Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Increase the RWC to 24 teams

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Increase the RWC to 24 teams

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 10:16

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Canalina wrote:I try to re-launch: do you think that a pool in Georgia within a Russian RWC is an impossible scenario?
I think it would help the russian bid and it would be a deserved reward for Georgia

And, what about a pool in Krasnoyarsk? It looks like the Russian bid is just for European Russia. How can Krasnoyarsk be left out?

1. Georgia. I think that Russia could offer Georgia to participate in this bid. Add Tbilisi and Batumi. But Georgia will 100% disagree because of politics.
2. Krasnoyarsk. Right. Without Krasnoyarsk, Russia's bid has no chance. I have already written to the Union that our bid cannot be made European. After France 2023, Europe won't be given a chance. Our bid must be Eurasian. Moreover, Krasnoyarsk is our main rugby center and about 50% of all Russian national team players.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 11:00

STMKY wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Canalina wrote:I try to re-launch: do you think that a pool in Georgia within a Russian RWC is an impossible scenario?
I think it would help the russian bid and it would be a deserved reward for Georgia

And, what about a pool in Krasnoyarsk? It looks like the Russian bid is just for European Russia. How can Krasnoyarsk be left out?

1. Georgia. I think that Russia could offer Georgia to participate in this bid. Add Tbilisi and Batumi. But Georgia will 100% disagree because of politics.
2. Krasnoyarsk. Right. Without Krasnoyarsk, Russia's bid has no chance. I have already written to the Union that our bid cannot be made European. After France 2023, Europe won't be given a chance. Our bid must be Eurasian. Moreover, Krasnoyarsk is our main rugby center and about 50% of all Russian national team players.

I completely agree. And the distances really shouldn't be an issue. Whether a world cup is in Australia, Russia or USA the tournament will be across several time zones. Krasnoyarsk would actually work well for a pool with a lot of Asia Pacific teams. 2019's Pool A would have worked well in Krasnoyarsk.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 11:05

The main issue with Krasnoyarsk will be the size of the stadium. Trend by 2027 indicates it will be hard to see any RWC game in a stadium of less than 30,000 or a Tier 1 in stadiums smaller than 50,000. It would be a nice touch if for example Russia played a PI in Krasnoyarsk, but other than that there aren't many possibilities.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 11:10

No Chances for WRC in Rusia in 2027. But definetely they are in for 2031.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 11:18

2023 France
2027 Australia
2031 Russia
2035 USA

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby Pedro1 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 12:14

Chester-Donnelly wrote:2023 France
2027 Australia
2031 Russia
2035 USA

I don't see Russia getting it that soon unless there's some shady FIFA-esque deal behind the scenes. Their national team has been inconsistent over the years and it isn't a particular strong economy like Japan or USA.

If there is suddenly a rugby boom in Russia and they do get it, for sure 2035 would be back to a traditional market or at least a European friendly timezone, so USA would have to sit out another WC cycle.

MLR has been growing quite well and showing stability, if USA rugby can get its shit together and Corona doesn't turn the country into a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I can see the USA hosting it in the next decade though.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 13:26

I wouldn't exactly call us a shoe-in to get the 2027 RWC. We've got so many problems domestically that the game wasn't in when we last hosted in 2003. From the late 90's to early 2000's the Wallabies were a consistent top 3 team in the world and were the biggest national winter sports team in the country. Super Rugby was at its peak and the game was in a healthy state which RWC 2003 capitalised on. Now, we've barely got enough players to fill the 5 professional clubs we have, the Wallabies no longer sell out matches, even against the All Blacks, and the game at the grass roots level has been neglected for years.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 13:54

thatrugbyguy wrote:I wouldn't exactly call us a shoe-in to get the 2027 RWC. We've got so many problems domestically that the game wasn't in when we last hosted in 2003. From the late 90's to early 2000's the Wallabies were a consistent top 3 team in the world and were the biggest national winter sports team in the country. Super Rugby was at its peak and the game was in a healthy state which RWC 2003 capitalised on. Now, we've barely got enough players to fill the 5 professional clubs we have, the Wallabies no longer sell out matches, even against the All Blacks, and the game at the grass roots level has been neglected for years.

Well at the moment it's between Australia and Russia so you'll get it. If South Africa bid for it they might get it not Australia.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 14:22

Armchair Fan wrote:They are not even trying to win this process, it's just a political marketing exercise. Which I applaud, by the way.

Exactly. It is zero chance. Unless they buy people :lol:

But it is important to bid now in order to show itself as future contenders.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 14:34

victorsra wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:They are not even trying to win this process, it's just a political marketing exercise. Which I applaud, by the way.

I have read that 2027 and 2031 will be chosen together next year. I think 2031 is the one Russia are going for. 2027 should be Southern Hemisphere so I think it will be between Australia and South Africa (if they bid).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 14:40

Realy? That puts Russia in the table.

I guess USA and Argentina have other urgent issues to take care.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:14

Armchair Fan wrote:The main issue with Krasnoyarsk will be the size of the stadium. Trend by 2027 indicates it will be hard to see any RWC game in a stadium of less than 30,000 or a Tier 1 in stadiums smaller than 50,000. It would be a nice touch if for example Russia played a PI in Krasnoyarsk, but other than that there aren't many possibilities.

Surely Russia's games would be in the biggest stadiums if they hosted the WC? If they can't fill a big stadium for a game with Russia they'd struggle for, say, Ireland Vs Scotland.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:19

Armchair Fan wrote:The main issue with Krasnoyarsk will be the size of the stadium. Trend by 2027 indicates it will be hard to see any RWC game in a stadium of less than 30,000 or a Tier 1 in stadiums smaller than 50,000. It would be a nice touch if for example Russia played a PI in Krasnoyarsk, but other than that there aren't many possibilities.

Still, rugby does not have such tough stadium capacity conditions as in football. Remember on any RWC there were stadiums with a capacity of 13-16 thousand. But I believe that Russia can build a new Central Stadium in Krasnoyarsk for 30-40 thousand seats for RWC2027. And it will be nice if the Opening Match with the participation of the Russian national team is in Krasnoyarsk. In Asia. And the final at Luzhniki in Moscow in Europe. The concept of the Eurasian RWC.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:22

Figaro wrote:

Surely Russia's games would be in the biggest stadiums if they hosted the WC? If they can't fill a big stadium for a game with Russia they'd struggle for, say, Ireland Vs Scotland.

Considering the amount of travelling fans that Ireland always gathers that would be the least of my concerns.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:22

STMKY wrote:

Still, rugby does not have such tough stadium capacity conditions as in football. Remember on any RWC there were stadiums with a capacity of 13-16 thousand. But I believe that Russia can build a new Central Stadium in Krasnoyarsk for 30-40 thousand seats for RWC2027. And it will be nice if the Opening Match with the participation of the Russian national team is in Krasnoyarsk. In Asia. And the final at Luzhniki in Moscow in Europe. The concept of the Eurasian RWC.

Have a look at the capacity of venues proposed for 2023. It would be at the limit and risky for a city so far away. Not impossible, but quite tricky.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:26

Guys, you are not taking into account Russia's strong trump card. Putin. Thanks to him, we were given the 2014 Olympics and the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Putin is a global top-level player. He has great respect even in the Anglo-Saxon countries. For example, a man like Bernie Ecclestone said that Putin should rule Europe.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:34

I think to build a new huge stadium in Krasnoyarsk for the Rugby World Cup would not be unreasonable. Or to build a big temporary stand on an existing stadium to be taken down afterwards. That sort of thing often happens for major world sporting events.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 15:47

It is arranged differently in Russia. Our sport is mainly dated by the state. Therefore, no one is demolishing new stadiums. It should also be borne in mind that Krasnoyarsk is a metropolis. And the new capital of Russia is very likely. In 5-7 years. The new capital of Russia will be located in South Siberia. Krasnoyarsk obviously has more advantages than Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and others.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 16:02

STMKY wrote:It is arranged differently in Russia. Our sport is mainly dated by the state. Therefore, no one is demolishing new stadiums. It should also be borne in mind that Krasnoyarsk is a metropolis. And the new capital of Russia is very likely. In 5-7 years. The new capital of Russia will be located in South Siberia. Krasnoyarsk obviously has more advantages than Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and others.

Then they should build a brand new stadium which in future can be used for big football and rugby games.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 16:44

STMKY wrote:

That's not how it works. WR dismissed 5 billion euros recently and rugby is barely able to introduce the massive Japanese market in its competitions. If you read other threads you should know how WR works.

The only way to have Russia elected now is bribing.

Guys, you are not taking into account Russia's strong trump card. Putin. Thanks to him, we were given the 2014 Olympics and the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Putin is a global top-level player. He has great respect even in the Anglo-Saxon countries. For example, a man like Bernie Ecclestone said that Putin should rule Europe.For example, a man like Bernie Ecclestone said that Putin should rule Europe.

Yes, I'm sure he wasn't just trying to take Russian money. He TRULY BELIEVES. Yes. Let's believe.

Damn, how easy is to manipulate you? You think like a 12 years old child... please, grow up....

It is arranged differently in Russia. Our sport is mainly dated by the state. Therefore, no one is demolishing new stadiums. It should also be borne in mind that Krasnoyarsk is a metropolis. And the new capital of Russia is very likely. In 5-7 years. The new capital of Russia will be located in South Siberia. Krasnoyarsk obviously has more advantages than Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and others.

Is this another naive fantasy or real news? Please, links.
Last edited by victorsra on Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 16:51, edited 4 times in total.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 16:45

At moment decision to move capital to Krasnoyarsk was made in a local crazy house.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 16:55

What is the biggest sport in Krasnoyarsk?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:03

Chester-Donnelly wrote:2023 France
2027 Australia
2031 Russia
2035 USA

Wont be to lesser nations in a row. When does South Africa get another shot? Argentina deserve a shot at it before the USA.

2027 Australia
2031 Ireland
2035 Argentina or South Africa
2039 the country left out of 2035 and or USA

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:05

victorsra wrote:

Beaumont was bought with votes so you never know.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:09

Chester-Donnelly wrote:What is the biggest sport in Krasnoyarsk?

Professional sports clubs in Krasnoyarsk Territory will be allocated 1.5 billion rubles in 2020 (20 765 614$).
In addition 2.5 billion rubles have been allocated for development of sports infrastructure.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum