Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Postby Thomas » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 15:21

Sounds like a good setup.

What's a sport soldier?

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 17:20

Someone whose profession is to train and compete as an athlete, but is paid by the army.

Germany has another force where athletes are employed in that way: Federal Police
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 19:31

Canalina wrote:http://www.rugbyeurope.eu published most of the details of the Euro Championship 2019. Thirty-six nations competing, definitively not bad

Grand Prix, probably two tournaments
Marcoussis 29-30/6
(a third tournament in the middle?)
Kazan 13-14/7
1 - RUSSIA
2 - FRANCE
3 - IRELAND
4 - SCOTLAND
5 - BELGIUM
6 - ENGLAND
7 - POLAND
8 - WALES
9 - ITALY
10 - SPAIN
11 - NETHERLANDS
12 - UKRAINE

So it appears no Great Britain team for what should be an Olympic qualifier?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 19:57

Things seem a bit different from what I wrote. I received a "confidential" message explaining better the process

It will be almost the same schedule for men and for women

* June: first Grand Prix tournament, the best nine teams go the Olympic Qualifying tournament
* June: Trophy tournaments one and two, the best three teams go to the Olympic Qualifying tournament
* June: Conference tournament, the best team goes to the Olympic Qualifying tournament
* Early July: Olympic Qualifying tournament, with nine teams from GP, three from the Trophy and one from the Conference
* End of July or after: second Grand Prix tournament, no more affecting the Olympic Qualifying
* September or so: a possible third Grand Prix tournament, just for men

Scotland, Wales and all the eventual nations already qualified through the World Series will not take part in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Dates for top women should be
29/30 june GP in Marcoussis
13/14 july Olympic Qualifying in Kazan
20/21 july second GP tournament

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 20:19

Canalina wrote:* Early July: Olympic Qualifying tournament, with nine teams from GP, three from the Trophy and one from the Conference

...which makes 13 teams?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 20:32

You are right...

the two best from the Trophy

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 22:11

Canalina wrote:I received a "confidential" message explaining better the process

How "confidential"?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 23:13

Nine teams from top-tier sounds ridiculous given that two of them aren't even eligible.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 16:07

Well it's clear that the qualifier will come from the top tier, but they have to open it up to at least one team from each other tier so that every nation has a theoretical chance of qualifying, but it's kind of a token gesture.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 22:31

The Olympic qualification process has quietly changed - and I don't remember the announcement, unless someone can point me at it.

You will recall that the 12 Olympic teams were to be the hosts, 4 from the World Series, 1 from each of the six regions, and the repecharge winners (=12). The repecharge would consist of the 2nd and 3rd places teams from each of the 6 regions. This was, after all, only announced last September and is still up on the WR website https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/news/364051?lang=en

But now we have this: https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/cayman-islands-and-barbados-to-play-host-to-2019-ran-competitions/?fbclid=IwAR1Plm7YCvvOkXUTa9hcitve0sh2t1w-6bQEDn9D2nyDjL6wnFJnEVBTaRQ with the line "On the women’s side, the top placed team will qualify automatically for the 2020 Olympics unless both Canada and the USA have both pre-qualified, in which case the top team from the regional qualifier will play in the final repechage tournament."

TBH we had heard rumours on these lines but dismissed these as untrue. I mean, they don't change the qualification process halfway through...

So... this means (if USA & Canada qualify from WSWS) only 5 regional winners go to Tokyo, and RAN only send one team to the repecharge. So we are both a regional qualifier short, and one team short from the repecharge.

We've asked WR about this, but my guess is that the top two from the repecharge will now go to Toyko... and either Europe or the hosts (which may mean the same thing) will get an extra spot in the repecharge.

Which may account for the remarkably relaxed attitude of some European teams to their recent failures.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 10:08

Despite it may sound unfair to have a different number of spots for the various continents, I think that at the moment the north-american level outside Usa and Canada is too far from the top of the World; having Mexico or Jamaica at the Olympics losing 0-36 or 0-59 every match is not worth for the Games and, maybe, for Mexico-or-Jamaica too.
So it would not be a scandal, to me, if these rumors were true.
It's anyway perplexing that, one year and half away from the Olympics and four months from the first qualifying tournaments, we still don't know the qualifying process :geek:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 10:58

Canalina wrote:Despite it may sound unfair to have a different number of spots for the various continents, I think that at the moment the north-american level outside Usa and Canada is too far from the top of the World; having Mexico or Jamaica at the Olympics losing 0-36 or 0-59 every match is not worth for the Games and, maybe, for Mexico-or-Jamaica too.
So it would not be a scandal, to me, if these rumors were true.
It's anyway perplexing that, one year and half away from the Olympics and four months from the first qualifying tournaments, we still don't know the qualifying process :geek:

I understand why they do it, but I hate the reason. You set a qualification progress, you bloody stick to it. If you change because you don't like part of the outcome you are a moron. And World Rugby is a moron in this cases. Will they get trashed? Yes. Will they qualify out of sheer luck? Yes. Would the rugby sport in one of those countries get a lot of Olympic money and media attention? Yes.

Lucky qualifiers happen in sport, they are the salt in the soup (Edit: sorry, I literally translated a German idiom. "The icing on the cake" would be the English equivalent) . Don't change it for a stupid paradigma that there always have to be the absolute best present. This mentality is exactly what's keeping rugby back for centuries now.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 10:59

Still it sucks. You can't just alter the rules midway. Well it seems you can, but it's an outrage really. Stick to your rules or make them clear prior to games that start the process. It's ridiculous FIFA seems to be the best governing body for a team sports code knowing their flaws and failures. Another (!) missed opportunity for WR to demonstrate fairness and abiding to own rules.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 11:22

The most reasonable outcome out of this is merging Americas Rugby for once and all.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 11:40

Canalina wrote:It's anyway perplexing that, one year and half away from the Olympics and four months from the first qualifying tournaments, we still don't know the qualifying process :geek:

Consistent, though, as we still do not know the qualification process for the World Cup either.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 11:48

rey200 wrote:Still it sucks. You can't just alter the rules midway. Well it seems you can, but it's an outrage really. Stick to your rules or make them clear prior to games that start the process. It's ridiculous FIFA seems to be the best governing body for a team sports code knowing their flaws and failures. Another (!) missed opportunity for WR to demonstrate fairness and abiding to own rules.

I totally agree - and it smacks of power behind the scenes. Because a certain European team with lots of votes on World Rugby realised that cannot qualify on the pitch, it seems that they are being given another chance via the committee room.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 13:00

I wonder who.. ;) ;) ;)

:P :P :P

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 21:06

The most reasonable outcome out of this is merging Americas Rugby for once and all.

That makes sense rugby now as men's play the ARC and regional sevens is not good enough. We'd benefit a lot with an annual Americas Sevens tournament with 6 core teams (Canada, USA, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina and... Mexico or Paraguay?... one being relegated) and 2 coming from North and South tournaments.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 22:03

victorsra wrote:

That makes sense rugby now as men's play the ARC and regional sevens is not good enough. We'd benefit a lot with an annual Americas Sevens tournament with 6 core teams (Canada, USA, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina and... Mexico or Paraguay?... one being relegated) and 2 coming from North and South tournaments.

8's about the right size for both genders in an inter-Americas circuit (perhaps consisting of at least one tournament in each region).

Now as for that part of the article, not sure if it's RAN themselves making that decision or if WR is involved in any capacity, given the particularly steep gulf between CAN/USA and every other RAN member (either way, it comes across to me as odd). To make the qualification process better down the line, I think (for both genders):

* 1 for the host country
* 3 from the prior year's World Series
* 1 each from one-off tournaments in Africa, the Americas (with qualifiers from both RAN and Sudamerica), Asia, Europe and Oceania
* 3 from the final qualification tournament; the two finalists and the winner of the third-place match

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 02:20

Another possibility would be:

1 host country
4 best teams of the World Series
1 team from each of the continents that hadn't a World Series Top4 team;
The rest from a 16-teams Repechage tournament (with teams qualifying from continental tournaments)

This would mean the hosts + 1 from each continent + the 5 best teams overall always.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 15:29

United States and Canada are too good for South American teams. There's plans to make two South American tournaments annually in Peru and Uruguay, which is a more reasonable first step.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 20:22

"Tri-Nations" U18 (to say the truth: one nation and two regions), first round near Turin (Ita)

France v Suisse 50-0 (rugby X)
Italie v France 22-5 (XV)
Italie v Suisse ??-5 [Italy won] (rugby X)

"France" is Savoie/Haute Savoie, a south-eastern region
"Italy" is Piedmont, a northwestern region
Suisse is the real Swiss national team

The second and third stages will be played in Chambery (Fra, april) and Geneve (Swi, may)

https://www.facebook.com/16370306898725 ... =3&theater

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 10:45

Great to see an expanded calendar for Women's World Sevens Series, from six to eight rounds, but I'd rather have seen an expansion in the number of teams.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 15:20

I like that 6 out of 8 tournaments are combined men's and women's. I would like a combined table.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 15:20

Results Women's Club Rugby in Guatemala

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby