Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 21:17

Well, maybe that's the reason for the name, which means I was being unfair due to lack of knewledge. But still I think they could have done better.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 03:16

The one that puzzles me the most is RUNY. On the one hand it's unique, on the other hand it's just really awkward. For the longest time RUNY was meant to just be a placeholder name, which is fine, but to have it become the official name of the club was such a strange decision. There was a similar thing that happened down here when the AFL expanded to western Sydney. The team was originally called GWS18 (Greater Western Sydney, 18th team) which was meant to be a temporary name for them to use whilst the team played in the lower leagues for the first 2 years, with a proper name to be created after doing a large study of what the community wanted in time for their arrival in the main competition. Literally everyone wanted the name to be West Sydney Wolves yet the AFL went with the awkward sounding GWS Giants. Suffice to say the team hasn't exactly won over many of the locals.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 05:47

thatrugbyguy wrote:The one that puzzles me the most is RUNY. On the one hand it's unique, on the other hand it's just really awkward. For the longest time RUNY was meant to just be a placeholder name, which is fine, but to have it become the official name of the club was such a strange decision. There was a similar thing that happened down here when the AFL expanded to western Sydney. The team was originally called GWS18 (Greater Western Sydney, 18th team) which was meant to be a temporary name for them to use whilst the team played in the lower leagues for the first 2 years, with a proper name to be created after doing a large study of what the community wanted in time for their arrival in the main competition. Literally everyone wanted the name to be West Sydney Wolves yet the AFL went with the awkward sounding GWS Giants. Suffice to say the team hasn't exactly won over many of the locals.

The AFL plays the long game. They are backing on time negating the name.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 06:15

GWS or RUNY are acronyms. There are countries where acronyms are absolutely normal in sports. In France, they use them a lot to mention their rugby clubs (MHRC, UBB, LOU, ASM, BO, CO and so on) and football too (PSG, obviously). But they use the full names as well or the names of the cities, alternating. This happens everywhere, of course, everybody uses acronyms at some stance, but I highlight France because they use them a lot.

In a more radical level, in the Netherlands many football clubs are basicaly known by their acroyms (PSV, AZ, VVV, MVV, RKC, etc). In Brazil, there are a couple of football clubs only known by their acronyms too , at the point most people don't know what they mean (ABC, CRB, CSA).

And obviously many leagues are known by acronyms, like federations and etc. So, I don't see any problems with acronyms. I'm not a fan of acronyms at club level, but that's a personal preference only.

My problem with Rugby ATL is that ATL isn't properly an acronym, as in acronyms each letters means a different word. It basicaly sounds provisory, incomplete, not a name.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 07:16

I don't see GSW Giants changing its name now. Eventually a name just becomes associated with that new thing rather than the other way round. The Giants name and the orange colour is now also used by Giants Netball.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 11:14

Why Giants? I can understand wolves ( I think) even if there is no native specie in Australia as most teams are associated to a national animal.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 11:58

Thomas wrote:Why Giants? I can understand wolves ( I think) even if there is no native specie in Australia as most teams are associated to a national animal.

They are going to be Giants of the AFL. Or at least that's the iconography they're aiming for.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 12:37

victorsra wrote:GWS or RUNY are acronyms. There are countries where acronyms are absolutely normal in sports. In France, they use them a lot to mention their rugby clubs (MHRC, UBB, LOU, ASM, BO, CO and so on) and football too (PSG, obviously). But they use the full names as well or the names of the cities, alternating. This happens everywhere, of course, everybody uses acronyms at some stance, but I highlight France because they use them a lot.

In a more radical level, in the Netherlands many football clubs are basicaly known by their acroyms (PSV, AZ, VVV, MVV, RKC, etc). In Brazil, there are a couple of football clubs only known by their acronyms too , at the point most people don't know what they mean (ABC, CRB, CSA).

And obviously many leagues are known by acronyms, like federations and etc. So, I don't see any problems with acronyms. I'm not a fan of acronyms at club level, but that's a personal preference only.

My problem with Rugby ATL is that ATL isn't properly an acronym, as in acronyms each letters means a different word. It basicaly sounds provisory, incomplete, not a name.

Ahem. Allow me to don my pedantry hat.

In France these are "initialisms" not "acronyms", they are pronounced as the individual letters. I have always thought Nola and Runy are real acronyms, I pronounce them words not as letters.

FIFA is an acrnoym, the RFU is an initialism.

I was never sure if Rugby ATL was meant to be an acronym or an initialism. Making them the "RATL" snakes solves that one somewhat!

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 12:42

Giants is one of the most popular names for professional sports teams. In general, they are referencing giants of mythology.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 15:12

sk 88 wrote:
victorsra wrote:GWS or RUNY are acronyms. There are countries where acronyms are absolutely normal in sports. In France, they use them a lot to mention their rugby clubs (MHRC, UBB, LOU, ASM, BO, CO and so on) and football too (PSG, obviously). But they use the full names as well or the names of the cities, alternating. This happens everywhere, of course, everybody uses acronyms at some stance, but I highlight France because they use them a lot.

In France these are "initialisms" not "acronyms", they are pronounced as the individual letters. I have always thought Nola and Runy are real acronyms, I pronounce them words not as letters.

I was never sure if Rugby ATL was meant to be an acronym or an initialism. Making them the "RATL" snakes solves that one somewhat!

RFU = Rugby Football Union
FIFA = Federation Internationale de Football Association
MHRC = Montpellier Herault Rugby Club
CO = Castres Olympique
PSV = Philips Sport Vereniging
GSW = Greater Western Sydney

All acronyms , 1 letter = 1 word. I don't see any difference. Can you explain initialism vs acronym?

RATL don't solve anything IMO. It is short for Rugby ATL.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Rumpelstilzchen » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 17:46

victorsra wrote:
sk 88 wrote:

CO = Castres Olympique

All acronyms , 1 letter = 1 word. I don't see any difference. Can you explain initialism vs acronym?

The difference he means is how they are pronounced. FIFA is pronounced as a word (fee-fah), while for RFU each individual letter is pronounced (are-ef-you). According to Wikipedia it's not agreed upon whether the latter are aconyms as well or should be classed as intialisms.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 17:52

Oh, ok. In Portuguese we call both things the same.

Anyway, if Rattler is something that came naturaly, it is only logical to rebrand the team as Atlanta Rattlers.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 22:17

victorsra wrote:
sk 88 wrote:

CO = Castres Olympique

As the post above, an acronym is a word like AIDS or FIFA which is pronounced like a new word rather than just saying the letters which is an initialism (A-S-M, is the best example it is said as the letters rather than "Ass-Em" as it could be).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 23 Aug 2020, 02:05

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 04 Sep 2020, 21:30

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Thesjhughes » Sat, 05 Sep 2020, 03:50

Doesn’t surprise me I think they Kanaloa are a group of grifters. They say one thing in New Zealand in a different thing outside and I hope to God that the New Zealand Rugby union are not give them a franchise in Super Rugby Aotearoa

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 05 Sep 2020, 07:15

Guardian article on the issue:

Hawaii team backed by ex-All Blacks will not play MLR in 2021, league says

Kanaloa group announced ambitious plans in July
US league says exclusive negotiating agreement expired

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/04/hawaii-rugby-kanaloa-all-blacks-mlr-2021

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 01:15

Utah warriors announced they will build a 10.000 seat stadium that will be ready for the 2023 season

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 11:01

Looks amazing

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 11:28

That will be the best rugby facility in the US for sure.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 20:09

Let's just hope that there's a 2021 season, as the US Covid situation isn't looking very good.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum