Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Fri, 12 Jun 2020, 14:07

San Francisco or San Jose would be a prime spot for a team and I am amazed there hasn't been any sort of calls for a team to be in the bay area. Vancouver is another city I think will have a team at some point and will do well in my opinion.

I to agree that a team in Ohio is a good idea, I also like the idea of a team in Philly, as well as maybe Kansas City, Chicago, and shoot maybe a team in Orlando? But listing off cities is one thing, and the reality of building a franchise is another.

I did see that a team in Hawaii has been invited by the MLR according to a tweet from a reliable rugby sportswriter, but again this is from twitter so I don't know if its 100% accurate.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 12 Jun 2020, 20:55

If we can get teams in Vancouver, NorCal and Chicago we will be good to put on a pause for a few years. Let the league grow and get some bigger investors in a few years.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 12 Jun 2020, 22:30

NorCal, Van (or Vic maybe) and Chicago would have to be the three desired locations.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 00:52

2021 MLR Draft Results:

Round 1

1. Dallas - Conner Mooneyham

2. NOLA - Brian Nault

3. Utah - Derek Ellingson

4. Austin - Lui Sitama

5. Seattle - Aaron Matthews

6. New England - Justin Johnson

7. Utah - John Powers

8. Atlanta - Michael Matarazzo

9. Dallas - Tommy Clark

10. NOLA - Andrew Guerra

11. Old Glory - Casey Renaud

12. San Diego - Patrick Madden

Round 2

13. Dallas - Levi Van Lanen

14. LA - Watson Filikitonga

15. Utah - Danny Giannascoli

16. Austin - Mason Koch

17. Seattle Seawolves - Nicholas Taylor

18. New England - Spencer Krueger

19. Utah - Elijah Hayes

20. Atlanta - John Scotti

21. Dallas - Bronson Teles

22. LA - Stephen McLeish

23. Old Glory - Matthew Gordon

24. San Diego - Cole Zarcone

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 02:28

What do you know about the players in the draft?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 20:16

Anyone know why RUNY, Houston, and Toronto didn't participate?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 22:28

Pro(p) Kicker wrote:Anyone know why RUNY, Houston, and Toronto didn't participate?

Toronto because Canadian college athletes couldn’t enter. Houston traded their selections to Utah for Robbie Povey, and RUNY trades their selections to Dallas for an international roster space

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 19:28

The MLR expansion fee is now 15,000,000 American dollars. That is a crazy amount and the rumour mill I heard is the group in Vancouver aren't interested in dropping that amount of money, especially when there isn't decent stadium to play in.. .

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 19:30

There’s a very nice stadium that they can play in Vancouver. The problem is that if they don’t want to pay $15 million then they won’t want to spend the money and play at BC Place.

And, you know, it’s big.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 19:41

Tobar wrote:There’s a very nice stadium that they can play in Vancouver. The problem is that if they don’t want to pay $15 million then they won’t want to spend the money and play at BC Place.

And, you know, it’s big.

BC Place isn't a option. The crowds would be hopefully around a 4-5000 people and that doesn't justify paying the rent of a stadium that big. They even discussed co-renting it with the Whitcaps and hold double header games of soccer and rugby to share the amount of the rental and staff charge.

If there was a stadium that held about 10,000 seats then it may be a different discussion, Swanguard is a dump.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 19:44

Who is paying $15m for an MLR team? That doesn't make any financial sense at all.

Respectfully I think that claim needs a source!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 19:56

sk 88 wrote:Who is paying $15m for an MLR team? That doesn't make any financial sense at all.

Respectfully I think that claim needs a source!

Its what i was told, and by a guy who is in the loop of the rugby scene. It is a stupid amount, but when the MLS soccer is 200 million its a bargain.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:10

snapper37 wrote:
Tobar wrote:There’s a very nice stadium that they can play in Vancouver. The problem is that if they don’t want to pay $15 million then they won’t want to spend the money and play at BC Place.

And, you know, it’s big.

BC Place isn't a option. The crowds would be hopefully around a 4-5000 people and that doesn't justify paying the rent of a stadium that big. They even discussed co-renting it with the Whitcaps and hold double header games of soccer and rugby to share the amount of the rental and staff charge.

If there was a stadium that held about 10,000 seats then it may be a different discussion, Swanguard is a dump.

How about Thunderbird Stadium?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:34

I can tell you for a fact it is not $15M. However, it is a very large sum and you need to prove that you have close to $10M in liquid capital to fund your team for the first three seasons. So total package would be close to that if not a bit closer to $20M. You may not think it is worth it, but every time a team pays an expansion fee it resets the market, and prospective bids also outbid each other as well. You also have to think about how this league is funded, production costs money. Player Salaries cost money. Etc.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 21:47

snapper37 wrote:

And, you know, it’s big.

Isn't it possible to simple renovate Swangard? It looks perfect for rugby. I remember playing EA Sports' Rugby 2001 video game with Swangard as a venue.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 22:52

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

And, you know, it’s big.

How about Thunderbird Stadium?

It's way to far out of the way. Swanguard's the best option but I don't know if the owners or the city of Burnaby is willing to put any money into renovating it slightly.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 00:13

Why would it have to be renovated? Canada played there just a few years ago so it should be up to standard. It could always be better of course but it should be good enough for the first year of a new club.

Isn’t it only 20 minutes outside the center or Vancouver? I assume Google Maps isn’t always accurate but even if it was longer than that many of the other MLR stadiums are much further than 20 minutes from their city centers. RUNY is 45 minutes just from midtown by subway.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 01:09

Tobar wrote:Why would it have to be renovated? Canada played there just a few years ago so it should be up to standard. It could always be better of course but it should be good enough for the first year of a new club.

Isn’t it only 20 minutes outside the center or Vancouver? I assume Google Maps isn’t always accurate but even if it was longer than that many of the other MLR stadiums are much further than 20 minutes from their city centers. RUNY is 45 minutes just from midtown by subway.

It's totally usable, it's just that it's old as hell and it's hard to convince people to go watch games on hard bleachers with a track between you and the field. It is however in a great location with it being about a kilometre from a sky train station. It's not a worry that it will dissuade the people who go to every international in Vancouver, but it might to a casual fan.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 02:18

Yeah and like I said it could certainly be renovated but I don’t think it’s in such disrepair where they wouldn’t consider it. Tbh it’s the best option for a brand new sports team.

If the team comes in with money and the city knows that they will stay if there are even slight improvements to the fan experience then I’m sure something could be worked out.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 02:39

The track isn't a problem. If people don't go because of a track, your problem is not the track. It is basicaly people are not interested in the event or the game at all. You need to produce a nice event, that's all, and your goal would be around 3.000 people, not that hard in a city with so many rugby clubs. If you can't persuade people involved with rugby to go to a well located and easy to go stadium, it is because your problem is not the stadium, it is ineffective marketing actions and lack of connection between community and national team/professional franchise.

An interesting thing: in some very old Brazilian soccer stadiums, with very hard bleachers, the clubs give the fans pillows. Club pillows, themed. It is a very cool idea.

Postby 4N » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 03:08

Bleachers aren’t really an issue. You will see tons of team branded cushions at college football stadiums here. But yes creating a connection with fans and an atmosphere that makes people want to attend is a different challenge.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 11:02

TheStroBro wrote:I can tell you for a fact it is not $15M. However, it is a very large sum and you need to prove that you have close to $10M in liquid capital to fund your team for the first three seasons. So total package would be close to that if not a bit closer to $20M. You may not think it is worth it, but every time a team pays an expansion fee it resets the market, and prospective bids also outbid each other as well. You also have to think about how this league is funded, production costs money. Player Salaries cost money. Etc.

That makes a lot of sense, so rather than a $15m expansion fee plus all these costs, the total amount you need to prove you will spend is $15m. I can see where the confusion came from.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 16:37

Pro(p) Kicker wrote:

How about Thunderbird Stadium?[/quote]

It's way to far out of the way. Swanguard's the best option but I don't know if the owners or the city of Burnaby is willing to put any money into renovating it slightly.[/quote]

I won't claim to know Vancouver at all, but it doesn't seem more out of the way than say, York U in Toronto. Is it a transit problem?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 16:56

Pro(p) Kicker wrote:It's way to far out of the way. Swanguard's the best option but I don't know if the owners or the city of Burnaby is willing to put any money into renovating it slightly.

The way you describe Thunderbird Stadium, which is literally in Vancouver, it's as if its in Abbotsford.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 17:22

Wikipedia shows Swangard as used only by a small third-level soccer club https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swangard_Stadium

Come on, there is a huge opportunity for rugby to start building something there. Just like Toronto rugby is using Lamport.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum