ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 06:12

Thanks Thomas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 01:53

Jamaica qualified to the World Cup defeating USA 16-10, after having beaten Canada 38-8 (or with a similar result)
Quite surprising to me; I know that league has found a good hotbed in Toronto and I thought that league in Jamaica was just as marginally played as union, but I was probably wrong. Usa will have a second chance on the repechage pool, while Canada and Chile are out

In Europe, France is continental champion and qualified to the World Cup together with Wales.
Ireland and Scotland go to the repechage phase together with Italy, Russia, Spain and one between Greece and Norway

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 08:48

Jamaica was made out of guys living in the UK

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 10:06

Oh, yes, I hadn't thought to this hypothesis

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 08:05

I guess all it takes is enough players playing in Australia or England to cobble a team together to qualify to the RLWC. Jamaica have only ever play 20 international matches.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 09:07

thatrugbyguy wrote:I guess all it takes is enough players playing in Australia or England to cobble a team together to qualify to the RLWC. Jamaica have only ever play 20 international matches.

As sad as it sounds, that's the case. I think the biggest shame was the US team. Qualified on their own just to be replaced by Ozzies and Poms in the World Cup.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 11:22

What bugs me is there seems to be no regulations involved with RL internationally, it's literally if you can put a team together you're eligible to qualify for the world cup. No standards in terms of domestic competition or player base, no criteria needed to be able to gain membership, no concrete rules when it comes to player eligibility, literally anyone can just throw their hat into the ring. I know the sport is desperate for it's world cup to be taken seriously, but everything they do is short term thinking with no structure in place to build off.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 14:49

thatrugbyguy wrote:What bugs me is there seems to be no regulations involved with RL internationally, it's literally if you can put a team together you're eligible to qualify for the world cup. No standards in terms of domestic competition or player base, no criteria needed to be able to gain membership, no concrete rules when it comes to player eligibility, literally anyone can just throw their hat into the ring. I know the sport is desperate for it's world cup to be taken seriously, but everything they do is short term thinking with no structure in place to build off.

The funny thing is that they're taking spots away from countries where they actually have a grassroots game. Serbia keeps missing out on the RLWC despite them having 15 or so active clubs while Lebanon or Scotland keep making it because they have a bunch of Aussies playingfor them.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 17:10

Let's remember how France lost to Lebanon at the World Cup...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 21:23

iul wrote:The funny thing is that they're taking spots away from countries where they actually have a grassroots game. Serbia keeps missing out on the RLWC despite them having 15 or so active clubs while Lebanon or Scotland keep making it because they have a bunch of Aussies playingfor them.

Well that's the thing, there are countries who are putting the work in, with little to no help from the international federation, who suddenly get left out in the cold when a bunch of professional players decide they want to play at the world cup, many of whom have never stepped into the country they are supposedly playing for. Say what you will about the size of RL in America, but there's been a domestic competition there for over 15 years now and a lot of work has been done to try and grow the game with absolutely no help from anyone else, only to now be supplanted by a nation that has the benefit of a bunch of heritage professional players who only wear the national jersey occasionally.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 13:05

thatrugbyguy wrote:
iul wrote:The funny thing is that they're taking spots away from countries where they actually have a grassroots game. Serbia keeps missing out on the RLWC despite them having 15 or so active clubs while Lebanon or Scotland keep making it because they have a bunch of Aussies playingfor them.

Well that's the thing, there are countries who are putting the work in, with little to no help from the international federation, who suddenly get left out in the cold when a bunch of professional players decide they want to play at the world cup, many of whom have never stepped into the country they are supposedly playing for. Say what you will about the size of RL in America, but there's been a domestic competition there for over 15 years now and a lot of work has been done to try and grow the game with absolutely no help from anyone else, only to now be supplanted by a nation that has the benefit of a bunch of heritage professional players who only wear the national jersey occasionally.

Now I am not sure if I remember that right, but didn't "USA" play with only Ozzies at the last RLWC as well, after the regular players qualified for it?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Other subjects