Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 19:23

nick511 wrote:Well an article I read in RNZ pretty much explains the model the ownership group are looking at. Which is basing any Super Rugby team out of South Auckland and keeping the MLR team separate. The article only mentions that they would "coordinate them together". Which isn't unexpected but disappointing that they are willing to take it away from the Islands and basically have another Super team in Auckland.

Auckland is already quite a filled market, south Auckland has a large Polynesian community but it would be highly competitive with league which has a strong established base there and thats not even getting into venues.

So all this talk about having an Hawaiian based Super Rugby team was premature the owners clearly set out to run two different teams in two different competitions away from each other.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/421161 ... rugby-side

Yes this makes much more sense. I still think it would be kind of silly to have another team in Auckland so I question their plans but much better than 2 teams in Hawaii.

They can have one off games in Hawaii, that is a different story.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 15:16

The women's soccer league in US is attracting celebrity ownership:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... angel-city

Maybe time to ask Russel Crowe and Hugh Jackson and other celebs from Rugby lands to look at MLR.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 00:27

Nice bit of organic news here. Rugby ATL have adopted the fan nickname 'Rattlers', which is something you don't really see these days anymore in sport. Hopefully RUNY figures out a nickname too.

https://twitter.com/usmlr/status/1293623282944446465

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 02:25

thatrugbyguy wrote:Nice bit of organic news here. Rugby ATL have adopted the fan nickname 'Rattlers', which is something you don't really see these days anymore in sport. Hopefully RUNY figures out a nickname too.

A week old. :D

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 05:51

Am I late to the RUNY nickname? lol.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 22:39

thatrugbyguy wrote:Nice bit of organic news here. Rugby ATL have adopted the fan nickname 'Rattlers', which is something you don't really see these days anymore in sport. Hopefully RUNY figures out a nickname too.

I don't understand. Is it still Rugby ATL or they will be called Atlanta Rattlers?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 00:27

It's Rugby ATL and they have coined "Ratlers" (Rugby ATLers) as the nickname for their fans.

Let's say US ultras culture is a bit weird from European and South American POV and even weirder in a rugby context besides Argentina and some French clubs...
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ers-groups

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 02:24

I was just hopig they change name :lol:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 06:52

Armchair Fan wrote:It's Rugby ATL and they have coined "Ratlers" (Rugby ATLers) as the nickname for their fans.

Let's say US ultras culture is a bit weird from European and South American POV and even weirder in a rugby context besides Argentina and some French clubs...
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ers-groups

The start of the article is incompetent. In 1996 the British Hooligan culture was in decline, but not the Ultra culture, which probably reached its peak in the mid 2000s. It is massive in Germany or other countries which actually still allow to stand in the stands. With Germany being the country with the highest average attendance for soccer matches, you can't simply say that's not a thing.
If you want to read a surprisingly good article read the German wikipedia entry. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Bewegung

But to be honest, after that the article gets better. I think in general the whole Ultra-movement is a bit ridiculous, but is and was a driving factor of people going to soccer. There are more people than you would think that basically watch soccer for the camaraderie in the stands and not that much for the sport itself. And it looks that's the case in the MLS as well. It just looks a bit more plastic like everything in the USA. But way less plastic than the regular popcorn/pizza/beer and clapping hands on the screen American sports fan. The colour difference should be a nightmare for producing any merchandise with this logo on.

About the ATL, this is still worse than any Gilcocktail in my books. The logo looks like a mid 90ies metal band, who asked their village artist to make them a band logo.
To compare to another sport. That's what the Seattle Kraken (an NHL expansion team and what a great name) look like.https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2 ... me-kraken/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 13:25

Kraken a great name? Lol...

What's wrong with popcorn/pizza/beer?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 14:01

At least someone agrees with me Rugby ATL isn't a proper name and the badge is lazy.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 14:44

jonny24 wrote:Kraken a great name? Lol...

I might be biased, but the German word is Krake and there is no association/homonym with sth. bad like crackhead etc.
Ice-hockey is played on frozen water, so a dangerous, mysterious, gigantic and life-threatening water animal is a great choice in my books.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 14:48

if some MLR teams don't want the traditional USA scheme of City + Fancy name, they could at least follow MLS and use names like Atlanta Rugby, Atlanta RC, Atlanta RFC, New York United, New York RFC, New York Rugby.... it sounds more natural, it communicates bette. I don't know why MLR some MLR clubs opted for name different from North American leagues traditions. Doesn't sound a smart thing to do.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 00:18

I think more sporting teams should follow in Rugby ATL's footsteps and allow the nickname to come through naturally. Many, if not most sporting clubs across the world that are more than 50 years old developed their nicknames organically as opposed to what happens today where there are people in boardrooms tossing around names to use for the brand. Allowing a nickname to come from the supporters makes the whole thing very much more like a community team. And honestly, this one is just clever. I guarantee you no-one in the boardroom of Rugby ATL would ever have looked at their name and thought "If we shorten it to RATL it kinda looks like rattle".

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 01:32

I agree with you. Nicknames coming from the fans is basicaly the rule in soccer in almost all the world and also in rugby in places like France, Argentina...

But Atlanta could simply have a proper full name, like Atlanta Rugby. "Rugby ATL" sounds a sketch of a team :lol: IMO, it is in the Top 10 worst names in the history of sports in the world (after LA Giltinis and Austin Gilgronis) :P

I realy like MLR, but it has a serious naming issue.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 01:49

Is it known why LA Giltinis is still out of MLR's website? https://www.majorleague.rugby/teams/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 07:43

Just a map

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 21:25

RugbyLiebe wrote:

I might be biased, but the German word is Krake and there is no association/homonym with sth. bad like crackhead etc.
Ice-hockey is played on frozen water, so a dangerous, mysterious, gigantic and life-threatening water animal is a great choice in my books.

It's popularity seems to be almost entirely based on a meme, that's all.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 07:12

jonny24 wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

It's popularity seems to be almost entirely based on a meme, that's all.

Never seen a Kraken meme at all. I see it more as the fascinations, that in the most unknown parts of our planet there might be lurking a gigantic and surprisingly smart animal (there have been found dead Pacific Kraken with 270kg and around 9,5m diameter.). That's fascinating. Also the name really sounds cool in German. As it is a great combination of hard pronounced consonants at the start and then a really soft vocal.

Sorry, I didn't answer the popcorn/pizza/beer-thing. There is nothing wrong with that. Just to explain: From a Euro or South/- Middle American perspective the average attendant to a North American sport is incredible lame. Just sitting and eating and watching. Everywhere else you got chants from most of the attendance etc. More consumer than fans (yeah a bit of a view of adulescents and romantic what fans are, but I think that would be the average view of a Latino/Euro sports fan).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 15:46

https://images.app.goo.gl/w45ox9ssFp1VeySN7

From Clash of the Titans and Pirates of the Caribbean - both with the guy going "Release the kraken!" .... That became a meme, and although it's hard to tell since it's been ten years since those memes have been around, it doesn't seem like there's any "common" knowledge or conceptions about the kraken here.

And idk what to tell you, maybe baseball is more boring and just sitting watching, but then I get the impression cricket is like that too- more leisurely sports. But the fans definitely get involved in football. There's nothing as good as forcing the other team to take a time-count violation since they can't communicate with each other over the noise.

The soccer people try to push the singing/"chanting". It seems incredibly forced and lame. We only sat in that area for one game before we said screw this, I want to actually watch a game, not do forced pun-based singalong jumping around with grown adults.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 16:48

If there is one thing soccer culture isn't is "forced". Maybe for clubs born yesterday. Almost all Latin-american and European clubs are popular for like a hundred years old or more, the fans culture (the flags, nicknames, music, etc) is extremely dense and old. That's what happens when you don't relocate or rename (or shut down!) sports teams.

I know many NHL and MLB teams are that old too, but those are cultures that evolved through time. They aren't plastic.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 17:19

jonny24 wrote:https://images.app.goo.gl/w45ox9ssFp1VeySN7

From Clash of the Titans and Pirates of the Caribbean - both with the guy going "Release the kraken!" .... That became a meme, and although it's hard to tell since it's been ten years since those memes have been around, it doesn't seem like there's any "common" knowledge or conceptions about the kraken here.

And idk what to tell you, maybe baseball is more boring and just sitting watching, but then I get the impression cricket is like that too- more leisurely sports. But the fans definitely get involved in football. There's nothing as good as forcing the other team to take a time-count violation since they can't communicate with each other over the noise.

The soccer people try to push the singing/"chanting". It seems incredibly forced and lame. We only sat in that area for one game before we said screw this, I want to actually watch a game, not do forced pun-based singalong jumping around with grown adults.

The Seattle Kraken name isn't that bad. Krake heads and drake house aside it will be quite interesting to see how they sell it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 17:42

Kraken wasn't invented by the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie. It is a Nordic Middle Age legend. It appears in classic literature, Moby Dick for exemple. Ok, it is pop because of the meme, but it isn't a meme.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 17:49

I know its from that, but literally every single person who I've talked about the Seattle team with has just gone "Yeah the Kraken! Release the kraken! Lol!" And that's it. If it's a hockey person then the obligatory "should have been Quebec though" .
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 19:18

victorsra wrote:if some MLR teams don't want the traditional USA scheme of City + Fancy name, they could at least follow MLS and use names like Atlanta Rugby, Atlanta RC, Atlanta RFC, New York United, New York RFC, New York Rugby.... it sounds more natural, it communicates bette. I don't know why MLR some MLR clubs opted for name different from North American leagues traditions. Doesn't sound a smart thing to do.

Both Atlanta Rugby and New York Rugby / New York RFC are taken by local clubs so those aren’t available, unfortunately.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum