Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Tue, 29 Jan 2019, 02:12

Oceania 4 (Australia or Samoa) will be favorites in the Repechage against any Europe 2. But Samoa in tje Repechage offers a good chancw for Europeans, as Spain proved in 2016.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 11:21

Common training in Naples on days 18-22 february between Italy, England, Ireland, France and Germany (Spain too was supposed to take part but according to the news published yesterday by the german federation they are no more in)

Apparently every team will play twice against any other team, more or less. Three games per nation on wednesday, three games on thursday and one or two games on friday

https://www.rugby-verband.de/wolfpack-t ... eapel-ita/

EDIT: no, according to this banner it will be an official tournament

Postby 4N » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 02:50

:shock:

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 06:35

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu published the first infos about Euro 7s 2019 (see under COMPETITIONS on the upper bar of the link)

Grand Prix will go from June 22 to July 21, being the first leg on Moscow.
The other dates pre-known (from a russian federation page) were June 29-30 in France and July 13-14 in Poland; is there a fourth tournament? Or the polish tournament has been moved to July 20-21?
Participating teams are: Ireland, England, Russia, Germany, France, Portugal, Italy, Wales, Spain, Georgia, Poland, Romania

Trophy will involve two weekends: June 15-16 (Zagreb) and June 22-23 (where?).
Participating teams: Sweden, Belgium, Lithuania, Denmark, Israel, Luxembourg, Latvia, Ukraine, Croatia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Bosnia Herzegov.

Conference(s) are still data empty. One only weekend involved, apparently: June 8-9.
According to last season results the teams should be...
Conference 1: Hungary, Cyprus, Moldova, Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia, Monaco, Austria, Slovakia, Finland, Switzerland, Andorra
Eventual Conference 2: Norway, Montenegro, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Belarus, Estonia
Plus some possible nations not playing last year: Malta, San Marino, Netherlands, Scotland, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Albania, Greece, Macedonia

According to that same russian federation page these tournament shouldn't be directly qualifying to the Olympics but there will be an other tournament, again in Moscow, on August 31/September 1, which will be the proper Qualifying tournament to Tokyo 2020. How many teams will take part? My hypothesis is 16: twelve from GP, three from the Trophy and one from the Conference

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 12:48

4N wrote::shock:

Now that's 7s at its best.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 22:02

Conference(s) are still data empty. One only weekend involved, apparently: June 8-9.
According to last season results the teams should be...
Conference 1: Hungary, Cyprus, Moldova, Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia, Monaco, Austria, Slovakia, Finland, Switzerland, Andorra
Eventual Conference 2: Norway, Montenegro, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Belarus, Estonia
Plus some possible nations not playing last year: Malta, San Marino, Netherlands, Scotland, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Albania, Greece, Macedonia

I forgot to check the "teams" voice on that Conference page, https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competitions ... conference
There's already a list (definitive?) of the competing nations
1 - HUNGARY
2 - CYPRUS
3 - MOLDOVA
4 - SERBIA
5 - TURKEY
6 - SLOVENIA
7 - MONACO
8 - AUSTRIA
9 - SLOVAKIA
10 - FINLAND
11 - SWITZERLAND
12 - ANDORRA
13 - NORWAY
14 - MONTENEGRO
15 - LIECHTENSTEIN
16 - NETHERLANDS

So there's the return of the Netherlands but the absence of Iceland, Belarus and Estonia, who played last year.
Conference 1 and Conference 2 have been merged

Absent nations are Iceland, Belarus, Estonia, Malta, San Marino, Scotland, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Albania, Greece, Macedonia

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 03 Feb 2019, 04:10

Japan beat Wales in Challenge Trophy SF and that means Wales will be occupying the relegation spot after Sydney 7s... Still a long way to go, but this one could be the season when we see a British nation sink.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 20:01

The Grand Prix+Olympic Qualifying schedule appear different from what I wrote. Read the post in women's section, the process is the same for men

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=103294#p103294

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 23:19

Canalina wrote:So there's the return of the Netherlands but the absence of Iceland, Belarus and Estonia, who played last year.
Conference 1 and Conference 2 have been merged

I don't see anything official from Rugby Nederland about the return of the men's 7s team. It doesn't mean it's not happening though, information isn't always in huge supply round here.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TigerMonarchy » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 22:05

sk 88 wrote:From my perspective either:

GB should not be in the Olympics

OR

GB should play on the World Series.

Couldn't agree more.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 14:56

Canalina wrote:Common training in Naples on days 18-22 february between Italy, England, Ireland, France and Germany (Spain too was supposed to take part but according to the news published yesterday by the german federation they are no more in)

Apparently every team will play twice against any other team, more or less. Three games per nation on wednesday, three games on thursday and one or two games on friday

https://www.rugby-verband.de/wolfpack-t ... eapel-ita/

EDIT: no, according to this banner it will be an official tournament

Is this happening? Read that Italy had to cancel their training camp...
https://www.r1823.it/2019/02/11/tokyo-2 ... o-hRqxRAow

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 20:13

I'm almost sure it will go on.
This week's camp has been called off because next weekend there's a Top12 round and many clubs changed mind deciding to not concede their players to the 7s national team. But the week of the Napoli 7s will be without Top12 so probably all the players will be released.
The Napoli 7s will be not a proper tournament with a trophy, I suppose. England will miss the first day of games while Ireland and France will miss the last day, so Italy and Germany will play more games (8) than the other three nations (6)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Wed, 13 Feb 2019, 19:45

Cayman Islands confirmed as the host of the 2019 RAN Sevens, doubling as an Olympic qualifier. Applies to women too.

https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/cayman-i ... petitions/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 22:27

The 3-days Naples 7s starts tomorrow. The program seems confirmed

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 19 Feb 2019, 21:40

Some photos but no results from Naples 7s day one

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 1726634443

As already said it's not a proper tournament, being more a common stage with a series of games

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 08:44

Please check out our new website dedicated to sevens rugby - elite, provincial, club or amateur. If you have any stories for us, please feel free to suggest. Cheers.

https://www.planet7s.com

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 08:57

planet7s wrote:Please check out our new website dedicated to sevens rugby - elite, provincial, club or amateur. If you have any stories for us, please feel free to suggest. Cheers.

https://www.planet7s.com

Looks interesting.
You could write a preview about the Oktoberfest 7s taking place in Munich Olympic Stadium in september.
https://oktoberfest7s.com/en/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 09:24

Thanks RugbyLiebe

Will certainly follow up. At the moment, it's a one-person operation and part-time at that ... Thanks again

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 11:43

It seems a good website. I have still not read any article but the first side is good, it has a nice look. And a website dedicated to sevens is certainly welcome.
I wish you to keep it for a long time; I manage too a rugby website and I know how much fatiguing it could be (and I'm not alone on writing it). It needs a great passion.

Naples 7s, day one scores from www.vocedinapoli.it/2019/02/20/napoli-n ... l-rugby-7/

Irlanda-Italia 36-12
Francia-Germania 22-14
Germania-Italia 14-10
Irlanda-Francia 22-14
Irlanda-Germania 24-7
Italia-Francia 29-28

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 11:55

Hi Canalina

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, it's not easy doing it by yourself but I have a passion for sevens rugby and it is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Maybe we can help each other :)

Canalina wrote:It seems a good website. I have still not read any article but the first side is good, it has a nice look. And a website dedicated to sevens is certainly welcome.
I wish you to keep it for a long time; I manage too a rugby website and I know how much fatiguing it could be (and I'm not alone on writing it). It needs a great passion.

Naples 7s, day one scores from http://www.vocedinapoli.it/2019/02/20/n ... l-rugby-7/

Irlanda-Italia 36-12
Francia-Germania 22-14
Germania-Italia 14-10
Irlanda-Francia 22-14
Irlanda-Germania 24-7
Italia-Francia 29-28

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 17:50

I could suggest you to link the website to a facebook page, but it's a double-cut blade: the "readers" love the immediacy of facebook so it appears a good tool to attract people; but, for the same reason, they tend to avoid the website when it has a more quickly readable facebook page.
The same news receives 40 likes if I put it directly on the facebook post and 4 likes if it can be read only clicking the link to our website... :?

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 04:28

Yes, that's a good idea. I"m trying to figure out if there is a way I can automatically post on Facebook each time I publish a new story. Maybe one way is to use only links from the website on Facebook posts.

Canalina wrote:I could suggest you to link the website to a facebook page, but it's a double-cut blade: the "readers" love the immediacy of facebook so it appears a good tool to attract people; but, for the same reason, they tend to avoid the website when it has a more quickly readable facebook page.
The same news receives 40 likes if I put it directly on the facebook post and 4 likes if it can be read only clicking the link to our website... :?

National Flag:

Postby planet7s » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 06:15

I first went to this event in 1982 ... Hong Kong Sevens is still the biggest and the best!

https://planet7s.com/2019/02/21/40-team ... ualifiers/

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 09:59

planet7s wrote:Yes, that's a good idea. I"m trying to figure out if there is a way I can automatically post on Facebook each time I publish a new story. Maybe one way is to use only links from the website on Facebook posts.

Canalina wrote:I could suggest you to link the website to a facebook page, but it's a double-cut blade: the "readers" love the immediacy of facebook so it appears a good tool to attract people; but, for the same reason, they tend to avoid the website when it has a more quickly readable facebook page.

Is this Wordpress?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 10:21

You can post from the RSS to your facebook page with ifttt.com
It's free.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum