Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2019 Hong Kong Sevens

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2019 Hong Kong Sevens

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:15

BTW, that female commentator is terrible.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:16

RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:Really annoying the lack of knowledge about Latin names from the commentators of the English-speaking broadcast. No one is supposed to be called by 3 family names. No one is "Dos Santos Silva", "Da Silva Costa"...

Dos is a family name 8-)
Trolling apart, what are the rules? In Brazil you use the mother's name first and the father's name second, right? In the Spanish speaking countries it is the other way round, right²?

:lol: "Dos" = "De Los" in Spanish

In Portuguese first Mother name and last Father name, but some people have more than 3 family names, bringing more than one from either mother or father. Yes, Spanish is the opposite.

In Brazil this is very relaxed nowadays. You can choose the sequence you want, it is legal. You can even cut and have only 1 family name.

Therefore, there is no social rule in Brazil about by whch family name you call someone. Usually it is the last one, but we tend to pick the most odd one Names like Santos or Silva are far too common.

The most common thing to do is simply call someone by the first name, not the family name. This is very social acceptable, even in formal situations. Nicknames are widespread in sports and much more used, as a national tradition.
Last edited by victorsra on Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:17

thatrugbyguy wrote:Congrats Lady Tupis!

It is Yaras the nickname.

So proud, they were amazing!!! É CAMPEÃO!!!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:20

Parabens

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:24

victorsra wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:Really annoying the lack of knowledge about Latin names from the commentators of the English-speaking broadcast. No one is supposed to be called by 3 family names. No one is "Dos Santos Silva", "Da Silva Costa"...

Dos is a family name 8-)
Trolling apart, what are the rules? In Brazil you use the mother's name first and the father's name second, right? In the Spanish speaking countries it is the other way round, right²?

In Portuguese first Mother name and last Father name, but some people have more than 3 family names, bringing more than one from either mother of father.

In Brazil this is very relaxed nowadays. You can choose the sequence you want, it is legal. You can even cut and have only 1 family name.

Therefore, there is no social rule in Brazil about by whch family name you call someone. Usually it is the last one, but we tend to pick the most odd one Names like Santos or Silva are far too common.

The most common thing to do is simply call someone by the first name, not the family name. This is very social acceptable, even in formal situations. Nicknames are widespread in sports and much more used, as a national tradition.

So it is complicated and they maybe only want to make sure that they say maybe too many details of a name instead of not enough. Also don't forget that those commentators are most probably monolinguists and therefore have a limited understanding of other cultures.
In Germany they actually added the possibility of doing the Portuguese/Spanish name tradition ( I like this traditions a lot tbh), by adding the sirname of one parent as a given name. Personally still glad that we don't have this tradition in Germany, as my ancestors names would create a list of tongue-twisters with something for everybody :D

Edit: Congrats to Brazil on beating Scotland and reaching the World 7s Series. Great news!
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:34

I must agree with you, but it is not like Brazil is a new team in the series. Just ask before which name to use. Not difficult to do. If you follow soccer you probably have the notion that Brazilians are a bit odd in the name department...

About HK title, Bianca and Raquel were brilliant, but it is great to see that Leila and Rafaela are really shinning with Yaras shirt. What a tournament from Leila!! BTW, Leila and Bianca (the Silvas :lol: ) are both from Leoas de Paraisópolis, the team born in a São Paulo favela called Paraisópolis where there is a famous social project called Rugby Para Todos.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Dos is a family name 8-)

In Portuguese first Mother name and last Father name, but some people have more than 3 family names, bringing more than one from either mother of father.

So it is complicated and they maybe only want to make sure that they say maybe too many details of a name instead of not enough. Also don't forget that those commentators are most probably monolinguists and therefore have a limited understanding of other cultures.
In Germany they actually added the possibility of doing the Portuguese/Spanish name tradition ( I like this traditions a lot tbh), by adding the sirname of one parent as a given name. Personally still glad that we don't have this tradition in Germany, as my ancestors names would create a list of tongue-twisters with something for everybody :D

Edit: Congrats to Brazil on beating Scotland and reaching the World 7s Series. Great news!

Congratulations to Brazil, some serious ball carriers there. closer than I expected.

In Spanish De los is part of the surname I have family who are "De Los Rios" loosely translated "from the rivers" or "of the rivers" depends who in the family you speak with. Just to add to the confusion Latin women up until recent generations didn't take the Men's surname it was added at the end, so if you have say surname Lopez and you were married to a Martinez then should would be known as Lopez de Martinez which de being "of" or part of that surname.

Father's Surname always first followed by Mother's maiden name

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 09:58

they should put nicknames on the shirts and on the game sheet. Problem solved.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 11:31

Thomas wrote:In Spanish De los is part of the surname I have family who are "De Los Rios" loosely translated "from the rivers" or "of the rivers" depends who in the family you speak with.

I am fully aware of the whole procedere. I just made a small joke, when victor wrote that they pronounced three names and then gave the example of "Dos Santos Silva", that Dos is its own sirname then.

To add more to the confusin, I actually found out, that some Argentinians really take it serious that both of their sirnames are used.

victorsra wrote: Just ask before which name to use

They are most probably sitting in a studio in London or whereever the World Series production is. I think rey's suggestion makes the most sense.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 11:40

RugbyLiebe wrote: To add more to the confusin, I actually found out, that some Argentinians really take it serious that both of their sirnames are used.

Yeah, the old generation demands that, I asked my grandparents the reason when I was very young and got myself in trouble for just asking but it turns out that way back if you didn't use both surnames then it was a sign you were either a illegitimate child or born out of wedlock. wont bore you with the definitions. I thought it meant the same thing but apparently it isn't ! go figure.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 11:51

rey200 wrote:they should put nicknames on the shirts and on the game sheet. Problem solved.

Yes, just like soccer

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 12:31

Thomas wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote: To add more to the confusin, I actually found out, that some Argentinians really take it serious that both of their sirnames are used.

Yeah, the old generation demands that, I asked my grandparents the reason when I was very young and got myself in trouble for just asking but it turns out that way back if you didn't use both surnames then it was a sign you were either a illegitimate child or born out of wedlock. wont bore you with the definitions. I thought it meant the same thing but apparently it isn't ! go figure.

Those were actually young players, who insisted we'd use both names on our lineups. Maybe a grandma fired them up :D

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 13:06

In tennis it's common that Spanish players write their two surnames in forms, and then are known by them (Roberto Bautista Agut, Pablo Carreño Busta, Albert Ramos Viñolas). Calling them Bautista, Carreño and Ramos would be enough.

An even more complex case is racecar driver Ana Beatriz Caselato Gomes de Figueiredo. She would be called Bia Figueiredo, but in the United States she became known as Ana Beatriz, as people would struggle to pronounce Figueiredo.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 03:53

rey200 wrote:Scotland vs Brazil in the final. Japan couldn't quite make it... it's not that easy winning this one, is it.

The standard was so much higher this year than last year. Last year China looked like the outright favourites after the pool stages and were indeed the eventual winners but this year it was less predictable with sevetal teams looking like front runners. Belgium reached the semis last year but couldn't make it to the quarters this year. I hope China stays up instead of coming straight back down and Brazil can hamg on too.

This is the first year in a long time that we've not had either China or Japan in the final.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 04:04

Canalina wrote:A tourney poor of satisfactions for Uganda's women and men, I'm sorry for that

Third time in HK for Ugandan men plus a few Series tourneys so maybe the coach had different expectations though realistically their preparations nowhere match that of the other teams ...
For the women, HK debut and no other tournaments except RA 7s. Very young squad - 3 teenagers plus only 3 players are above 23 years old. Lots of take homes but realistically this team will start matching up to Kenya and SA about 2/3 years from now.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 23:24

I hope so. Africa needs more competitive women's teams.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 13:29

johnbirch wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:
johnbirch wrote:Four of the squads for the qualifier have women coaches - Brazil, Japan, PNG and Uganda - which must be a record of some sort. I cannot off-hand think of any major women's tournament with such a high percentage of women coaches.

Only a third of the teams, but still a step forward.

They're team managers not coaches - only one female coach (from Uganda) at the tournament

Apologies - I stupidly saw the word "coach" next to their names on the World Rugby tournament website and assumed they were coaches.

My bad.

No worries. The team managers did the paperwork and it seems that a number of them got it wrong. For Uganda, it has Regina Lunyolo as coach yet she is the team manager.

I don't know about other countries but in Uganda and Kenya, more women are taking up coaching roles at school (a few coach boys teams) and club level although men still dominate coaching roles. It is a good start though especially as female coached teams perform similarly to male coached teams.

Previous

Return to Women's Rugby