Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Dec 2019, 10:13

Well, the game v Classic All Blacks at Metropolitano will be a real test for rugby in the country. Not only we've got the challenge to fill a 68,000 arena but prices will be real, ranging from 15 to 95€.

Except for Top 14 and EPCR finals, Spanish rugby events didn't cost beyond 15€...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Dec 2019, 11:03

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 9 - Live Streaming
Sunday 12:00 - UE Santboiana v Ciencias Cajasol Olavide

Sunday 12:15 - UBU-Colina Clinic v Barça Rugbi

Sunday 12:30 - Lexus Alcobendas v Bathco Rugby Club

Sunday 12:30 - Aldro Independiente v Complutense Cisneros
https://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/498959.html

Sunday 12:30 - VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v Ampo Ordizia

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Sun, 01 Dec 2019, 15:40

Armchair Fan wrote:Well, the game v Classic All Blacks at Metropolitano will be a real test for rugby in the country. Not only we've got the challenge to fill a 68,000 arena but prices will be real, ranging from 15 to 95€.

Except for Top 14 and EPCR finals, Spanish rugby events didn't cost beyond 15€...

Spanish rugby fans always talk about profesionalism, but conplain each time they have to pay.

I have been to all matches Spain has played in Madrid since November 2017, and the average price might have been under 10€ per match. That's insanely cheap in a city where a gin-tonic can cost that much in any average pub!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 15:15

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 9 - Results and Standings
VRAC Quesos Entrepinares 10 - 25 Ampo Ordizia :shock: :shock: :shock: (VRAC had a real shocker, unable to do anything of worth in 80 minutes)
Hernani 5 - 17 SilverStorm El Salvador (Chami missed the BP in a real mudfest)
Lexus Alcobendas 41 - 25 Bathco Rugby Club
UE Santboiana 26 - 9 Ciencias Cajasol Olavide (closer than the final scoreboard suggests, I don't think Sant Boi will be contenders)
UBU-Colina Clinic 28 - 28 Barça Rugbi (something still smells like rotten in Burgos, unable to gather pace)
Aldro Independiente 49 - 32 Complutense Cisneros

Standings can't be any tighter and we've got a Valladolid derby next weekend, which means it is entirely possible (except for a draw) that this will be the first season where a Valladolid club reaches halfway of the league with 3 defeats for the last six years. And it looks like Alcobendas chances will be boosted with the expected arrival of Mathieu Bélie. Yes, that Mathieu Bélie...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 15:43

Ainsthrilln wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Well, the game v Classic All Blacks at Metropolitano will be a real test for rugby in the country. Not only we've got the challenge to fill a 68,000 arena but prices will be real, ranging from 15 to 95€.

Spanish rugby fans always talk about profesionalism, but conplain each time they have to pay.

I have been to all matches Spain has played in Madrid since November 2017, and the average price might have been under 10€ per match. That's insanely cheap in a city where a gin-tonic can cost that much in any average pub!

Not only in Spain. Same in Germany. Would be really interesting to find out where exactly this mentality comes from. Just a rugby thing?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 19:46

It's just a human thing. People want better stuff but they don't want to pay for it.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 19:58

Thanks again for your updates, Armchair Fan. :thumbup: I always like to keep an eye on them. Looks like the top division is mostly dominated by the northern centers - Madrid, Barcelona, Santander and Burgos each with two or three teams, while the Valladolid pair are on top as usual. Just two Basque teams by my count, which is down a couple on a year or two back, and if I'm not mistaken they're both from Gipuzkoa. Seville's Olavide would appear to be the only team from the southern half of the country, while there still doesn't appear to be any representation from Valencia, Bilbao or Malaga, three of the six largest urban centers. :?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 20:09

Bilbao and Malaga actually had teams from these cities promoted to División de Honor B and are doing OK, while Getxo (Bilbao outskirts), Les Abelles and CAU Valencia will be contenders for promotion, as well as Fenix (Zaragoza) so I wouldn't worry much about them.

As pointed out multiple times in the past, the two academies who feed national team the most are Marbella and CAU Valencia, with no need of them being in the top-tier. CR Málaga has a very Argentinian POV, doesn't want to sign players to become pro but is starting to feed underage national teams...

The health of Spanish rugby and its geographical spread have never been better and larger (Almería in 5 years has gone from 96 players to over 500), the challenges are all regarding the next steps to be taken. That's why FER elections next year will be key, it's no longer about picking a coach or choosing a selection policy on French-born players, but goes way beyond that. It's more about how we fund high performance, how do we select and monitorise the thousands of kids that academies all around the country are feeding every year (I always give the same example, Madrid was unable to provide a single player for the XV national team last June in spite of its 9,000 licences), how do we convince town halls to build new grounds as we are reaching capacity limits (Valencia and Barcelona are at critical stages)...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 03 Dec 2019, 14:28

Confirmation on Mathieu Bélie's move to Lexus Alcobendas until the end of the season
https://www.alcobendasrugby.com/2019/12 ... das-rugby/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 08:13

They've raised the announced prices, starting from 30€ :roll:

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 08:39

Armchair Fan wrote:Bilbao and Malaga actually had teams from these cities promoted to División de Honor B and are doing OK, while Getxo (Bilbao outskirts), Les Abelles and CAU Valencia will be contenders for promotion, as well as Fenix (Zaragoza) so I wouldn't worry much about them.

Sounds encouraging. :thumbup: Qualifying for the next World Cup would be a huge boost for rugby in Spain. Legions would undoubtedly make the trip north to follow their team. I was there in 99 and saw how qualification for that tournament first put the sport on the map with match reports, previews and feature articles appearing in the mainstream newspapers. Neither did Los Leones disgrace themselves, though they remain the only team to have played at the tournament without crossing the try-line, and somewhat faded back into obscurity afterward. Their return is certainly overdue, and will hopefully make a more lasting impression on the landscape whenever it does come about.

Meanwhile, I see El Salvador just picked up an award from Cruz Roja for their voluntary work in the Valladolid municipality. Nice to see :thumbup: https://www.rugbyelsalvador.com/el-club ... -espanola/

Any rugby in Galicia to speak of? What, with their Celtic heritage and all, you'd think they'd take to it like ducks to water ;)

Zaragoza - Caesar Augustos. :geek: One of my favorite bits of trivia, though I know nothing else about that city.

It would certainly be interesting to see how Catalonia and/or the Basque Country would shape up in international rugby in the event of either gaining independence, especially as both extend into rugby-strong regions of Southern France. Here they are, going head-to-head, in 1990 - with French legend Serge Blanco lining up for the Basques: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Well, the game v Classic All Blacks at Metropolitano will be a real test for rugby in the country.

Bit strange to see these old-timers now becoming a serious touring team. In my day they were just a social side that played for fun. I remember Stu Wilson giving an interview during a match once. Well, he was playing on the wing after all :lol:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 10:00

Well, when I say it will be a real test I mean for everything but sporting performance. So far it doesn't look bad, 5,000 tickets sold in two hours.

Galicia has some rugby, but they are stronger in women than in men.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 11:25

FER claims they have sold already 10,000 tickets. I see 5,700 sold on the website, so they must have numbers of VIP and clubs too.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 18:26

Can you link to where I can buy some? Looking at going, just want to check out prices

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 19:41

Here: https://www.proticketing.com/rugbywanda ... ento/17171

Tickets for 15€ in amphitheaters will be for sale once the lower grandstands are full.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 23:06

How many people would you expect to show up to the game? The fact that 10,000 tickets are gone already when the game is 5 months away is very exciting!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 23:19

I'll be disappointed if it isn't a sellout. As simple as that.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 04 Dec 2019, 23:33

Promising start though if 10,000 have already been sold.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 08:31

Armchair Fan wrote:I'll be disappointed if it isn't a sellout. As simple as that.

You're a hard marker. But if they've shifted 10k this early I dare say that should be the target.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 05 Dec 2019, 23:26

18,000 tickets sold is the number confirmed so far by promoters:
https://twitter.com/RContrerasFM/status ... 7440377857

I'm tracking what shows up on general sale website and it's over 10,000 already (out of 19,000 initially released) and if all what I've heard about clubs requests (done directly to promoters) is true I'm confident we are probably comfortably over 20,000, with some just waiting to be paid and confirmed.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum