Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 18 May 2018, 10:12

Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
So, it depends on what each facility costs to operate. Starfire is past current maximum capacity, Zions was almost at max this week. The cheapest venue is probably Shaw. The most expensive is SD.

Based on current salary cap some teams will probably break even. Others will be in the hole on their investment. But part of the financial stress tests out there was each team needed to meet minimum capital investments so that they could fund at a loss until year 5.

Yeah, somewhere like Starfire I doubt is very expensive at all, so I wouldn't be surprised to see SS break even, Utah due to their one game pre-season with the 10,000 crowd should break even because of that (assuming they charged, can anyone confirm?), and Houston's long pre-season helps spread the coaching costs out, so they may be much less in the red.

It's good to hear that that is the case, fingers crossed that they all break-even sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have an inkling what Seattle are going to do for next season? Is there a way to up capacity to near 7.5k? Similarly what are Utah's options?

They charged. I think around 7000 of the 9000+ they got through the gates were paid.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Fri, 18 May 2018, 10:35

Blurandski wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Costs will surely go down for teams who will have their own stadiums next year wouldn't they? Houston and Nola are both getting purpose built facilities are they not?

Depends how much they're paying currently, stadiums aren't cheap to staff and maintain, the main advantage is that match day revenue should go up, with the teams not having to give venues large cuts of tickets and f&b (at least that is how stadium rental in the UK works, London Irish pay £3 per person in attendance, and get no f&b & pay £300,000 a season). I'd suspect that for Houston & NOLA overall costs will rise slightly, but match day incomes will rise by a significant amount more, but it depends on the deals currently agreed.

The NOLA facility is their own, being developed in conjunction with a HS that I believe the President/Owner is an alumni of. It has simply been put together way too quickly to look good this season, and I believe significant improvements will be made between the end of this season and the start of next.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 18 May 2018, 10:43

sammo wrote:
Blurandski wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Costs will surely go down for teams who will have their own stadiums next year wouldn't they? Houston and Nola are both getting purpose built facilities are they not?

Depends how much they're paying currently, stadiums aren't cheap to staff and maintain, the main advantage is that match day revenue should go up, with the teams not having to give venues large cuts of tickets and f&b (at least that is how stadium rental in the UK works, London Irish pay £3 per person in attendance, and get no f&b & pay £300,000 a season). I'd suspect that for Houston & NOLA overall costs will rise slightly, but match day incomes will rise by a significant amount more, but it depends on the deals currently agreed.

The NOLA facility is their own, being developed in conjunction with a HS that I believe the President/Owner is an alumni of. It has simply been put together way too quickly to look good this season, and I believe significant improvements will be made between the end of this season and the start of next.

Okay good to hear, that may be a very savvy deal, as they may be able to get all their match day income, while only paying for half of maintenance and building costs. At least that's how I'd set it up, with both sides retaining their own income, while paying 50/50 maintenance, or maintenance according to total use.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 18 May 2018, 15:01

Blurandski wrote:
Yeah, somewhere like Starfire I doubt is very expensive at all, so I wouldn't be surprised to see SS break even, Utah due to their one game pre-season with the 10,000 crowd should break even because of that (assuming they charged, can anyone confirm?), and Houston's long pre-season helps spread the coaching costs out, so they may be much less in the red.

It's good to hear that that is the case, fingers crossed that they all break-even sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have an inkling what Seattle are going to do for next season? Is there a way to up capacity to near 7.5k? Similarly what are Utah's options?

Starfire with careful planning can add 3500 seats of temporary seating according the only WR Certified site approver employed by USAR. I've mentioned this on reddit a few times. I don't know if Seawolves will go straight to that though. Creating a certain level of scarcity is important for them since they're selling out now.

Utah issued 1500 complimentary tickets for their pre-season opener. But I doubt their rent is crazy. They may have to play some matches at Rio Tinto again though next year.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 18 May 2018, 18:17

TheStroBro wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

Starfire with careful planning can add 3500 seats of temporary seating according the only WR Certified site approver employed by USAR. I've mentioned this on reddit a few times. I don't know if Seawolves will go straight to that though. Creating a certain level of scarcity is important for them since they're selling out now.

Utah issued 1500 complimentary tickets for their pre-season opener. But I doubt their rent is crazy. They may have to play some matches at Rio Tinto again though next year.

Yeah scarcity is a very underrated tool in boosting attendances. It all depends on how much lead time there needs to be for expansion. If I were them I’d increase it by 1,000 for next season (considering that it will be a longer season), with the groundworks in place at the right hand side (from camera) to add in extra bleachers if required.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 18 May 2018, 19:14

Also worth remembering that professional sports franchises do not really need to be highly profitable. They need to seem stable and breakeven with growing awareness interest. They need to then invest and own their own assets like the stadium.

Brand value will grow. Look at major US sports teams, none turn particularly significant profits but can have multi-billion dollar valuations. It becomes a status asset that has value because others see it has value and its not necessarily just what is cashflows.

I mean we are not there with MLR, but my point is, no one should be worried about more than breaking even and covering investments in things like stadiums. Anything more is gravy.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 18 May 2018, 19:44

Important to take into account the fact that Houston's stadium next year will likely be just bleachers (using the term loosely, it could be a nice grandstand like Seattle) and the field. The only upkeep they really have to have is someone to maintain the grass and clean up after the games. Since it will be built at the Houston Sports Complex, then I imagine that they will just use the same service that maintain the park.

As for the stadium itself, it should still look like the original concept design that was released by the Strikers months ago here. If I'm not mistaken, it should be just to the right of the the fields in this picture which means the parking lot in the first picture I posted will be next to the existing fields. If the plan is to have 3500 seats for year one, then it will likely just be the field with one side of the stands, basically the same as Starfire.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 18 May 2018, 23:09

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum