Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 18:35

Thomas wrote:Mexico's plan is for MLR Team is a HUGE IF..

Points 2 and 3 should be their priority. The women's programme needs to be made a priority then bring MLR Team into play.

Further they need to be more professional in how they run the competitions and Union.

Also the current situation of COVID in Mexico City has changed everything.


It's a 10 year strategic plan. It also requires a private investor to fund and own the team. For example, USAR and Rugby Canada's Strategic plans have never been longer than 4 years. Heck the current one that USAR has is as bad as the last three which have all been very bad. Rugby Mexico taking a long look is important

Also, ARN and EoD only got one slide of the presentation. We did not get anything else from the Rugby Mexico's AGM which lasted several hours.

Canadian_Rugger wrote:BC needs an MLR team. It needs to be in Vancouver as well. It, along with Toronto, would quite easily be one of the stronger clubs in the league.

MLR is the way forward for the game in Canada and the sooner the BCRU gets on board, the better.



It's not about the BC Rugby Union anymore. There may have been some connected attempts by folks in the BCRU to run a bid, but the money required now is well beyond their means. This requires someone or some group with deep pockets. Rugby Canada has already sanctioned the league. Generally, the BC Premier League talent base is still decently high that you could populate 20-30 players from the league with key foreign player adds that they could field a competitive team. How long that remains the case will become fleeting. But I'd say if a group bids and wins the right to membership in the next two years it would remain the case.

Posts: 96
Joined: Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 04:38
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Rebus » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 20:45

[/quote]It's not about the BC Rugby Union anymore. There may have been some connected attempts by folks in the BCRU to run a bid, but the money required now is well beyond their means. This requires someone or some group with deep pockets. Rugby Canada has already sanctioned the league. Generally, the BC Premier League talent base is still decently high that you could populate 20-30 players from the league with key foreign player adds that they could field a competitive team. How long that remains the case will become fleeting. But I'd say if a group bids and wins the right to membership in the next two years it would remain the case.[/quote]

If there is not a second team would there be the possibility that the Toronto team becomes a strong Canadian only team with many of the international players playing across the US based MLR teams or playing in Europe

Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 05:43

Rebus wrote:
If there is not a second team would there be the possibility that the Toronto team becomes a strong Canadian only team with many of the international players playing across the US based MLR teams or playing in Europe


There are more Canadians playing south of the border than there are contracted to Toronto. So as much it would be helpful, it's not too necessary from the national team perspective. But BC is a massive Rugby market that needs to be captured by having an MLR franchise there. There are as many amateur rugby players in Canada as there are in the US when it comes to member registrations.

Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 09:00

I really do think Vancouver and Toronto should have really come about at the same time.

Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 23:58

thatrugbyguy wrote:I really do think Vancouver and Toronto should have really come about at the same time.


Yes we all wanted this but it wasn’t an active decision to exclude Vancouver. No money = no franchise.

Posts: 667
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 31 Dec 2020, 22:21

First of all , the BCRU needs to keep their fingers out of any MLR team that may land in the Province (Victoria or Vancouver)

Second. i've heard that there is a group mumbling about a possible franchise in BC and they are looking at the financial implications of if it should be in Victoria or Vancouver. Victoria has a new appropriate sized stadium, where Vancouver doesn't have anything new, and the ones they do are far away from everything.

Posts: 16
Joined: Fri, 12 Jun 2020, 20:38
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Sat, 02 Jan 2021, 09:40

snapper37 wrote:First of all , the BCRU needs to keep their fingers out of any MLR team that may land in the Province (Victoria or Vancouver)

Second. i've heard that there is a group mumbling about a possible franchise in BC and they are looking at the financial implications of if it should be in Victoria or Vancouver. Victoria has a new appropriate sized stadium, where Vancouver doesn't have anything new, and the ones they do are far away from everything.


One thing that will be interesting is if/when Vancouver gets a team is whether the team is allowed to put a reserve team or a u-23 team in the bc premiership somewhere down the line. Obviously the BCRU would have to decide whether it would be to big of gap in skill and who whether first team players would be allowed to play coming off an injury or something. I'd think it would be a decent idea as it allows these players to get time playing actual games at a decent level; however this ever happening would probably over a decade away as I don't think any team currently or has plans for a reserve or u-23 team.

Posts: 667
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 04 Jan 2021, 03:15

Pro(p) Kicker wrote:
snapper37 wrote:First of all , the BCRU needs to keep their fingers out of any MLR team that may land in the Province (Victoria or Vancouver)

Second. i've heard that there is a group mumbling about a possible franchise in BC and they are looking at the financial implications of if it should be in Victoria or Vancouver. Victoria has a new appropriate sized stadium, where Vancouver doesn't have anything new, and the ones they do are far away from everything.


One thing that will be interesting is if/when Vancouver gets a team is whether the team is allowed to put a reserve team or a u-23 team in the bc premiership somewhere down the line. Obviously the BCRU would have to decide whether it would be to big of gap in skill and who whether first team players would be allowed to play coming off an injury or something. I'd think it would be a decent idea as it allows these players to get time playing actual games at a decent level; however this ever happening would probably over a decade away as I don't think any team currently or has plans for a reserve or u-23 team.



Lets just hope Vancouver can get a team before what happens with a reverse grade team.

Posts: 667
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 10 Jan 2021, 20:28

Anyword on what the Toronto Arrows are going to do? They obviously aren't playing in Toronto as there won't be any cross border travel.

User avatar
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 16:02
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 15 Jan 2021, 02:28

snapper37 wrote:Anyword on what the Toronto Arrows are going to do? They obviously aren't playing in Toronto as there won't be any cross border travel.


They said on a podcast they have plans to play doubleheaders at other East MLR teams before the border opens.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

Posts: 667
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 15 Jan 2021, 17:41

jonny24 wrote:
snapper37 wrote:Anyword on what the Toronto Arrows are going to do? They obviously aren't playing in Toronto as there won't be any cross border travel.


They said on a podcast they have plans to play doubleheaders at other East MLR teams before the border opens.



It's one thing to play double headers and it's another thing to relocate the whole team to the States until the Border opens. I can't see the team quarantining every time they return to Canada in-between games. .

Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 16 Jan 2021, 16:55

If the Border isn't open, I doubt that they will be returning to Canada. I don't think they're traveling either, likely playing at one ground in the South for their home matches.

Posts: 667
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 16 Jan 2021, 20:18

TheStroBro wrote:If the Border isn't open, I doubt that they will be returning to Canada. I don't think they're traveling either, likely playing at one ground in the South for their home matches.



Thats what i think also. and have heard rumours of locating to a City that is hoping to secure a team in the future to test the waters of a fan base. The problem with staying in the states for the whole season is some of these players are part time players and the expenditure will be huge...

Posts: 1602
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 17 Jan 2021, 20:47

snapper37 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:If the Border isn't open, I doubt that they will be returning to Canada. I don't think they're traveling either, likely playing at one ground in the South for their home matches.



Thats what i think also. and have heard rumours of locating to a City that is hoping to secure a team in the future to test the waters of a fan base. The problem with staying in the states for the whole season is some of these players are part time players and the expenditure will be huge...


The team should consider relocating to Russia for the season. The expenditure might be a lot lower.

Posts: 9065
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 19 Jan 2021, 20:42

Dallas only in 2022 https://www.dallasjackals.com/news/dall ... n-to-2022/

At least it makes it easier to do the draw, 12 teams, like in 2020 (but Colorado out, LA in).

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:22
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Scoob » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 20:13

Have been trolling the major league rugby players that are elegible for U.S.A eagles,and the clubs have been doing overtime in finding elegible players for the eagles. This coming season i have 12 new players that were born in U.S.A or have parents grandparents that were American born and all between 20 and 24 years of age.
They are descent rugby players to,having represented NZL,england,Argentina etc at youth level.
The best of them look to be.
Harrison Boyle first five born in USA but under 20 NZL rep squad member.
Harry Barlow Centre that was on fringes of England under 20 side
Joe Johnston flanker from NZL.
Joel Miranda USA born fullback that was not far off Argentina selection at one stage.
There are others props,loosies,backs.
USA eagles going to have some kind of in years to come.

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:22
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Scoob » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 20:25

And a few more.
Connor Mcmanus halfback played for Canterbury in NZL I.T.M cup this year.
Benjamin Bonasso flanker was in extended Argentina squad in 2019.
Luke Cartey first five is rated highly having played in Ireland.

Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Sun, 07 Feb 2021, 21:16

MLR teams are actively recruiting players that are US eligible. Teams are even posting it in the announcement. They want to benefit the national team but it also means they won’t count towards the foreign player cap. Win-win.

Posts: 327
Joined: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:22
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Scoob » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 03:18

What the Eagles need is more players in the backline that can open up defences,this goes for most tier 2 nations. The rugby world cup team of 2019 did the basics well,but there attacking threat was below par.
Lets see how these new players go at M.L.R this season. But if your in and around age grade teams for tier 1 nations,then you know there is talent there.
A lot of the current eagles squad in general are in and around 30years old.

Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 13:34

Defence is no longer the issue, it’s the attack that are letting T2 teams down.

Posts: 152
Joined: Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 10:15
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby welshdragon2000 » Mon, 08 Feb 2021, 15:08

Could you post that list of players on the Reddit page for MLR? Or if not, would you mind if I post that list?

Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 04:29

THE EXPONENTIAL GROWTH OF MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/the- ... gue-rugby/

"“We’re talking to about nine different cities that we’re not in right now – Chicago, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Honolulu and Miami, to name a few. "

Vancouver is noticeably absent here....

Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 07:22

thatrugbyguy wrote:THE EXPONENTIAL GROWTH OF MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/the- ... gue-rugby/

"“We’re talking to about nine different cities that we’re not in right now – Chicago, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Honolulu and Miami, to name a few. "

Vancouver is noticeably absent here....


Perhaps it's one of the others he didn't mention. Since he did say 'to name a few'.

Posts: 96
Joined: Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 04:38
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Rebus » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 07:30

thatrugbyguy wrote:THE EXPONENTIAL GROWTH OF MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/the- ... gue-rugby/

"“We’re talking to about nine different cities that we’re not in right now – Chicago, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Honolulu and Miami, to name a few. "

Vancouver is noticeably absent here....


He was quoted a few months ago in this article talking about expansion into Canada , I just think that the potential for growth is so exciting in the Americas it was difficult to name every city.

https://lastwordonsports.com/rugby/2020 ... -for-2021/

Posts: 9065
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 17:28

But Vancouver should pop up in this mind quickly if there was realy something going on.... it is North America's rugby stronghold....

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests