Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Canadian rugby

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby GentsRugger » Thu, 17 May 2018, 00:00

Canada Selects

1. Noah Barker – James Bay AA/BC Bears (Courtenay, BC)
2. Martial Lagain – Sherbrooke Abenakis/Atlantic Rock) Saint-Jean-de-Marsacq, France
3. Cole Keith – James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock (Sussex, NB)
4. Paul Ciulini – Aurora Barbarians/Ontario Blues (Vaughan, ON)
5. Conor Keys – UVIC Vikes/Atlantic Rock (Stittsville, ON)
6. Dustin Dobravsky – Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears (Hanover, Germany)
7. Lucas Rumball – Captain, Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
8. Luke Campbell – James Bay AA/BC Bears (Victoria, BC)
9. Andrew Ferguson – Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
10. Robbie Povey – Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack (Northampton, UK)
11. Kainoa Lloyd – Mississauga Blues/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
12. Guiseppe du Toit – UVIC Vikes/BC Bears (Maple Ridge, BC)
13. Doug Fraser – Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears (Ladysmith, BC)
14. Cole Davis – Calgary Saints/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
15. Pat Parfrey – Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock (St. John’s, NL)
16. Steven Ng – James Bay AA (Ottawa, ON)
17. Liam Murray – James Bay AA (Langley, BC)
18. Ryan Kotlewski – Westshore RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
19. Grant Crowell – Calgary Rams/Prairie Wolf Pack (Wolfville, NS)
20. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC
21. Jorden Sandover-Best – UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears (Abbotsford, BC)
22. Gordon McRorie – Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
23. Josh Thiel – Abbotsford RFC (Abbotsford, BC)

Ontario Arrows

1. Rob Brouwer
2. Alex Post
3. Mike Smith
4. Mike Sheppard (Captain)
5. Josh Van Horne
6. Marcello Wainwright
7. Peter Milazzo
8. Kolby Francis
9. Alex Gliksten
10. Will Kelly
11. Aaron Mclelland
12. Jamie Leveridge
13. Jon West
14. John Sheridan
15. Shawn Windsor
16. Cam Sandison
17. Pat Lynott
18. Clint Lemkus
19. Tom Van Horne
20. Travis Larsen
21. Mario van der Westhuizen
22. Mitch Richardson
23. Kyle Lagasca

I'm kind of dissapointed the Arrows didn't get to keep some of their internationals for this match. Instead they're playing for the selects. It also sucks that Quattrin is still injured. I really wanted to see him put his hand up for selection. Either way it should be a good time. I'll be there friday night, I'm taking my little cousin who is in grade 9 and just started playing rugby.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 17 May 2018, 11:56

I gotta say, I'm super pumped for this game.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 17 May 2018, 14:46

grande wrote:RC now begging for money on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFEaU8civJc

Good news: It looks like Arrows vs Canada Selects will be live streamed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbpfA7I2PrQ

Just stating the facts, no begging

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 18 May 2018, 23:09

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 18 May 2018, 23:54

grande wrote:Canada vs Arrows live stream: https://www.facebook.com/OntarioArrows/ ... ule_viewer

The play is subpar, the commentary is absolutely dreadful and the ref is playing too much of a factor for me. The fact this is the best we can supposedly muster domestically makes me sad.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 19 May 2018, 00:14

Everything seems to be moving in slow motion.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 19 May 2018, 00:18

Lineout is shambolic

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 19 May 2018, 00:37

Buffalo wrote:
grande wrote:Canada vs Arrows live stream: https://www.facebook.com/OntarioArrows/ ... ule_viewer

The play is subpar, the commentary is absolutely dreadful and the ref is playing too much of a factor for me. The fact this is the best we can supposedly muster domestically makes me sad.

I'd take both of these lads over Dallen Stanford.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Sat, 19 May 2018, 00:59

Buffalo wrote:

:thumbup:

Skills under pressure left much to be desired and would be shown up against a better team (for both). The man who set up the last try had to take the ball standing still because the ball was passed to where he was, not where he was going to be. Defender gave him a freebie, though, in not coming up fast at all. Then Lloyd powers over his opposition far too easily (but well taken, him).

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 01:21

TheStroBro wrote:
Buffalo wrote:

I'd take both of these lads over Dallen Stanford.

Hmm...usually I'd agree but at least Dallen expresses some enthusiasm in his broadcasts. These two just drone on like they were giving a tour of a library.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:34

Crowd sounded enthusiastic.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:41

thatrugbyguy wrote:Crowd sounded enthusiastic.

The stand was apparently very full. Which would be interesting to see as it holds 3000.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 19 May 2018, 05:53

If they really did get 2,500+ then it’s time for them to pull the trigger and buy into MLR. Giving games context should help with increasing the crowd as well.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 11:58

thatrugbyguy wrote:Crowd sounded enthusiastic.

Being there in person it definitely was. I was wondering how the crowd would be as it's kind of weird to be cheering against the national team but the crowd was very much pro arrows. It was a great enviroment to take in some rugby. Pitch is a little small though which I think prevented more open attacking rugby. Unless they find another venue I think it'll have to do for now. I'll definitely be going to all their home games if they're in the MLR next year.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:41

I'm still not certain they are going to be in MLR next season. The latest comments from the investors didn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

The group behind the Arrows seems typical of Canadian business, i.e. conservative and I'm skeptical whether they have the money to make a go of it off the bat.

In other words, they don't have a David Argyle that can drop millions.
Last edited by Canadian_Rugger on Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:53

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I'm still not certain they are going to be in MLR next season. The latest comments from the investors didn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

Given that according to reddit, 6/7 teams are likely to break even, if the Canadians don't make the jump they were never serious in the first place.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:57

Blurandski wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:I'm still not certain they are going to be in MLR next season. The latest comments from the investors didn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

Given that according to reddit, 6/7 teams are likely to break even, if the Canadians don't make the jump they were never serious in the first place.

Now is also the time to get in as it's only going to get more expensive to join the league.

I edited my post above and added that I'm uncertain whether they have the capital to have a go at it. From what it seems, they don't want to bankroll the team if it is a money losing venture. Rugby in Canada needs to find a few sugar daddy"s that are willing to bank roll the professional side of the sport.

League has found one amd I should be able to watch Super League in Canada next season if all goes to plan. I'm watching Toulouse Olympique vs Toronto Wolfpack as we speak.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:59

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

Now is also the time to get in as it's only going to get more expensive to join the league.

I edited my post above and added that I'm uncertain whether they have the capital to have a go at it. Rugby in Canada needs to find a few sugar daddy"s that are willing to bank roll the professional side of the sport.

League has found one amd I shouls be able to watch Super League in Canada next season if all goes to plan. I'm watching Toulouse Olympique vs Toronto Wolfpack as we speak.

TheStroBro, who seems to be fairly well placed has confirmed that funding is not an issue. I would be very surprised if they are not playing MLR next season.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:58

Any Canadians who can tell me about the prospect of a franchise in St. John's? I understand rugby is fairly popular in Newfoundland.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 19 May 2018, 15:34

qwerty wrote:Any Canadians who can tell me about the prospect of a franchise in St. John's? I understand rugby is fairly popular in Newfoundland.

Doubtful; If one arrived, it'd be well supported, most likely, but just due to the population size, I'd say it's unlikely. The city has just over 100k people, and the entire region has about double that... Pretty tiny, all things considered.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sat, 19 May 2018, 16:58

Why would you even invest money for this season if you didn't want to join a pro league? That has to be the only objective. You can't have a pro team that isn't in a league.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 18:01

The reason to invest was to find out if it was economically feasible at this point in time.

My point is, listening to Bill Webb, he seems unsure whether it is feasible at this point and time. In other words, not prepared to take a massive loss building the brand. This seems to be the difference between the Arrows and TWP. David Argyle doesn't really seem to care and has signalled clear intent with the TWP. Latest signing confirms that:

https://www.zerotackle.com/reports-ricky-leutele-to-join-toronto-wolfpack-in-2019-33186/

2-year $1 million dollar contract. That's NRL level money.

My bet is the Arrows don't join MLR next season and we need to wait a few more years for professional rugby union in Ontario.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 19 May 2018, 18:03

marvinparsons wrote:Why would you even invest money for this season if you didn't want to join a pro league? That has to be the only objective. You can't have a pro team that isn't in a league.

They were gauging interest, but if the crowds that they ended up getting were not good enough for them, then they weren't serious in the first place, for it looks like the teams that made a major effort to set up their brand will actually make a profit this year. I reckon that they'll take the leap.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 19 May 2018, 18:09

marvinparsons wrote:Why would you even invest money for this season if you didn't want to join a pro league? That has to be the only objective. You can't have a pro team that isn't in a league.

When I last spoke with Mark Winokur they had already done several feasability studies. Their first proof of concept was the match against the Merlins in the fall. Webb felt comfortable moving forward with a full exhibition season. Their business model has several triggers that they had to meet to give the investment group what they wanted. I'll be arranging some time to speak with Bill Webb and Mark Winokur again when they've completed this longer trial. When they played Utah they were pretty close to where they wanted to be. However, he stated to me that their decision window has always been in June. Financing is in place, Partnerships and Sponsorships as well. Money isn't the issue for them.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 18:33

TheStroBro wrote:

When I last spoke with Mark Winokur they had already done several feasability studies. Their first proof of concept was the match against the Merlins in the fall. Webb felt comfortable moving forward with a full exhibition season. Their business model has several triggers that they had to meet to give the investment group what they wanted. I'll be arranging some time to speak with Bill Webb and Mark Winokur again when they've completed this longer trial. When they played Utah they were pretty close to where they wanted to be. However, he stated to me that their decision window has always been in June. Financing is in place, Partnerships and Sponsorships as well. Money isn't the issue for them.

The big kicker will be if they can compete with TWP because they will need to. I'm a little worried because I feel that Rugby Canada has neglected the Ontario market at its own peril. I'm not talking about the amateur game either. As far as I'm concerned, the popularity of the amateur game is completely irrelevant to how successful a professional sports team will be in Toronto.

TWP have money, they have an extremely wealthy backer and they have made clear signals of intent that they will be playing in the top flight next season. If they are playing the likes of St Helens, Wigan, Catalans Dragons, Leeds and Toulouse next season in TO, I'm uncertain there is room in the market for another team.

I say this having went to the most recent TWP game at Fletchers, lots of Union people there but a tonne of casuals who don't know the sport but like it a lot. I've never seen a lot of casuals at any Rugby Union match in this country, even test matches.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum