Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

User avatar
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
Location: United Federation of Planets

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 21:07

Fiji qualify for the WRWC with a 41 - 13 win over Samoa

https://www.world.rugby/news/543018

Tour Match: Netherlands 0 - 18 Hong Kong

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 22:00

If I'm not wrong Samoa are going to lose 6 world ranking points in two weeks (and Fiji will gain the same amount)

Hong Kong is going to gain 5 points in one week, and Netherlands to lose the same amount

Samoa and Netherlands should lose half a dozen of positions, with the ineffable Portugal overcoming them both.
Japan (+2.80), Hong Kong (+5.00) and Fiji (+6.00) are the greatest gainers in these autumn test matches

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 22:03

Silvia Turani, the italian prop playing for Barbarians this afternoon, started to play rugby just three years ago, during an university year in Cordoba, Spain. I suppose that going in three years from not-knowing-rugby to a Barbarians jersey could be a world record

Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 14:39

Brazil will travel on December 15th to NZ to train and play some friendlies. This is the preparation for our new 15-a-side team to face the also new 2020 South American Championship (RWC Qualy).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3098
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 09:36

Due to the German Union's financial problems, the German XVs won't play in the European championship in 2020, according to a post by the DRV on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DRVRugby/photo ... 905598243/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 3945
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 09:44

One way or another it seems impossible to establish a serious continental tournament...

Posts: 3098
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 10:02

Armchair Fan wrote:One way or another it seems impossible to establish a serious continental tournament...


Imho the problem is all rugby problems in a nutshell.
1) the snobbish and stupid attitude of closed shops, which always kills growth
2) the non-Olympic problem, tough to get state funds for XVs (as women's sport tend to not have the same appeal to sponsors and paying attendance)
3) the relatively small base rugby in general has

Even if there are important specific problems to Germany, this three points is what we all need to work hard to change. Otherwise we might end up with only 7s in many countries. The more open structure of 7s has brought massive growth of 7s rugby in Germany i.e.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 21:08

If we had an open structure for competitions with travel payed by the organization, amateur national teams become possible. But continental unions are poor, so...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 421
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 21:59

RugbyLiebe wrote:Due to the German Union's financial problems, the German XVs won't play in the European championship in 2020, according to a post by the DRV on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DRVRugby/photo ... 905598243/
The post seems to have been taken down.

Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 12:40

There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
https://www.rugby-verband.de/interview-mit-drv-generalsekretaer-volker-himmer/

Posts: 421
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 17:23

Thomas wrote:There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
https://www.rugby-verband.de/interview-mit-drv-generalsekretaer-volker-himmer/
I'm relying on Google to translate but I can't see anything that confirms a withdrawl. In fact the women don't seem to be mentioned at all

Posts: 3945
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 17:25

I read the Facebook post before it was taken down. It said they maintained activity, with games expected v British Army (?) and Belgium in the next three months but were indeed withdrawing from REWC.

Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 18:07

johnbirch wrote:
Thomas wrote:There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
https://www.rugby-verband.de/interview-mit-drv-generalsekretaer-volker-himmer/
I'm relying on Google to translate but I can't see anything that confirms a withdrawl. In fact the women don't seem to be mentioned at all


The only comments that I found are as follows:

What positive aspects can you finally give the rugby fans?
Yes, in such a situation, unfortunately, the positive news always go down a bit. But what the 7th program does, albeit under different conditions, is exemplary and marked by success. And also with the 7-women now very good work is done at the performance bases. The success of the newly formed 15-team in Poland shows that we have potential that the Bundesliga is not as bad as some people claim. The defeat against the Netherlands also shows that we still have a way to go to knock higher again.

I believe he states 7's women for Germany not XV.
Armchair Fan wrote:I read the Facebook post before it was taken down. It said they maintained activity, with games expected v British Army (?) and Belgium in the next three months but were indeed withdrawing from REWC.


I briefly saw that I wish I had kept it. Only seen the comments on the FB page asking what is going on.

The odd thing is that the Rugby Europe website still has the women's fixtures as going ahead for March.

Posts: 421
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 18:28

Thomas wrote:
johnbirch wrote:
Thomas wrote:There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
https://www.rugby-verband.de/interview-mit-drv-generalsekretaer-volker-himmer/
I'm relying on Google to translate but I can't see anything that confirms a withdrawl. In fact the women don't seem to be mentioned at all


The only comments that I found are as follows:

What positive aspects can you finally give the rugby fans?
Yes, in such a situation, unfortunately, the positive news always go down a bit. But what the 7th program does, albeit under different conditions, is exemplary and marked by success. And also with the 7-women now very good work is done at the performance bases. The success of the newly formed 15-team in Poland shows that we have potential that the Bundesliga is not as bad as some people claim. The defeat against the Netherlands also shows that we still have a way to go to knock higher again.

I believe he states 7's women for Germany not XV.
Armchair Fan wrote:I read the Facebook post before it was taken down. It said they maintained activity, with games expected v British Army (?) and Belgium in the next three months but were indeed withdrawing from REWC.


I briefly saw that I wish I had kept it. Only seen the comments on the FB page asking what is going on.

That is interesting - well, and depressing - as we are back to square 1 potentially. Back to only offering only 7s, like they did from 2010 to 2016.

But when they reformed the German XVs in 2016 it was pretty much on the understanding that the DRF (the women's union) would manage the team, and that the DRV would offer minimal support. This would be for two years with an extension based on performance. They presumably were extended for 2019.

Since then Germany have played 7 tests and won 4 (Switzerland twice, Belgium and Czechia) and lost 3 (Spain, Netherlands and Russia).

It would be interesting to know what level of support the DRV had been offering.

And I am sure that RE offer some financial support to taking part in the Euros? Probably not a lot but rather more than Germany will get for playing the British Army and Belgium.

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 11:14

Nineteen ranked nations (one third of the total) have not played a test match in 2019, according to my search
Here's a list of them, with specified if they've fielded a national team in an other format and the last year they've played a test match. Corrections of the data are welcome

Image

Posts: 3945
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 00:48

Portugal is holding next 20th and 21st December a training camp for their XV national team. We only now need to wait for its first appearance in 25 years...
http://www.fpr.pt/news-detail/10058364/

Posts: 357
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby rey200 » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 08:31

hmm and I thought they'd wait until they reached the top 10 by not playing!
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Wed, 01 Jan 2020, 08:22

The nomination of Andrea Di Giandomenico, by ScrumQueens, as "best XV coach of the year" is having a good echo in Italy.
Congrats to Di Giandomenico (a good coach and good person, all the people say) and congrats also to ScrumQueens; I know that it's just a no-pro website managed, I think, by just two people but it's having a good impact on women's world rugby

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 24&lang=it

Posts: 421
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 09:34

Canalina wrote:The nomination of Andrea Di Giandomenico, by ScrumQueens, as "best XV coach of the year" is having a good echo in Italy.
Congrats to Di Giandomenico (a good coach and good person, all the people say) and congrats also to ScrumQueens; I know that it's just a no-pro website managed, I think, by just two people but it's having a good impact on women's world rugby

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 24&lang=it

Well, it was until we launched a quiz so fiendishly difficult and stress-creating that even a former England captain can only score 7/15!


Any experts here who can beat Cath Spencer? https://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/12 ... -2010-2019

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 12:41

Di Giandomenico: "best world coach? No, it's an award to the whole staff and especially to the players"

(article in italian)
https://blog.rugby.it/?p=10591

Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Jan 2020, 00:23

Colombia vs Brazil will be on March 7th.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 Jan 2020, 11:08

Good news from Uganda

Gold Cup

6 June: UGA vs SAF

13 June: UGA vs KEN

20 June: ZIM vs UGA

11 July (Elgon Cup, 2nd leg): KEN vs UGA

29 & 30 July - Semis

1 & 2 Aug - 3rd/4th playoff & final

https://twitter.com/WomensRugbyInUg

User avatar
Posts: 5117
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 19:23

In Italy a website takes count of the try-scorers' ranking of the national championship
Nice to see Sara Barattin, the national team caps' recordwoman, still on the lead...

Sara Barattin (Arredissima Villorba) 16 tries
Vittoria Ostuni Minuzzi (Valsugana Padova) 15
Elena Vitadello (Valsugana Padova) 11
Sofia Stefan (Valsugana Padova) 10
...

www.onrugby.it/2020/01/13/la-classifica ... ornamento/

Posts: 3945
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 10:11

For those who can't watch legally either Teledeporte or BBC Alba for Spain v Scotland (12:00 CET):
https://verliga1.net/tv/deportes/teledeporte.php

Not bad for a paying crowd, last games at Central Stadium in Madrid were free of charge
Image

Posts: 3945
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 12:49

Large Scottish win, 12-36

Bizarre game as teams looked to change their usual roles. Spain unable to convert a forwards dominance into points, extremely frustrating, while Scotland seems to have learnt to enjoy blitz rugby.

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests