Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 24 Jan 2020, 14:35

RugbyLiebe wrote:I am really, really curious about this as I truely think this discussion is close to the root of all problems rugby has.
Why even bring up the next option, North Harbour, when
a) they have consistently bad numbers in the Mitre10
b) they are located a 20-minute-drive from Eden Park and the Blues also do not have an attendance to be proud of
c) this was not about who has the best and most players, but where you can generate growth in the game
Is it really just because of traditionalism and a slight xenophobic attitude?

Apart from that:
Are Pacific islanders really a factor when it comes to attendance figures? I would guess: yes, but I am not 100% sure about it, as this is said all the time, but I've never seen massive turn-outs due to more Islanders than they are regularly playing in a team anyway.

This is not about traditionalism or xenophobia. It's the reality of geography, demographics and economics. Everyone wants rugby to thrive in the region, and if Fiji, Samoa and Tonga can have professional rugby teams they will have a better chance of having competitive teams in the world cup, which makes it more exciting for everyone. But the reality is that professional rugby in Fiji and Samoa is not sustainable without having interest and income from larger economies. Maybe even then it isn't sustainable but they should at least be given a chance.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Thesjhughes » Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 04:07

According to this Facebook site that the team Asian team is the Shanghai Lions https://www.facebook.com/globalrugbyasi ... 81/?type=3

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 09:35

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:I am really, really curious about this as I truely think this discussion is close to the root of all problems rugby has.
b) they are located a 20-minute-drive from Eden Park and the Blues also do not have an attendance to be proud of
c) this was not about who has the best and most players, but where you can generate growth in the game

Apart from that:
Are Pacific islanders really a factor when it comes to attendance figures? I would guess: yes, but I am not 100% sure about it, as this is said all the time, but I've never seen massive turn-outs due to more Islanders than they are regularly playing in a team anyway.

This is not about traditionalism or xenophobia. It's the reality of geography, demographics and economics. Everyone wants rugby to thrive in the region, and if Fiji, Samoa and Tonga can have professional rugby teams they will have a better chance of having competitive teams in the world cup, which makes it more exciting for everyone. But the reality is that professional rugby in Fiji and Samoa is not sustainable without having interest and income from larger economies. Maybe even then it isn't sustainable but they should at least be given a chance.

Ehm, the xenophobia would not be against PIs, but against Chinese. PI franchises can only be sustainable, when they are subsided by additional income - in this case Chinese money and not another NZ franchise.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 09:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:

Apart from that:

Ehm, the xenophobia would not be against PIs, but against Chinese. PI franchises can only be sustainable, when they are subsided by additional income - in this case Chinese money and not another NZ franchise.

Well it is now known that the sixth GRR team is Shanghai. But I am sure you knew that all along.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 12:22

Bad timing for a Chinese team.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 12:22

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Well it is now known that the sixth GRR team is Shanghai. But I am sure you knew that all along.

Great news. Off course I didn't know.
I just wanted to know why people like you even came up that a proposed BoP-China-franchise could instead drop the China and be simply BoP (or North Harbour for that matter).
After years of following my favourite sport, I think, that this kind of thinking seems to be the biggest problem in rugby at all.
That's what I wanted to know. Why do even people like you, who are obviously interested in all kinds of rugby and even dedicated enough to enjoy talking in a non-cartel-forum, come up with a "solution" to play only in old markets? This is not meant offensive at all. I simply want to understand.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 13:06

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Well it is now known that the sixth GRR team is Shanghai. But I am sure you knew that all along.

I just wanted to know why people like you even came up that a proposed BoP-China-franchise could instead drop the China and be simply BoP (or North Harbour for that matter).
After years of following my favourite sport, I think, that this kind of thinking seems to be the biggest problem in rugby at all.
That's what I wanted to know. Why do even people like you, who are obviously interested in all kinds of rugby and even dedicated enough to enjoy talking in a non-cartel-forum, come up with a "solution" to play only in old markets? This is not meant offensive at all. I simply want to understand.

Yes, of course, my reasons. Firstly, this is the first time I have seen any evidence of the Chinese showing any interest in rugby, other than wishful thinking that you can get on forums such as this.
Secondly, I live in a country where rugby is so popular, I have never had to travel more than about 30 miles to play a game of rugby, and even our professional teams rarely play in another country, so the idea of crossing seas and continents to reach a team to play is alien to me.
Rugby is a very cheap sport to play as an amateur, but very expensive to run as a professional sport, due to the large numbers of people required, which is expensive for salaries and for travel costs. To me, it seems bizarre for players from Fiji and Bay of Plenty to travel to Shanghai to play rugby, when they were quite close to each to begin with. Would a citizen of Shanghai be pursuaded to watch a rugby game between a Shanghai team (probably with very few Chinese players) and a team from Fiji? Or would they be more likely to be attracted to a Super Rugby game if that was staged there? I really don't know.
I am an accountant and pessimistic by nature. I see costs everywhere, but I have no idea how to generate interest in people for things that they have never had and don't know they want. That is my shortcoming.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 14:00

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Yes, of course, my reasons. Firstly, this is the first time I have seen any evidence of the Chinese showing any interest in rugby, other than wishful thinking that you can get on forums such as this.
Secondly, I live in a country where rugby is so popular, I have never had to travel more than about 30 miles to play a game of rugby, and even our professional teams rarely play in another country, so the idea of crossing seas and continents to reach a team to play is alien to me.
Rugby is a very cheap sport to play as an amateur, but very expensive to run as a professional sport, due to the large numbers of people required, which is expensive for salaries and for travel costs. To me, it seems bizarre for players from Fiji and Bay of Plenty to travel to Shanghai to play rugby, when they were quite close to each to begin with. Would a citizen of Shanghai be pursuaded to watch a rugby game between a Shanghai team (probably with very few Chinese players) and a team from Fiji? Or would they be more likely to be attracted to a Super Rugby game if that was staged there? I really don't know.
I am an accountant and pessimistic by nature. I see costs everywhere, but I have no idea how to generate interest in people for things that they have never had and don't know they want. That is my shortcoming.

Great and interesting post. I come from a soccer background and also never travelled more than 50km for a league game. Still everyone was interested in many leagues and at one time as a kid I could have told you who the champions of Estonia or Iceland were (International league tables are still a regular in German soccer magazines like "kicker"). New teams were always welcomed with some excitement and it was and still is quite strange to think that this wouldn't mean that a fomer teams need to go for this (nostalgia about an old mediocre team is still there though with a lot of fans). And most soccer fans think in their naivete that most of those leagues are more than they really are. But, and that's important, they are treated with respect and never seen as a strange minor. Something like "what's that doing there" when the Germany vs. Brazil rugby result showed up on BBC would never happen in soccer.

I had the impression and interestingly got a similar theory from the great "Rugby reloaded"-podcast, that rugby in the past was never about sport, but about forming relations with people that would be thought off as "worthy" to form relations with. That the Home nations boycotted the soccer world cup until the 1960ies seems to fall in line that this might not even be a rugby problem, but a Commonwealth problem. It would also explain why the average rugby fans doesn't care about anything outside of the rugby world he grew up with.

I often think about the brilliant Douglas Adams and his piece about the Kakapo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCsHuoVABgI (always worth a watch and a good laugh)
So when rugby realizes there is a problem, it often brings up the obvious solutions like create new markets, but then reacts in a way rugby always reacts: to create more relations with people they've already seen as worthy. The Pro 14 is the perfect example. I've never seen, that this could actually be an accountant thing instead of a Commonwealth thing tbh. :shock: Are there so many of you accountants out there in the rugby world :D

Valid points you bring up for the cheap/expensive sport. Not sure though if that's still entirely correct with the unbelievable sums now common in soccer. The 20 million Wild invested in German rugby (and probably seen from our perspective now, would have even gotten Germany to the World Cup if he wouldn't have stopped half a year before the deciding Euro round) are a joke. Some soccer 4th division clubs invest more money. I sometimes think, that if rugby fans would welcome growth way more, it would actually happen. More exposure, more interest from sponsors. But here my naivity might kick in.

So to get back to the China franchise. I see a chance if rugby is marketed as a spectacle and with China it is still the sheer size. Having grown up close to a big city, everything under 500k for me is small. For a Chinese, everything under 5 million is small. Shanghai with its large expat community seems like a good bet for a rugby team. 10k people watching a game are a good number for rugby globally, Shanghai could have 20k.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 15:14

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

In Brazil we have amateur clubs crossing 400km, 600km, 800km by bus to play an amateur match. And this is quite normal and happens in a weekly basis.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 15:58

10k people watching a game are a good number for rugby globally, Shanghai could have 20k.

Based on what? Population? Doesn’t seem likely at all.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 16:16

4N wrote:
10k people watching a game are a good number for rugby globally, Shanghai could have 20k.

The soccer numbers in Shanghai. Have been stable at 20k for five years now. But yeah, those numbers need to be reached first. Could also become a flop. Thing is the Pro 14 only averaged 8240 per match in 2018/2019 and that includes the Welsh double header at 51,3 k. If those games were not at 102 combined, put 20k (10+10) that's an average of 7,7k. Those numbers seem reachable, but I might be wrong.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 16:24

You wrote something somewhere about handball. The Bundesliga averages about 5k spectators per game. This should be the goal in the first years. But maybe the point is not to have as many people watching as possible, but a good atmosphere, 2500 in a 3000 stadium is much better than 4000 in a too big stadium, in my opinion
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 16:50

In Britain, below the top professional leagues (English Premiership & Pro14), anything over 2,000 is a big crowd (for Welsh Premiership, English Championship, Scottish Super Six).

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 19:25

yeah, but we are talking about a transcontinental league. It's somewhat different to a local or regional semi-pro setup
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 20:14

The distances are much greater, but will the quality be any higher than the English Championship? I doubt it. The English Championship is a professional league. The Malaysia Valke players are from the Currie Cup First Division. That is a level below the English Championship, maybe on the same level as the Welsh Premiership.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 27 Jan 2020, 20:28

RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:

The soccer numbers in Shanghai. Have been stable at 20k for five years now. But yeah, those numbers need to be reached first. Could also become a flop. Thing is the Pro 14 only averaged 8240 per match in 2018/2019 and that includes the Welsh double header at 51,3 k. If those games were not at 102 combined, put 20k (10+10) that's an average of 7,7k. Those numbers seem reachable, but I might be wrong.

Look at khl attendances in China - in Beijing or Shanghai. For the moment it's not huge. But there are barely no locals playing. Fans can't really identify to the team. Just bringing outsiders to play an unknown sport - and especially thiurd or fourth strings players - doesn't help to promote the sport.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 05:31

vino_93 wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:

Look at khl attendances in China - in Beijing or Shanghai. For the moment it's not huge. But there are barely no locals playing. Fans can't really identify to the team. Just bringing outsiders to play an unknown sport - and especially thiurd or fourth strings players - doesn't help to promote the sport.

A very good point I haven't thought about considering. My hope would be that a lower numbers of games could lead about a bit higher average attendance. Expats numbers are around 150.000 in Shanghai (exact numbers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Shanghai block on the right) but there is "only" 6k Brits and 7k Ozzies there. But those numbers are still higher than expats from ice-hockey-nations.

Apart from that. We are at a stage, were this unknown sport needs to promote itself. Every presence is better than the "nothing" rugby has now in China.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 05:38

rey200 wrote:You wrote something somewhere about handball. The Bundesliga averages about 5k spectators per game. This should be the goal in the first years. But maybe the point is not to have as many people watching as possible, but a good atmosphere, 2500 in a 3000 stadium is much better than 4000 in a too big stadium, in my opinion

THW Kiel (the biggest Handball club in Germany) has a team budget of 9,5 Million Euro and an average attendance of 10.285 fans (which means a 100% sellout every game), this should be the goal. But you are absolutely right, that a filled small stadium is much better, than i.e. the empty desaster the giant stadium in Singapore was for the Sunwolves. This could be a problem in Shanghai.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 28 Jan 2020, 07:26

RugbyLiebe wrote:
vino_93 wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:

A very good point I haven't thought about considering. My hope would be that a lower numbers of games could lead about a bit higher average attendance. Expats numbers are around 150.000 in Shanghai (exact numbers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Shanghai block on the right) but there is "only" 6k Brits and 7k Ozzies there. But those numbers are still higher than expats from ice-hockey-nations.

Apart from that. We are at a stage, were this unknown sport needs to promote itself. Every presence is better than the "nothing" rugby has now in China.

If you look at ice hockey, when NHL is playing, attendances are high. So... I guess rugby should try to do the same. Organise big club or selection game with good marketing. Try to involve local community with kids. Help local clubs during the same time.

But pretending that a kiwi team is a local team ... That looks like a potential failure for me.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 00:28

China Lions its officially the six team of this league

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Thesjhughes » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 01:17

Here is an article from global rapid rugby and it looks like it’s a bay ofplenty is involved with this adventure.

CHINA AND NEW ZEALAND JOIN RUGBY REVOLUTION

January 31, 2020

Global Rapid Rugby has unveiled the China Lions as the final team in its inaugural home-and-away competition this year. China Rugby Football Association and New Zealand’s domestic championship winning Bay of Plenty have formed an exciting joint venture.

The Lions are the sixth team to be announced as part of Global Rapid Rugby Season One in 2020, joining Australia’s Western Force, the Malaysia Valke representing both Malaysia and South Africa, Fijian Latui, Manuma Samoa and the Hong Kong based South China Tigers.

Fast paced and explosive by name and nature, Season One includes a AU$1 million total prize pool, 30 games over 10 rounds and a one-off Grand Final.

Global Rapid Rugby CEO, Mark Evans, described the inclusion of China as ‘crucial’ to the long-term development of rugby throughout Asia.

“Our expansion into China is an important development for the competition. We believe that rugby has the potential to become an extremely popular and successful sport throughout the country,” Evans said.

“Rugby is a game with broad appeal. Add the on-going energy, entertainment and family fun created by Rapid Rugby and I am confident crowds in Shanghai will love supporting their home team, the Lions.

“We thank the China Rugby Football Association for its assistance and belief in what we are trying to achieve. The ongoing support of New Zealand Rugby has always been greatly appreciated. It is tremendously exciting to be involved with a progressive operation like Bay of Plenty Rugby Union,” Evans said.

This year is the perfect time to expand the rugby footprint in China. The national women’s team will make China’s Olympic Rugby debut in Tokyo and the men’s team will continue its attempt to qualify for the 2020 Games.

Mr Chen, President of China Rugby Football Association, says Rapid Rugby is an appealing concept with an exciting future.

“China Rugby Football Association partnering with Bay of Plenty Rugby to compete in Rapid Rugby supports the strategy for the growth of rugby in China. We are very excited about our Chinese women’s team competing this year in the Olympics in Tokyo and see this new partnership as part of our strategy of providing opportunities to develop our Chinese players and coaches and raise the profile of rugby in China.”

Bay of Plenty Rugby Union CEO, Mike Rogers, described the partnership with Chinese Rugby and Rapid Rugby as a bold step forward.

“Bay of Plenty Rugby is excited about partnering with the China Rugby Football Association to participate in Rapid Rugby 2020 and over time grow the game of rugby in China. The vision of Rapid Rugby is one that we share and we are committed to growing the fantastic Rapid Rugby brand in the Asian region.”

The creation of Australian businessman and internationally renowned philanthropist Andrew Forrest AO, Global Rapid Rugby began as a Perth based Exhibition Series in 2018 and developed into a 2019 Showcase Series across seven Asia Pacific territories, featuring 70-minute matches, revolutionary new rules and an emphasis on off-field entertainment for fans.

Global Rapid Rugby Season One will kick off on March 13 with the Grand Final in Perth on June 6. The full match schedule will be released soon.

Global Rapid Rugby will monitor and follow the advice of relevant health authorities around the Coronavirus and immediately communicate any relevant information to stakeholders.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 03:29

They pick a really bad time to start a rugby team in China.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Thesjhughes » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 04:26

thatrugbyguy wrote:They pick a really bad time to start a rugby team in China.

If it gets really bad I think I’ll play some of the games in New Zealand in the Bay of Plenty region too decent stadiums there anyway

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 07:20

I wish them all the best with this Chinese team but I do wonder what the plans will actually entail. The Waikato Rugby Union/Chiefs have some type of agreement with the Hong Kong RFU where they send players to thei HK domestic league and also send their development teams to play against the HK national team.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 08:27

On a sitenote: China Rugby Football Association is the worst name I've ever seen a Rugby union federation bear. Looks like they couldn't decide if they play Association or Rugby.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum