Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Fiji Rugby

User avatar
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby 4N » Mon, 04 May 2020, 03:14

The election of Bernard Laporte yesterday as World Rugby vice-chairman augurs well for Fiji.

The always outspoken Laporte has big plans for the Fiji Airways Flying Fijians building up to the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.

The French Rugby president has plans in the pipeline to improve Fiji Rugby.

And included in the rugby engagements is the annual internationals against France or the French Barbarians starting in November.

Our national teams, right from the Under-20, will camp with their French counterparts with expenses to be paid by French Rugby.

Fiji Airways Flying Fijians new head coach Vern Cotter is believed to be supportive of shifting the training base to France as a lot of our Fijian players play in the Top 14 competition.


https://fijisun.com.fj/2020/05/04/elect ... -for-fiji/

Posts: 499
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 05 May 2020, 02:53

So if Fiji v Georgia the new Rugby Cold War? Each representing the opposite hemisphere.

User avatar
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby 4N » Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 15:57

So Fiji are assembling a coaching team that would be the envy of some T1 nations. The timing of Cotter’s hiring and the 8 Nations tournament could end up working out very well for them. If they can get players like Alex Hodgman and George Bower to commit and give them some depth up front they could really become a force.

https://fijisun.com.fj/2020/07/31/fiji- ... hing-team/

Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 16:12

4N wrote:So Fiji are assembling a coaching team that would be the envy of some T1 nations. The timing of Cotter’s hiring and the 8 Nations tournament could end up working out very well for them. If they can get players like Alex Hodgman and George Bower to commit and give them some depth up front they could really become a force.

https://fijisun.com.fj/2020/07/31/fiji- ... hing-team/


This is all very good news for Fiji. But the critical thing is for Fijian Latui to be in a high level competition, maybe Super Rugby, maybe GRR. Without that Cotter will have more centres and wings than he needs but barely enough tight 5, scrum halves and fly halves to form a team.

Posts: 2397
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 01 Aug 2020, 09:33

Skipper Cup has started, anyone watching any of it or got links to highlights etc?

Posts: 200
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 09:57

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby armchair_expert » Sat, 01 Aug 2020, 11:42


Posts: 43
Joined: Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 04:38
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Rebus » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 02:16

Does the Fiji Drua team still exist ?

Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 05:50

Rebus wrote:Does the Fiji Drua team still exist ?


Hope so. Would really like to see them playing in SR Au next season.

Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 07:19

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Rebus wrote:Does the Fiji Drua team still exist ?


Hope so. Would really like to see them playing in SR Au next season.


Fiji Drua is the team that plays in the NRC. If there is a Fiji team in SR Au that would more likely be Fijian Latui.

Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 08:45

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
Rebus wrote:Does the Fiji Drua team still exist ?


Hope so. Would really like to see them playing in SR Au next season.


Fiji Drua is the team that plays in the NRC. If there is a Fiji team in SR Au that would more likely be Fijian Latui.


They're essentially the same squad. Don't care under what banner. I want them in SR Au. Manuma Samoa as well if possible.

Posts: 43
Joined: Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 04:38
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Rebus » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 11:54

Sounds good , do they have a strong coaching team as well ?

Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 12:32

Rebus wrote:Sounds good , do they have a strong coaching team as well ?


It would be the same coaching team as the national team wouldn't it?

Posts: 3697
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 12:34

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Rebus wrote:Sounds good , do they have a strong coaching team as well ?


It would be the same coaching team as the national team wouldn't it?


It would surprise me, if the recently unanounced coaching staff wouldn't be only for the upcoming 6+2 nations tournament.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 13:16

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Rebus wrote:Sounds good , do they have a strong coaching team as well ?


It would be the same coaching team as the national team wouldn't it?


It would surprise me, if the recently unanounced coaching staff wouldn't be only for the upcoming 6+2 nations tournament.


Cotter is there to coach Fiji through to the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

Posts: 3697
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 13:40

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Rebus wrote:Sounds good , do they have a strong coaching team as well ?


It would be the same coaching team as the national team wouldn't it?


It would surprise me, if the recently unanounced coaching staff wouldn't be only for the upcoming 6+2 nations tournament.


Cotter is there to coach Fiji through to the 2023 Rugby World Cup.


re-read your own question.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 774
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 20:31
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Figaro » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 20:41

fimes59042 wrote:Wales are desperate to block Fiji joining new Six Nations after what they did to them at the World Cup


What?

Fiji haven't beaten Wales since 2007. They've beaten France, Italy and Scotland since.

(Also Wales and Fiji have drawn each other every WC since 2007, and Wales won them all since then, including 66-0 in 2011). So why would Wales particularly fear Fiji?

I don't think many of us would want Fiji to join the 6N because it makes a mockery of the idea of it being s European tournament. I don't think anyone has a problem with them playing in the one off 8N.
Last edited by Figaro on Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 590
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 21:16

fimes59042 wrote:Wales are desperate to block Fiji joining new Six Nations after what they did to them at the World Cup



At least there's talk of allowing them in. I don't see NZ offering to allow them in any of their domestic or international turnies. The AB's just like to rob them of the talent.

Posts: 8075
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 23:06

fimes59042 wrote:Wales are desperate to block Fiji joining new Six Nations after what they did to them at the World Cup

Which Six Nations? Fiji was never offered a 6N spot. The November 8-Nations tournament is a one-time thing. There was never doubt about this, only misunderstanding.

Posts: 374
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 08:36
National Flag:
FijiFiji

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Warpath » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 01:15

having a shitty coach is the reason why fiji hasn't beaten wales, england or Ireland the last 6 years, that has changed with new more apt and capable coach, Wales is easy for us to beat, its just we have never made the right substitutions or in time under the last coach

Posts: 31
Joined: Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 16:26
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 12:39

Will Fiji get any warmup games before they start their 8 nations matches? Barbarians maybe?

Posts: 43
Joined: Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 22:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Loohr » Sun, 13 Sep 2020, 09:16

Two players available for Fiji but born in New Zealand are now in All Black squad (Hoskins Sotutu, Alex Hodgman)

https://www.fijivillage.com/sports/Fiji ... nt-r58x4f/

Today, in the Australian squad for Rugby Championship, they select a new fijian born player Filipo Daugunu.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/dave-ren ... d-players/

Posts: 374
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 08:36
National Flag:
FijiFiji

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Warpath » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 01:15

i will be broadcasting the skipper cup today between Namosi and Nadroga here http://walesi.rf.gd/fbcsports.html
Image

Posts: 43
Joined: Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 22:53
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby Loohr » Mon, 12 Oct 2020, 07:39

Fijian squad for automn test match + Confirmation of warm up match vs Portugal on 6 november. This match should be played in Limoges France where Fijian will train during the month.

https://www.fijirugby.com/latest-news/2 ... tions-cup/

LOOSEHEAD PROP

Eroni Mawi, Peni Ravai, Haereiti Hetet

HOOKER

Mesulame Dolokoto, Sam Matavesi, Tevita Ikanivere,

TIGHTHEAD PROP

Samuela Tawake, Mesake Doge, Jone Koroiduadua,

SECOND ROW

Tevita Ratuva, Leone Nakarawa, Temo Mayanavanua, Chris Minimbi,

BACK ROW / UTILITY

Mesulame Kunavula, Kitione Kamikamica, Johnny Dyer, Albert Tuisue, Manueli Ratuniyarawa, Lekima Tagitagivalu,

HALFBACK

Frank Lomani, Peni Matawalu, Simione Kuruvoli,

FLYHALF

Ben Volavola, Tuidraki Samusamuvodre

CENTER

Semi Radradra, Lepani Botia, Serupepeli Vularika, Jale Vatubua, Waisea Nayacalevu

WINGER

Nemani Nadolo, Josua Tuisova,

FULLBACK

Kini Murimurivalu

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests