Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Americas Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Americas Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 23:37

I read a book on the history of the English language. The reason the US does things differently in terms of measurements and spelling stems from every other English speaking country is down to when they broke away from Britain. As something of a last F-U to the Brits they started spelling their words differently. Hence why we spell it 'colour' and they spell it 'color'.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 12:21

I hope the 4th spot of the Challenge is confirmed by a playoffs between North and South, giving the opportunity for Peru (or Venezuela, if they are able to travel) to contest the spot.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 15:10

I think Canada uses everything. Every time these arguments come up I'm always mystified because I never knew any way as "right" or "wrong" . Dates are ambiguous sometimes, that's just part of life, and I've never once tried to determine the home team from who's listed first in a schedule or box score.

Although using X team @ Y team is clear, I never try to follow any convention when using VS.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 15:33

thatrugbyguy wrote:I read a book on the history of the English language. The reason the US does things differently in terms of measurements and spelling stems from every other English speaking country is down to when they broke away from Britain. As something of a last F-U to the Brits they started spelling their words differently. Hence why we spell it 'colour' and they spell it 'color'.

The 'u's in your words are French leftovers.

Imperial got us to the Moon, ain't nobody else gotten there...yeah it crashed a rover on Mars, but have you been to the Moon?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 17:41

TheStroBro wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I read a book on the history of the English language. The reason the US does things differently in terms of measurements and spelling stems from every other English speaking country is down to when they broke away from Britain. As something of a last F-U to the Brits they started spelling their words differently. Hence why we spell it 'colour' and they spell it 'color'.

Imperial got us to the Moon, ain't nobody else gotten there...yeah it crashed a rover on Mars, but have you been to the Moon?

Didn’t NASA use metric?

With regard to the Us and other shortenings, wasn’t it to save money onnadverts/printing presses?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 18:19

TheStroBro wrote:

You did went to the Moon but also bred Flat-Earthers at home :lol:
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 19:18

Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Didn’t NASA use metric?

With regard to the Us and other shortenings, wasn’t it to save money onnadverts/printing presses?

NASA switched to the dual units system in 1990. What crashed the rover on Mars was a contractor using Metric units and failed to convert the numbers that were given in Imperial units. Pre 1990 NASA only used imperial.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 20:35

Thatrugbyguy wrote:

I read a book on the history of the English language. The reason the US does things differently in terms of measurements and spelling stems from every other English speaking country is down to when they broke away from Britain. As something of a last F-U to the Brits they started spelling their words differently. Hence why we spell it 'colour' and they spell it 'color'.

Noah Webster is said to have been the man responsible, choosing phonetic spellings over orthodox (British) versions when he put together the standard American-English dictionary in the 19th century. But it probably had a lot more to do with the fact most people in the US at the time were not native English-speakers, and thus a more phonetic method of spelling was applied, while those who did speak it had also developed their own idiosyncrasies. In fact, American-English had diverged quite some way before the invention of film and TV, which helped create a common understanding as English became a global language, though it is the US version which now has by far the bigger influence.

Meanwhile, US South has named its squad for two games against Old Glory Capital Selects on Saturday. Not sure if that means two games on the same day, but they certainly have enough players if it does.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 20:47

Interesting that Matt Hughston is playing there - I wouldn't be surprised if he had left RUNY for DC since that's much closer to his native Charlotte. Or he was just invited because of his connections to USA Rugby South.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 23:37

Tobar wrote:Interesting that Matt Hughston is playing there - I wouldn't be surprised if he had left RUNY for DC since that's much closer to his native Charlotte. Or he was just invited because of his connections to USA Rugby South.

Matt Hughston turn out for USA South pretty often. The USA South team this last summer had Sullivan and Billy Stewart from NOLA on it.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 07:36

TheStroBro wrote:
Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Didn’t NASA use metric?

NASA switched to the dual units system in 1990. What crashed the rover on Mars was a contractor using Metric units and failed to convert the numbers that were given in Imperial units. Pre 1990 NASA only used imperial.

NASA did use metric as all of the data was stored in metric, but displayed in imperial units. The whole landing operation was in metric. The mastermind behind the whole thing, Wernher von Braun, off course didn't bother to work with a medieval measurement in all of his calculations as well.

About the °F: you are simply used to it. Celsius provides you with a simple information of measurements you basically see every day. The ice in your drink melts => above 0°C. The water boils => 100°C. Easy to figure out the rest and directly have a feeling what a temperature actually means. Even kindergarten kids understand, that a Minus means ice and snow.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 11:25

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum