubs place “undue pressure” on them not to play international matches, the chief executive of the global players’ union said on Wednesday.

Omar Hassanein, of International Rugby Players, said that the national team of Samoa had even been deprived of players at last year’s Rugby World Cup — a situation which would be unthinkable in the soccer equivalent.

World Rugby’s Regulation 9 dictates that players must be released by clubs for internationals, but it is not always cut and dried for professionals from outside the top tier of nations.

Clubs sometimes try to get around the rule by implicitly promising a bonus or contract if players skip international matches, while the out-of-contract players are even more vulnerable to pressure.

Story continues: https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn ... try-battle

Posts: 3211
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 10:07

Edgar wrote:New story but a familiar issue for the Pacific Islands, who continued to be deprived of some of their best players at World Cups:

GENEVA — Rugby players from the South Pacific islands are being caught up in a tug-of-war because their European clubs place “undue pressure” on them not to play international matches, the chief executive of the global players’ union said on Wednesday.

Omar Hassanein, of International Rugby Players, said that the national team of Samoa had even been deprived of players at last year’s Rugby World Cup — a situation which would be unthinkable in the soccer equivalent.

World Rugby’s Regulation 9 dictates that players must be released by clubs for internationals, but it is not always cut and dried for professionals from outside the top tier of nations.

Clubs sometimes try to get around the rule by implicitly promising a bonus or contract if players skip international matches, while the out-of-contract players are even more vulnerable to pressure.

Story continues: https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn ... try-battle


Why do they continue to announce such bullshit numbers
"Hassanein, who said that the three South Pacific nations provided 18 percent of all professional rugby players between them, said that clubs should be more involved in discussions around a global calendar."
I doesn't do the credibility of rugby any good. We all know that Samoa has the most foreign born players in their squad and if somebody accounts for 18 percent that's New Zealand.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Thu, 23 Jan 2020, 20:25

Not sure on the figures, to be honest, but it will certainly improve matters for Pacific Island-origin professionals when viable alternatives to Europe and Super Rugby become more commonplace. Japan is one, of course, while GRR could be another - provided it gets off the ground - and MLR is developing quickly. Hopefully we see the same with SLAR, and professionals from wherever are going to have more options.

Meanwhile, good news here :thumbup:

Worcester Warriors forward Michael Fatialofa has made "good progress" in his recovery from his serious neck injury and has been moved out of intensive care in hospital in London. https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/5 ... QskdUGb_IA

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Thu, 13 Feb 2020, 09:15

Fiji will take on the Wallabies on 18th July this year.

There are reports the Fiji Airways Flying Fijians test match against the Wallabies this year has been confirmed for July.

Foxsports reports that Rugby Australia will be holding a press conference this weekend to announce the good news.

The test match started off with just rumors, but Foxsports confirms that Rugby Australia has finalised all the details and will reveal the news later this weekend.

The Flying Fijians lost 39-21 to the Wallabies in a highly competitive match during the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Fiji who now has the services of a world-class coach, Van Cotter, will bring a new spin to Fijian rugby that will enable them to compete against Tier 1 nations.
https://fijivillage.com/sport/-Flying-F ... y--r29ks5/


Southland victors over Fijian visitors Nadroga Stallions

The Southland Invitational XV has run out 45-31 winners over Fijian team the Nadroga Stallions in the game played at Waimumu as part of the Southern Field Days on Thursday night.

The idea of a rugby fixture at Fred Booth Park at Waimumu was created when the Highlanders and Crusaders played two preseason games at the make shift rugby ground.

While the Southland Invitational XV game against the visiting domestic Fijian team was a lower key outing, compared to the bright lights of Super Rugby, the game was still well supported, including a good contingent of Fijian supporters.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/119491388 ... -stallions


Samoan 7s coach, Kiwi maestro Gordon Tietjens, rejects call to step down after recent run of poor form:

Manu Samoa Sevens coach, Sir Gordon Tietjens, has rejected suggestions that he should step down given the team's poor run of form during the H.S.B.C. Sevens Series.

In less than a year, the Manu Samoa Sevens has gone from aiming for fourth place on the World Rugby Sevens Series to aiming to merely stay alive in the competition. What's more, Samoa has yet to qualify for the Olympics, which remains a concern.

At the Samoa Rugby Union headquarters on Wednesday, Tietjens and the Manager of the Sevens team, Peter Poulos, fronted a press conference where the notion was put across if would consider stepping down.

https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/sport/58024

Vailima International Sevens Tournament

A team from Fiji called Achieve Your Impossible (AYI) are heavy favourites to win the Vailima International Sevens Tournament, and become the second Fijian team in a row to come over the Samoa and do so.

The Tabadamu club took the Tupua Fred Wetzell trophy back to Fiji with them in 2019.

But Achieve Your Impossible, coached by former star Isake Kotonibau, have recruited four players from that successful campaign.

Manu Lagai, Jone Vota, Joseva Talacolo and Glen Cakautini all picked up winners medals last year, and Cakautini tasted more success on the ACP Marist Stadium in July playing for Fiji's Pacific Games-winning squad.

https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/s ... OtWxqppVHw

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Fri, 14 Feb 2020, 09:15

The Wallabies' test against Fiji in July has been confirmed for Townsville, Queensland, a traditional rugby league territory:

As part of Rugby Australia’s attempt to spread and grow the game across the country, the Wallabies will play the Flying Fijians at the new Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville on July 18 in a one-off Test that follows the two-Test series against Ireland.

It’s the first time the Wallabies have taken a Test to North Queensland and Friday’s announcement followed last week’s news that the will play Argentina in Newcastle during The Rugby Championship.

Story continues here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wall ... a6105a439d


Marist 7s, Samoa:

More than halfway through day one of the Vailima Marist International Sevens, held at the A.C.P. Marist Stadium on Friday, tomorrow's finals are beginning to take shape.

Men’s

Vaiala pushed Achieve Your Impossible (A.Y.I.) Fiji all the way, but couldn’t quite overcome the visitors as they went down 14-12 in a heavyweight clash.
The local club played well, but A.Y.I. did just enough to second their second win in two matches, locking in a quarterfinal berth.

Former World Rugby Sevens Player of the Year Samisoni Viriviri opened the scoring after he was found by Glen Cakautini, who made the initial break.
Vaiala had their fair share of possession and territory but couldn’t get through the Fijian’s defence in the first half.

When Joseva Talacolo scored A.Y.I.’s second try soon after halftime, it looked as though Vaiala might not get any reward for their good effort.
But they bounced back to score through Ueta Avaotuna, and then Melani Matavao to draw within two points.

They had a chance to take the lead in the dying minutes too, but A.Y.I. held on for the win, which should see them finish at the top of Pool 4.
Earlier, Apia Maroons’ chances of repeating last year’s third-place finish took a major hit with their 14-0 loss to Linwood.

The team from Christchurch rushed up in defence early, forcing a five metre attacking scrum after catching Apia in the in-goal area.
They scored immediately through Faalele Iosua to take the lead.

Apia had all the ball, but knocked on four times while hot on attack, and Linwood were able to hold on for the win, meaning they will advance to the Cup quarterfinals with another win against Marist St Josephs.

Moamoa defeated Talavalu 28-7 to keep their hopes of a Cup quarterfinal alive.

The American Samoans took the lead, but Moamoa kicked on and ran in four straight tries to ensure they will finish at least third in Pool 1, depending on the matches to come between Lauli’i and Talavalu, and Tama Uli Salelologa and Moamoa.


https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/sport/58165

Update:

Men’s Cup Quarterfinals
Tama Uli Salelologa vs Vaiala
Apia vs Lupesiliva
Tepatasi vs Marist St Josephs
AYI Fiji vs Lauli’i Lions

Semifinals and finals to follow

Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby victorsra » Fri, 14 Feb 2020, 12:50

Townsville hosted 2003 RWC matches. Maybe this is the first test in 17 years there?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 5659
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 14 Feb 2020, 13:53

Correct. It will be the first ever Wallaby test in North Queensland.

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Sat, 15 Feb 2020, 09:44

Vaiala has done it :!:


They have defeated Apia, 12-5, to win Marist International Sevens at Lotopa.

Vaiala defeated the vaunted AYI Fiji 19-14 in extra time in their semifinal at the ACP Marist Stadium in Lotopa on Saturday afternoon.

Blackie have brought intensity to every one of their matches this weekend, and they started out against the favoured Fijians in the same manner.

Former Manu Samoa Malu Falaniko got the opening try of the game, muscling in under the posts after AYI had been pinged for hands in the ruck in their own 22.

The resulting kickoff didn’t go 10 metres though, and from the restart the Fijians kept the ball well, eventually scoring through Keponi Paul.

Emosi Mulevoro then gave Achieve Your Impossible the lead, fending his man and showing good speed to dot down on halftime.



https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/s ... _Lg4chFcD4

Posts: 726
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 09:53

the Pacific Island presence has been an increasing factor in New Zealand rugby for a few decades now and should be translating into a similarly prominent representation at coaching and administrative levels.

New Zealand Rugby is appointing a Pasifika engagement manager, who will be tasked with giving the country's Pacific Island community more of a voice in how the sport is run.

The role is the first of its kind for the governing body and partly came out of the Respect and Responsibility Review in 2017, which highlighted issues around player welfare and participation numbers in the game.

Head of Respect and Inclusion at NZR, Karen Skinner, said a dedicated role focused on the Pasifika rugby community was a significant step.

"A lot of people have said we should have had this a long time ago and it has been a long time coming but we're really excited to see this role finally established...

"A big part of this job will be to make sure that our Pasifika community in rugby has a really strong voice in our strategic planning going forward and so that's why we really wanted to make sure it was this year as well."

Story continues here: https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... nt-manager


Samoan coach to take over Japanese side:

Manu Samoa Coach, Vaeluagaomatagi Steve Jackson, has been appointed the head coach of Japanese side, Shimizu Blue Sharks, for 2020.
The appointment was confirmed in a press release issued by the Club.

The second-tier Top Challenge League side finished bottom of the table in the 2019-20 season, which concluded in January.
Vaeluagaomatagi said he is honoured by the appointment.

https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/s ... MoSqOTh2IY


Faleomavaega Vincent Fepulea’i will continue as the Chief Executive Officer of the Samoa Rugby Union (S.R.U.) for the next four years. https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/s ... StJFXwzkhM

Kiwi 7s continue to snap up Fijians:

Another player with links to Fiji has forced his way into the All Blacks 7s extended squad for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Jacob Ratumaitavuki Kneepkens who represented Fiji in the Pasifika Youth Rugby League Cup in 2017 now has the chance to impress New Zealand 7’s Coach, Clark Laidlaw to make it into the final team to the Olympics.

Five more players who have links to Fiji and have also featured predominantly for the All Blacks 7’s team over the last few years have also been named in the extended squad for the current World Rugby 7’s series leaders.

They are Vilimoni Koroi, Amanaki Nicole, Joe Ravouvou, Salesi Rayasi and Akuila Rokolisoa.

Top players like Kurt Baker, Dylan Collier, Scott Curry, Regan Ware, Joe Webber, Tim Mikkelson and Sione Molia are also part of New Zealand’s extended squad for the Tokyo Olympics.

https://fijivillage.com/sport/Another-p ... 7s-9k2r5s/


Nawaka 7s news: https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/seven ... YIEUgDQcik

Will postponement of the Hong Kong and Singapore 7s effect Olympic selections?

Gareth Baber has admitted the loss of the Hong Kong and Singapore legs of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series due to the threat of coronavirus will make it difficult to include the French-based pair of gold medal winner Josua Tuisova (Lyon) and Semi Radradra (Bordeaux) for Fiji’s Olympic Games title defence in Tokyo (July 27-Aug 1)

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/sevens-p ... eth-baber/

China Lions confirm on their Facebook page they are ready & roaring to go. According to the story linked below, the players are all BoP Kiwis anyway (unsurprisingly).

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby ... ghai-side/

& a Pacific Islands team has won the inaugural Oceania Outback 10s in Cloncurry, Queensland after a 46-all draw with Indigenous Australia in the final. The issue was apparently settled by a drinking game!

The first ever Oceania Outback Rugby tens carnival has ended in a tie and then a rather unusual way to decide a winner.

The final was played out between combined Australian Indigenous and New Zealand against Pacific Islands in a high scoring contest.

The match ended on a remarkable 46 all and instead of extra time it was decided a boat race would declare the victor.

Australian Indigenous coach John Doyle said it was a different way to find a winner.

"Pacific islands won the tie breaker, which was a boat race, a drinking game, haha." Doyle said.

Story continues here: https://www.northweststar.com.au/story/ ... ugby-tens/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests