Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 08:59

Canalina wrote:I think it would be nice if they created a general (= men+women) ranking; hosting the last round of men's circuit and women's circuit on the same city they could award the men's trophy, the women's trophy and the general trophy in a sort of final fest.

What's the point? So if you are women's team isn't on the same level (maybe even not in the GPS) as the men's team (or vice versa) you are chanceless.
Imho a waste of ressources. I am happy if we survive one single season in European rugby without a major admin error before we introduce something like this.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 01:00

I agree with Canalina about integrating men's and women's sevens.

Moreover, I'd study having them play combined matches, for example having each team play two quarters alternating.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 11:30

Tobar wrote:
Tobar wrote:
welshdragon2000 wrote:80,000 tickets sold so far for the sevens World Cup, very good numbers considering this is taking place in a country where rugby isn't so well known

I heard 90,000 but that was also from The Guardian that admitted that they heard it was 90,000. I heard 100,000 is the main goal but even that wouldn't make us that much money.

Ignore that, official Twitter said 80,000

80,000 tickets seem not bad for a 42,000 seats stadium, if those tickets are daily tickets and not session ones (id est separated on morning, afternoon, evening).
More or less I expect those 80,000 to be divided in 15k on day one, 25k on day two, 40k on day three. It would mean to have the stadium full at least on final day, a big improvement after the "great desert" of Moscow 2013

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 11:34

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:
Euro 7s men+women GP standing

CHESS does same at their Olympics

The winner is given NONA GAPRINDA'SHVILI CUP

I keep liking the idea. It's simple but fair to me. Generally I like the competitions where men and women play for a common target. The idea of NabUru (matches with men and women playing alternatively portions of the same match) is a bit too far for me but a general ranking, in addition to the usual men's and women's rankings, would be good I think

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 12:18

Kenya have had to pull out of the Africa Youth Games 2018 Rugby 7s later this month in Algiers as the hoped for Government funding has failed to materialise.

Rugby teams that have confirmed participation in the Africa Youth Games are South Africa, Madagascar, DR Congo, Namibia, Senegal, Benin, Morocco, Burkina Faso, Tunisia and Algeria.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 15:40

IanCleverly wrote:The draw for the FISU World Rugby University Sevens Championships in Namibia was held just over a week ago

Men's

A) Namibia (hosts), Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Colombia
B) France, Argentina, Uganda, Zimbabwe
C) Australia, France, China, Botswana

Women's

A) Namibia (hosts), Canada, Australia, India
B) France, Belgium, Brazil, South Africa

Games are 12-14th July

Games taking place now (can't find any livestreaming but results are on facebook.com/swakop2018). Women's competition reduced to five, which included Namibia deciding not to have a Women's side (others being India and Canada).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 23:53

What's the point? So if you are women's team isn't on the same level (maybe even not in the GPS) as the men's team (or vice versa) you are chanceless.
Imho a waste of ressources. I am happy if we survive one single season in European rugby without a major admin error before we introduce something like this.

Combined rankings are a great way to promote more equality. You can have 3 rankings: men's, women's and combined. There as no resources involved, it is very simple.

I would use combined rankings (XV + 7s, men's + women's) to alocate World Rugby money and to make a proper and true tiers system (it might be fair to give different weights for each ranking because men's XV is the professional stuff, but there must be a combined ranking). We are in the 21st century, it is bizarre to only reward men seniors performance....
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 05:50

IanCleverly wrote:Games taking place now (can't find any livestreaming but results are on facebook.com/swakop2018). Women's competition reduced to five, which included Namibia deciding not to have a Women's side (others being India and Canada).

Day one results from https://www.facebook.com/swakop2018/

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 06:54

... a general ranking, in addition to the usual men's and women's rankings, would be good I think

Combined rankings are a great way to promote more equality.
You can have 3 rankings: men's, women's and combined.
There as no resources involved, it is very simple.

I would use combined rankings (XV + 7s, men's + women's) to alocate World Rugby money

EXACTLY :!:

DID it after RIO 2016 >> http://ovaluri.comxa.com/2016/Q8/14_7RIO.htm
(( at the very bottom of the page ))
the way GPS allocates points for 12-team tournaments, and got:

32 GBR, 30 NZL, 26 AUS FIJ, 18 FRA, 17 JPN,
16 CAN USA RSA, 11 SPN, 10 ARG, 5 BRZ, 4 KEN, 1 COL

@

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 13:57

Canalina wrote:
IanCleverly wrote:Games taking place now (can't find any livestreaming but results are on facebook.com/swakop2018). Women's competition reduced to five, which included Namibia deciding not to have a Women's side (others being India and Canada).

Day one results from https://www.facebook.com/swakop2018/

Confirms that Botswana also withdrew from the Men's side of the draw (Group C)

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 15:43

Olympic Games 2020 Qualification news. Is this worth a thread of it own? I haven't really kept in touch so I don't know what else is known.

La Côte d’Ivoire accueillera le championnat Régional d’Afrique de rugby à 7 (Régional 7’S). Une compétition pré-qualificative pour les Jeux Olympiques de 2020. Cette compétition qui rassemblera 10 pays (l’Algérie, le Burkina Faso, le Benin, La Côte d’Ivoire, la Guinée, le Mali, le Niger, le Nigeria, la Sierra Leone et le Togo), se déroulera du 15 au 16 septembre 2018 au Stade Robert Champroux de Marcory.

http://www.lintelligentdabidjan.info/ne ... septembre/

There must be a southern Zone too, since teams like Malawi, Lesotho, the two Congos etc are listed on the Rugby Afrique site but I can't find news of it.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 20:20

Asian Games pools. Nice to see Afghanistan back in the game; if I'm not wrong they disappeared from the rugby radar in the last two or three years. I've just read a book about the story of an afghan kid who escaped from Kabul to Italy (narrated by himself, now a graduated young man), I hope the life is a bit better over there now

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 21:22

Semifinals at the University World Championship should be
France v Australia
Namibia v South Africa

Or different coupling between the same four nations.
Games are live here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3LJj ... BjNGqznmEA

Tomorrow: women's semifinals at 12.20 CET, men's semifinals at 13.50, bronze and gold finals from 17.15

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 09:47

Canalina wrote:Asian Games pools. Nice to see Afghanistan back in the game; if I'm not wrong they disappeared from the rugby radar in the last two or three years. I've just read a book about the story of an afghan kid who escaped from Kabul to Italy (narrated by himself, now a graduated young man), I hope the life is a bit better over there now

I REALLY hate the 12 team format. Wish they would just do simple 16 team one. BUT I guess Asian Games is so huge (think it's got more sports and attending players and sports official than even the Olympics) that they have to cap the number of teams and players.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 11:24

Cheetahs squad for RWC 7s:

Ngoni Chibuwe, Connor Pritchard, Shingirai Hlanguyo, Stephan Hunduza(captain), Riaan O'Neil, Biselele Tshamala, Nelson Madida, Tarisai Mugariri, Tafadzwa Chitokwindo, Shayne Makombe, Body Rouse(captain), Kudakwashe Chiwanza

Coach: Gilbert Nyamutsamba

See https://www.newzimbabwe.com/boyd-rouse- ... ahs-squad/

Uganda http://www.ragahouse.com/news/item/kimo ... p-7s-squad
1. Desire Ayera, 2. Timothy Kisiga, 3. Aaron Ofoyrwoth, 4. Pius Ogena, 5. Byron Oketayot, 6. Adrian Kasito, 7. Solomon Okia, 9. James Odongo, 9 Michael Okorach, 10. Justin Kimono, 11. Philip Wokorach, 12. Ivan Magomu

Postby 4N » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 12:48

Jamaica have added a guy who runs the 100m in 10.02 seconds. Wow.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 14:13

4N wrote:Jamaica have added a guy who runs the 100m in 10.02 seconds. Wow.

Hope he can catch, pass and tackle too!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 15:15

Carlin Isles vs Warren Weir would be an interesting footrace

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 01:25

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
4N wrote:Jamaica have added a guy who runs the 100m in 10.02 seconds. Wow.

Hope he can catch, pass and tackle too!

There's no better defense than a strong attack!

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 16:41

Here's the Interview we did with USA 7s Player KeVon Williams: https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/lin ... -eagles-7s

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 18:47

Apparently all the 3 day passes for the RWC 7s have been sold out.

As for Wareen Weir, I’ll let you all know how he does next week in Colombia, I’ll be there ;)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 19:06

Tobar wrote:Apparently all the 3 day passes for the RWC 7s have been sold out.

As for Wareen Weir, I’ll let you all know how he does next week in Colombia, I’ll be there ;)

That's good news, should be a very good crowd for the event.

I also got this message in ticket selection: 'Due to high demand for this game we may not be able to seat you together but scattered seating may be available. Please check the box below if you would consider scattered seating'

Also, I didn't realise how expensive the tickets were, looks like this event is well on the way to being a success.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 20:20

People were saying that USAR might just break even or maybe lose money on this. Idk if that’s the case or anything about the finances. I can say that if we can host close to 100,000 fans in a stadium that can fit 42,000 fans at most (not even accounting for all the fans at the bars nearby) then it’s a huge success. I don’t care if this is 7s or if a ton of the fans attending are from outside the US. This can show that the US can and should host a big name rugby tournament and this will get people to start noticing.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 21:02

We're going to lose a good amount, the issue is not the ticket sales. Where you make money on an event like this is Sponsorship. Our Sponsorship is so far behind...but sold out would bring that risk a lot lower.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 04:08

Even if the format is shit a sold out event will go along way to showing WR whether the US can host the World Cup in the next 12 years.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum