Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Potential Hungarian / Chilean recruit

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Potential Hungarian / Chilean recruit

Postby MikeN » Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 21:55

This guy is handy. Qualifies for at least 5 countries but I reckon Chile and Hungary would make the best use of him.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/japan-bound ... -the-prize

Re: Potential Hungarian / Chilean recruit

Postby 4N » Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 22:27

He started for the Chiefs on Saturday in their win over the Crusaders and played well. Guessing he will stick with them next season.

Postby Raven » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 07:33

I´d be amazed if he would want to play for either country in the given scenario he is in.

IMO Chile would have a better chance between the 2, but I´m guessing it would only happen in 3 or 4 years if international rugby with Australia is not possible (forgive me for thinking the NZ ship is probably gone)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 08:34

MikeN wrote:This guy is handy. Qualifies for at least 5 countries but I reckon Chile and Hungary would make the best use of him.

one player of a much higher level compared with the others don't make any difference, see Lund for Norway. possible he'd be good for Chile but Hungary no, the level is simply too low.

Postby Raven » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 09:53

amz wrote:
MikeN wrote:This guy is handy. Qualifies for at least 5 countries but I reckon Chile and Hungary would make the best use of him.

one player of a much higher level compared with the others don't make any difference, see Lund for Norway. possible he'd be good for Chile but Hungary no, the level is simply too low.

He´d be a good addition to Chile if Chile decides they want to take the HP seriously... otherwise it would also be a waste of time, efforts and money. He´d probably have to leave the professional set up in Chiefs as well to join fellow countrymen in MLR or Europe as I don´t see the NZ franchise keeping more than 2 or 3 foreign players in their squad...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 15:08

I don't see him leaving Australia any time soon.

And Debreczeni junior is hoping that the career detour to Japan will ultimately help him fulfill his dream of one day wearing a Wallabies jersey.

"I don't think I'm finished with Super Rugby and the goal is to one day put on the green and gold jersey," he said.

He wants to play for Australia so as long as he has a shot then he's not going to play for another country. However, if his Super Rugby career ends and he goes up to Europe (entirely possible because he should have an EU passport) then I wouldn't rule out a Chilean cap in a couple of years. However, he's a 25 year old flyhalf and would feature prominently on the Chilean team even if he is 29/30 when he gets his first cap.

Despite this, the Chilean union should be in direct contact with him as often as possible and have a good relationship should he ever change his mind.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 20:55

Yeah agree completely. Just having a player of that caliber in your team lifts all the other players. They seem to train harder, pay more attention plus they can learn a lot of him.
However I'd say that given the state of Aussie rugby he could have a good chance of getting capped at some time.

Return to Rugby Forum