Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

A Pro12 Expansion

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: A Pro12 Expansion

Postby Figaro » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 07:39

Working Class Rugger wrote:Thing is. The SARU has always participated in the SR with one eye looking toward the NH. I've said in other conversations that if the Pro12 were open to it and the SA franchises could work out a deal that suits them that these two franchises would more than likely be just the initial shift up north. In fact, if the Pro 12 were to be open and willing to deal there is a real chance we'd see the SA franchise make the jump as a block.

Then it should be that or nothing. The Pro12 should never countenance taking on the second choice teams on their own.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 07:57

Figaro wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:Thing is. The SARU has always participated in the SR with one eye looking toward the NH. I've said in other conversations that if the Pro12 were open to it and the SA franchises could work out a deal that suits them that these two franchises would more than likely be just the initial shift up north. In fact, if the Pro 12 were to be open and willing to deal there is a real chance we'd see the SA franchise make the jump as a block.

Then it should be that or nothing. The Pro12 should never countenance taking on the second choice teams on their own.

Not only do I agree with that but I actually wouldn't mind it. It would force the ARU and NZRU (the NZRU in particular) to look to actually cater the competition to better fit with our local market. One that has proven itself to be very lucrative for sporting organisation that tailor their competition to it.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 09:55

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Not only do I agree with that but I actually wouldn't mind it. It would force the ARU and NZRU (the NZRU in particular) to look to actually cater the competition to better fit with our local market. One that has proven itself to be very lucrative for sporting organisation that tailor their competition to it.

I think one of the main reasons SARU contemplated aborting ship and going to the NH is because of the time zones. I stand being corrected on this, but the
SR games played in AUS and NZ reach SA audiences very early in the morning, Mostly between 5 and 9a.m, hence most SA folk have to struggle to wake up early to catch a game.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 10:18

SA have roughly the same time zone as us in Ireland. Here NZ teams' matches are usually finished by 10am. Australian teams' matches by 12am and South African teams playing at home play during our afternoon. SA is an hour or two ahead of us so for them those times will be even earlier.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 07:17

I know that the AP teams don't want it, but what about combining the 10 Celtic teams with AP teams and 6 Championship teams to make a 28 teams B&I Championship, using an NFL style season structure.

My league would be
Celtic Conference
Eire Division
Connacht.
Leinster.
London Irish.
Munster.
Ulster.

Cymru Division
Capital Blues
Glamorgan Ospreys
Gwent Steelers (new name for Dragons)
London Welsh (sure would get new owner if this proposal was running)
RGC (move Scarlets to bigger catchment)

Alba Division
Caledonia (new team based in Aberdeen or Dundee)
Edinburgh
Glasgow
London Scottish

Anglo Division
North. West. South
Newcastle Exeter. Wasps
Yorkshire. Bristol. Northampton
Doncaster. Bath. Leicester
Sale. Gloucester. Saracens
Worcester. Harlequins

Play a 16 game season, (6 fewer than current) over 17 weeks
Division winners plus 3 more from each conference into a 4 match play off, concluding in a Super Final between Celtic team and Anglo team.

This structure could perhaps become stronger than Euro Comps.

It also has the opportunity for future expansion and the moving of teams, just like a franchise system.
Think Cornish Pirates could be added to Celtic Conference and Nottingham to Anglo Conference.

The main obstacle would be central revenue sharing, where all teams share revenues with each other and there being a jar salary cap, so that smaller teams like Connacht, RGC, get fair funding.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 09:40

I never understood the obsession with the London "expat" sides? Why even bother talking about them, when all of them have quite poor attendances (maybe excluding the Irish which are not that bad, but still no blockbuster either).

Yeah they could create tv money, but not in this system and not if de facto next to nobody watches them now. Why should that change in the future? Away fans flocking towards London?

I mean maybe it is a mentality thing, but if there were the Munich Prussians where I live, I would never ever watch a game of them (and so would most of the hundred thousands of "Prussian expats" :D who live in Munich).
Can somebody please explain where the hope for expats sides comes from?
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 09:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:I never understood the obsession with the London "expat" sides? Why even bother talking about them, when all of them have quite poor attendances (maybe excluding the Irish which are not that bad, but still no blockbuster either).

Yeah they could create tv money, but not in this system and not if de facto next to nobody watches them now. Why should that change in the future? Away fans flocking towards London?

I mean maybe it is a mentality think, but if there were the Munich Prussians where I live, I would never ever watch a game of them (and so would most of the hundred thousands of "Prussian expats" :D who live in Munich).

They are old traditional clubs and whilst I have no problem with the clubs themselves (and it is a real shame that London Welsh went bust) I also can't understand the pro12 obsession with them. TBH I'm not sure it is so much the pro12 and the Scottish and Welsh unions looking at potential additional franchises that would generate good attendances and potential revenue as previous teams in the Borders and North Wales have failed. I guess they think that tapping into London's huge population and wealth might work out but the fact this has been looked at for years and never has happened suggests to me it wouldn't work and will never come to fruition.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 13:17

RugbyLiebe wrote:I never understood the obsession with the London "expat" sides? Why even bother talking about them, when all of them have quite poor attendances (maybe excluding the Irish which are not that bad, but still no blockbuster either).

I mean maybe it is a mentality thing, but if there were the Munich Prussians where I live, I would never ever watch a game of them (and so would most of the hundred thousands of "Prussian expats" :D who live in Munich).

Traditionally they were quite good clubs, never dominant but usually containing very good players for periods of time. London Welsh's greatest ever team would be pretty similar to the Welsh test side, certainly before professionalism.

As you say they never were particular spectator friendly sides and still aren't. London Irish is more a case of luck than judgement. They happened to be in the Prem when the drawbridge was pulled up and the structure started to ossify. If they had lost their play off to Coventry in about 99 I think they'd be much like London Scottish is now, good side but no real ambitions to be a Prem side. As it is they are now financially doped by Prem and the RFU so unless they spectacularly cock it up like Welsh, or have their owners take the parachute payment for themselves like Leeds, are likely to bounce between the divisions for a number of years.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 14:10

Horsehead wrote:

I mean maybe it is a mentality think, but if there were the Munich Prussians where I live, I would never ever watch a game of them (and so would most of the hundred thousands of "Prussian expats" :D who live in Munich).

They are old traditional clubs and whilst I have no problem with the clubs themselves (and it is a real shame that London Welsh went bust) I also can't understand the pro12 obsession with them. TBH I'm not sure it is so much the pro12 and the Scottish and Welsh unions looking at potential additional franchises that would generate good attendances and potential revenue as previous teams in the Borders and North Wales have failed. I guess they think that tapping into London's huge population and wealth might work out but the fact this has been looked at for years and never has happened suggests to me it wouldn't work and will never come to fruition.

There has never been a North Wales Pro12 team (or any other kind of fully Pro Rugby side in the North), so I don't know why you say they have failed (though back in the amateur days there were invitational "North Wales XV" sides convened for special occasions, and RGC1404 implies a little continuity with these, but they're something very different). The WRU wanted to establish one back at the start of regional Rugby, but the idea was shelved as there were no existing structures to base it on and it would rely on players from the south (the whole point of RGC has been to build a region from the ground up).

You're right though, in that the Exiles sides aren't the answer. If they couldn't succeed in the English system there's no reason to assume they would succeed in the Pro12, even if there weren't a million other issues blocking their involvement. I seem to remember reading on another forum a rumour that although the Pro12 had approached them (or vice versa), the Pro12 had gone cold on the idea due to the exile teams' poor crowds. I don't know about Irish or Scottish, but London Welsh haven't had any more Welsh players on their books than any other pro English sides in recent years (places like Bath and Bristol have generally had more).

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 15:24

Figaro wrote:
Horsehead wrote:

There has never been a North Wales Pro12 team (or any other kind of fully Pro Rugby side in the North), so I don't know why you say they have failed (though back in the amateur days there were invitational "North Wales XV" sides convened for special occasions, and RGC1404 implies a little continuity with these, but they're something very different). The WRU wanted to establish one back at the start of regional Rugby, but the idea was shelved as there were no existing structures to base it on and it would rely on players from the south (the whole point of RGC has been to build a region from the ground up).

You're right though, in that the Exiles sides aren't the answer. If they couldn't succeed in the English system there's no reason to assume they would succeed in the Pro12, even if there weren't a million other issues blocking their involvement. I seem to remember reading on another forum a rumour that although the Pro12 had approached them (or vice versa), the Pro12 had gone cold on the idea due to the exile teams' poor crowds. I don't know about Irish or Scottish, but London Welsh haven't had any more Welsh players on their books than any other pro English sides in recent years (places like Bath and Bristol have generally had more).

For some reason I was thinking that the Celtic Warriors were the regional team for North Wales and RGC replaced them in a development capacity, have I got that wrong then? Apologies if I have.

You're right, I think Bath and Gloucester seem to have more Welsh player over the years than London Welsh did. Either way I really don't think the Exiles are the way forward.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 15:56

sk 88 wrote:

Traditionally they were quite good clubs, never dominant but usually containing very good players for periods of time. London Welsh's greatest ever team would be pretty similar to the Welsh test side, certainly before professionalism.

As you say they never were particular spectator friendly sides and still aren't. London Irish is more a case of luck than judgement. They happened to be in the Prem when the drawbridge was pulled up and the structure started to ossify. If they had lost their play off to Coventry in about 99 I think they'd be much like London Scottish is now, good side but no real ambitions to be a Prem side. As it is they are now financially doped by Prem and the RFU so unless they spectacularly cock it up like Welsh, or have their owners take the parachute payment for themselves like Leeds, are likely to bounce between the divisions for a number of years.

So basically because they've been there for years and because their names suggest, that they might fit into a Celtic league :roll:
There must be a little bit more to that than just tabloid paper thoughts.

If you want tradtition, put some German clubs in. Heidelberger RK founded in 1872, Hanover 1878 (hard to guess since when they are around) :D
But at the moment it is more likely that Stade Allemand ehm Francais might join :lol:
At least as realistic as an London based expat side the pro12.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 19:59

I too am puzzled why people keep talking about those London clubs. It's never going to happen.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 20:28

The original Welsh rugby map of the regional teams:

Celtic Warriors were base in Bridgend and Pontypridd.

When the Celtic Warriors were left out of the competition its owner decided to create a Welsh team in Rugby League's Super League, the Celtic Crusaders, and moved it to Wrexham, in North Wales. It is the current North Wales Crusaders, one of the two Welsh "professional" (or semi professional?) rugby league teams playing the English third division.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 20:52

Whatever pro 12 decide to do they need to make a decision and not dither about.I think there ultimate goal is to join with all the English clubs but that will never happen.And they cannot afford to $$ wise to keep doing what they are doing now.
So its either.
1 European teams of either Spain,Georgia,Germany in some way.
2 USA and Canada teams
3 Sth African teams
There is no alternative

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 24 Apr 2017, 20:53

Going back 10 years ago possible 12 London Scottish and Richmond went bankrupt and had to start all over the again. Scottish have great support as part of the local Scottish diaspora which helped them get back up. Richmond had a similar problem but in terms of fund have always been the poorer cousin.

I would place a fiver they have no intention of going to the premiership. they are happy were they are they reach their zenith.

London Welsh professional side went bust, but not the club. These are 2 different entities the Amateur sides (including women's) and Youth sides are flourishing. There was talk of making London Welsh the 4 or 5 side Welsh side in the PRO 12 and fully professional playing in the welsh leagues this was before they went fully professional and got promoted to the Premiership as they have been in tier 2 (Championship) at the time for 10 years even though they didn't have the stadium and the ground that complied with championship (Old National 1) or Premiership rules they couldn't be booted like other clubs as they had been part of the competition at the time of rule changes they couldn't be enforced retroactively.

They attracted good players in those days I am talking 2007, 2008 even 2009 era. they had a good crowd of ex-welsh expats

Also the Welsh Exiles used to train at Old Deer Park, Welsh Exiles are all those Welsh eligible for representative Rugby that live and play in England at all levels. ( another story)

In 2009 ( I think) there was change in coaching and leadership and they went fully professional and the ethos of London Welsh changed and as they say the rest is history.

In Rugby League you have North Wales Crusaders and South Wales Ironmen both clubs are semi professional.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 08:48

Others have already explained it but yeah, the Celtic Warriors were nothing to do with North Wales and have no continuity with RGC (which weren't founded until several years later). The North Wales Crusaders used some similar branding and as someone said above were (are?) owned by the Warriors' former owner, but in reality had nothing else to do with the Warriors and don't even play the same sport.

The WRU's initial plan for regions was to have a North Wales region as one of four in total, but this was blocked by the existing pro clubs who wanted a bigger role in the sides eventually established. The result was that the regions formed were uneasy amalgamations of existing clubs rather than any kind of new identities. Two (the Scarlets and Blues) were de facto direct continuations of individual existing clubs. The situation has improved a little, with the Ospreys making efforts at creating a new identity, but not much.

It's not clear how well a North Wales region would have done back in 2003. Certainly, they would have relied primarily on players from the south as the local player base just didn't exist back then. The whole point of RGC (which has been going for ten years now) is to take the time needed to build up that player base. How far they can take it remains to be seen - I think a North Wales Pro12 team would never be competitive at the very top, but should manage to get crowds of a few thousand and at the very least compete with the lower teams in the league.

Top-level Pro Rugby has never been tried in North Wales.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 11:47

Thomas wrote:Going back 10 years ago possible 12 London Scottish and Richmond went bankrupt and had to start all over the again. Scottish have great support as part of the local Scottish diaspora which helped them get back up. Richmond had a similar problem but in terms of fund have always been the poorer cousin.

I would place a fiver they have no intention of going to the premiership. they are happy were they are they reach their zenith.

That was the summer of 1999, 18 years ago now!

Technically Richmond went into administration not bankruptcy and Scottish never even did that. Both could have survived if there had been any political will at all but with English clubs going back into Europe that year the extra games were no longer needed so the Prem clubs, lead by Walkinshaw at Gloucester, went to the other extreme and pretty much forced them out of existence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-union-walkinshaw-getting-away-with-merger-1098511.html

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 12:03

sk 88 wrote:
Thomas wrote:Going back 10 years ago possible 12 London Scottish and Richmond went bankrupt and had to start all over the again. Scottish have great support as part of the local Scottish diaspora which helped them get back up. Richmond had a similar problem but in terms of fund have always been the poorer cousin.

That was the summer of 1999, 18 years ago now!

Technically Richmond went into administration not bankruptcy and Scottish never even did that. Both could have survived if there had been any political will at all but with English clubs going back into Europe that year the extra games were no longer needed so the Prem clubs, lead by Walkinshaw at Gloucester, went to the other extreme and pretty much forced them out of existence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-union-walkinshaw-getting-away-with-merger-1098511.html

Cheers for the link! 18 years how time flies, I couldn't remember my timelines and i just wrote this last night. One thing is certain sending a club down the division and starting all over again is extremely unfair on Amateur Clubs until they hit Level 5 Rugby they were in undefeated runs for several seasons and racking up cricket scores against some of the clubs in the South East and Surrey respectively. I believe Scottish was owned or majority share holding by Tony Tiarks who caused the administration problem.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 08:31

Apparently the English Premiership have approached the South Africans and proposed to enter Currie Cup teams into the Anglo-Welsh cup.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39713384

Could this be the start of a wider switch of RSA Rugby to align with the Northern Hemisphere?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 09:26

Figaro wrote:Apparently the English Premiership have approached the South Africans and proposed to enter Currie Cup teams into the Anglo-Welsh cup.

Could this be the start of a wider switch of RSA Rugby to align with the Northern Hemisphere?

Is this really going to happen? What is the point of including the SA teams in a development tournament that no one really cares about, is it suddenly going to make it marketable? I have no more interest in watching the Wasps second string playing Western Province B than I do them playing the Scarlets reserves

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 09:44

Horsehead wrote:
Figaro wrote:Apparently the English Premiership have approached the South Africans and proposed to enter Currie Cup teams into the Anglo-Welsh cup.

Is this really going to happen? What is the point of including the SA teams in a development tournament that no one really cares about, is it suddenly going to make it marketable? I have no more interest in watching the Wasps second string playing Western Province B than I do them playing the Scarlets reserves

Agreed, I'm more interested in what it might mean for the Pro12

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 09:46

According to the Guardian this morning the main points are as follows:

The British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand this summer will be the last in its existing six-week format, Premiership Rugby has confirmed.

t is understood that Premiership Rugby are considering a Ryder Cup-style global club competition between northern and southern hemispheres, while South African Currie Cup teams could be invited to join the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... s-tour-cut

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 11:22

I think a global club tournament would be a good addition. If Tigers qualified for it I'd be well up for that, especially if it was a very rare treat about once every four years. Personally not a fan of the Lions and would prefer it just to be scrapped than this slow death by salami slicing away the tour.

Horsehead wrote:

Almost certainly not. Its kite flying at best, being utterly cynical its a cover to sell the prospect of SA sides in the Champions Cup instead of Super Rugby which is at least plausible if also a bad idea. The costs of going to SA for a game will surely not be outweighed by the revenues from a game watched by 10k people in the stadium and c.50k on TV.

The sooner McCafferty goes the better, he's long past his sell by date and his "ideas" are getting more and more bizarre.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 11:55

I kind of don't like were this is going to.
All about milking the status quo and then even creating a new tournament, we the existing teams play each other again. I mean wasn't that what lead to cr*cket (or whatever the Harry Potter style game with widgets and games for 5 days and *insert strange thing here* is called) to not growing at all? :D

Now serious: rugby needs to expand and create new markets to survive in the long run and I'm really worried that everybody apart from Pichot in charge of any pro-rugby-organisation is not aware of this. Even talking about a worldwide cup before even having a route for pro-teams from outside of 6N (cough Romania, cough Russia) to play their teams is a joke.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Sun, 07 May 2017, 10:39

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4438994

Scotsman are reporting that Treviso and Zebre will be replaced by a Roman franchise and American team in 2018-19.
Last edited by Figaro on Sun, 07 May 2017, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum