Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American League (LAR)

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 16:05

Oh wow, imagine Latin football teams investing in rugby.

Chivas de Guadalajara Rugby in 10 years :D nah that club is too damn broke

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 17:09

No news of the franchise expected to operate in Chile. So far not any Rugby or Football club has anounced its participation in the League. A lot of consults and research but not any confirmed investor to finance the effort. My guess is that the League will have an experimental period in 2020 to really start with 6 or 8 teams in 2021.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 18:28

thatrugbyguy wrote:As in the football club?

The football club, as football clubs in Latin America are usually multi-sports clubs...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 18:30

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:Oh wow, imagine Latin football teams investing in rugby.

I think it is a really bad idea. All rugby people that aren't Corinthians supporters won't show up to watch it in the stadium and I doubt it will bring non-rugby supporters to the field - and if it brings them, it will be ultras menacing the atmosphere of the match.

Or do you think rugby people that are Atlas, America, Cruz Azul supporters would love to cheer for Chivas?

This together with CBRu's prestige among rugby community, that is in extremely low levels now. At leeast CBRu changed now its CEO and there is a good chance it changes its image. Without Danza perceptions might change. But anyway they are searching for football clubs because it looks nice in marketing presentations.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 19:01

victorsra wrote:

I think it is a really bad idea. All rugby people that aren't Corinthians supporters won't show up to watch it in the stadium and I doubt it will bring non-rugby supporters to the field - and if it brings them, it will be ultras menacing the atmosphere of the match.

Or do you think rugby people that are Atlas, America, Cruz Azul supporters would love to cheer for Chivas?

This together with CBRu's prestige among rugby community, that is in extremely low levels now. At leeast CBRu changed now its CEO and there is a good chance it changes its image. Without Danza perceptions might change. But anyway they are searching for football clubs because it looks nice in marketing presentations.

I think you took my comment at face value, I was mostly being ironic.

Hell no, fans of those teams would not cheer for Chivas, Mexico is pretty regionalist as it is (though I do remember cheering on other Mexican teams in Libertadores, good times while it lasted). I think most Mexican clubs would probably not invest money in a rugby union team (except maybe América because they are owned by Televisa). Some new identity which "represents" all of Mexico might work better, but at the end of the day the curiosity of rugby will be the main driving factor. Things like this would be a long term investment, and keeping people engaged. (This is vaguely related to the proposal of a Mexican team joining this league down the line, which I heard a year ago but must have been scrapped). I think selling the idea of "Mexico vs the rest of Latin America" may work, but come on some Mexican franchise would need to be back-loaded with foreigners to help the team, and that would be counterproductive.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 23:38

sorry :lol:

Yeah, I am afraid of bad choices being made now...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 23:47

Uruguay is the only country where football giants are a good option because 90% of the country is Nacional or Peñarol.

But a city like São Paulo, divided by 3 big clubs (Corinthians, Palmeiras and São Paulo + Santos supporters) is definitly a call for divide. They won't impact half of rugby's already existing community...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 04:39

Xolos are taking serious looks at MLR. They're currently working with SD Legion to establish youth clubs in Tijuana.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 05:08

TheStroBro wrote:

Xolos are taking serious looks at MLR. They're currently working with SD Legion to establish youth clubs in Tijuana.

Very interesting to read. Was wondering if they were still interested. Would be good to see both the Legion and SabreCats look to play the Mexican national team in some kind of preseason tri-series on a yearly basis to 1) test the waters and 2) prepare any future Mexican franchise for entry.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 08:39

There is an important different. Tijuana has just one football club - that is not one with long time tradition in Mexican football.

The problem about football clubs is in cities split in 2 or more clubs with fierce rivalry. In Mexico the cities with more than one big football club are Mexico City (America, Pumas, Cruz Azul), Guadalajara (Chiva, Atlas) and Monterrey (Monterrey, Tigres). In Brazil and Argentina, for exemple, all of the big cities have more than one club - some have 3 or even more.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 09:09

victorsra wrote:There is an important different. Tijuana has just one football club - that is not one with long time tradition in Mexican football.

The problem about football clubs is in cities split in 2 or more clubs with fierce rivalry. In Mexico the cities with more than one big football club are Mexico City (America, Pumas, Cruz Azul), Guadalajara (Chiva, Atlas) and Monterrey (Monterrey, Tigres). In Brazil and Argentina, for exemple, all of the big cities have more than one club - some have 3 or even more.

Tijuana are definitely an oddity, funny enough they have a large fan-base in San Diego, but even some of these fans are Anglos(!), they represent not just Tijuana but also San Diego who have no MLS team.

Mexican teams in MLR would make more sense from a traveling standpoint; flying from Mexico City to Chicago is a lot less of a hassle than to Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 19:35

Rumours here about SLAR: Brazil won't have two teams. We are struggling to be able to field one. CBRu broken. Wait for more news.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum