PNC Final: Japan vs USA

PNC Final: Japan vs USA

Postby 4N » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 03:49

Re: PNC Final: Japan vs USA

Postby 4N » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 06:18

:shock:

Postby 4N » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 06:20

34 - 20 to Japan. Not as sharp as they were vs Fiji or Tonga but still had some moments of attacking brilliance like the above.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 10:45

Watched the second half. Japan are looking more and more T1 like now. US still some room for development. They just seem too one dimensional. I think they are going to prove to be competitive at the world cup but it's going to be tough for them to claim a T1 scalp. I was hopeful after last years win over Scotland they might be able to get a win against one of Argentina, France or England, but they still look like they are 4 years away from being able to do that. Another couple of MLR seasons will do them the world of good.

Postby 4N » Sat, 10 Aug 2019, 12:59

Japan didn’t have a great performance overall (16 handling errors) but I agree their level is generally that of a lower end Tier 1 nation now.

USA missed Taufete’e big time. Easily the best player on the team.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 03:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:Watched the second half. Japan are looking more and more T1 like now. US still some room for development. They just seem too one dimensional. I think they are going to prove to be competitive at the world cup but it's going to be tough for them to claim a T1 scalp. I was hopeful after last years win over Scotland they might be able to get a win against one of Argentina, France or England, but they still look like they are 4 years away from being able to do that. Another couple of MLR seasons will do them the world of good.

The US is a different team with MacGinty at 10, as opposed to without. MacGinty came off injured just before halftime, seemingly as a precaution. This US team was missing at least Lamositele, Taufete'e, Civetta, Dolan, Lamborn and Campbell as well. Taufete'e, Civetta and Dolan would have made a huge difference in the lineout, which struggled most of the match. Not expecting a T1 scalp with a full strength side, but I'd expect a better look than against Japan. One very encouraging thing has been the development of the US scrum, both in terms of depth and overall quality.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 03:07

4N wrote:Japan didn’t have a great performance overall (16 handling errors) but I agree their level is generally that of a lower end Tier 1 nation now.

USA missed Taufete’e big time. Easily the best player on the team.

Definitely missed him but don't agree that he's easily the best on the team. That's fairly obviously MacGinty IMO.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 05:56

Coloradoan wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Watched the second half. Japan are looking more and more T1 like now. US still some room for development. They just seem too one dimensional. I think they are going to prove to be competitive at the world cup but it's going to be tough for them to claim a T1 scalp. I was hopeful after last years win over Scotland they might be able to get a win against one of Argentina, France or England, but they still look like they are 4 years away from being able to do that. Another couple of MLR seasons will do them the world of good.

The US is a different team with MacGinty at 10, as opposed to without. MacGinty came off injured just before halftime, seemingly as a precaution. This US team was missing at least Lamositele, Taufete'e, Civetta, Dolan, Lamborn and Campbell as well. Taufete'e, Civetta and Dolan would have made a huge difference in the lineout, which struggled most of the match. Not expecting a T1 scalp with a full strength side, but I'd expect a better look than against Japan. One very encouraging thing has been the development of the US scrum, both in terms of depth and overall quality.

Yes, there were still positives. McGinty is very much their key, I agree. I'll be watching the Wales v England game early tomorrow morning to see what the English are going to be like. They have a short 4 day turnaround when they play the US at RWC. Eagles will have no better opportunity to really push England in that game. They'll be fresh and England will play their 'B' team. But they need to do a bit more than what I've watched to do that. But fingers crossed.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 09:51

When do USA play Argentina? The jaguars form in Super Rugby has glossed over a very poor recent international record for them.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 11:18

October 9 is when they play Argentina. Pumas will only have 4 days rest also. USA have been given two pretty favourable chances here.

Postby 4N » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 12:02

Did you not see the match vs Argentina XV in the ARC? That ain’t happening.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 11 Aug 2019, 22:25

Coloradoan wrote:

Honestly, Aj should not have been on the pitch with that roster on the pitch. But to only lose by 14? I'll take it. If we had our First Choice team on the pitch this is likely a win. Which is a good place to be in.

Return to Rugby Forum