Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 17:51

victorsra wrote:Wikipedia shows Swangard as used only by a small third-level soccer club https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swangard_Stadium

Come on, there is a huge opportunity for rugby to start building something there. Just like Toronto rugby is using Lamport.

Well, Lamport is in a very trendy area directly next to both downtown and the GO transit line, as well as being 2 blocks away from the Exhibition grounds where Torontonians have been going to for sports and other events for like 100 years.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 17:55

Yes, but isn't Swangard easy to go?

People from very rich cities sometimes sound too spoiled. If it is easy to go, come on... I understand if the climate is an issue (an open stadium in freezing conditions, but there is not much to do in rugby's case, only making a suitable calendar) or if the place is in a bad location with few transportation or hours away. But if the location is good, the problem is just lack of interest in the sport/event. It is just a marketing problem or a scheduling problem (to avoid other main sports competition).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Tue, 16 Jun 2020, 19:32

jonny24 wrote:
Pro(p) Kicker wrote:

If there was a stadium that held about 10,000 seats then it may be a different discussion, Swanguard is a dump.

How about Thunderbird Stadium?

It's way to far out of the way. Swanguard's the best option but I don't know if the owners or the city of Burnaby is willing to put any money into renovating it slightly.[/quote]

I won't claim to know Vancouver at all, but it doesn't seem more out of the way than say, York U in Toronto. Is it a transit problem?[/quote]

UBC is on the western most point of Vancouver, so it's a bit out of the way. Besides from this, the actual city of Vancouver only accounts for 600,000 people of the total 2.6 million metropolitan area. For the other 2 million they're generally closer to Burnaby and Swangard then they are to UBC. It's also, most likely, way more convenient for most people living in Vancouver to get to Swangard then to get to UBC. The only transit out to UBC is a bus, that is usually packed, as the Skytrain extension has no complete plan yet. I don't know Toronto so I can't comment on York U but if they have a subway connection they are probably a lot more connected to the rest of Toronto then UBC is to Vancouver. If they decide to use UBC, fair enough, but that means they're going to have to rely on the university crowd to fill the stands instead of the general population as people aren't as willing to go out to UBC then Burnaby.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 17 Jun 2020, 17:10

Chris Robshaw has signed for San Diego

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 17 Jun 2020, 20:00

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 23 Jun 2020, 18:43

Interesting, MLR added Dallas to their website but not LA https://www.majorleague.rugby/ Maybe they are asking LA to PLEASE come up with a better name and logo? :lol: Remember Austin changed their Gilgronis name and logo to be Austin AG's (less ridiculous).

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 09:49

You can't take a league seriously with a team name like that, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were to have happened, lol.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 10:31

They should just rename the league Major GiLeague Rugby.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 14:44

Ref BC MLR team

The Stadium itself is rather unimportant at this point. Lamport isn't a nice stadium but it's an excellent venue for Rugby. You are basically right over top of the field and can see every play.

Also, what the Rugby League team has done with the beer garden is something that could be easily replicated at Swangard. BC has A LOT of real good craft breweries that I am certain would jump at the chance to sell some product.

Make it a party and people will show up. It will be a long time before BC has a team though, game is stuck in the past out here.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 26 Jun 2020, 19:03

The Quintessential Dan Moor Retirement podcast...https://www.facebook.com/earfulofdirt/v ... 042806834/

Podcast will be on the Earful of Dirt Podcast stream this weekend if you don't do facebook.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 30 Jun 2020, 03:28

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Ref BC MLR team

The Stadium itself is rather unimportant at this point. Lamport isn't a nice stadium but it's an excellent venue for Rugby. You are basically right over top of the field and can see every play.

Also, what the Rugby League team has done with the beer garden is something that could be easily replicated at Swangard. BC has A LOT of real good craft breweries that I am certain would jump at the chance to sell some product.

Make it a party and people will show up. It will be a long time before BC has a team though, game is stuck in the past out here.

The game is stuck but the reason BC isn't pursuing a team is because of the $15,000,000 buy in.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Tue, 07 Jul 2020, 15:30

South Korean international 7 player Mun Jin Ho signs a professional contract with Dallas Jackals!
https://www.asierugby.com/post/l-intern ... as-jackals

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 20:07

Look like a new team

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 20:34

Osmanperalta wrote:Look like a new team

This might be another nail in GRR and Super Rugby. Many PI players would be interested in this venture, although they might take US citizenship. Could be good in one way for PI, but might lose more players, this time to US

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 20:48

Really excited about this move , think it is great that the MLR continues to expand.

Think that with the Western Force owner getting an opportunity for WF to play regularly in a domestic or Trans-Tasman league , this Hawaiian tem and a 2/3 league Japanese pro competition , you can forget GRR.

Hope its another opportunity for PI players to play in a competition closer to home rather than move to Europe. But if you add this , the Japaanese league and the Trans-Tasman (whatever that format is) you hope there is going to be more PI players playing professionally and not change nationality.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 21:40

I'm sure GRR is finished anyway. Western Force will be in an Australian or trans Tasman league. Fijian Latui will be in one of those competitions. The South China Tigers players will probably leave Hong Kong. China Lions players are Kiwis. Malaysia Valke players are Saffers. And Samoa cannot support a professional team.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 22:33

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I'm sure GRR is finished anyway. Western Force will be in an Australian or trans Tasman league. Fijian Latui will be in one of those competitions. The South China Tigers players will probably leave Hong Kong. China Lions players are Kiwis. Malaysia Valke players are Saffers. And Samoa cannot support a professional team.

you probably right .... when OZ and NZ unions managers will understand that their futur was in Asia ... it would be too late because of the Japanese new league

Concerning Hawaii it's only 3 hours (by plane off course) from the main continental part (I dont include Alaska off course)

Largely more interesting that asia, for example a flight Incheon - Honolulu you need 13 hours .... it's long .... very long ..... even in first class ....

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 23:11

Oh, it is realy official https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/majo ... hip-group/ they are talking about 2021!

I think it is awesome professional rugby in Hawaii. They have strong College Football and Basketball, but no professional (non-university) teams in any sport, right?

Anyway, this also brings travel issues (and costs) for most teams, I guess. Is it too expensive? It if 2 hours earlier than California, so... MLR will have 6 hours difference from Hawaii to NY. It feels like Siberians in the Russian league :lol: (in fact, worse, because Krasnoyarsk is 5 hours later than Moscow IIRC... )

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Thu, 09 Jul 2020, 23:51

victorsra wrote:Oh, it is realy official https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/majo ... hip-group/ they are talking about 2021!

I think it is awesome professional rugby in Hawaii. They have strong College Football and Basketball, but no professional (non-university) teams in any sport, right?

Anyway, this also brings travel issues (and costs) for most teams, I guess. Is it too expensive? It if 2 hours earlier than California, so... MLR will have 6 hours difference from Hawaii to NY. It feels like Siberians in the Russian league :lol: (in fact, worse, because Krasnoyarsk is 5 hours later than Moscow IIRC... )

that's why the concept of conference is important to save money (like your local championships in brasil)

no professional teams ... the pro bowl was organised there for many years ... clearly a gift from the NFL to its best players

https://www.wrightrealtors.com/links/sp ... sports.htm

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 00:02

And countdown to see the team renamed with a drink name :lol:

Hawaii Chi Chi

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 00:38

victorsra wrote:And countdown to see the team renamed with a drink name :lol:

Hawaii Chi Chi

or according the video the Hawaii Mass Boobies

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 02:46

sounds good finally

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... team-2021/

the university of hawaii stadium after redevelopment (which could accept only some gridiron football matches) could be used and I like the name based on a local god called Kanaloa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaloa

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 06:35

victorsra wrote:Oh, it is realy official https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/majo ... hip-group/ they are talking about 2021!

Read some posts on the MLR facebook page, that apparently the Hawaiian government and Hawaiian airways might be on board and will cover most if not all of the travel costs. Looks like MLR is really taking off next year. Great!
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 08:12

Am I the only one who's hesitant about MLR expanding any further? If the league was getting crowds of 9,000 - 10,000 then I wouldn't be as concerned, but the league is still very much in its infancy.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 08:29

victorsra wrote:And countdown to see the team renamed with a drink name :lol:

Hawaii Chi Chi

Surely Hawaii Gil Gil

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum