Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Americas Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Americas Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 20 Dec 2018, 06:40

Sables4EVA wrote:Just a quick note so the thread can get back to being about rugby:

Italian people have the same regional accents as the English and my mother who is born and bred Italian but lived in an English country since she was a teenager (50+years) says Italian people struggle to understand her as she now has a very strong foreign accent to her Italian.

Same for my mother. She's lived in Australia for 35 years now which is longer than she lived in Ireland but every time we go back or a relative comes here there comment on how Aussie her accent is. It's not. At least to our ears but they all seem to think so.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 20 Dec 2018, 15:04

Same with my Aunt. She's from Belfast but after living here for as long as your mother has lived in Australia she's considered a Yank and with an American accent. I can definitely hear a difference between her and her siblings (who sound like Rory Best with a thicker accent) but she by no means sounds American.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Sony D » Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 15:45

Hy
are there any new signing of Brazilian Players to the Major League Rugby League besides Josh Reeves to Utah? I have counted a lot of Uruguayans and some Chilean Players...?? Or do you know any reason why not?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 18:59

None
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 04:13

Apparently the 2019 ARCh will be in Colombia again and the remaining teams have yet to be confirmed. According to ARN, the RAN teams will be the top 2 qualified so if that’s the case it would be Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago. I suppose I find it odd to be played in Colombia again but since they have a pretty strong union considering their size along with a decent stadium they may want to reward it again. Seems a bit unfair for the other countries but I’m not complaining.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... e-in-2019/

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Mon, 31 Dec 2018, 15:52

It was already decided since before the first tournament that the first two editions would be in Colombia. I saw it in some interview.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 18:45

Thread bump!

An M20 Americas Rugby Championship is planned for 2020.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 02:46

That’s great. We need more opportunities for our age grade players to come together for test rugby and challenge themselves

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 03:26

I've always wondered how effective u20 competitions are at this level, is it more worth it to focus locally? Don't get me wrong, this is a great initiative and these are great players but the u20 doesn't feel like a real pathway for our players and maybe just organizing as many people in local camps would be better worth the money. I wonder if the value could be spread better among more players.

Though after just saying that, I like that there is a u20 coming to the ARC as it opens up new competition for our u20 teams and I would definitely watch those games.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 03:36

Tobar wrote:I've always wondered how effective u20 competitions are at this level, is it more worth it to focus locally? Don't get me wrong, this is a great initiative and these are great players but the u20 doesn't feel like a real pathway for our players and maybe just organizing as many people in local camps would be better worth the money. I wonder if the value could be spread better among more players.

Though after just saying that, I like that there is a u20 coming to the ARC as it opens up new competition for our u20 teams and I would definitely watch those games.

For us, not very. We don't have the funding to send the u20s on a winter tour like Canada just did. They will be well prepared for qualifiers. Not sure how it works for SANZAAR countries but the 6N have the best U20 competition out there. 5 High quality games before you head into the JWC.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 04:38

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:I've always wondered how effective u20 competitions are at this level, is it more worth it to focus locally? Don't get me wrong, this is a great initiative and these are great players but the u20 doesn't feel like a real pathway for our players and maybe just organizing as many people in local camps would be better worth the money. I wonder if the value could be spread better among more players.

For us, not very. We don't have the funding to send the u20s on a winter tour like Canada just did. They will be well prepared for qualifiers. Not sure how it works for SANZAAR countries but the 6N have the best U20 competition out there. 5 High quality games before you head into the JWC.

We have a national championship in October where our U20s are selected. Then a bunch of camps until a few weeks before the JWC where we play NZ and one of the PI nations. Personally, I'd prefer a U20s Rugby Championship but that's what we've got.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 17:41

That's not to say Canada has the funding either, someone paid for it.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 13:44

We just defeated Argentina. Be sure it will effective both here and there.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 20:08

But do you think it would be better for Uruguay to primarily focus on South America or more specifically on the Southern Cone? Instead of having 1 u20 team they could have a whole camp done in part with Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc. You get more players out there and can have training sessions with certified coaches from the countries and then finish the camp with some matches.

I'm not opposed to an ARC u20, in fact I think it adds something to it. Just figure casting a wide net like this would be more cost effective and beneficial for the greatest amount of players.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 20:43

What one could question is: why will Brazil send a U20s team to North America if we barely have club competitions: Won't solve our problems.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 22:04

An ARC u20 has to be the next thing for Men's rugby in this Hemisphere. We can't really talk about women because most nations in Americas Rugby are dormant in XVs. Teams are not prepared for JWT qualifiers let alone for the JWT itself, and should a team from the Americas make it out to the JWC they get smashed because they don't have an matches to warm up for.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 22:41

You mean all South American nations are dormant in Women's 15s...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 03:15

victorsra wrote:You mean all South American nations are dormant in Women's 15s...

Outside of Canada and the US there is no Women XVs program that competes in Women XVs in RAN. RAN Women's Championships was 10s.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 07:00

Yes. And zero work in South America too. Well, Colombia was trying something, but still in early stages.

BTW, I am not opposed to the ARC U20s. I am only saying Brazil's situation is embarassing.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 22:41

Offer more competition to the U 20 team would be good news for Chile. There are many good young players who quit Rugby after finishing school because they have not many possibilities in their clubs. Progressing through the clubs structure is no easy for 18 or 19 years old players. A national team playing several times a year against better teams (at least 4 of them) would require a permanent squad and a lot more yougsters involved(than the current situation). It could also open possibilities for professional carreers abroad.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 15:31

Don't Chilean clubs have under-23 or Intermedia teams?

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sun, 21 Apr 2019, 14:37

The best 16 teams have INTERMEDIA but not restricted to U 23 players. Some former first team players are there also. In any case the 19 or 20 years old do not have many Rugby possibilities at a time they face other demanding challenges.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 01:26

Why can't they play in their clubs? That is the problem, if they can't play in a chilean club in the chilean tournament how are they going to play, for example, vs Pumitas? And for what?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 14:14

In this upcoming break Chile is playing Romania.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 03:48

I’d say part of the problem historically is that u20 as a concept and the overall schedule doesn’t align with the US’s college-focused pathway.

A ton of players were never available and others were still integrating into college programs as freshman / sophomores. Not to mention many of our best players only had a couple years experience at 19 or 20.

Creating better structure to encourage participation along with more experienced players (and more not playing in college) should help.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum