Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Increase the RWC to 24 teams

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Increase the RWC to 24 teams

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:19

snapper37 wrote:Wont be to lesser nations in a row. When does South Africa get another shot? Argentina deserve a shot at it before the USA.

2027 Australia
2031 Ireland
2035 Argentina or South Africa
2039 the country left out of 2035 and or USA

First of all who gets right to host WC will determine countrys economy.

For example Kaliningrad this year was preparing for U18 European Championship for 2 year in a row. Rest simply do not have money for it.

Many countries will simply have no time for rugby, economic crisis will be long ... I mean Argentina and SA.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:26

If Russian rugby has money and believe it can draw public, the most logic steps for now is to follow Japan steps, create a strong national league and first of all do well in a RWC, achieving great exposition in Russian media. This will open doors.

People forget Japan's road to 2019 was a long one, with the country having one of the biggest number of rugby players in the world and domestic rugby drawing good attendances since mid-20th century. There is a long road ahead to create the proper enviroment. People that were surprised by Japan basicaly don't know T2 rugby.

For WR, even if Russia has money to host it, it would be a lost opportunity, because the Bears won't be like the Brave Blossoms in 4 years. You must a host nation that captures the public thinking about the long term of the sport. It would be much better for Russian rugby and World Rugby to have Russia hosting it by the 2030s, like USA.

Which means this bid must be understood as part of the learning path.

In fact, if Russian rugby is thinking in a long term, for Russia the best thing that can ever happen is some sort of world league. Japan, USA, Russia would be the biggest winners of a global structure. It would be wise for Russia to back it and offer to host the finals, for exemple. Not copy and paste Pichot's model, but create a logical one that offers a path for those big economies to impact rugby without needing to suffer trying to break in 6N/Sanzaar structures.
Last edited by victorsra on Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:28

First of all who gets right to host WC will determine countrys economy.

No, it isn't.

Market for rugby is different from national economy.

The first thing that determines who will win is WR politics. If you read other threads you'd know it. You don't have anyone to lobby in the WR Council now. You'll need to build this alliance before anything else. Russia isn't in 6N (not even close) or SANZAAR.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:36

Maybe it is so. But hosting WC means government investment.
And if countrys economy is in ass, then there will be no money.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 17:42

Russia needs to qualify for 2023 and then earn a seat and vote on the World Rugby council. I believe World Rugby should not award 2031 next year, just 2027. Countries cannot be expected to commit to hosting a rugby world cup with so much uncertainty.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 18:23

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Russia needs to qualify for 2023 and then earn a seat and vote on the World Rugby council. I believe World Rugby should not award 2031 next year, just 2027. Countries cannot be expected to commit to hosting a rugby world cup with so much uncertainty.

Well pointed! One more qualification and Russia is inside WR politics.
And I agree with you, 2031 is unlikely to be awarded right now due to the pandemics economic crisis. They'll probably review the process after 2021 election.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 18:31

Chester-Donnelly wrote:What is the biggest sport in Krasnoyarsk?

Traditionally Russian hockey #1. HC Enisey is one of the strongest clubs in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenisey_K ... Bandy_Club
But since the 90s, rugby began to compete with him. Largely due to the appearance of the Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar derby. Probably football #3, then it's hard to say Canadian hockey, volleyball, basketball and various winter sports.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 23:28

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Russia needs to qualify for 2023 and then earn a seat and vote on the World Rugby council. I believe World Rugby should not award 2031 next year, just 2027. Countries cannot be expected to commit to hosting a rugby world cup with so much uncertainty.

Very much so.

You just cannot predict the prevailing conditions in a country that far out, and you risk backing yourself into a corner.

I also find it unlikely that RWC will not go to a T1 country every other tournament, and certainly given the huge market in England and France I expect to see RWC fetching up at one of these two quite regularly for the foreseeable future. Just my hunch.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 00:05

jservuk wrote:

Very much so.

You just cannot predict the prevailing conditions in a country that far out, and you risk backing yourself into a corner.

I also find it unlikely that RWC will not go to a T1 country every other tournament, and certainly given the huge market in England and France I expect to see RWC fetching up at one of these two quite regularly for the foreseeable future. Just my hunch.

I was just thinking the same thing. I would not be at all surprised if the next three world cups were
2023 France
2027 Australia
2031 England

With 2035 going to USA or Russia.

Australia for 2027 is almost unopposed. 2031 World Rugby will be looking for stability and maximum revenue, which England can provide. 2035 is the earliest I can see another nation going for tier 1 status, and it will be USA and Russia vying to be the twelfth tier 1 nation. I do think Russia could host a successful rugby world cup in 2031 but I don't think they have the political influence within World Rugby to get enough support.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 02:43

victorsra wrote:If Russian rugby has money and believe it can draw public, the most logic steps for now is to follow Japan steps, create a strong national league and first of all do well in a RWC, achieving great exposition in Russian media. This will open doors.

People forget Japan's road to 2019 was a long one, with the country having one of the biggest number of rugby players in the world and domestic rugby drawing good attendances since mid-20th century. There is a long road ahead to create the proper enviroment. People that were surprised by Japan basicaly don't know T2 rugby.

For WR, even if Russia has money to host it, it would be a lost opportunity, because the Bears won't be like the Brave Blossoms in 4 years. You must a host nation that captures the public thinking about the long term of the sport. It would be much better for Russian rugby and World Rugby to have Russia hosting it by the 2030s, like USA.

Which means this bid must be understood as part of the learning path.

In fact, if Russian rugby is thinking in a long term, for Russia the best thing that can ever happen is some sort of world league. Japan, USA, Russia would be the biggest winners of a global structure. It would be wise for Russia to back it and offer to host the finals, for exemple. Not copy and paste Pichot's model, but create a logical one that offers a path for those big economies to impact rugby without needing to suffer trying to break in 6N/Sanzaar structures.

Japan 2019 really has to be the example every T2 nation needs to follow if they want to host RWC. Japan was originally favourite to host RWC 2011 but in the end I think losing to New Zealand was the best possible outcome, because had Japan hosted the world Cup in 2011 the national team would not have been as competitive as they are now, and I think the tournament would have suffered. I think the victory over South Africa in 2015 did a hell of a lot to make 2019 as big as it was, but there were victories over Wales, Italy and a draw against France too that helped with the build up. I think it's super important that any T2 nation, whether it's Russia, US, Canada, etc, who wants to host the World Cup needs to have a solid 7-8 year plan in place, and one that tries to aim for the same type of results as Japan. So lets say Russia hosts 2031, they would need to target at least one or two victories over a top 10 nation prior to the tournament, preferably a 6 Nations team or one of the Southern Hemisphere nations, and to target finishing top 3 in their Pool at RWC 2027.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 04:38

If they are looking at expanding the RWC to 24 teams it starts to rule out a number of T1 countries due to size of nation with its appropriate infrastructure and number of stadiums. Realitically for T1 nations , you would be looking at Australia , South Africa , Italy , England and France.
Providing World Rugby will still drive a large portion of its revenue from the World Cup , it is likely to be looking at 1 Europe WC then 1 non-Europe for the forseeable future until the game grows and the T2 nations who have the size of infrastructure and competitive game to capture their respective market are in place to host the game.
As France hold the WC in 2023 , for me its a toss up between England and Italy for 2031.
After that you might be looking at a new market or South Africa and it might come down to money at this stage. Agree with previous posts about needing a rugby market to generate public interest but also the commercial interest. Would be expecting USA to have an interest by 2035. By 2035 , you will be talking about nearly 20 years of MLR and there should be sufficient ground swell to make a Rugby World Cup happen.
Looking at the next T2 European market to be involved , I would have thought Spain was an option , solid rugby base , regularly top 20 in rankings , good record at sevens and the womens game. Also , has the stadiums and infrastructure to move about for a tournament of that size. But , they need to qualify for competions or start beating T1 nations to make that jump.
But going back to my original point , if you were to look at the size of nation (with infrastructure) and rugby popularity , in the top 30 nations in the world, T1 & T2 combined , there are frankly not a lot of countries who could host this by themselves.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 06:37

Armchair Fan wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:The main issue with Krasnoyarsk will be the size of the stadium. Trend by 2027 indicates it will be hard to see any RWC game in a stadium of less than 30,000 or a Tier 1 in stadiums smaller than 50,000. It would be a nice touch if for example Russia played a PI in Krasnoyarsk, but other than that there aren't many possibilities.

Surely Russia's games would be in the biggest stadiums if they hosted the WC? If they can't fill a big stadium for a game with Russia they'd struggle for, say, Ireland Vs Scotland.

Considering the amount of travelling fans that Ireland always gathers that would be the least of my concerns.

I remember seeing a statistic a while ago with numbers by country. Can't find it anymore or false memory. Would be interesting to see it.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 06:52

Rebus wrote:If they are looking at expanding the RWC to 24 teams it starts to rule out a number of T1 countries due to size of nation with its appropriate infrastructure and number of stadiums. Realitically for T1 nations , you would be looking at Australia , South Africa , Italy , England and France.

A bit of facts between all this guessing
FIFA World Cup 1990: number of teams 24 used stadiums 12
FIFA World Cup 1994: number of teams 24 used stadiums 9
FIFA World Cup 1998: number of teams 32 used stadiums 10
RWC World Cup 2011: number of teams 20 used stadiums 12
RWC World Cup 2015: number of teams 20 used stadiums 13
RWC World Cup 2019: number of teams 20 used stadiums 12

I do not see a single nation that would have been really able to host a 20-team-RWC (Ireland would have struggled massively on the hotel bed end) and not a 24-team-RWC.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 07:40

Rebus wrote:Looking at the next T2 European market to be involved , I would have thought Spain was an option , solid rugby base , regularly top 20 in rankings , good record at sevens and the womens game. Also , has the stadiums and infrastructure to move about for a tournament of that size. But , they need to qualify for competions or start beating T1 nations to make that jump.
But going back to my original point , if you were to look at the size of nation (with infrastructure) and rugby popularity , in the top 30 nations in the world, T1 & T2 combined , there are frankly not a lot of countries who could host this by themselves.

Spain already tried to bid for 2003 and didn't even make it to official bidding process.

We have got the infrastructure and current RWC window (late September to early November) is perfect for tourism but World Rugby is currently asking for guarantees north of 100 million. It's a big task to ask a cash-strapped government to make such an effort for a second-fiddle sport in the country.

Besides that, it's pretty clear the stadiums are in place and even clashes with LaLiga could be mitigated with the use of Montjuïc and La Cartuja as main rugby stadiums. In fact I even made once a fantasy RWC bid with six hubs all around the country for six pools (24 teams) so travelling fans don't need to move that much and some countries can be hosted where they have more commercial appeal.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 07:53

snapper37 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:2023 France
2027 Australia
2031 Russia
2035 USA

Wont be to lesser nations in a row. When does South Africa get another shot? Argentina deserve a shot at it before the USA.

2027 Australia
2031 Ireland
2035 Argentina or South Africa
2039 the country left out of 2035 and or USA

I don't think Ireland will host, unless it's co-hosting with Wales or (more likely) Scotland. The whole GAA thing never convinced enough people; their chance came and went and it will only get harder if the world cup expands.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 07:54

Russia will have no infrastructure problems for 24 teams. In our bid, I think there will be 14 stadiums (12 after FIFA2018) + Krasnoyarsk and Krasnodar. There is also a new stadium in Grozny and several stadiums in Moscow. But I think that Luzhniki and Spartak are enough for Moscow. If a new stadium is built in Krasnoyarsk instead of Central Stadium, then all stadiums of the Russian bid will be without running tracks. That is near the field.
Krasnodar, for some unknown reason, was not included in the application for FIFA2018. But they probably have the best infrastructure in Russia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afi09nPL0js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YN3f1fQKY

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 08:06

You realistically only need 10 stadiums whether it’s 20 or 24 teams. You could even get away with using 9. The issue is more about the stadium surfaces. Whenever Rugby is played on a pitch designed for football the turf usually gives way easily. All stadiums in Australia cater for the abuse rugby does to the field. This is not always the case in Europe from what I’ve seen. Whenever rugby is played in a primarily soccer stadium the players end up digging up the field easily, especially in rucks and scrums.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 08:10

On the contrary, our interest is to have more stadiums and cities. To make the tournament as accessible as possible for local residents. So that no city can be unhooked. I will say such a thing that some Muscovites do not want to see Krasnoyarsk in RWC2027 bid. They are just sloppy liberal idiots. Krasnyorsk its 50% of all Russian rugby. They don't like it. They think they are better.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 08:18

16 venues would be about 3 games in each stadium.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 08:48

This discussion highlights why tier 1 rugby needs to expand. There are probably only 5 tier 1 nations + Japan with the infrastructure and economy to host a rugby world cup. Add USA and Russia to that and we have a global sport.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 11:00

Armchair Fan wrote:
Rebus wrote:Looking at the next T2 European market to be involved , I would have thought Spain was an option , solid rugby base , regularly top 20 in rankings , good record at sevens and the womens game. Also , has the stadiums and infrastructure to move about for a tournament of that size. But , they need to qualify for competions or start beating T1 nations to make that jump.

Spain already tried to bid for 2003 and didn't even make it to official bidding process.

We have got the infrastructure and current RWC window (late September to early November) is perfect for tourism but World Rugby is currently asking for guarantees north of 100 million. It's a big task to ask a cash-strapped government to make such an effort for a second-fiddle sport in the country.

Besides that, it's pretty clear the stadiums are in place and even clashes with LaLiga could be mitigated with the use of Montjuïc and La Cartuja as main rugby stadiums. In fact I even made once a fantasy RWC bid with six hubs all around the country for six pools (24 teams) so travelling fans don't need to move that much and some countries can be hosted where they have more commercial appeal.

This would be my plan for a RWC in Spain:
Central hub - Argentina/New Zealand
- Santiago Bernabéu - Madrid - 82,000 seats
- Wanda Metropolitano - Madrid - 68,456 seats
- Nuevo José Zorrilla - Valladolid - 27,618 seats

Catalan hub - New Zealand/England/Ireland
- Camp Nou - Barcelona - 99,354 seats
- Montjuïc - Barcelona - 55,926 seats
- Cornellà-El Prat - Barcelona - 40,000 seats
- La Romareda - Zaragoza - 33,608 seats

Cantabrian hub - France
- San Mamés - Bilbao - 53,289 seats
- Anoeta - San Sebastián - 39,500 seats
- El Sadar - Pamplona - 23,576 seats
- El Sardinero - Santander - 22,222 seats

Celtic hub - Scotland/Wales
- Riazor - A Coruña - 32,912 seats
- Carlos Tartiere - Oviedo - 30,500 seats
- El Molinón - Gijón - 30,000 seats
- Balaídos - Vigo - 29,000 seats

Valencian hub - Ireland/England/Wales
- Nou Mestalla - Valencia - 61,500 seats
- Martínez Valero - Elche - 33,732 seats
- José Rico Pérez - Alicante - 29,500 seats
- Ciutat de València - Valencia - 26,354 seats

Andalusian hub - Ireland/England
- La Cartuja - Sevilla - 60,000 seats
- Benito Villamarín - Sevilla - 60,721 seats
- Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán - Sevilla - 43,000 seats
- La Rosaleda - Málaga - 30,044 seats

La Cartuja and Montjuïc would support the weight of most of knockout rounds with two games each, with Camp Nou and Bernabéu only used for big games (inaugural, semis, final) in order to avoid too many clashes with football.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 11:14

Armchair Fan wrote:Andalusian hub - Ireland/England

La Cartuja and Montjuïc would support the weight of most of knockout rounds with two games each, with Camp Nou and Bernabéu only used for big games (inaugural, semis, final) in order to avoid too many clashes with football.

Just stumpled about La Cartuja, as couldn't remember it. There were already rugby games being played there. Was it a one off?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SxYRiw9jHY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_d ... r_2016.jpg

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 11:26

It was a one off because the rugby pitch near the big stadium wasn't ready for a game that had to be played in advance due to El Salvador's Continental Shield commitments.

But it isn't fully abandoned anymore. Spanish football federation signed a deal to host Cup finals there for the next four years. And as much as I hate to remove athletics tracks (I love all sports and this stadium was built for athletics world championships), it is obviously good for rugby.

P.S: I'm in that photo

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 13:26

Armchair Fan wrote:
This would be my plan for a RWC in Spain:
Central hub - Argentina/New Zealand
- Santiago Bernabéu - Madrid - 82,000 seats
- Wanda Metropolitano - Madrid - 68,456 seats
- Nuevo José Zorrilla - Valladolid - 27,618 seats

Catalan hub - New Zealand/England/Ireland
- Camp Nou - Barcelona - 99,354 seats
- Montjuïc - Barcelona - 55,926 seats
- Cornellà-El Prat - Barcelona - 40,000 seats
- La Romareda - Zaragoza - 33,608 seats

Cantabrian hub - France
- San Mamés - Bilbao - 53,289 seats
- Anoeta - San Sebastián - 39,500 seats
- El Sadar - Pamplona - 23,576 seats
- El Sardinero - Santander - 22,222 seats

Celtic hub - Scotland/Wales
- Riazor - A Coruña - 32,912 seats
- Carlos Tartiere - Oviedo - 30,500 seats
- El Molinón - Gijón - 30,000 seats
- Balaídos - Vigo - 29,000 seats

Valencian hub - Ireland/England/Wales
- Nou Mestalla - Valencia - 61,500 seats
- Martínez Valero - Elche - 33,732 seats
- José Rico Pérez - Alicante - 29,500 seats
- Ciutat de València - Valencia - 26,354 seats

Andalusian hub - Ireland/England

Jeez, that's a lot of stadiums.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 14:10

Stadiums are far from being an issue. It doesn't matter the number of stadiums you have. It is possible to host a 24-teams World Cup with 8 or 9 stadiums.

The only relevant questions are: whose butts will sit in the stadiums (public) and who owns the stadiums. If people payed attention to scheduling in all RWCs it is clear some venues host all their matches in the same short period, because of soccer fixtures. The number of stadiums depend on how much time is it possible to have the stadium available. The more time you need a stadium to be soccer-free, more it will cost, for exemple.

Lets remember NZ hosted a RWC with only 2 stadiums with more than 40k (originaly only 3 were planned).

The number of stadiums available itself is absolutely secondary. This is not FIFA.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum