Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 17:56

Can we think about what might rise from the ashes of GRR?
Western Force and Fijian Latui will most likely be playing in some form of Super Rugby.
Malaysia Valke is finished. Valke themselves might be finished.
I have no idea about China Lions. Maybe Bay of Plenty will be a sixth New Zealand Super Rugby team.
I am sure the Samoan team will not be back. Samoa is too small, poor, remote and corrupt to support a professional rugby team. And their domestic players are not even very good. A Samoa-Tonga team in Auckland could be on the cards.

There is some history and interest in rugby in the South China Sea area. South China Tigers are the strongest and probably the only professional rugby team in Asia outside of Japan and Russia.

Could a South China Sea Championship be via with teams from Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Philippines, Taiwan and 2 from Hong Kong (Hong Kong Island and Kowloon)?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 18:01

China is a big doubt. We don't know when they'll take rugby 15s seriously. They are still to make any sort of impact on sevens and that's their focus...

Malaysia has potencial. Rugby is something there, it is a real thing.

I think both Fiji and Samoa would be well suited for the Mitre10 Cup in fact, making it 2 divisions of 8 instead of 7. If NZ is realy looking at the PIs finaly now, that would be an important move, specialy as feeder teams for a Super Rugby Trans-Tasman side. I say Mitre10Cup and not NRC because Rugby Australia left NRC out of their plans if we haven't misunderstood them.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 10:43

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I have no idea about China Lions. Maybe Bay of Plenty will be a sixth New Zealand Super Rugby team.

Seems like you picked this pretty well Chester. It seems Mr Twiggy Billionaire from Western Australia wants to bankroll a team out of the Bay of Plenty region to join next year. I'm guessing he made some sort of investment in the union or has already put money in for the China tigers part of the GRR. It would be good to see a team there, the Chiefs definitely don't play enough games there and Tauranga/Rotorua is big population base. They definitely need a better stadium in the Tauranga area as baypark is past it.

Also interestingly the article states NZR is considering a bid from the Asia Pacific Dragons also along with the known pacific team based out of Auckland. The original source comes from the NZ Herald but its behind a paywall.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/report-a ... franchise/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 15:18

nick511 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:I have no idea about China Lions. Maybe Bay of Plenty will be a sixth New Zealand Super Rugby team.

Seems like you picked this pretty well Chester. It seems Mr Twiggy Billionaire from Western Australia wants to bankroll a team out of the Bay of Plenty region to join next year. I'm guessing he made some sort of investment in the union or has already put money in for the China tigers part of the GRR. It would be good to see a team there, the Chiefs definitely don't play enough games there and Tauranga/Rotorua is big population base. They definitely need a better stadium in the Tauranga area as baypark is past it.

Also interestingly the article states NZR is considering a bid from the Asia Pacific Dragons also along with the known pacific team based out of Auckland. The original source comes from the NZ Herald but its behind a paywall.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/report-a ... franchise/

Really interesting and good news. Rugby Aotearoa is great as a one off but going forward there needs to be more than just 5 teams ideally. Potentially then, the NZ Super Rugby Championship could be the 5 Super Rugby teams plus: Bay of Plenty; Auckland Pacific Warriors (I've just made up that name); and Asia Pacific Dragons based in another country (possibly Singapore). Am I on the right track?
Then there's the Australian Super Rugby Championship; their 5 Super Rugby teams plus Fijian Latui, and maybe South China Tigers.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 17:44

Wait, wasn't GRR going to expand to Siberia and the Moon?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 18:00

victorsra wrote:Wait, wasn't GRR going to expand to Siberia and the Moon?

:lol:

If Western Force, Fijian Latui, Bay of Plenty, Asia Pacific Dragons and South China Tigers all get incorporated into Super Rugby Championships, GRR will have been the most incredible success. But no Siberia teams I'm afraid.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 03:37

South China Tigers is still alive https://twitter.com/SCTRugby

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum