Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Wed, 28 Nov 2018, 17:44

4N wrote:
ShyLockNo5 wrote:Any chance of a Springbok upset, like Japan in Brighton 2015?

No. More likely they lose to Namibia than beat South Africa.

100% agree. Slim chance that they beat Italy, decent chance at Namibia. I really wish Italy and Namibia's schedules were reversed.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 14:45

Had a bit of a realisation... I think this is the first time Canada's mens 15s team has ever won a tournament. They never won PARA, the Churchill Cup, the ARC, or the PNC. Am I forgetting other tournaments?

Postby 4N » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 14:50

They won the old Pacific Rim Cup a few times. That was 20 years ago though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 15:11

4N wrote:They won the old Pacific Rim Cup a few times. That was 20 years ago though.

Huh, I've somehow never heard of this tournament. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_R ... ampionship

That also lead me to the old Super Cup, which we apparently won in 2005: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Cup_(rugby_union)#2005

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 16:52

To bring it back a bit, I think the thing with Barkwill is just it hurts seeing our rivals developing Hookers while we run out a nearly 40 year old with sceptical cardio and continuous brain farts. Meanwhile the USA has a powerhouse in Joe Taufete’e, Uruguay has Germàn Kessler, and even Brazil have had some young strong options in Yan Rossetti and Wilton Rebolo. Hopefully the Arrows can help someone reach the next level. They do have a quality prospect in AJ Quattrin who I’m excited to see develop. And maybe a longer season with NOLA will fix whatever is “wrong” with Eric Howard.

Speaking of pro players, we really need to see any player in contention for the World Cup roster playing rugby this year. The centralized crap doesn’t work if they’re not playing, even if only CDI Premier. Though ideally it should be up to at least MLR level. Gordon McRorie and Ray Barkwill in particular as the coaches view them as our starters in such key positions. Blevins could also probably start for a few teams though I’d be happy seeing him left at home next fall.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 16:57

Buffalo wrote:To bring it back a bit, I think the thing with Barkwill is just it hurts seeing our rivals developing Hookers while we run out a nearly 40 year old with sceptical cardio and continuous brain farts. Meanwhile the USA has a powerhouse in Joe Taufete’e, Uruguay has Germàn Kessler, and even Brazil have had some young strong options in Yan Rossetti and Wilton Rebolo. Hopefully the Arrows can help someone reach the next level. They do have a quality prospect in AJ Quattrin who I’m excited to see develop. And maybe a longer season with NOLA will fix whatever is “wrong” with Eric Howard.

Speaking of pro players, we really need to see any player in contention for the World Cup roster playing rugby this year. The centralized crap doesn’t work if they’re not playing, even if only CDI Premier. Though ideally it should be up to at least MLR level. Gordon McRorie and Ray Barkwill in particular as the coaches view them as our starters in such key positions. Blevins could also probably start for a few teams though I’d be happy seeing him left at home next fall.

There is where the mess with the Vancouver MLR bid really hurts us. If those two groups could have come to an agreement and given us another MLR franchise we would been looking decent for developing and maintaining our player depth.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 17:09

Buffalo wrote:

I still think O'leery is hurt. He wasn't listed for Nottingham last week when he should have been available and he is not listed again this week. He had been starting every week for Nottingham until the Nov. window so something has to be up. I still think that he is our first choice fly half and a much better option than McRorie. I see McRorie as a utility player off the bench who can both flyhallf and scrumhalf and is a safe option at both. This allows us an extra forward on the bench.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 17:10

Canadaman wrote:
Buffalo wrote:To bring it back a bit, I think the thing with Barkwill is just it hurts seeing our rivals developing Hookers while we run out a nearly 40 year old with sceptical cardio and continuous brain farts. Meanwhile the USA has a powerhouse in Joe Taufete’e, Uruguay has Germàn Kessler, and even Brazil have had some young strong options in Yan Rossetti and Wilton Rebolo. Hopefully the Arrows can help someone reach the next level. They do have a quality prospect in AJ Quattrin who I’m excited to see develop. And maybe a longer season with NOLA will fix whatever is “wrong” with Eric Howard.

There is where the mess with the Vancouver MLR bid really hurts us. If those two groups could have come to an agreement and given us another MLR franchise we would been looking decent for developing and maintaining our player depth.
Do we know that the Vancouver bid is dead?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 17:40

rusty_lock wrote:
Canadaman wrote:

Do we know that the Vancouver bid is dead?

Well, if they want to be fast tracked into MLR, they need to get their act together. From what I gather they have about 1 more year to do it. If they are not doing what the Arrows did this year (playing exhibition games, showing that they are organized off the pitch in 2019) they will lose their spot to be fast tracked for 2020.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 17:41

rusty_lock wrote:
Buffalo wrote:

I still think O'leery is hurt. He wasn't listed for Nottingham last week when he should have been available and he is not listed again this week. He had been starting every week for Nottingham until the Nov. window so something has to be up. I still think that he is our first choice fly half and a much better option than McRorie. I see McRorie as a utility player off the bench who can both flyhallf and scrumhalf and is a safe option at both. This allows us an extra forward on the bench.

Never heard that he was injured but would explain some things I guess. I have heard that him and Jones don't quite see eye to eye. He was playing very well for Nottingham so not being selected now could point to an injury. I was not surprised that he didn't start for us in November but was surprised that he was never on the bench.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 08 Dec 2018, 21:14

Interesting interview with Shane O'Leary.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYOLOgLQxX?t=1744

He makes no mention of injury keeping him out of the Canada lineup during Nov. but he speaks glowingly about his experience and talks about starting at next years RWC. He goes strait back into the line up for Nottingham tomorrow so he seems to be ready to play. I' really think he offers a lot more than McRorie at flyhalf.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 01:15

rusty_lock wrote:Interesting interview with Shane O'Leary.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYOLOgLQxX?t=1744

He makes no mention of injury keeping him out of the Canada lineup during Nov. but he speaks glowingly about his experience and talks about starting at next years RWC. He goes strait back into the line up for Nottingham tomorrow so he seems to be ready to play. I' really think he offers a lot more than McRorie at flyhalf.

I prefer McRorie at 9. I thought Mack was more settled in his play recently, but I’m open to options at the position.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 04:55

One positive I thought of the entire repechage is Canada never lost their composure for long stretches, even when negative things happened the team didn't implode as it had been doing recently.

America's Rugby News had a fantastic piece on most of the players in the mix for RWC roster spots.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... er-4-2018/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 14:01

LittleGuy wrote:One positive I thought of the entire repechage is Canada never lost their composure for long stretches, even when negative things happened the team didn't implode as it had been doing recently.

America's Rugby News had a fantastic piece on most of the players in the mix for RWC roster spots.

Not a bad write up. No mention of the young kid who has been playing for Wolfpack and Westshore in the back row. He should be a priority I would think.

I’m not sure that Canada should take many players who will be too old come 2023. Everything now has to be done with some long term vision.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 18:57

Was_a_Kat wrote:
LittleGuy wrote:One positive I thought of the entire repechage is Canada never lost their composure for long stretches, even when negative things happened the team didn't implode as it had been doing recently.

Not a bad write up. No mention of the young kid who has been playing for Wolfpack and Westshore in the back row. He should be a priority I would think.

I’m not sure that Canada should take many players who will be too old come 2023. Everything now has to be done with some long term vision.

Not sure how Quinn Ngawati is playing for the National U18 7's team as he is 19, turned 19 in June? Age grade cut offs state that you cant turn a certain age before Dec 31 of the current year. So he shouldn't be allowed.......

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 04:11

Evan Olmstead has been brought into the blues camp as injury cover. He hasn’t made the team yet but this is a positive step for the big second rower.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum