Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Poland - looking ahead

Posts: 456
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 17 Sep 2019, 14:04

http://pzrugby.pl/news/aktualnosc/Noweb ... Rugby,5452

This article talks about major outsiders in Ekstraliga. Major outsiders players :
Siedlce: Patelesio Sili (TON, international)

Warsawsza : Vaha Halaifonua (TON), Violetti Kolo (TON, 7's international)

Gdansk : Irakli Tsivtsivadze (GEO)

Sochaczew : Sandro Jeli (GEO ? coming from NZ), Razhden Bagatur (GEO)

Sopot : Vian Riekert (RSA), Dwayne Burrows (NZ)

Krakow : four players from Venezuela !

They say about 30 georgians are playing in Poland (some 20 in Ekstraliga).
And various SA players ... look like there's some nice semi-pro setup there :) Games are broadcast live on Polish TV (Polsat Sport Fight) :

Schedule of September broadcasts on Polsat Sport Fight:
09/01/2019
RC Orkan Sochaczew v KS Budowlani Lublin, at 13.45
09/08/2019
MKS Ogniwo Sopot v Master Pharm Rugby Łódź, at 16.00
09/14/2019
MKS Pogoń Awenta Siedlce v MKS Ogniwo Sopot, at 15.00
09/29/2019
Master Pharm Rugby Łódź v MKS Pogoń Awenta Siedlce, hours. 16.00




Championships will be played at 9 this season, back on a summer-spring season.
The next year the championship will be played by 8.
Goal is to become fully pro in short term.

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 18:51

Some news from the Polish Ekstraliga.

The autumn round ended a week ago. Unfortunately, just before the start one of the clubs withdrew - KS Budowlani Łódź (there were two clubs in the Ekstraliga with almost identical names - few months ago KS Budowlani Łódź forced the other, Budowlani SA Łódź, to change the name). But there is also good news. Compared to the previous season, the level has risen: although the medalists from the previous season are in the first three places, the games are more even, there are much less very high results, and there are some surprises. Rugby Łódź (former Budowlani SA Łódź, runner-up from the previous season) won all its games. Champion, Ogniwo Sopot, ranks 2nd with two defeats. The big surprise is fourth in the table Juvenia Kraków - although many young players play there (last year in five categories of youth games in Poland, Juvenia won four gold medals and one silver) few weeks ago they defeated the champions (Ogniwo Sopot). The level is certainly raised by reinforcements from around the world: in addition to mentioned in the post above, there are two Kenyans in Orkan Sochaczew (including Chisanga, who played Newcastle Falcons two years ago) and four players from Naka Bulls (South African Gold Cup) in Juvenia. The clubs are financing together the television broadcasts - there is shown one game from each weekend (although on a channel available only on cable television, of low popularity, but it is a great step forward). Some teams are also broadcasting games on YouTube or Facebook. There are some disagreements between the clubs and the Polish Rugby Union (e.g. according to clubs, PZR doesn't promote the league enough, the decision to reduce the league to 8 teams since next season is also questioned).

Mid-season table (after 8 games each):
Position / club - points (w-d-l)
1 MasterPharm Rugby Łódź - 37 pts (8-0-0)
2 Ogniwo Sopot - 30 pts (6-0-2)
3 Pogoń Awenta Siedlce - 30 pts (6-0-2)
4 Juvenia Kraków - 25 pts (5-0-3)
5 Skra Warszawa - 20 pts (4-0-4)
6 Lechia Gdańsk - 17 pts (3-0-5)
7 Orkan Sochaczew - 14 pts (3-0-5)
8 Budowlani Lublin - 5 pts (1-0-7)
9 Arka Gdynia - 1 pt (0-0-8)

User avatar
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby iul » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 19:41

Grzegorz B. wrote:Some news from the Polish Ekstraliga.

The autumn round ended a week ago. Unfortunately, just before the start one of the clubs withdrew - KS Budowlani Łódź (there were two clubs in the Ekstraliga with almost identical names - few months ago KS Budowlani Łódź forced the other, Budowlani SA Łódź, to change the name). But there is also good news. Compared to the previous season, the level has risen: although the medalists from the previous season are in the first three places, the games are more even, there are much less very high results, and there are some surprises. Rugby Łódź (former Budowlani SA Łódź, runner-up from the previous season) won all its games. Champion, Ogniwo Sopot, ranks 2nd with two defeats. The big surprise is fourth in the table Juvenia Kraków - although many young players play there (last year in five categories of youth games in Poland, Juvenia won four gold medals and one silver) few weeks ago they defeated the champions (Ogniwo Sopot). The level is certainly raised by reinforcements from around the world: in addition to mentioned in the post above, there are two Kenyans in Orkan Sochaczew (including Chisanga, who played Newcastle Falcons two years ago) and four players from Naka Bulls (South African Gold Cup) in Juvenia. The clubs are financing together the television broadcasts - there is shown one game from each weekend (although on a channel available only on cable television, of low popularity, but it is a great step forward). Some teams are also broadcasting games on YouTube or Facebook. There are some disagreements between the clubs and the Polish Rugby Union (e.g. according to clubs, PZR doesn't promote the league enough, the decision to reduce the league to 8 teams since next season is also questioned).

Mid-season table (after 8 games each):
Position / club - points (w-d-l)
1 MasterPharm Rugby Łódź - 37 pts (8-0-0)
2 Ogniwo Sopot - 30 pts (6-0-2)
3 Pogoń Awenta Siedlce - 30 pts (6-0-2)
4 Juvenia Kraków - 25 pts (5-0-3)
5 Skra Warszawa - 20 pts (4-0-4)
6 Lechia Gdańsk - 17 pts (3-0-5)
7 Orkan Sochaczew - 14 pts (3-0-5)
8 Budowlani Lublin - 5 pts (1-0-7)
9 Arka Gdynia - 1 pt (0-0-8)

What kind of budgets do the clubs have and where do they get the money from?

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 20:49

iul wrote:What kind of budgets do the clubs have and where do they get the money from?


Ekstraliga is unprofessional, only some players get a small salary (supposedly the highest is a few thousand PLN, when a minimum salary in Poland is PLN 2,250). The three best clubs have budgets reportedly of around PLN 1,000,000 (i.e. around EUR 230,000).

Only one club operates as a public limited company (Rugby Łódź) and its financial data are available - in 2018 it had revenues about PLN 1,580,000 (i.e. higher than estimated). Their revenue structure: 62.8% - subsidies (I assume mainly local government), 36.4% - sale of promotional services (sponsors), 0.8% - tickets. But this is a special case, this club doesn't train youth, doesn't own an infrastructure and all players have contracts (total salaries - PLN 950,000 - 6 employees, 40 player with contracts, plus temporarily over 10 players and some staff for matches). So this is probably not representative...

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Fri, 06 Mar 2020, 17:52

Good news from Poland, next round of Polish rugby Ekstraliga to watch on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb9k8L ... EQIkk5Lpow

Schedule:
8.03.2020, 14:00 CET - Juvenia Kraków - Skra Warszawa
14.03.2020, 15:00 CET - Master Pharm Rugby Łódź - Ogniwo Sopot
4.04.2020, 16:00 CET - Ogniwo Sopot - Awenta Pogoń Siedlce
11.04.2020, 12:00 CET - Skra Warszawa - Ogniwo Sopot
3.05.2020, ? - Lechia Gdańsk - Orkan Sochaczew
10.05.2020, 15:00 CET - Juvenia Kraków - Lechia Gdańsk
16.05.2020, 17:00 CET - Master Pharm Rugby Łódź - Orkan Sochaczew
23.05.2020, 15:00 CET - Juvenia Kraków - Master Pharm Rugby Łódź
30.05.2020, 14:00 CET - Arka Gdynia - Edach Budowlani Lublin
30.05.2020, 17:00 CET - Ogniwo Sopot - Lechia Gdańsk
31.05.2020, 15:00 CET - Awenta Pogoń Siedlce - Juvenia Kraków

First transmission the day after tomorrow, on Sunday. I invite you to watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJnHgzedPA), I will be in the stands :)

Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon, 21 Apr 2014, 08:23
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby beber » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 16:46

Ukraine flanker Vitaly Orlov signed for Lechia Gdansk
Very strong signing for this league IMO, Orlov was a regular starter for Enisei, winning 6 russian championship with them + 2 Continental Shields and played 22 Challenge Cup games (started 16). Last year moved to VVA Podmoskovye

Online
Posts: 7895
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:26

https://www.eurolympic.org/malopolska-r ... s-in-2023/

Krakow will host the 2023 European Games. Maybe this time finaly rugby sevens will debut in the Games? Sevens is already part of the Asian Games and the Pan-American Games, it seems logical.

“We will follow the strategy defined in Olympic Agenda 2020 and,” EOC President Janez Kocijančič said. “That means we will determine the core sports and then discuss with the organisers which other sports to include, with emphasis on those offering Olympic qualifications and European Championships.”


Also logical if Rugby Europe used the European Games as 2024 Olympics Qualy.... saves money and gives better viewing than Grand Prix tournaments....

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:44

victorsra wrote:Krakow will host the 2023 European Games. Maybe this time finaly rugby sevens will debut in the Games? Sevens is already part of the Asian Games and the Pan-American Games, it seems logical.


Rugby is mentioned among the disciplines planned to be played. It could be played at the Cracovia stadium (https://dziennikpolski24.pl/premier-mor ... 1-14591351). But nothing is still for sure.

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 14:04

Live now (started 16:00 CET/14:00 GMT) - final of Polish Cup of Extraligue Teams, Ogniwo Sopot - Juvenia Kraków.

https://youtu.be/v_ZrcSkWiKI

Not all teams from Extraligue took part in this competition. Both teams played in autumn probably the best game in Extraligue in this season, but now both are a bit weakened.

Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 19:09
National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Barzel » Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 19:15

Grzegorz B. wrote:Live now (started 16:00 CET/14:00 GMT) - final of Polish Cup of Extraligue Teams, Ogniwo Sopot - Juvenia Kraków.

https://youtu.be/v_ZrcSkWiKI

Not all teams from Extraligue took part in this competition. Both teams played in autumn probably the best game in Extraligue in this season, but now both are a bit weakened.


I was actually at that game, but too bad Juvenia lost this final, they looked off while Ogniwo were very good.
Glad to see that the games will be broadcasted on YouTube at least, do boju Juvenia!

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Wed, 15 Jul 2020, 21:32

Barzel wrote:I was actually at that game, but too bad Juvenia lost this final, they looked off while Ogniwo were very good.
Glad to see that the games will be broadcasted on YouTube at least, do boju Juvenia!


It was very disappointing game (not only from Kraków's point of view). But as a antidote we can watch their autumn game: https://www.ipla.tv/wideo/sport/Rugby/1 ... eb77524c1a :)

Posts: 39
Joined: Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 22:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Loohr » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 06:59

Ekstraliga will start new season this week, it seem some game can be seen for free on Youtube (Master Pharm Rugby Łódź - Sparta Jarocin this week)



Clubs announced on their Facebook page some players coming in :

Ross Bennie Coulson, dutch international hooker, join promoted team Sparta Jarocin

Dainius Tamoliunas, lithuanian international center join Arka Gdynia from Vairas-Kalvis-Jupoja.

Four players announced by Budowlani Lublin :
Smilko Debrenliev, bulgarian international center (He already play in Wales, France, England, Netherlands, Spain and Portugal)
Royal Roger Mwale, zimbabwean international hooker
Daniel Tomanek, scottish player, but available for Poland with grand parents
James Allen, english player

User avatar
Posts: 6146
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Canalina » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 07:43

The ten Ekstraliga clubs

Image

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 11 Dec 2018, 18:41
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Grzegorz B. » Sat, 15 Aug 2020, 15:12

Loohr wrote:Clubs announced on their Facebook page some players coming in :

Ross Bennie Coulson, dutch international hooker, join promoted team Sparta Jarocin

Dainius Tamoliunas, lithuanian international center join Arka Gdynia from Vairas-Kalvis-Jupoja.

Four players announced by Budowlani Lublin :
Smilko Debrenliev, bulgarian international center (He already play in Wales, France, England, Netherlands, Spain and Portugal)
Royal Roger Mwale, zimbabwean international hooker
Daniel Tomanek, scottish player, but available for Poland with grand parents
James Allen, english player


Few other foreign signigns:
Orkan Sochaczew - three players with Argentinian roots, amont them Miguel Julio Leiger (Italian passport, last season in Rovigo, but if stats I have seen are correct, he played there only 3 games - 64 minutes).
Rugby Łódź - Nika/Nikoloz Gigauri from Armazi (he played for Georgia in 7s)

Two players from UK with Polish roots, which played for Poland against Netherlands this winter:
Tomasz Pozniak (Bristol University) in Ogniwo Sopot
Dawid Rubasniak (Ebbw Vale, ex Dragons Academy) in Budowlani Lublin
(probably temporary, until their leagues starts)

Some transfers between polish clubs:
Paul Walters (SA) from Rugby Łódź to Ogniwo Sopot (for several seasons he was the best scorer in the league, one of the leaders of the team, that three times in a row was champion)
Paweł Gdula (Poland, 15 caps) from Rugby Łódź to Skra Warszawa (best scorer in previous season)
Jonathan O'Neill (SA) from Juvenia Kraków to Skra Warszawa
Brendon Venter (SA) from Juvenia Kraków to Lechia Gdańsk

Two good players are going abroad:
Patryk Reksulak (12 caps) from Master Pharm Rugby Łódź to Yverdon (Switzerland) (there comes Kacper Ławski from France too)
Grzegorz Szczepański (15 caps, one of the best try-scorers in the league) from Pogoń Siedlce somewhere to England

User avatar
Posts: 6146
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Canalina » Sun, 30 Aug 2020, 08:34

In the first round of the Ekstraliga the team of Ogniwo Sopot fielded in the starting XV Marcin and Wiktor Wilczuk, father (43) and son (18). Marcin is a prop, Wiktor a third line flanker. In the second half the coach entered also Mariusz Wilczuk, brother of Marcin and uncle of Wiktor; he plays scrumhalf/centre and he scored a try in that match.
Sopot is now leading the Ekstraliga after three rounds

Image

Posts: 1490
Joined: Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 16:02
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby STMKY » Sun, 30 Aug 2020, 09:28

Why shouldn't the Poles invite some of the club of the Russian PRO League on a tour of Poland? For example, Slava or CSKA. They didn't make the playoffs, and it's too early to go on vacation. I think they will have a vacation in November. September and October they will continue training. Play 3 games (Warsaw, Lodz and Troimyasto). And next year, maybe the Polish champion will be able to tour Russia. We are neighbors, the distances are close, why not use it?

User avatar
Posts: 5789
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 30 Aug 2020, 09:43

Spartak Moscow traveled to Poland a few years ago and lost big in Poznan 7 - 102 .

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Xwr3mIhdl ... e=ig_embed
Image

Posts: 1490
Joined: Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 16:02
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby STMKY » Sun, 30 Aug 2020, 12:56

Well, this is the level of amateur teams. Looks like it was a rugby game between football fans of Spartak and Lech.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], victorsra and 9 guests