Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2019 Pacific Nations Cup (PNC)

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

2019 Pacific Nations Cup (PNC)

Postby grande » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 19:19

I somehow missed this, maybe y'all did too!

The PNC is back to its 2014/15 teams (Canada, USA, Japan, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa). Unfortunately, they're again doing the "cross pool" format, with each team playing only three games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Worl ... ations_Cup

Games are being hosted by USA, Japan, Fiji and Samoa. I'm bummed Canada gets 0 home games, but still excited for the return of this tournament. I always liked it with these teams.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2019 Pacific Nations Cup (PNC)

Postby Edgar » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 19:47

Thanks for the update Grande. I did read about this somewhere but it didn't particularly enthuse me personally. I've always seen PNC as one of those pointless competitions that World Rugby concocts primarily to free tier 1 from the burden of playing their tier 2 neighbors. The Nations Cup is another. Teams lumped together and travelling thousands of kilometers to play in front of hundreds of spectators is perhaps not the wisest investment. Especially as I've analyzed the results and no significant improvement was discernible overall; if anything the reverse. Rugby is a sport where, more than any other, your standards are largely determined by the standard of opposition you face most regularly.

Postby Raven » Wed, 19 Jun 2019, 10:59

I respect your point of view and understand from where it´s coming from, but these are still tournaments aimed to develop a larger pool of players. World Rugby provides a tool for these teams to test and cap more players which may not be seen in June and November tests. Maybe for USA and Canada the Americas Rugby Championship is good enough, but these sort of tourneys are certainly good for the PIs and Japan; and matches amongst these 6 sides are normally quite close. In the Nations Cup, Russia and especially Namibia who also played without some of what pressumably will be their starters in this RWC did very well and one could tell they needed this.

You want to see Russia play i.e Ireland on a regular basis to see if the Irish score 5 points less or 10 points more with a half test XV made up for the ocasion? I don´t see the point in that really... take the Georgia in the REC example, Germany has not improved by playing them every year, but grew by playing Brazil (Home and Away), Uruguay, Chile and U.S (Home). See how competitive Brazil have become by playing more often with U.S, Canada and Argentina XV...

This is a long game and I have to take WR side in this one, these tournaments are necessary, as they want to develop more than just one new nation.

Personally, I quite like "world" tournaments. The RWC Repechage was fantastic in terms of competition amongst these sides as games were not as one sided as some results may suggest. It may have not been that interesting in ticket revenue or media attention other than us T2 enthusiasts but it was also played in a neutral ground, close to a month full of International rugby.

Regarding the Nations Cup and the empty seats I think one of the problems may have been that it was organized at a great venue, but Montevideo has seen a lot of live rugby recently with Los Teros & Uruguay XV in the Americas Pacific Challenge late last year, the ARC as well as the Sudamericano Mayor. Again, it´s great to have the Teros involved as they need a lot of competition in their RWC build-up, and I believe they have used this wisely. I venture to say that if played in some other country where there´s not that many things happening locally there would have been more people in the stands watching.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Wed, 19 Jun 2019, 11:25

Sure, mostly valid points and I was only expressing a personal view, naturally. Though it is based on a long-term analysis of crowd figures at both the PNC and Nations Cups' and subsequent results by the teams involved - as mentioned. Crowds were also poor for the Nations Cup in Bucharest and I believe that had something to do with its departure for Uruguay. So I'm only questioning if it is a wise investment for World Rugby. Of course, it's better than nothing. But if we want to see improvement, more exposure to first tier rugby is the way forward; that's why I view this as more of a cop out by the powers that be than a genuine attempt to develop Pacific Rim rugby.

Return to Rugby Forum