Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Pacific Islands Super Rugby team rejected

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Pacific Islands Super Rugby team rejected

Postby Tobar » Sat, 08 Dec 2018, 16:15

The potential Super Rugby for the Pacific Islands has been rejected which leads us to ask, what can be done to help rugby in these countries?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 28476f9bb3

The team was rejected on the grounds of commercial viability which, given the state of finances in these countries as well as the commercial issues with Super Rugby, I don’t think is a terrible decision. The team would have had to run on a minimum investment of $12 million per year and would be based across 3 different islands.

I believe that the better options at this point would be to either create a team for Twiggy’s GRR or create a Tonga and Samoa team for the NRC. The NRC would be much easier to start off with but will not be very commercially successful. The GRR would be a great option as well because it is a new competition that is looking to grow and would not have the same talent level as Super Rugby (the Drua actually beat the Western Force to win the NRC). I am confident that a PI team would win plenty of games to help create a following back home.

National Flag:

Re: Pacific Islands Super Rugby team rejected

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 08 Dec 2018, 17:15

This was the stupidest idea ever, I didn't even know it was a thing. They just contracted from 18 teams, why the heck would they take a bid for an expansion team? To provide charity?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 08 Dec 2018, 17:25

Exactly, Super Rugby should not consider expanding until they can come together with at least some sort of consistency. They hoped that adding a PI team would spark some interest.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 00:33

Go with GRR. There is talk of basing in Hawaii, as they have the link with the money in USA, and the Polynesian support. The state doesn’t have any major US sport either, so the market is empty.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 09:08

Is GRR really a viable prospect or just big talk by Andrew Forrest?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 18:29

I don’t see why it isn’t just as viable as Super Rugby. The only thing really going for Super Rugby is backing by SANZAAR as the official pathway for its players. If RA sanctioned GRR then players could be on the Force as well. Salaries will likely be lower too with most players being in areas brand new to professional rugby. The Force were also able to maintain an average attendance higher than most Super Rugby games in the country.

It won’t be Super Rugby level from day one but it can definitely take off and at least be a truly commercial league.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:27

I was going to reply World Series Rugby, but then I keep reading the thread and learn about the Global Rapid Rugby.

If the intention is to alter rules, I'd remove two or three players, reduce scrums to 5 players, and play two halves of 20 minutes each.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:38

It sounds like you're just suggesting that they play 10s.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 16:45

Never seen it, so I can't judge it.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 19:16

Scrums have 5 players and halves are 10 minutes, I believe. It just sounds like an odd suggestion for a 15s team to change the scrum and reduce the game time in half.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 05:07

Would it be more viable if it was just a Fijian team?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 10:32

It makes more sense to have a stand alone FIJI Team rather combined let it bed in before bringing the other Pacific Nations, in terms GDP and developed economy which should be a key factor FIJI is the most developed of these particular nations.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 18:03

They also have the best players, theoretically at least since they are ranked highest and have the Drua

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 21:16

It would make sense for each Pacific nation to enter its own team into the second tier GRR competition, send the Sunwolves there also and then Super Rugby is back to a manageable single-conference 14 team tournament.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 00:50

eal22 wrote:It would make sense for each Pacific nation to enter its own team into the second tier GRR competition, send the Sunwolves there also and then Super Rugby is back to a manageable single-conference 14 team tournament.

I dont know, that´s too much logic and common sense for the people who running the sport...i bet they will be more like sunwolves go to Pro 14 and sanzaar searching for a super rugby team base in LA. :roll:

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 01:38

eal22 wrote:It would make sense for each Pacific nation to enter its own team into the second tier GRR competition, send the Sunwolves there also and then Super Rugby is back to a manageable single-conference 14 team tournament.

What second tier? The closest thing to that is the NRC. If anything get NRC teams for all 3 PI teams and when that is working then put a team in GRR. You can make it based on all 3 islands or just put 1 Fijian based team with players from all 3.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 10:56

Fiji and Samoa will have GRR teams. It was already anounced.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 16:16

victorsra wrote:Fiji and Samoa will have GRR teams. It was already anounced.

Now now...announcements mean nothing.

Return to Rugby Forum