Re: OLD STUFF - rarities

Postby victorsra » Fri, 19 May 2017, 17:04

The last and only Brazilian team to beat Uruguay in Uruguay: 1963

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 19 May 2017, 17:35

victorsra wrote:The last and only Brazilian team to beat Uruguay in Uruguay: 1963

Listen man, this is the English name and surname!

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:12

There was so much British immigration to Buenos Airies, Sao Paulo, Monteviedo and Rio de Janiero around the turn of the 19/20thC that all those guys were probably born and raised in Brazil or at least south america. There is a fair chance their parents were also born there.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 19 May 2017, 19:04

sk 88 wrote:There was so much British immigration to Buenos Airies, Sao Paulo, Monteviedo and Rio de Janiero around the turn of the 19/20thC that all those guys were probably born and raised in Brazil or at least south america. There is a fair chance their parents were also born there.

At the root of the development of football in Russia too were British. The Charnok brothers .
http://www.newagent.spb.ru/history/50-h ... 9-21-19-16

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 19 May 2017, 19:52

Listen man, this is the English name and surname!

This is the Brazilian national team, that in the 60s was basically the English, French and Japanese disporas. About half of those with English names were born in Brazil that time, half were just expats. English and French immigration to Brazil was much smaller than in Argentina and smaller than in Chile and Uruguay - and maybe that a reason for rugby to be small in Brazil for so long time.

But don't judge Brazilians by surnames. Brazil received millions of European and Asian immigrants in late 19th century/Early 20th century. There are millions of Brazilian with Italian, German, Spanish, Syrian/Lebanese (mostly Christians), Japanese (biggest number of people with Japanese origin in the world outside Japan), Polish, Ukranian/Russian/Lithuanian* surnames.

Of course the majority of Brazilians have Portuguese surnames, either because of Portuguese families (second biggest number of immigrants in 19th/20th centuries, after Italians) or because of the Colonial times (as Portuguese settlers, African slaves and poor freemen, mixed between Africans, Portuguese and Indigenous, had Portuguese surnames). Brazil is a mixed country and anyone can look a Brazilian.

*Maybe this is interesting for you, more than 300.000 people arrived in Brazil from the Russian Empire/Soviet Union in Early 20th century (many Jews, many Germans and Poles, but many Ukranians, Lithuanians and Russians as well... I have a friendly with Russian grandfathers that came from Harbin, in Northern China, where there were a consderable Russian community). This means now more than a million Brazilians with families that came from former Russian Empire/Soviet Union.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 21 May 2017, 18:30

victorsra wrote:

*Maybe this is interesting for you, more than 300.000 people arrived in Brazil from the Russian Empire/Soviet Union in Early 20th century (many Jews, many Germans and Poles, but many Ukranians, Lithuanians and Russians as well... I have a friendly with Russian grandfathers that came from Harbin, in Northern China, where there were a consderable Russian community). This means now more than a million Brazilians with families that came from former Russian Empire/Soviet Union.

In Russia the land in the East is given to all comers and the Old Believers from South America are beginning to return.

Its amazing they speak another russian and dres like at the beginning of the 20 th century!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfB67fL9_c8

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 24 May 2017, 18:21

I love these things from old Britain !

Modern tankard made in China is quit different! 8-)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 14:45

57 years ago, Romania defeated France for first time.

Match was on old "23rd August" Stadium in front of 55.000 people.

Teams:

Romania: 1. Lica Cotter (CFR Grivita Rosie), 2. Nicolae Capusan (CCA), 3. Alexandru Teofilovici (Progresul), 4. Vasile Mladin (CGR Grivita Rosie), 5. Anastase Marinache (Progresul), 6. Viorel Morariu (cpt CFR Grivita Rosie), 7. Mircea Rusu (CFR Grivita Rosie), 8. Radu Demian (CFR Grivita Rosie), 9. Costel Stanescu (CFR Grivita Rosie), 10. Rene Chiriac (CCA), 11. Ion Sava (Constructorul), 12. Valeriu Irimescu (CFR Grivita Rosie) , 13. Mihai Vusek (CFR Grivita Rosie), 14. Aurel Barbu (Dinamo), 15. Alexandru Penciu (CCA)

France: 1. Raoul Barriere (Beziers), 2. Jean de Gregorio (Grenoble), 3. Amedee Domenech (Brive), 4. Bernard Mommejat (Cahors), 5. Herve Larrue (Carmaux), 6. Francois Moncla (cpt Pau), 7. Michel Crauste (Lourdes), 8. Michel Celaya (Stade Bordelais), 9. Pierre Lacroix (Stade Montois), 10. Pierre Albaladejo (Dax), 11. Sylvain Meyer (Perigueux), 12. Jacques Bouquet (Vienne), 13. Guy Boniface (Stade Montois), 14. Henri Rancoule (Toulon),15. Michel Vannier (RCF).

Full article in Romanian here:
https://frr.ro/2017/06/05/57-de-ani-de- ... i-mondial/

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 18:02

In winter 1971/72 Teofilovici came (to Moscow) and held master classes for Soviet coaches

In spring 1973 he hosted Lokomotivi Tbilisi manager Temur Japaridze during reconnaissance visit

By 1976 he already had fled to Canada -- I heard that rumour from my coach, as 15 years old kid

@

Moraru later became Morariu -- I think, but NOT sure, to emphasize his noble roots | origin

In 1986, when I met him, he was still Moraru -- can check in my archives, he even wrote down his name

@

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 20:51

In winter 1971/72 Teofilovici came (to Moscow) and held master classes for Soviet coaches

In spring 1973 he hosted Lokomotivi Tbilisi manager Temur Japaridze during reconnaissance visit

By 1976 he already had fled to Canada -- I heard that rumour from my coach, as 15 years old kid

Heh, I wasn't even a project at that time. I know Teofilovici have even a rugby coaching book published back than:
https://www.okazii.ro/al-teofilovici-v- ... a185710176

Moraru later became Morariu -- I think, but NOT sure, to emphasize his noble roots | origin

In 1986, when I met him, he was still Moraru -- can check in my archives, he even wrote down his name

Morariu is an old noble Greek-Catholic family from Tara Fagarasului and as far as I know he had roots in the respective family. During 50s-60s Greek-Catholics were banned by Communists, they were persecuted and it wasn't probably an advantage to be descendant of respective family. So he probably tried to hide something earlier in his life rather than emphasize something later.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 07:51

Canalina wrote:It's not old stuff, it's very recent stuff, but I'm anyway proud of it: I bought from a sell-for-charity-website a ball of San Donà, one of the top ten italian clubs, used during the recent match against Rovigo. In the same website you may also buy the Canna's socks or the Italia women team ball... https://www.charitystars.com/tag/rugby

Look at it . I think it suits you.

Expensive of course, if you want you can buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signed-Match- ... Swgv5ZQuys

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum