Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 16:53

Hope it works out for him. He got himself into a bit of a strange situation.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 18:21

therugbycoach wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
Blurandski wrote:League is a very underrated training exercise, in that it isolates the basic elements of rugby (i.e. catching, passing, tackling), and if you get players playing it then their fundamentals should improve a lot faster than by getting them playing rugby games in training. Hence it's used an awful lot in age-grade rugby. More people play league as a training drill occasionally in rugby teams than actually play it as a sport in England.

Touch Football is another great training exercise in regards to catching, passing, running lines and finding space.

with a big pitch and low numbers touch can be an ok training method I used to use it a lot for 7s training,

Sadly for 15s with a lot of players it was pointless a lot of the time, Maybe with a very obsdient non cheating team it could work but for many It ends up with players not stopping when touched and always want to drift on a bit, the same few faster players race around , . defence generally realises if the stand in a flat defence line and just shuffle side to side its all but impossible to get around, I know you can add things like semi rucks, recycle in contct, No. of touches before passing and so on.

I met a guy in UK years ago who played for England at touch rugby in Austrailia.. I never knew it existed until then. terrible 15s player

My skills improved remarkably after playing a season of proper touch. Things it included that we never had playing touch at training in Canada: mandatory retreat after the touch (gave room to run / time to think and act), limited players that opened gaps between defenders (the way we played it was too congested, leading to many people crash balling), limited phases (gotta do something with it otherwise you lose it).

I preferred OzTag, though. No griping over touched / not touched because someone's holding the flag, and the difficulty of actually grabbing it means you're not always going to get caught even in close quarters. The 'marker' concept - player who pulls the flag stands where the ball must be played on the next phase - not only prevents players from sneaking many extra metres, but gives defence time to get back and a reference point to set their line quickly (hate that thing in Touch where two players just pick, go, drop off to the player last tagged over and over with the defence continually retreating), and attackers can't easily pick and go with the marker standing level with the ball.

I also like that OzTag / League Tag / Irish Tag allows kicking! :)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 23:26

Used2BwithIt wrote:
therugbycoach wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
Blurandski wrote:League is a very underrated training exercise, in that it isolates the basic elements of rugby (i.e. catching, passing, tackling), and if you get players playing it then their fundamentals should improve a lot faster than by getting them playing rugby games in training. Hence it's used an awful lot in age-grade rugby. More people play league as a training drill occasionally in rugby teams than actually play it as a sport in England.

Touch Football is another great training exercise in regards to catching, passing, running lines and finding space.

with a big pitch and low numbers touch can be an ok training method I used to use it a lot for 7s training,

Sadly for 15s with a lot of players it was pointless a lot of the time, Maybe with a very obsdient non cheating team it could work but for many It ends up with players not stopping when touched and always want to drift on a bit, the same few faster players race around , . defence generally realises if the stand in a flat defence line and just shuffle side to side its all but impossible to get around, I know you can add things like semi rucks, recycle in contct, No. of touches before passing and so on.

I met a guy in UK years ago who played for England at touch rugby in Austrailia.. I never knew it existed until then. terrible 15s player

My skills improved remarkably after playing a season of proper touch. Things it included that we never had playing touch at training in Canada: mandatory retreat after the touch (gave room to run / time to think and act), limited players that opened gaps between defenders (the way we played it was too congested, leading to many people crash balling), limited phases (gotta do something with it otherwise you lose it).

I preferred OzTag, though. No griping over touched / not touched because someone's holding the flag, and the difficulty of actually grabbing it means you're not always going to get caught even in close quarters. The 'marker' concept - player who pulls the flag stands where the ball must be played on the next phase - not only prevents players from sneaking many extra metres, but gives defence time to get back and a reference point to set their line quickly (hate that thing in Touch where two players just pick, go, drop off to the player last tagged over and over with the defence continually retreating), and attackers can't easily pick and go with the marker standing level with the ball.

I also like that OzTag / League Tag / Irish Tag allows kicking! :)

Never played Oztag but it does seem a bit better than touch in regards to the hole touched/not touched BS you encounter. Would actually be the better of the 2 looking at them for someone who plays Rugby in terms of elusive running in tight spaces. Plus kicking.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 22:51

When did Olmstead sign with Aukland ? He's suiting up for a game according to his Instagram.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 02 Aug 2018, 23:30

ruckovercdn wrote:When did Olmstead sign with Aukland ? He's suiting up for a game according to his Instagram.

6 weeks ago?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 06:30

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... r-14989391

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/whos-h ... s-not-323/

"Jeff Hassler decision: The Canadian international winger has decided to put his career on hold at the relatively young age of 26. Hassler left the Ospreys at the end of last season, after a five-year spell at the Welsh region, and has since had a trial with Premiership outfit Harlequins but has now opted to take a step back from the game to pursue other interests, with a Walesonline report suggesting that Hassler plans to embark on a sailing course. It will be a shame if he walks away from rugby but we wish him everything of the best as it is his decision of course and hopefully he returns to the game sooner rather than later."

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 12:21

Hassler played 80 minutes in all three games with us this summer. Who takes over the #14 jersey with him gone?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 04:58

So Canada is burning...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 08:08

grande wrote:Hassler played 80 minutes in all three games with us this summer. Who takes over the #14 jersey with him gone?

Kind of strange that he didn't wait at least until November for the repechage. Why not finish your career on a high like a world cup in 2019?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 16:02

https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/08/rugby- ... d-programs

"RUGBY CANADA ANNOUNCES CRITICAL CHANGE IN MEN’S CENTRALIZED PROGRAMS"

The long and short of it is:
- They're merging 15s and 7s player pools
- They're going to centralize 40-50 players in Langford
- It's not clear how many of those players will be carded; I'm expecting it will be the best 40-50 players that can afford to completely uproot their life and move to a suburb on the edge of the country with now job prospects
- They'll centralize the players in September

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 18:23

grande wrote:https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/08/rugby-canada-announces-critical-change-in-men-s-centralized-programs

- It's not clear how many of those players will be carded; I'm expecting it will be the best 40-50 players that can afford to completely uproot their life and move to a suburb on the edge of the country with now job prospects

Damian found out via a tweet he got tagged in.

The wages for this have to be shit?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 19:31

TheStroBro wrote:
grande wrote:https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/08/rugby-canada-announces-critical-change-in-men-s-centralized-programs

Damian found out via a tweet he got tagged in.

The wages for this have to be shit?

Rugby Canada seem to be making less sense than Normal
They are supposed to be struggling financially if they dont get through repechage, so why would they put peoples lives into chaos just before knowing whats happening,

Why they think mixing 7s and 15s is now a good idea when no one else really does as very few 7s players can play 15s to the potential they show in 7s.

I'm always a concerned when Rugby Canada release a statement, as they dont let people know whats going on usually till its too late, I don't believe anyone has mentioned anything about this previously , Same as bringing in some of Kingsley Jones friends to help him get team through WC Repechage, obviously thinks canadas coaches arent good enough or he isnt capable himself, but no one was told about these appointments prior to reading it on another countries news .

Really seems no planning and organisation at the top, and rank and file rugby supporters in Canada are the least of their interests

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 08:16

Two possible outcomes:

1. This works.
2. We see a brand new team at the RWC 2019.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 18:08

Looks like Rugby Canada has forgotten theres a game on again!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 19:21

Roster for this drubbing from Castres is: 1 Sears Duru, 2 Barkwill, 3 Kotlewski, 4 Sheppard, 5 Ciulini, 6 Rumball, 7 Heaton, 8 Campbell, 9 Mack, 10 Parfrey, 11 Lloyd, 12 du Toit, 13 LeSage, 14 Davis, 15 Sauder

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby north walian » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 20:19

north walian wrote:Looks like Rugby Canada has forgotten theres a game on again!

How come the team for tomorrows game is announced in the Vancouver Courier before the abysmal Rugby Canada website?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 22:16

I hope Taylor Paris makes a statement and scores 4 tries after being declared "not good enough" by Rugby Canada.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Sat, 11 Aug 2018, 00:25

TheStroBro wrote:Roster for this drubbing from Castres is: 1 Sears Duru, 2 Barkwill, 3 Kotlewski, 4 Sheppard, 5 Ciulini, 6 Rumball, 7 Heaton, 8 Campbell, 9 Mack, 10 Parfrey, 11 Lloyd, 12 du Toit, 13 LeSage, 14 Davis, 15 Sauder

I Think this must be a cannon Fodder side, to take a good beating,

Maybe Castres will play a load of newbies to give them a chance.

Bizzare i havent seen any notification of this game on Canadas Facebook or RC website......oh maybe it was some weeks ago.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 11 Aug 2018, 10:20

therugbycoach wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Roster for this drubbing from Castres is: 1 Sears Duru, 2 Barkwill, 3 Kotlewski, 4 Sheppard, 5 Ciulini, 6 Rumball, 7 Heaton, 8 Campbell, 9 Mack, 10 Parfrey, 11 Lloyd, 12 du Toit, 13 LeSage, 14 Davis, 15 Sauder

I Think this must be a cannon Fodder side, to take a good beating,

Maybe Castres will play a load of newbies to give them a chance.

Bizzare i havent seen any notification of this game on Canadas Facebook or RC website......oh maybe it was some weeks ago.

They are running out the 1st team for the 1st half and the second string for the second half. Castres has their lineups on their website:

http://castres-olympique.com/actualite/1er-match-amical-contre-le-canada-samedi/

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 05:05

Castres 47-Canada 17

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 12:17

Brutal result; From what I'm seeing on Twitter, we didn't even start doing well against the second stringers...

A bit of good news for a change, Beuks is going to captain the Cornish Pirates: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45141474

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 13:53

grande wrote:Brutal result; From what I'm seeing on Twitter, we didn't even start doing well against the second stringers...

A bit of good news for a change, Beuks is going to captain the Cornish Pirates: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45141474

Yeah I heard that Castres didnt look like they tried too hard, and Canada struggled, in usual tradition, from start to finish.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 15:05

Yikes, 1st half was 26-3, 2nd half 21-14.

Good to see former players speaking out.....

https://twitter.com/mscholz16/status/10 ... 0639341568

https://twitter.com/jmoonlight12/status ... 8756038657

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 12 Aug 2018, 23:15

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 12:16

Wow! Brutal French honesty right there.

"Canada was weak and ineffectual and significant work will need to occur if they even want to qualify for the World Cup"

Canada also asked that the scrums go to uncontested half way through the match which seemed to really irritate Castres.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum