Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 22:21

People always talk about expanding to all these metro areas with large populations but fail to realize that population means nothing if there's no rugby support there. Yeah 3 teams in Texas is feasible if you look at the population only, but it means nothing when it's obvious there's little rugby support in Texas, case in point the two current Texan teams. Whoever wants to put up money will obviously dictate which cities get teams but I feel like a lot of the time fans clamber over each other for certain cities to get teams when there's very little interest in rugby there. This wasn't directed at any post I've read on here just a small rant at a common opinion I see often by MLR supporters.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 08:42

Yes, that's the whole problem of american sport ... I can understand it for NHL/NBA. They want to futhfill big arenas twice a week with expansive prices. They need many inhabitants ... same for football, with giant stadiums.
But here for rugby ... the league just need to start and be reliable. You need what ... 5K spectators per game short term. Mid/long term, 10k. So yes, you can find them in big metropolitan areas ... but you can be totally anonymous too, especially if you never really take off.
I understand there might be some logistics problems, but a 100K inhabitants city with a strong rugby culture, not too far from an airport, would be more than enough. Especially you become the number 1 sport there, the whole city can adopt the team. And that would give some special flavour to the league, different from the others.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 20:07

Scoob wrote:What the Eagles need is more players in the backline that can open up defences,this goes for most tier 2 nations. The rugby world cup team of 2019 did the basics well,but there attacking threat was below par.
Lets see how these new players go at M.L.R this season. But if your in and around age grade teams for tier 1 nations,then you know there is talent there.
A lot of the current eagles squad in general are in and around 30years old.

Honesty it’s tough to really get a gauge on the active roster. At least 3 players have retired from international play and the last game we played was at the World Cup almost 1.5 years ago. We have a lot of new young MLR players who either started playing last year or didn’t get looked at for the World Cup the year prior. I don’t think we will have anywhere near as tough of a transition as we did after 2015.

Now, the real question is whether or not we will be better than before with these players. That’s a different conversation all together. But I don’t think we will struggle as much finding new young players to replace the older ones, save a few positions.

National Flag:

State of the Rugby Union

Postby Rugby PickEm » Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 02:23

- MLR Teams report. Overseas players may struggle with pandemic travel restrictions, but that may create an early season opportunity for local domestic players (ideally young and uncapped at professional level).

- Dallas dispersal draft is under way. Some players have landed, others have yet to be announced. It's really good to see the league work hard to find the players who had been promised contracts in Dallas an opportunity somewhere else (ideally local to their upbringing, family, etc...).

*Update* #9th overall pick, AIC stud, Club 7s 2019 National Champ with WAC) Tommy Hunkin-Clark has signed with the Seattle Seawolves (2X usmlr Champs and home of the SeaWall). I've seen him dominate grown men at a young age (2019 Club National 7's in KC), and have complete confidence he'll end up in the Eagle pool at some stage during his rugby career. Washington talent staying local! Best of luck to Tommy and the Seawolves in the upcoming season. The 2018 Final MVP Vili Toluta'u announced he's moving on from Seattle after 3 years, so there will be fresh opportunities in the loosies.

- USA Rugby announces there will be no official organized club national tournament for the 2021 spring season. This is no surprise as different regions around the country are currently operating under different rules and regulations in regard to the pandemic. They are shaping up to come back with summer 7s. Can some players in the MLR make a seamless transition from the end of the MLR season straight into club 7s in their local cities ...? (One can only hope, but some players will be burned out after a long grind. The month of July will prove to be exciting with MLR entering playoffs and club 7s returning.)

http://www.rugbypickem.com/2021/02/state-of-rugby-union-2-11-21.html

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 03:30

Pro(p) Kicker wrote:People always talk about expanding to all these metro areas with large populations but fail to realize that population means nothing if there's no rugby support there. Yeah 3 teams in Texas is feasible if you look at the population only, but it means nothing when it's obvious there's little rugby support in Texas, case in point the two current Texan teams. Whoever wants to put up money will obviously dictate which cities get teams but I feel like a lot of the time fans clamber over each other for certain cities to get teams when there's very little interest in rugby there. This wasn't directed at any post I've read on here just a small rant at a common opinion I see often by MLR supporters.

This is incorrect. Dallas and Houston have quite a lot of Rugby clubs. Austin of the three had the smallest amount of senior clubs, but the Blacks and Huns have been in D1 a very long time. The amount of high school rugby in Austin is significant.

National Flag:

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 07:24

TheStroBro wrote:
Pro(p) Kicker wrote:People always talk about expanding to all these metro areas with large populations but fail to realize that population means nothing if there's no rugby support there. Yeah 3 teams in Texas is feasible if you look at the population only, but it means nothing when it's obvious there's little rugby support in Texas, case in point the two current Texan teams. Whoever wants to put up money will obviously dictate which cities get teams but I feel like a lot of the time fans clamber over each other for certain cities to get teams when there's very little interest in rugby there. This wasn't directed at any post I've read on here just a small rant at a common opinion I see often by MLR supporters.

This is incorrect. Dallas and Houston have quite a lot of Rugby clubs. Austin of the three had the smallest amount of senior clubs, but the Blacks and Huns have been in D1 a very long time. The amount of high school rugby in Austin is significant.

Have to strongly agree with TheStroBro. Texas has a very strong rugby community. The Dallas area has the most clubs of the three cities and Houston has a lot of clubs as wells. Some of the most attended USA rugby internationals matches have been in the city of Houston. The city of Houston also allowed the MLR team to build a stadium that often hosts college rugby games, high schools, and rookie rugby day camps. Austin Blacks and Austin Huns are the most dominant teams in the state and go to Nationals almost every year. All three cities have many high schools playing rugby with the Houston and Austin franchises having an academy each. There are also many expats in the state as well, leading to really good coaching and the standard of play is really competitive especially at the D1 and D2 club levels and the bigger high schools. The Texas rugby union is very well organized and very competitive. 3 MLR in the state will work and the natural rivalries between the cities will make for big games for bragging rights.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 13:22

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/coli ... s-angeles/
Very nice article about the new LA Giltinis team and “The Greatest Stadium in the World”. I think USA will soon host a RWC.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 01:36

Going through the teams,its hard to pick out an early winner.
i am liking New York,they seam to have good depth across all areas. Toronto Arrows look good,we will see how they do away from Canada.
Houston Sabercats, have some nice signings.
Atlanta looks to be weakest team.
U.S.A eagles team is shaping up good for 2023. They lack a little depth at Lock. Charlie Hewitt is elegible soon,so that will help.
Props depth is a little light. Good players at hooker,loose forwards,halfbacks,first five. Centres and ouside backs are interesting. Will be interesting to see how these USA elegible players they found perform.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 05:33

The LA Giltinis are my pick to win the competition this year. They’ve put together an excellent roster and they’ve added a lot of experience too. San Diego look weaker this year than last so I can’t see them winning. Toronto Arrows have a good squad also. Thinking about it, there’s a lot of evenly matched teams. Austin will be much improved. Atlanta will do fine I think.
I’m very excited for the new season too, especially with so many new US eligible players. I’m glad to see that there’ll be fans at games, albeit with reduced capacity, it’ll add a lot more to the games.
Anyone want to put out some ‘players to watch’ for the Eagles and for the season as a whole?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 06:14

welshdragon2000 wrote:The LA Giltinis are my pick to win the competition this year. They’ve put together an excellent roster and they’ve added a lot of experience too. San Diego look weaker this year than last so I can’t see them winning. Toronto Arrows have a good squad also. Thinking about it, there’s a lot of evenly matched teams. Austin will be much improved. Atlanta will do fine I think.
I’m very excited for the new season too, especially with so many new US eligible players. I’m glad to see that there’ll be fans at games, albeit with reduced capacity, it’ll add a lot more to the games.
Anyone want to put out some ‘players to watch’ for the Eagles and for the season as a whole?

I'm not overly sure the Legion are any weaker than last season. More that a number of the teams appear to have gotten stronger on paper. Which in itself is a big positive for the league.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 07:53

rugby-veterinarian wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Have to strongly agree with TheStroBro. Texas has a very strong rugby community. The Dallas area has the most clubs of the three cities and Houston has a lot of clubs as wells. Some of the most attended USA rugby internationals matches have been in the city of Houston. The city of Houston also allowed the MLR team to build a stadium that often hosts college rugby games, high schools, and rookie rugby day camps. Austin Blacks and Austin Huns are the most dominant teams in the state and go to Nationals almost every year. All three cities have many high schools playing rugby with the Houston and Austin franchises having an academy each. There are also many expats in the state as well, leading to really good coaching and the standard of play is really competitive especially at the D1 and D2 club levels and the bigger high schools. The Texas rugby union is very well organized and very competitive. 3 MLR in the state will work and the natural rivalries between the cities will make for big games for bragging rights.

I can't talk about grass roots level in Texas because I know nothing about it but it appears that there is little interest in watching the sport. Both were right at the bottom of attendance for the 2019 season, though Houston did draw well for the 2 games at Aveva. Texas doesn't strike me as a place that needs or should have 3 teams when there are so many great states/cities that haven't got a single team yet that deserve one. But then again money talks I guess.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 23:25

Are we any closer to knowing what a Giltini actually is?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 00:21

LA Giltinis can become the biggest fail ever... huge stadium and a bizarre uncool name.... it has everything to have matchdays with cemetery atmosphere....

I hope they do an outstading marketing work to bring fans to the stadium...

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 08:58

I'm really surprized to see them using such a big stadium. That can bring some importance to their team, but that big a big failure yes ... I hope for them (and for US rugby) they have a good plan with this.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 17:47

victorsra wrote:LA Giltinis can become the biggest fail ever... huge stadium and a bizarre uncool name.... it has everything to have matchdays with cemetery atmosphere....

I hope they do an outstading marketing work to bring fans to the stadium...

That stadium is super old and barley used, which I'm sure they got for a great price.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 19:14

Pro(p) Kicker wrote:
rugby-veterinarian wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I can't talk about grass roots level in Texas because I know nothing about it but it appears that there is little interest in watching the sport. Both were right at the bottom of attendance for the 2019 season, though Houston did draw well for the 2 games at Aveva. Texas doesn't strike me as a place that needs or should have 3 teams when there are so many great states/cities that haven't got a single team yet that deserve one. But then again money talks I guess.

There are a few reasons why this is the cause but the main one is that both teams have sucked. Austin kept jumping around to different fields in different cities until finally getting a proper home field in a better location.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 23:54

Tobar wrote:
There are a few reasons why this is the cause but the main one is that both teams have sucked. Austin kept jumping around to different fields in different cities until finally getting a proper home field in a better location.

Well, mostly because Austin sucked. They had two previous field locations. But Round Rock MPC and Dell Diamond are literally in the same park complex. The drive between parking lots is 6 minutes per google maps. And somehow where COTA is, is considered "Austin" and Round Rock is Round Rock. :?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 02 Mar 2021, 00:56

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:

Well, mostly because Austin sucked. They had two previous field locations. But Round Rock MPC and Dell Diamond are literally in the same park complex. The drive between parking lots is 6 minutes per google maps. And somehow where COTA is, is considered "Austin" and Round Rock is Round Rock. :?

If all the chatter about the previous ownership groups relationship with the local Austin Rugby community were true that wouldn't have helped all that much.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum