Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:36
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Re:

Postby Salta » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 01:13

Salta wrote:
grande wrote:So are any other Arrows fans starting to get worried for this season? I keep seeing other teams signing overseas pros, and Toronto keeps announcing Marshall Premiership guys as their starters...

Tomás de la Vega has no marketing but he is perhaps the best flanker-number eight in the MLR.

Told you
https://twitter.com/TorontoArrows/statu ... 1708662784

Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 02:35

And a yellow card :P

Posts: 5860
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 10:59

What's the deal with teams playing in Vegas two weeks in a row?

Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 11:34

thatrugbyguy wrote:What's the deal with teams playing in Vegas two weeks in a row?


I imagine there a level of financial incentive in doing so. Attempting to create an event. Could also be in aid of feeling out the potential for a future Vegas based franchise.

Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 11:54

Weather too cold for NE teams to play at home.

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 15:19

To make it fair for everybody, maybe MLR should think about kicking off with a Magic Weekend concept of all teams playing in the same stadium (Las Vegas, San Francisco, somewhere in Florida? Whatever).

This cold weather approach of neutral venues is only happening in the first 2 weekends. If you have a Magic Weekend in the first weekend, you can adjust the second wekeend to have NE teams all playing away ofr receiving byes.

Anyway, is Toronto Arrows playing all home matches at Lamport as the Wiki suggests? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Majo ... gby_season
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 15:33

No, the first two home games are at York University like last year.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 16:08

jonny24 wrote:No, the first two home games are at York University like last year.

What's the reason?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 16:31

Lamport Stadium has a dome on it until at least the end of March, to allow community use through the winter. I don't know if there's a certain date or if it depends on weather, but the need to plan out operations means the Arrows (and TWP for that matter) can only get so early of access guaranteed and need to make other arrangements for games before then.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 16:38

jonny24 wrote:Lamport Stadium has a dome on it until at least the end of March, to allow community use through the winter. I don't know if there's a certain date or if it depends on weather, but the need to plan out operations means the Arrows (and TWP for that matter) can only get so early of access guaranteed and need to make other arrangements for games before then.


Interesting, but this dome is too low to be used for a professional match? Is that the problem?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 18:09

victorsra wrote:To make it fair for everybody, maybe MLR should think about kicking off with a Magic Weekend concept of all teams playing in the same stadium (Las Vegas, San Francisco, somewhere in Florida? Whatever).

This cold weather approach of neutral venues is only happening in the first 2 weekends. If you have a Magic Weekend in the first weekend, you can adjust the second wekeend to have NE teams all playing away ofr receiving byes.

Anyway, is Toronto Arrows playing all home matches at Lamport as the Wiki suggests? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Majo ... gby_season


I think this is a good idea. As with everything requires money, patience and promotion, not rugby's traditional strong suits!

Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 21:35

victorsra wrote:
jonny24 wrote:Lamport Stadium has a dome on it until at least the end of March, to allow community use through the winter. I don't know if there's a certain date or if it depends on weather, but the need to plan out operations means the Arrows (and TWP for that matter) can only get so early of access guaranteed and need to make other arrangements for games before then.


Interesting, but this dome is too low to be used for a professional match? Is that the problem?


Pretty much. That and most of these inflatable structures tend to only span the length and width of the actually fields they are covering meaning they don't provide the ability to have crowds turn out. I've previously looked at Lamport and wondered the feasibility of the Arrows and TWP getting together an petitioning the local authorities to either 1) fund some kind of roof over just the stadium or 2) giving the green light for both parties to do it themselves. Not talking about a complete rebuild of the stadium. More adding to the structure by putting something like a shed but obviously more substantial over it. Wonder how much that would cost.

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 21:40

That would be great if feasible. Lamport would be a rugby codes national stadium.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 22:07

Lamport is an old venue, it would require significant renovation to accommodate a domed roof, if you look at the previous Minnesota Vikings stadium they had an inflated dome roof, but their roof was much more permanent then the bubble that is on the pitch right now at Lamport.

Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 22:08

victorsra wrote:That would be great if feasible. Lamport would be a rugby codes national stadium.


I'm not talking about anything too fancy. A roof high enough for lighting and accommodate kicking with concrete sides and glass behind each of the try zones.

Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 22:11

TheStroBro wrote:Lamport is an old venue, it would require significant renovation to accommodate a domed roof, if you look at the previous Minnesota Vikings stadium they had an inflated dome roof, but their roof was much more permanent then the bubble that is on the pitch right now at Lamport.


I'm talking more about a large coarport essentially. It wouldn't be attache to the stands. More over it.

Posts: 781
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Edgar » Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 08:28

Defending champs Seattle on the bottom at 0-3 following the weekend's drubbing at home by Toronto :shock: The Arrows and last year's beaten finalists San Diego lead the way with perfect 3-0 records thus far. :thumbup:

Image

Image

Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 09:00

Why are they posting a combined table? I thought what mattered was the individual conferences?

Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 17:32

They're also posting the conference table as well.

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 19:40

ESPN is saying the SLAR vs MLR champions match is on June 20th https://espndeportes.espn.com/rugby/not ... rugby-2020

That can't be possible. Isn't June 20th the weekend of the MLR Final?

MLR's regular season ends on May 31st. Isn't 3 weeks of playoffs (with 3 teams qualifiying from each conference)? Or only 4 teams advance to the playoffs (and the final is on June 13th)?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 705
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby carbonero » Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 22:20

The MLR final is on June 20. If the Super Cup happens, it has to be on June 27 before the international window.

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 02 Mar 2020, 23:28

Nobody knows how many teams qualify from each conference to the playoffs?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 17:22
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby theDarky » Mon, 02 Mar 2020, 23:47

victorsra wrote:Nobody knows how many teams qualify from each conference to the playoffs?


From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Major_League_Rugby_season

The playoffs have expanded from four teams in 2018 to six teams this year, with the top three teams from each conference qualifying. The second- and third-placed team from each conference will play each other in the conference semifinals, with the winner moving on to play the first-placed team in the conference finals,. The winners of the conference finals will play against each other in the final for the championship.

Posts: 5860
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 00:53

This is honestly what I don't like about the conference systems in US sport. You can have the two best teams in the league in the once conference and not have them play each other in the final. It makes far more sense for the playoffs to be based on where teams finished overall, not a simple East / West split.

Online
Posts: 7491
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 01:10

Yes, I've already seen the Wiki page. But nothing on the official page. If you look at the Wiki, you assume MLR final is on the 20th.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests