Handball 209

Baseball 141
Field Hockey 137
Cricket 104
Rugby 102

Ice Hockey 81
Korfball 68
Netball 49

So, in terms of global reach, volleyball and handball are two of the most widespread International team ball sports

World Rugby has 124 members, being 103 full members and 21 associate members (Wikipedia is not updated). We must count the Associate Members, as cricket counts theirs (Cricket has only 12 full members). https://www.world.rugby/organisation/me ... associates

But I think rugby is the only sport that has dozens of countries that are members of continental federations but not of the international federation, which is a bit bizarre. This doesn't happen with basketball, handball or volleyball.... but happens with football! There is a couple of countries that are Concacaf and OFC members but not FIFA's (and I'm not talking only about those French territories that can't be part of FIFA).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Wed, 14 Oct 2020, 23:01

Here is the number of countries with continental membership but out of World Rugby. I won't count the French regions that can't be members of the international federation.

- Rugby Europe (6): Estonia, Belarus, Montenegro, Iceland, San Marino, Liechtenstein;
- Sudamerica Rugby (5): Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Bolivia;
- Rugby Americas North (4): Belize, Curaçao, Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos;
- Rugby Africa (14): Benin, Cameroon (still listed!), Central Africa, Chad, Congo, DR Congo, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger, Seychelles, Sierra Leone,
- Asia Rugby (9): Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Iraq, Macau, Nepal, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Syria;
- Oceania Rugby (3): New Caledonia, Nauru, Tuvalu;
Total: 41

So, rugby's real number is .... or should be.... 165. More than baseball, although I don't know if baseball has the same issue.

And it could be 167 if Greece and Ecuador weren't suspended from Rugby Europe and Sudamerica Rugby.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum