Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Increase the RWC to 24 teams

National Flag:
ChileChile

Re: Increase the RWC to 24 teams

Postby ficcp » Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 19:00

The potential newcomers would have time enough (5 years) to improve their level, in order to avoid odd scorelines. The repechage could be used to select 2 or more teams and should be played at the end of 2026.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 21:27

dwpeate wrote:Do we think the expansion of the women's competition will encourage the men's to do the same? There was a few whopping victories last time between the 12 teams there (Canada 98-0 HK, NZ 121-0 HK France 72-14 Japan, Canada 52-0 Wales), surely that can't be an argument for not expanding the men's now?

You expect consistency and equality been men and women from RWC?

A bit like 7s they literally don't care so are happy for a fair processes. We are miles away from them getting into the head-space to think rationally about the Men's RWC. I would genuinely be delighted to be wrong.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 01 Dec 2020, 23:21

sk 88 wrote:
dwpeate wrote:Do we think the expansion of the women's competition will encourage the men's to do the same? There was a few whopping victories last time between the 12 teams there (Canada 98-0 HK, NZ 121-0 HK France 72-14 Japan, Canada 52-0 Wales), surely that can't be an argument for not expanding the men's now?

A bit like 7s they literally don't care so are happy for a fair processes. We are miles away from them getting into the head-space to think rationally about the Men's RWC. I would genuinely be delighted to be wrong.

It would be nice. Expect is possibly a bit strong of a word haha

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 01:49

We've got enough competitive teams for 24 now. The women really don't have the quality for 16 teams but the format they currently have for their world cup is not ideal either. Expansion to 16 in the WRWC is a necessary evil IMO, but neither situation is ideal as long as there is such a gulf in class between England, NZ and the rest.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 04:33

sk 88 wrote:

Reducing the number of auto-qualifiers to 8 needs to be on the table and passed. I would love if it was four.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 06:06

[/quote]

Reducing the number of auto-qualifiers to 8 needs to be on the table and passed. I would love if it was four.[/quote]

All very well to reduce the automatic qualifications , and am all for that , would actually prefer just the previous winners and the host to automatically qualify. But how would you do the qualification process ?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 16:57

Rebus wrote:

Reducing the number of auto-qualifiers to 8 needs to be on the table and passed. I would love if it was four.[/quote]

All very well to reduce the automatic qualifications , and am all for that , would actually prefer just the previous winners and the host to automatically qualify. But how would you do the qualification process ?[/quote]

Generally you would lean on many of the structures that are in place for qualification that the remaining teams have to go through. Or that World Rugby attempted to have teams go through (Good bye my sweet ARC).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 17:28

thatrugbyguy wrote:We've got enough competitive teams for 24 now. The women really don't have the quality for 16 teams but the format they currently have for their world cup is not ideal either. Expansion to 16 in the WRWC is a necessary evil IMO, but neither situation is ideal as long as there is such a gulf in class between England, NZ and the rest.

I would rather Canada improve their ability to compete then get a (free'er) ride to the World cup because the standard of qualifying was lowered. The new qualification process out of the America's should improve our standard of play as until now it was just expect that we would qualify. We have fallen to the depts of oblivion and non importance (what ex player now RC Executive has been around for the whole slide?) and moving through this next World Cup Cycle Canada will have a very hard time, USA is strong, Uruguay looks really good, and with Spain Romania being back it will strengthen the teams in the repechage.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 20:17

A longer qualyfing process, offering the possibility to participate to every RW member wiould increase the awareness and the atractivity of the game in the countries which is less developed and also in all the T2 countries.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum