Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

National Flag:
WalesWales

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 19:58

I thought I would set this up as it seems that recently, information regarding two of the main qualification regions has come to light. Here we can share any news on all things RWCQ 2023.

As a recap, here is the information, that as of today, I am aware of:

AFRICA:
There was of course the infamous cancellation of all levels of the Africa Cup due to the sponsorship collapse. This led to the announcement of a reformed, wholly continental competition, with all competitors able to win the same trophy.
Starting from November 2019, 16 teams will compete in the new Rugby Africa Cup (RAC) with an aim to qualify for the 2023 Rugby World Cup in 2022. This format is more inclusive and easier to follow. The top 16 teams based on the African ranking will compete in a single coordinated competition until the last two face each other in the final.

The first stage consists of a qualifying round: the teams ranked 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th will oppose the teams ranked 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th, respectively, in a single match at home. The winner of each of these four matches will progress to the group phase. In this second stage, the 12 teams are divided into 4 pools; inside each pool the 3 teams play against each other in a home or away game. The winner of each group will progress to the final tournament of the RAC. The top four teams from Africa will meet in one venue for the final stage of the RAC, which will include two semi-finals, a play-off for third place and, ultimately, the final to decide who will be the African champions.

Between the elimination series, the group rounds and the final tournament, there will be a total of twenty matches spread over up to sixteen different host countries across Africa.

AMERICAS:
There was a report that the Americas Rugby Championship would be providing qualifiers for the region, meaning the end of the Can-Am qualification leg-up.
From carbonero:
ARC from mid-August to mid-September. Acts as RWC qualifier in 2021/2022. Two direct berths plus other two in the repechage. Relegation playoff with the Challenge starting in 2020.

For me, this looks like it could be very interesting. From this I would imagine, 2020 would be the old South America B and C tournaments and the RAN competition for a playoff against the 2020 ARChallenge 4th place, eliminating the loser. 2021 would see the loser of the 2021 ARChampionship 6th place/ ARChallenge winner eliminated.

I suppose that the fundamentals of the Oceania and Asian qualification competitions will depend wholly on what happens in Japan, much like last time.
I guess Europe will also largely remain the same.

Do we know if it has been confirmed if 2023 is still 20 teams? I seem to remember murmurings of someone in WR mentioning 24 at some point but I can't recall exactly what was said. The TWO repechage teams from the Americas got me thinking a bit about what shape it might take.

Of course, none of this is officially official and we probably won't know until January for sure.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby Neptune » Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 23:46

dwpeate wrote:I thought I would set this up as it seems that recently, information regarding two of the main qualification regions has come to light. Here we can share any news on all things RWCQ 2023.

As a recap, here is the information, that as of today, I am aware of:

AFRICA:
There was of course the infamous cancellation of all levels of the Africa Cup due to the sponsorship collapse. This led to the announcement of a reformed, wholly continental competition, with all competitors able to win the same trophy.
Starting from November 2019, 16 teams will compete in the new Rugby Africa Cup (RAC) with an aim to qualify for the 2023 Rugby World Cup in 2022. This format is more inclusive and easier to follow. The top 16 teams based on the African ranking will compete in a single coordinated competition until the last two face each other in the final.

The first stage consists of a qualifying round: the teams ranked 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th will oppose the teams ranked 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th, respectively, in a single match at home. The winner of each of these four matches will progress to the group phase. In this second stage, the 12 teams are divided into 4 pools; inside each pool the 3 teams play against each other in a home or away game. The winner of each group will progress to the final tournament of the RAC. The top four teams from Africa will meet in one venue for the final stage of the RAC, which will include two semi-finals, a play-off for third place and, ultimately, the final to decide who will be the African champions.

Between the elimination series, the group rounds and the final tournament, there will be a total of twenty matches spread over up to sixteen different host countries across Africa.

AMERICAS:
There was a report that the Americas Rugby Championship would be providing qualifiers for the region, meaning the end of the Can-Am qualification leg-up.
From carbonero:
ARC from mid-August to mid-September. Acts as RWC qualifier in 2021/2022. Two direct berths plus other two in the repechage. Relegation playoff with the Challenge starting in 2020.

For me, this looks like it could be very interesting. From this I would imagine, 2020 would be the old South America B and C tournaments and the RAN competition for a playoff against the 2020 ARChallenge 4th place, eliminating the loser. 2021 would see the loser of the 2021 ARChampionship 6th place/ ARChallenge winner eliminated.

I suppose that the fundamentals of the Oceania and Asian qualification competitions will depend wholly on what happens in Japan, much like last time.
I guess Europe will also largely remain the same.

Do we know if it has been confirmed if 2023 is still 20 teams? I seem to remember murmurings of someone in WR mentioning 24 at some point but I can't recall exactly what was said. The TWO repechage teams from the Americas got me thinking a bit about what shape it might take.

Of course, none of this is officially official and we probably won't know until January for sure.

The African qualification is really non - sensical. Just an attempt by North Africa to remain relevant. Any North African team can easily be beaten by half a century with Southern Africa's lowest tier B team. At the end of the day it will be a battle between South & East Africa, and most likely Namibia might win it, if the games against their toughest opponents the Zimbabwe Sables and the Kenya Simbas are all played in Windhoek.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 07:08

Probably worth remembering that North African teams at home are no walkovers - Zimbabwe havent beaten Tunisia in a few years, and Morocco were close to or leading Kenya for most of the game last time. I think the concept is a good one, even if the loser of the qualifier round dont play all year

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 11:40

Tunisia and Morocco have declined significantly since transferring from European competition to Africa at the turn of the century, and this is no doubt due in part to the fact most if not all of the top flight players are plying their trade in the European club leagues, notably in France. Both have reached World Cup qualifying repechages but that was some time ago now and neither appear likely to do so again in the foreseeable future. Tunisia conceded a century on their last visit to Kenya, and were annihilated 118-0 by Namibia last year. The Carthage Eagles were thumped 78-17 by Uganda's Cranes and the year before that 67-12. Kenya beat them 67-0 in 2018. Morocco, the region's traditional powerbase (and home of French legend Abdel Benazzi) had only just returned to the top division after a ban incurred some years before, and should have been relegated again, while Algeria are new to international rugby and only recently gained affiliation to World Rugby. The Maghreb Tri Nations demonstrated how closely matched these three nations are on the rugby pitch. Aside from Namibia, which is receiving a great deal of assistance from SA and World Rugby, East Africa is the region showing the most potential on the continent. But it is not progressing at the same rate as Europe and other regions, as evidenced by the Simbas' last place finish in last year's RWC qualifying repechage tournament. Zimbabwe appeared to be losing ground on the East Africans with a few lopsided defeats in recent years, but narrow victories over both Uganda and Kenya in the home leg this year offer some hope. Sables have moved up to 33rd in the world, just one place behind Kenya itself. Tunisia and Morocco are ranked 40th & 47th respectively, while Algeria have yet to join the rankings.

The Rise and Fall of World Cup qualifying https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/29/t ... ualifying/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 14:39

Edgar wrote:
The Rise and Fall of World Cup qualifying https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/29/t ... ualifying/

Congrats on this spot-on article. It is great to say, that since your return you have contributed a lot of good posts and it was way more fun argueing with you and reading your posts :thumbup:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Return to Rugby Forum